Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Recent Blog:

Default Barn and property I bought to homestead

Advertise Here

I bought this barn and property (10+) acres with hopes of converting barn to living quarters. I am going to power it with solar/wind and it already has a well drilled next to barn. The advice, information and ideas from the site are incredible. You guys are amazing. I am very lucky to have found this site. I paid 27,500.00 for this, and hope it turns out well. I like the stables under the barn.

The Following 134 Users Say Thank You to Sturedman For This Useful Post:
223shootersc, 357revolverfan, 73scamp, 9111315, Abnrml1, Absolutely!, Adapter, allye, AnarchoPrimitivistMN, Armed in Alpharetta, bayez, BCWoods, bill may, Bloom, BoycottTheDay, BugOutBicycle, bunny, calidreamer, Catherine_MT, cby, Charles Martel, ChickenLittle14, Christianman, coinshooter, Combatsldr, Daisy, darlenea, davin, dealfinder500, deanathpc, Deputy Dawg, desertdiva, Double S, DUKE WAYNE, escape, fci1998, funhousejoe, FWFRazorX, gamgee, GhostHunter, GhostPepper5K, Glocktastic, Gobigorange, GotTheCrohns, grandma, Gray Man, GreenPurgatory, Grits, grizzly22485, Gypsymoonfarm, hawkbern, helland bach, hrhcc, I Buried My Guns, IamZeke, IdahoGard'ner, Imax1023, inMichigan, jkdetonator, Joboo, joes, JohnSmoke, jojo64155, JTGinnings, justallan1, KCFirepower, krazycajun2, L.Adams, maat, madscotsman26, MC Ain't Crazy, MeBeMike, merlinfire, MikeV1234, Mjbarb, mountainmanx, ms,hillbilly, MSTA57, Mtnhooch, Mtnman Mike, Nomad-max, outside the box, packitnow, pasoldy, PaulaMM, PetrolBurner, Pezz, Prairie Dog, prepgal, PreppinMouse, pyrenees, Ramona M. Faunce, RealMan, RegionPrepper, REM, Ric, RLD, roach2654, SamboRoberts, Sanderhawk, Savvivalist, Sawhead, shadowrider, Shawnsolo, Skyking, snipermedic, southtex, Speth, SSGNasty, Steve28, Steverino, stugpanzer, Sumatra, Summer, survive, SurviveTheDay, tackleberry2000, tadbitangelny, tandt7780, tastythreads, TENNGRIZZ, The Bladesmith, ToledoEngineer, Tommy Kaira, toobboy, txflyer, vera21375, vetvet, voyuer1, Watch Ryder, Woody951, Xion, Xxpatrickxx, zemio
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Recent Blog:

I forgot to mention, it is just a little south of Cambridge, OH. About an hour from where I live. I have 5 years to get it together before for retirement. If circumstances give our country that long lol
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sturedman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM
At Sugent

Thanked 1,249 Times in 492 Posts

How much do you think it will cost you to make the barn "livable" in the winter?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hebegbz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Recent Blog:

My budget for this is $30,000. I wouldn't need the whole barn for living space. I thought of maybe just one side, or even the loft of it, and have the full barn below for storage and such.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sturedman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Trapper

The absolute first thing I'd do and do quickly is to get it checked for termites and get it sprayed/treated so they can't get a foothold in there. There is a company in wayne,ne that specializes in building post and beam structures (http://sandcreekpostandbeam.com/) that may be able to help with any remodeling of the barn for a living structure.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Great project!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Prepared

That's a great find...congratulations.

I would clear everything but the low vegetation for 200 feet in all directions, and then do a 5 foot buffer all around the foundation of something non-combustible, like crushed brick chips, gravel, or something of the like, as well as looking for some type of fire-retardant coating for the exterior.

Under the buffer I would install a piping loop below the frost line with frost-proof hydrants on each corner and maybe even a hose cabinet for firefighting.

A fast-moving wildfire or even a stray spark could be the tragic end to your retirement dreams.

Enjoy!!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to se'kunchance For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Recent Blog:

I also thought of just building a small house close to it, and just leaving the barn as is. Maybe put blueboard and T-111 on the siding. The barn is only about 25 years old. It rests on a block foundation that is in great shape. The siding was done like that on purpose the dry out hay and such. It has a shingled roof and gutters about 10 years old.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sturedman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Just Creepin'

The wood, from what I can tell, appears to be in excellent condition.. I would do as Supermag said and make sure to get it checked out for termites, or do it yourself as its rather easy (I used to check homes for termites for real estate agents). I would get some protective spraying done to help prevent any future issues; not only for termites but carpenter bees, several types of wood boring beetles etc.. Might look into spraying for rot prevention??

Could spray it yourself with something like Viper: I always had good luck with it for killing spiders, ants and termites

http://www.epestsupply.com/product/V...y-Concentrate/

I used to get 4oz for ~$15, granted it was about 8 yrs ago

Good Luck!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Xion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Recent Blog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion View Post
The wood, from what I can tell, appears to be in excellent condition.. I would do as Supermag said and make sure to get it checked out for termites, or do it yourself as its rather easy (I used to check homes for termites for real estate agents). I would get some protective spraying done to help prevent any future issues; not only for termites but carpenter bees, several types of wood boring beetles etc.. Might look into spraying for rot prevention??

Could spray it yourself with something like Viper: I always had good luck with it for killing spiders, ants and termites

http://www.epestsupply.com/product/V...y-Concentrate/

I used to get 4oz for ~$15, granted it was about 8 yrs ago

Good Luck!

Thanks, that is a definite thing to do. Most of the wood is cedar, and is in great condition. I would like to keep it that way. I would like to keep as much of it exposed as possible if I do the conversion to a house.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,374 Times in 519 Posts

The barn looks to be in good condition. Just a thought if you decide to reside it you may be able to sell the barn boards for a fairly good chunk of money. Some people pay 2 dollars plus a foot for old barn boards. The money could be used to fund the renovations on the barn or new guns/gear.

By the way I am jealous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Prepared

Windmill or solar pump for well.
Once you figure out how you want to weather proof your exterior walls spray foam insulation for living area. You can always expand later.
You can integrate solar water heater and radiant heat supported by a diesel generator or wood burning heat exchange.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,275 Posts

I expected the barn to be a piece of you know what from the price you paid. However, it looks to be in exceptional shape for what you paid. I think you got a really good deal. GB
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM

Off topic. Does your county have a cap on annual appraised value increases? I've heard horror stories of preppers taxed off their land because of improvements made. May need to factor that into your post retirement income planning.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pherby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Recent Blog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherby View Post
Off topic. Does your county have a cap on annual appraised value increases? I've heard horror stories of preppers taxed off their land because of improvements made. May need to factor that into your post retirement income planning.
That's a very good point I never thought of. Perhaps I should build the house inside the barn, and leave the outside the way it is....no one would be the wiser lol. That is something I will have to look into. As it stands now, taxes are less than $100 per year.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sturedman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 8,275 Times in 3,286 Posts

I would LOVE to find a setup like that around here. Very nice and thanks for sharing!

My vote would be to build a living space separate, perhaps like a small cabin or a shed-house.

Best of luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM
At Sugent

Thanked 1,249 Times in 492 Posts

One big problem with having your home out in the boonies is security. How to keep unwanted visitors out when you're not home.

Here's an idea.

You can get three 40' shipping containers.
Place them side by side on a sturdy foundation,alternating the doors front to back.
Bolt them together at the cleats with big bolts.
Cut out some of the sides to make a floor plan.
Now frame up the house inside of the containers.
Run your electrical and plumbing behind the Sheetrock, just like a regular house.
Remember to insulate the walls and ceiling, and you must caulk and seal every possible leak so as to not allow the air from inside to get behind your walls.

If you put several skylights in the ceiling, it won't be dark all the time either.

When you leave, you just lock your outer steel doors, and your house is secure.
It helps that your house doesn't look like a house either.

You can build such a house for about $20k.
I know, because I did.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hebegbz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,010 Times in 437 Posts

Congratulations on you purchase!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Recent Blog:

One concern I have hebegbz mentioned. I live in Wheeling and can only go on weekends to work on it. It is very remote and secluded. I don't know about how to start projects and secure them for when I'm not around. I can see one weekend framing in all the floor joists, and going out the next weekend only to find them gone lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sturedman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturedman View Post
I forgot to mention, it is just a little south of Cambridge, OH. About an hour from where I live. I have 5 years to get it together before for retirement. If circumstances give our country that long lol
That barn is very well built with some great timbers.

If it were mine I'd work to seal it in to live in. I'm pretty sure that you'd never be able to build such a well constructed home for $30k.

I've only seen one barn around here that was built that well and of such high grade materials. It was a really amazing barn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post: