Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Boating and Fishing
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM
+

Thanked 2,828 Times in 914 Posts
Default My pack rod.

Advertise Here

Been using these for trips into the back country when taking a 2 piece isn't feasible. Have caught more fish than I can count. Like any sectional rod the action is a tradeoff, but it hasn't proven to be of much consequence to me.

Eagle Claw Pack-it... can be found for around $20
Length: 16.5" collapsed, 5'6" extended.
Does not come with a case, but easy enough to make one out of pvc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Hunter

If you don't like the action, you can always just change that part. I would buy another action and install it, then buy another pole and put that action on it, then you can use it as a spare, loaner, or sell it.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Question your government

I keep a 6 pc flyrod in my truck behind the seat and also pack it when backcountry hiking/camping quite a bit simmilar to this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Hiker

i bought a nice fly rod 4peice from bass pro shop for $130. bass pro even had free training on sundays to teach me how to use it. its fun but when theres trees in the way behind you its really tuff to cast
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Question your government

Mike, they are tricky but there's a few things you can do .YouTube the roll cast and bow and arrow cast for those situations. Tight lines!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Trapper

Telescopic rods are ok for spinning, but nearly always useless for flyfishing. I carry a Kilwell Safari 7'3" 4 piece that will do either spin or fly depending on the reel position. Nice rod, I've caught some good fish on it over the years. A PVC rod tube up the side of your pack is no strain to live with. A shorter fly rod is a mixed blessing, much easier to use and carry on enclosed water but you lose out on distance or power to beat a head wind on more open water. Learning a good roll cast or cross cast is vital for 'tight' water. Practice with your back to a wall is useful.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:42 PM
+

Thanked 2,828 Times in 914 Posts

The one nice thing about the telescopics is how quickly they are collapsed and extended if you need to move through serious terrain between holes. However.... The 3pc Ugly Stick has become my go to pack rod. I love this thing.

I have a couple very nice packable flyrods, but they collect dust. A 5' spinning rod with an ultra light spinning reel is perfect for my purposes. 1/16oz white UV coated rooster tails work consistently year round in my next of the woods.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 PM

I used to have an Eagle Claw 4 piece spin/fly combo. It was stolen from me and I would love to get another.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Recent Blog:

BassPro has a very nice one. I have used mine on several occasions. Well made and packs nicely in it's own tube.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions
i am going to start a BO Fishing Kit.
and i am going to either start with the 3pc Ugly Stick or the Eagle Pack it.
which ever i can find conveniently.

Has anyone a LIST of what else I should add to this Kit?
I haven't fished since i was a child.
and I am very wary of buying ready made KITS.

but I have a couple of boats, and I can test drive the kit in my jon boat, to get some practice.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCH PACKER View Post
If you don't like the action, you can always just change that part. I would buy another action and install it, then buy another pole and put that action on it, then you can use it as a spare, loaner, or sell it.
How exactly do you change an action on a fishing rod? What do you mean by "install a new action"

I have been fishing for 20+ years and never heard of installing a new action on a rod and reel.

I think the OP means the action of the bait and how the rod handles it, Not changing out parts.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Question your government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasergirl View Post

but I have a couple of boats, and I can test drive the kit in my jon boat, to get some practice.
The best kit you can put together is one that has the tackle/lures designed for the area you are in, or are preparing to be in.
A lot of tackle will catch multiple species of fish in various areas, then some wont.
I spend half of my time in the Fl Keys and the other half in the mountains of CO so I have two completely opposite sets of gear that stay in each state. If I brought my Co gear to Fl to fish, it would be under-gunned, rusted out and worthless in a matter of time. Likewise, if I brought my Fl gear to CO, it would be extreme overkill and would have a hard time trying to catch small and spooky river trout on heavy gear and tackle.
I would recommend talking to a fishing guide or maybe just a local fisher-person and ask what they recommend.
I would also try to stay away from things like lead weights and anything extra heavy if you plan on packing it. In a SHTF scenario, you will be able to improvise needed tackle weight with metals and the like that you will more than likely be able to find laying around.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1142 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Trapper

My preferred BO fishing kit would be couple of pre-made wire type spear heads, 2-4 prong. A strong torch would be useful, too. The main target species in my rivers and streams are eels and trout, with frogs from spring to early autumn. Taking both during the day is do-able but last afternoon-dark is better. Also useful, small packet of #2 hooks and a common nylon spool hand line, say 30lb, thick enough to handle easily and stong enough to cope with 10lb trout or 20+ lb eels. Either that big are unlikely but not at all impossible.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,946 Times in 4,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasergirl View Post

Fishing tackle can be species specific, but there are many lures and bait rigs that work nearly every where.

Spinners, Buzzbait and a couple of sizes of Mepps and Panther Martin spinners.

Spoons, I've caught nearly every type of fish on Red/White Daredevil spoons.

Plugs, I carry a few diving plugs (Lazy Ikes), surface plugs (Rapallas & Hula poppers).

Plastics, Texas rigged plastic worms, Timber Doodles.

Bait rigs, Lindy Rigs, Salmon Eggs, Egg sinkers, circle hooks.

Bottom lures, lead head jigs, castmaster spoons, tail spinners.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Run Awaaaay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashashin View Post
How exactly do you change an action on a fishing rod? What do you mean by "install a new action"

I have been fishing for 20+ years and never heard of installing a new action on a rod and reel.

I think the OP means the action of the bait and how the rod handles it, Not changing out parts.
I believe he was referring to changing the grip and reel seat. You can actually stiffen the action of a rod by taking an inch or two off the tip and installing a new tip. My pack rod is a two-piece 4.5 foot ultralight with about two inches taken off the tip and about three inches off the butt of the handle. It has more of a light action now, and can handle more tasks. As for the telescopes, I have had nothing but trouble with telescopic rods (they always break on me).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Retreat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Got a collapsable set from basspro, shakespeare I think it is. Not a very good spinner, but it was cheap.