Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Default How does one politely point out a lack of a plan?

Advertise Here

Alright, this may sound a bit strange. I and my other female friends like to joke about the 'Zombocalypse' (Zombie apocalypse). It is a light hearted way for us all to chat about preparedness, plans, ect. Well, one friend's plan is to Shaun of the Dead things and take over a pub.
Said pub used to be a bank, and it kept the original vault complete with doors. Her plan is to run there and she (along with whoever else is there) will have plenty of food and protection.
I laughed... right up to the point I understood she was serious.
I have already pointed out she couldn't lock herself in, if there was no electricity they food would go bad (if it wasn't looted already, ect), and she would be surrounded (potentially) by people she didn't know without weapons to defend herself.
Her newest plan in light of this, is to try and seduce a male to take care of her...
The silliness of that idea was so absurd it made my brain hurt.
Does anyone else know a rational way to explain why that would be a horrible idea without being overly rude? I know it sounds like a useless cause, but I am hoping to prompt her into have a better plan B.
Yes, she was serious about the seduction plan.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Up to No Good

Thanked 1,114 Times in 311 Posts

Maybe you should tell her what your plan is and your reasons behind every part of it. If you can show her how well thought-out yours is, maybe she will see how ridiculously flawed hers is.

You're a lot nicer than I am. When one of my friends says something really stupid (like your friend has) I tell them they're being stupid. But that's the way my friends and I are - they tell me when I'm being stupid, too. Just try to explain to her how flawed her plan is. Hopefully she'll take some direction from you and get herself straightened out a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to Autumn-Raine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 1,973 Times in 759 Posts

You cannot fix stupid. However, can you point out current events like Sandy. What type of weather issues do you have in your area that could be potentially devastating? If none, how about a fire that burns her house to the ground?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Well, I haven't told her specifics of my Bug-out plan, or all I have in case SHTF.
She's very pretty, but is the type that wouldn't be able to 'slaughter' any animals because she loves them. She also has to keep a ton of pets and won't leave them behind. And I gave her a tomato plant last year that died because of a lack of water/cat ate part of it.
We live near the mountains, so winters are bitterly cold. She lives in an apartment that is extremley old. It also used to be a hotel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Else869 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Bitter Clinger

I'm not sure you can make her understand as she sounds like a friend of mine. She too would starve to death before slaughtering any animals for food.

If your winters are harsh, does she have enough food in case she cannot get to a grocery store? What would she do in a power outage from an ice storm? Maybe that's the way to talk to her.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,203 Posts

I am known for being quite forward. This is intentional and prevents being misinterpreted or having my message taken in the wrong concept. As adults aren't we beyond the kind of games she is playing. And in addition many are going to her rescue or telling you how to rescue her. I say let her live out her fairy tale.
The Following User Says Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,576 Times in 10,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Else869 View Post
Alright, this may sound a bit strange. I and my other female friends like to joke about the 'Zombocalypse' (Zombie apocalypse). It is a light hearted way for us all to chat about preparedness, plans, ect. Well, one friend's plan is to Shaun of the Dead things and take over a pub.
Said pub used to be a bank, and it kept the original vault complete with doors. Her plan is to run there and she (along with whoever else is there) will have plenty of food and protection.
I laughed... right up to the point I understood she was serious.
I have already pointed out she couldn't lock herself in, if there was no electricity they food would go bad (if it wasn't looted already, ect), and she would be surrounded (potentially) by people she didn't know without weapons to defend herself.
Her newest plan in light of this, is to try and seduce a male to take care of her...
The silliness of that idea was so absurd it made my brain hurt.
Does anyone else know a rational way to explain why that would be a horrible idea without being overly rude? I know it sounds like a useless cause, but I am hoping to prompt her into have a better plan B.
Yes, she was serious about the seduction plan.
You can say most things with a joke and a laugh.

Just say what bothers you. "you'll suffocate" is my first reaction. But don't get all serious and sincere and caring on her. Just treat her like she's normal. What would you do if you disagreed with anyone else on any topic? wouldn't you just state your objection? Just treat her like you'd want to be treated yourself.

As to male seduction, good luck to her. I take it she's very attractive? I don't think you have to take this too seriously tbh - just ask her who she has in mind. Turn it into a joke, have a good lol.

Her thinking over a period of time will cause her ideas to evolve. Her saying her ideas and realising after they're said that they're not fantastic will change her way of thinking. You don't have to take responsibility for getting her to where you are at. You can just enjoy talking about it with her, having a good time, having a laff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 AM
8ⓖ 12ⓜ

Thanked 14,192 Times in 4,180 Posts

+1 to what Absolutely! said, plus:

To turn a famous quote on its head and give it a prepper/survivalist spin: At 20, a woman needs good looks. At 30, a woman needs a good education and career. After 40, a woman needs a basement full of food and several closets full of guns and ammo. Frankly, I think your friend is a lost cause. If you want to continue to yuk it up with her, fine and dandy. But don't waste your energy trying to "convert" her to the prepper lifestyle.

Just my .02.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MtnCat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM

I don't think I could possibly be polite about it! She needs a reality check.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutRidingFences For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,056 Times in 6,374 Posts

Honey, she sounds like perfect zombie bait to me!

And she's scared to death, to boot. Are you sure you want someone like that for a friend?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM

I would point out some of the obvious points that she seems to be missing or overlooked, maybe she will think about it and come to understand that your serious. The way things are going people are waking up about prepping hopefuly! I want to be able to be ready for myself, my family and anyone that wants help as well. I'm new to this but am open minded and want to learn as much as I can.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Just lucky I guess...

It sounds like your friend doesn't have a survivalist bone in her body. Other than holding her hand through it all, she won't survive. Don't get too attached!!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Rational Being

Thanked 4,343 Times in 1,291 Posts

Holy callousness, Batman!

What's all this about people not being able to learn?

Get real, ladies. Not everyone is a born prepper. About ten years ago I couldn't even touch raw chicken to cook it because the texture made me gag. I hadn't grown ANYTHING in a garden or pot. I didn't know how to sew or use a chainsaw. I had never shot a gun bigger than a BB gun.

Then life happened. My awakening was a very slow process. I'm fairly sure it would have gone faster if I had a nice prepper friend who could have held my hand through some of it.

People can change. Don't lose hope, OP. I did it. She can, too.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NectarNook For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Bitter Clinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NectarNook View Post
Holy callousness, Batman!

What's all this about people not being able to learn?

Get real, ladies. Not everyone is a born prepper. About ten years ago I couldn't even touch raw chicken to cook it because the texture made me gag. I hadn't grown ANYTHING in a garden or pot. I didn't know how to sew or use a chainsaw. I had never shot a gun bigger than a BB gun.

Then life happened. My awakening was a very slow process. I'm fairly sure it would have gone faster if I had a nice prepper friend who could have held my hand through some of it.

People can change. Don't lose hope, OP. I did it. She can, too.
I think you are probably an exception. For most others the S will hit they fan before they decide to do something.

An example is the friend I mentioned earlier. I had the ladies over for cards and dinner. The lasagna was outstanding and "Cindy" asked what was in it. I listed the ingredients and ended with 'and venison'. She literally dropped her fork and said "we're eating Bambi?" She refused to eat any more. She is the type that would starve to death.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Token Hippy Academic

Just because a dude likes your boobs doesn't mean he's got any food, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Token For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Rational Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token View Post
Just because a dude likes your boobs doesn't mean he's got any food, either.
Oh. This is so difficult. How do I keep from saying something totally inappropriate about shakes here?

Ah, forget it.

Cute guys in the end of the world have no wienerschnitzel for hungry women! So don't carry a knife. And never, ever sharpen it. You know... just leave the whole BOBbit bag at home. Stop daydreaming of kielbasa, because all the delis close up shop when the end times come!

Holy crow, I need to stop before I get banned. :D

Thanks for the giggles, gals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NectarNook For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,576 Times in 10,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NectarNook View Post
Oh. This is so difficult. How do I keep from saying something totally inappropriate about shakes here?

Ah, forget it.

Cute guys in the end of the world have no wienerschnitzel for hungry women! So don't carry a knife. And never, ever sharpen it. You know... just leave the whole BOBbit bag at home. Stop daydreaming of kielbasa, because all the delis close up shop when the end times come!

Holy crow, I need to stop before I get banned. :D

Thanks for the giggles, gals.
In the book "The Good Earth" I remember it mentioned that the girls in brothels looked plumper during the famine than the other girls...

There. i think I stayed safely on the right side of the line as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Token Hippy Academic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
In the book "The Good Earth" I remember it mentioned that the girls in brothels looked plumper during the famine than the other girls...

There. i think I stayed safely on the right side of the line as well.
I would rather not have to resort to such things that should be recreational as a way of getting my protein. Besides, it always gives me heartburn...

There's a reason they always had chickens at the Chicken Ranch...no matter how bad and desperate the economy got in the great depression, there were always men willing to trade a chicken for a lil somethin-somethin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Token For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Rational Being

Ha! You girls make me smile.

Not sure my husband would agree with that method of raking in new chooks, but I'll sock the idea away for my relatives. That's funny stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to NectarNook For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM
I love this forum

I am new here. Mostly because a friend of mines sister has been sending out emails on disaster prep... along with news stories of all sorts (bad economy news, natural disasters, Greece ect)

I finally wised up and quit treating it like a joke.

I have food stores and have my need lists going.

I think being a good example works wonders. I am thankful for her gentle pushing... I may owe her my families life one day.