Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
cjmorgan00 cjmorgan00 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Esee or BK



Advertise Here

What makes the Esee line of knives better than my BK-2 or any of the Becker knives?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Coyote Brown Coyote Brown is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wild in the streets.
Posts: 731
Thanks: 969
Thanked 588 Times in 312 Posts
Default

The Rowen heat treatment.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Coyote Brown Coyote Brown is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wild in the streets.
Posts: 731
Thanks: 969
Thanked 588 Times in 312 Posts
Default

Some may go on about the better sheaths or micarta and G-10 handles or even the best garantee in the biz.
For me the heat treatment that makes the 1095 flexible ,strong , edge retaining and the most sharp of any of my knives. ESEE's are the easiest to get hair popping sharp by hand sharpening.

Nothing wrong with your Becker collection. Use what you got , but it's not better to everyone.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
360's Avatar
360 360 is offline
This Space For Rent
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 71
Thanks: 54
Thanked 84 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I know an ESEE dealer
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is online now
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,472
Thanks: 14,737
Thanked 31,991 Times in 7,917 Posts
Default

The ESEE might be "better", but IMO, they ain't "2+ times-the-money" better, and I believe if they are, it's going to be in some largely miniscule way that won't be noticable in real world applications, they'll both do great at the jobs they're designed for. Unless money is not an issue, and bragging rights are, then the extra money spent on an ESEE over a Becker would be more wisly put into other preps.
And I say that as an owner of an ESEE4 and both the Becker Campanion and Necker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM
SSshane69 SSshane69 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manheim PA
Posts: 577
Thanks: 73
Thanked 387 Times in 231 Posts
Default

The best warranty in the Business, coupled with a great heat treat and simple how sharp and how easy it is to sharpen them back to there original condition. The micarta handles are a big plus, by the time you slap micarta handles on a BK2 you might as well have just bought the ESEE5. I'm not saying the Esee 5 is twice as good as a BK2. But if it was between the two, I definitely wouldn't mind paying for the ESEE5 again.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM
ridgebuggy's Avatar
ridgebuggy ridgebuggy is offline
Don't Tread On Me
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nunya
Age: 34
Posts: 216
Thanks: 158
Thanked 247 Times in 110 Posts
Default

I like both I have a bk9 and love it I have a bk2 don't like it at all..Have a esee 3 love it have a junglas love it..I believe if I had a esee 5 I would not like it because it is similar in thickness to the bk2.I like beckers handle shape, but esee's blades are top notch IMO+better sheath+better warranty.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Coyote Brown Coyote Brown is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wild in the streets.
Posts: 731
Thanks: 969
Thanked 588 Times in 312 Posts
Default

One thing over looked is ESEE cures people of knife collecting addiction , most of the time. For example: If you needed a stout 4" drop point for hunting and woods , the esee 4 will do the job. No doubt many times over, only personal fit creates any negative. One would never need to buy a knife of that type again. If you were to wear it down to an extreme or even broke it though very unlikely, it would be replaced no questions for life of the blade. Some addicts lose the addiction to buying the next best knife. Or be in a world of 40-80$ lemons for eternity. A double price for ones sanity and locked pocketbook again, starts to sound fair. Buy once , cry once and I am dang sure none of my esee's will let me down.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 PM
speedrrracer speedrrracer is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: On the ocean
Posts: 358
Thanks: 165
Thanked 649 Times in 228 Posts
Default

BK2 is a better value, but ESEE makes a better knife, not even close. That kind of quality costs a lot of money.

A knife isn't just some average prep...it's a lot more important than that. Lotta areas where spending more represents diminishing returns, but a knife? That's on par with shoes, water filtration, etc. Can't have a specimen that's "too good" when it comes to things in that category.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedrrracer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 AM
indoorsman's Avatar
indoorsman indoorsman is offline
Svensk hamster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 2,760
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default

I have a BK2 and I like it a lot, but both Bk and esee have the same problem; exposed tang. That is not all that great for winter use in very cold weather.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM
RedTail's Avatar
RedTail RedTail is offline
Psalm 23:4
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wild West
Posts: 861
Thanks: 2,132
Thanked 2,698 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Between the Esee4 and BK16 I picked the 16 because it felt better in my hand and I liked how the edge came closer to the handle. Sheath didnt matter because I was going to get a leather one either way. Certainly aint as pretty as the Esee but that dont mean s***. In fact I like that it has more the appearance of a tool. I dont believe theres any significant difference in strength. Ive used the hell out of my BKs. Becker backs their knives too. Like it so much I bought a 17 for times I want a clip point. Looked at the Esse clip point and didnt like the design.

As for money... Price wasnt an issue though for someone tight on funds the difference buys em an Estwing. But if your gonna buy micarta scales and a kydex sheath for a becker that puts it up in the esee price range. Though it didnt weigh into my choice Ethan is a pretty cool old coot and Im happy to give him my business.

The Eskabar was a great collaboration between the 2. Like the handle better than the Necker and I like the blade better than the Izula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
BK2 is a better value, but ESEE makes a better knife, not even close. That kind of quality costs a lot of money.

A knife isn't just some average prep...it's a lot more important than that. Lotta areas where spending more represents diminishing returns, but a knife? That's on par with shoes, water filtration, etc. Can't have a specimen that's "too good" when it comes to things in that category.
I have one of my Grandfathers knives that he made from a file and handled with a deer antler. Safe bet its seen more use than almost any knife on this forum. Buying crap quality stuff is never good but theres a lot of vanity when it comes to what folks spend on gear too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Bucksnort Bucksnort is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,124
Thanks: 1,658
Thanked 2,248 Times in 801 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
I have one of my Grandfathers knives that he made from a file and handled with a deer antler. Safe bet its seen more use than almost any knife on this forum. Buying crap quality stuff is never good but theres a lot of vanity when it comes to what folks spend on gear too.
+10!!!

I also make knives, using a variety of methods. Old files make EXCELLENT knives. My wife has standing orders to purchase any old files she runs across at garage sales. Some of my 'repurposed' old file knives have been some of the nicest knives I've ever produced, and they're always a quick sell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucksnort For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Turtlewolf Turtlewolf is offline
Answer Is No
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 501
Thanks: 751
Thanked 412 Times in 246 Posts
Default

Nothing makes an ESEE better than a Becker in reality, it's rather like Nike shoes-you're paying a premium for a name that means nothing at all to most realistic people who don't by hype.
Of course neither is a bad knife, but the BK2 certainly trumps any ESEE knife for value and there is nothing wrong with Kabars warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Borrowed time's Avatar
Borrowed time Borrowed time is offline
Man of constant sorrow
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 45
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 3,692
Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,249 Posts
Default

Please do not take this the wrong way but:

Becker Knives:

The Rosie Odonnel of knives.



heavy, over-large handles, unnecessarily thick where it counts, like a crowbar or blunt instument and has an afterthought edge put on that can cut but isnt pleasing to watch in action. The handles are bulky and clumsy and ill fit on most.

Esee Knives

The Christina Hendricks of knives.





Not too thin, not too thick. Fills your hand like a warm bosom, supple and smooth. The Esee's curves are sultry and seductive, a work of art and temptation. Heat treated in dancing flames as red hot as Christina's hair, built to put out even under the toughest of times.

The flame of the sun flashes its fiery brilliance on its edge just as Christina's eyes entice you with her "come-hither" look. The Esee's edge can bring a man to his knees and make him give thanks to the universe that such a thing exists, just as men do in gratitude for Christina.

In combat the Esee can end a man's life in one fell thrust, just as Ms. Hendricks can tear a man's heart out and make him beg for more.

The sheath is like a fine, form fitting dress, not all pleasure, but not all business . The right balance for a "formal" night out on the town or a day in the bush.

Oh, yes, one last thing...... in either case, Esee or Ms. Hendricks, you would step over your own mother for one......

(Note: this really is made in jest. I dont care much for Beckers, but i just did this to be funny. thanks)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Borrowed time For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 AM
zatoichi's Avatar
zatoichi zatoichi is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 3,930
Thanks: 12,102
Thanked 3,692 Times in 1,838 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Brown View Post
One thing over looked is ESEE cures people of knife collecting addiction , most of the time. For example: If you needed a stout 4" drop point for hunting and woods , the esee 4 will do the job. No doubt many times over, only personal fit creates any negative. One would never need to buy a knife of that type again. If you were to wear it down to an extreme or even broke it though very unlikely, it would be replaced no questions for life of the blade. Some addicts lose the addiction to buying the next best knife. Or be in a world of 40-80$ lemons for eternity. A double price for ones sanity and locked pocketbook again, starts to sound fair. Buy once , cry once and I am dang sure none of my esee's will let me down.
I agree with your post.

I used to buy knife magazines.

I used to look with interest and want at the very cool knives in the magazines.

Before I got my EESE knives, I got a very nice TOPS knife (Alaskan hunter).

The only question I have is what ESEE to buy next? 3 or 4 or 6 or Laser Strike?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 AM
zatoichi's Avatar
zatoichi zatoichi is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 3,930
Thanks: 12,102
Thanked 3,692 Times in 1,838 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowed time View Post
Please do not take this the wrong way but:

Becker Knives:

The Rosie Odonnel of knives.



heavy, over-large handles, unnecessarily thick where it counts, like a crowbar or blunt instument and has an afterthought edge put on that can cut but isnt pleasing to watch in action. The handles are bulky and clumsy and ill fit on most.

Esee Knives

The Christina Hendricks of knives.





Not too thin, not too thick. Fills your hand like a warm bosom, supple and smooth. The Esee's curves are sultry and seductive, a work of art and temptation. Heat treated in dancing flames as red hot as Christina's hair, built to put out even under the toughest of times.

The flame of the sun flashes its fiery brilliance on its edge just as Christina's eyes entice you with her "come-hither" look. The Esee's edge can bring a man to his knees and make him give thanks to the universe that such a thing exists, just as men do in gratitude for Christina.

In combat the Esee can end a man's life in one fell thrust, just as Ms. Hendricks can tear a man's heart out and make him beg her for more.

The sheath is like a fine, form fitting dress, not all pleasure, but not all business . The right balance for a "formal" night out on the town or a day in the bush.

Oh, yes, one last thing...... in either case, Esee or Ms. Hendricks, you would step over your own mother for one......
A bit unfair wouldn't you say.

But really, really funny.

I have to say, although I do not have anything against Ms. ODonnell; there are other posters who would not like your portrayal that Rosie is the equivalent of a BK.
The Following User Says Thank You to zatoichi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Turtlewolf Turtlewolf is offline
Answer Is No
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 501
Thanks: 751
Thanked 412 Times in 246 Posts
Default

Well that settles it, I've found red heads make great friends in my years but I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.
If I ever want a five inch knife that wants to pretend it is a hatchet then BK2 it is and not the ESEE 5, as it is I don't as I've got the Kabar Johnson Potbelly and it is probably the closest to a small hatchet or tomahawk a knife will ever be.
For anything else I've yet to do I haven't had any issues with my real, non pretentious, knives.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Borrowed time's Avatar
Borrowed time Borrowed time is offline
Man of constant sorrow
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 45
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 3,692
Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,249 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoichi View Post
A bit unfair wouldn't you say.

But really, really funny.

I have to say, although I do not have anything against Ms. ODonnell; there are other posters who would not like your portrayal that Rosie is the equivalent of a BK.
yup, it was meant to be in jest, and thanks for taking it that way . although i really do not care for Beckers, for most of the reasons listed.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
MeatHunter's Avatar
MeatHunter MeatHunter is offline
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: A nation in need of healing
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 800
Thanked 1,198 Times in 445 Posts
Default

Both are excellent knives, the ESEE has just a bit more TLC put into it's manufacturing process which means you are paying double for that and thier warranty. Myself, I am a Tops guy, good heat treat, made in America, easy to sharpen, stands up to tons of abuse, and they have way more styles than most companies. Thats just my preference, and does not mean at all that other knives in thier class are not just as good. Buy what feels best in your hand and suits your needs best, not what some internet knife snob says is best.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM
indoorsman's Avatar
indoorsman indoorsman is offline
Svensk hamster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 2,760
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default

Not your typical knife thread post you got there Borrowed time

Not sure about that Rosie/Christina comparison though. The becker is more like a slutty biker chick, tough, ok-looking but nothing special, but on the plus side she would never say no to an occational spanking. That esee, on the other hand, is the Christina-type drawer queen that never leaves the home because she is so damn picky and spoiled. Forget about the rough stuff, because that gal demands special treatment all the way. The becker I have sees a lot of action because of the fact that is inexpensive and tough, not sure I would use it in the way if it would cost twice as much.
The Following User Says Thank You to indoorsman For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me decide ESEE 5 or ESEE 6 syph007 Knives, Swords & Axes 63 07-05-2014 10:57 AM
esee izula vs esee 3 jaydonE Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 09-06-2012 07:45 AM
Esee 4 or 5 Help!!! TeutonicHeathen Knives, Swords & Axes 33 05-02-2012 06:15 PM
Esee 5? Invalid_21 Knives, Swords & Axes 9 08-27-2011 04:36 PM
esee 5 loki Knives, Swords & Axes 3 08-07-2010 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net