Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > The International Section > Our World Wide Survivalist Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Australia and New Zealand ANZACS

Advertise Here

Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Tilt. Cock. Lock. Look.

Thanked 1,907 Times in 833 Posts

Advertise Here

@AKM: Thats a Hoyt Carbon Matrix.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLastOutpost For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Just plain snarky.

Thanked 11,786 Times in 3,455 Posts

Thanks. Looks a pretty wild bit of kit. :D
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Trust, but verify.

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,546 Posts

How many here shoot instinctive?

How many here shoot with sights?

Its been a while, but i shot a single cam instinctive with fingers.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,658 Times in 726 Posts

Instinctive and really enjoying it, no sights, Son has sights for a time when he thinks he will shoot an animal, wants to be sure he hits it properly
The Following User Says Thank You to Wazza For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Getting there...

I shoot instinctive. I recent had one of my mates build me a sight, but I have yet to decide whether I like using it, I find it awkward. Have yet to hunt with the sight though, and I guess that is the real test. With instinctive shooting, I have only ever had one hit that didn't instantly drop an animal, but chasing/tracking that goat up and down the valley to finish it off very nearly made me a convert to sights then and there. Turned out my first shot had gone through the top edge of the lung, just not enough to collapse it instantly, so I doubt the sights would have altered it all that much anyway.
I've had decent success goat and turkey hunting with my very old #50 compound bow (one that is all wood except for some backing on the limbs and doesn't use cams, just wheels), instinctive and using fingers. Or at least, I match what my mates get with their modern compounds with sights and release aids, and that is good enough for me.
I have lost a couple of arrows, but those have always been when the shot has gone clean through the animal and disappeared into dense bush off behind it. It is a pain, but I use the cheapest arrows and broadheads I can find, so it isn't too bad. Have yet to shoot anything bigger than goats, not that this is too big a problem as I am the only one in my family who likes goat, and if I shot deer I wouldn't get near so much to myself. The turkey everyone eats though, which is a pity.
I have a few mates who shoot recurve/traditional, they seem to like it. I want to get a longbow, learn to use that, but I'd still probably hunt with the compound bow, it is nice to have that #50 become a #35 when holding it drawn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sa'Andrel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Stay Sharp

They are attempting to quietly push laws through that will restrict the use of compound bows, much like the same thing they did with crossbows a while back. All I am waiting for the compulsory bubblewrap suits to go work in soon!!