Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Scout

Thanked 1,189 Times in 627 Posts

Advertise Here

IMO the ESEE 5 is he best, of course I happen to own one.....
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM

I wouldn't consider Esee over Becker knives from ka bar. You can get a bk 2 for less than half the price of the esee 5 and they are really close to the same. Both have .25 in blades both 1095 both 5.25 in long blades. I thought about getting an esee but why when u can just get a bk knife. I happen to have the bk7, bk9, and two bk2's. I've tested them out here and there and am very happy with them I have a bk2 in my truck and have used the heck out of it and have no complaints.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Look at it from the other guys POV. would you attack a guy with a little knife in his hand or a big ass kukri/machete. Personally I carry a foot and half long kukri.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
19K/SS

Thanked 1,385 Times in 480 Posts

To stay within the parameters of your question, traditional Ka-bar 7" blade design for defense & utility, and the Esee 3 for skinning/caping game would be optimal. If forced to pick only one, hard to beat the Ka-bar for overall value to performance imo.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloher View Post
I want a knife that can be used for defense and many other tasks. Currently carry either a Cold Steel Kukri or a Kabar. Would an ESEE or other higher end knife be worth the investment?
which kukri from cold steel do you carry. there's not much that the kukri can't do
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
Having personally witnessed a few knife fights no one leaves un cut id take my chances with a dude with a gun over a blade much better chance of walking away uninjured.

I also agree get a knife thats style you like that is good for most things theres a reason the kabar style knife has been around a while because it is a simple design that works for most daily chores. for example indoorsman has on the right a M7 bayonet or it looks like it rehandled there good "fighting knives" but try to open a can with it your prol going to bust a tip because it was for poking things not prying stuff open or skinning things (by way I am rehandling one as well for fun with poplar and bubinga)
Yep no one gets out without getting cut.......... that's a knife fight and if you aren't trained your in for a world of hurt. Even if you are trained you get hurt just a matter of how bad
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky48 View Post
When you say "Cold Steel Kukri" do you mean the 20$ machete? Or the 200$ (SK5) - 450$ (SanMai III) Ghurka?

The machete will do just fine for self defense: light, quick, long reach.

The Ghurka is stronger and heavier but still has excellent handling characteristics, a reach advantage over a knife, and an excellent blade shape and weight distibution for for de-limbing (ahem...trees, of course...). Between either of those, and the Ka-Bar, how are your self defense needs not met?

As for your question, ESEEs are always worth the investment if you are going to use them. If you buy it for self defense, how often are you really going to use it? And like SShane said, the Ka-Bar is a time tested combat oriented design, where as the ESEE is a live-longer-in-extreme-situations design. Yes, it can always be used in a defensive situation, any knife can, depending on technique, but it is at home carving, chopping, and slicing nature's fire/shelter materials and skinning beasts for consumption.

I say get one if you are going to go into the wilderness or camping or just love good blades.

My .02
I currently have all three Kukris by Cold Steel. Have found the San Mai III to be much heavier than the Sk5. Would I be wrong in selling the San Mai III and sticking with the SK5?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 2,010 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloher View Post
I currently have all three Kukris by Cold Steel. Have found the San Mai III to be much heavier than the Sk5. Would I be wrong in selling the San Mai III and sticking with the SK5?
I only own the SK5 and am profoundly happy with it. I have not handled the San MaiIII yet, so it would be unfair for me to give you a definitive answer.

However...

Points you should consider:

1. That extra weight can't be good for lugging that thing around over long distances.

2. Weight is also a factor if you wish to use it for firewood processing. It would help if all you were doing with it was splitting appropriately sized logs, but if you were doing a lot of light work, the extra weight would be a hinderance, causing more caloric usage for less work done.

3. The SK5 needs lubrication if in wet environs. I have to keep mine slathered up where I live. I don't mind this at all, as the ease of sharpening Carbon blades is well worth the extra work to me.

4. Back to weight... It would honestly be best to literally train basic Khukhri techniques with it to strengthen the upper body in order to help negate some of its bad qualities. Training, period, is good, with any blade you might use for self defense. But for blades that are heavier, it is necessary. There are vids on line that show the Ghurkhas going through (for lack of a better term) katas in which they slash, chop, and stab with it in certain sequences that should greatly improve your individual arm strength for wielding the Khukhri if done 20 - 30 minutes a day. Not to make a you a combat master, but to allow you to wield it with confidence and assurity.

I have not tried the one with the guard yet... I assume that is the 3rd one you mention?

So, if you need the money then yes, I say sell the San Mai. But if not, weigh the pros and cons and decide what fits your usage for that style blade better.