Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,021 Times in 2,604 Posts

Advertise Here

Use your brains. I live in the UK and we do have some guns here but not a gun-culture as such like the USA. People rely too much on guns, you need to expand your weaponery knowledge, infact you can use ANYTHING as a weapon if you have the correct psychology to go with it. An umbrella is an awesome weapon, especially those automatic ones that give a real punch.

At present you are more likely to be rapped or murdered by someone you know then not. In most cases those in that situation may find it very hard to kill the other person even if they are trying to take their lives. It is very very hard to cross that line and take someone elses life.

I would build your awareness, and read the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker, someone recommended it on here and I did buy it, it is well worth it. Look at each item in your home and think of how you could use it as a weapon, and then check out the history of battles because things like hot oil, sling shots, etc last longer. Remember a gun is only good as the person using it, but you also need to be able to make the bullets, have the powder to go in them etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 PM

I grew up hunting and sport shooting, when my son was diagnosed I got rid of my guns... In hind sight I was over reacting and knowing what I do now I sure do miss them... I bow hunt so I have those as my only weapons now, I ike that there is no paper trail associasated with them, they are quiet, and I can re-use my ammo as long as I am careful... However I know this is not a truly practical defense method... I am in the process of purchasing a rifle and a handgun... I have taken my boys out to shoot with some friends so they are becoming famiiar with them as well... The important thing is to never rely on someone else to do what you can easily do for yourself... Get a gun and learn how to use it... 'Woodsman' come and go, you have to stick around though...
The Following User Says Thank You to zombiemom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Neither Wolf Nor Dog

Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,073 Posts

Nobody plans to defend themselves without weapons.

Without a weapon of some kind, your only defense is really excellent camouflage.

I doubt you are invisible.

So get a weapon. Pepper spray or something to start. Be able to use something already in your home-- like that fork or mattock or spade. I have a knife that fits well in my hand and an two-inch oak club.

I guess a gun's the gold standard-- no question, it's a great equalizer if you can use it properly. If you can't, all you've done is arm your assailant. If you're going to have one, learn to use it.

Figure out what you can use now, and make sure you have it now. Figure out what you need to be able to use, and get busy learning to use it. Don't make plans. DO it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MC Ain't Crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM

I recently went shooting with a friend. In Canada, there are many local fish and game clubs where you can take the required courses. Until then, as I understand it, you can't even shop around for a gun. You have to have a permit to even handle them at a store.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post
No matter where we've lived, we have always had a 22 in the closet. But over the past 4 years I have added a ruger 10-22, at Walther p-22, 12 shotgun and a 357 magnum. I can use each of them because I practice.

I am a serious prepper because it will be needed in the near future.

I suggest that you get some defense traning of some kind. Living in the city, you're going to need it.
I am looking into self defense Tx
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
Use your brains. I live in the UK and we do have some guns here but not a gun-culture as such like the USA. People rely too much on guns, you need to expand your weaponery knowledge, infact you can use ANYTHING as a weapon if you have the correct psychology to go with it. An umbrella is an awesome weapon, especially those automatic ones that give a real punch.

At present you are more likely to be rapped or murdered by someone you know then not. In most cases those in that situation may find it very hard to kill the other person even if they are trying to take their lives. It is very very hard to cross that line and take someone elses life.

I would build your awareness, and read the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker, someone recommended it on here and I did buy it, it is well worth it. Look at each item in your home and think of how you could use it as a weapon, and then check out the history of battles because things like hot oil, sling shots, etc last longer. Remember a gun is only good as the person using it, but you also need to be able to make the bullets, have the powder to go in them etc.
I am buying that book tomorrow! Thanks for the info, I'm in Canada and it's not a gun culture here
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthia View Post
I recently went shooting with a friend. In Canada, there are many local fish and game clubs where you can take the required courses. Until then, as I understand it, you can't even shop around for a gun. You have to have a permit to even handle them at a store.
ya it's not easy here to be armed have to find alternatives
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 25,196 Times in 10,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrette View Post
How about something dual purpose like a machete? We have one made in El Salvador. Right now, it's just strictly preps. But if the SHTF, you could use it as a weapon or a survival tool.
I think a machete would be scary but otherwise useless. esp for zombie hordes cos they blunt relatively quickly. Also there's not a lot of weight in them. I don't know how many of you have scrub cleared with a machete but they're not quite as fantastic as they look. You might be able to cut the guy open but I doubt you'll be able to dismember him with it.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 1,893 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I think a machete would be scary but otherwise useless. esp for zombie hordes cos they blunt relatively quickly. Also there's not a lot of weight in them. I don't know how many of you have scrub cleared with a machete but they're not quite as fantastic as they look. You might be able to cut the guy open but I doubt you'll be able to dismember him with it.

Who needs to dismember? I'll use it to stick a hole big enough to insert a rod and cook him over an open flame and feed him to my dogs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Prepared

renadia.
While it is awkward obtaining defensive type firearms in Canada it is not impossible. Obtaining your PAL is the first step. Then go on line to ipsc-canada.org
It is the Canadian national body for IPSC. The International Practical Shooting Confederation.
On their web site you will find listings for the web pages of the Provincial Sections that govern competition and of interest to you, training, in the safe handling and defensive use of a pistol, in each Province. While it is now very focused on competition the gun handling skills go right back to its roots, defensive shooting.

The use of shotguns and rifles is of much less focus but it is there.. Of course, you will learn how to legally obtain the firearms that you are interested in.

Do not be put off by some of the exotic pistols you will see on the IPSC Canada web page. They are part of what is known as OPEN Division. The more standard pistols that you (and I) are interested in is LIMITED Division.

The people are very warm and welcoming. Today the "Black Badge", the ID badge displaying the member number are each marked with the Province ID and then your number. My Black Badge has no Provincial ID since when I took the class my number was below 50. Yes, at that time there were less than 50 IPSC Canada members in the country. It has grown tremendously and the people you will meet are the best. You will be welcome and will learn a great deal about safe, accurate, speedy pistol shooting.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Prepared

BTW, you do not have to "make the bullets". That is part of 'reloading ammunition'. Many who get really into the sport of IPSC shooting do reload their own ammunition to save money. When you reload you save the cost of the brass case since you reuse it. The rest of the cartridge is not reusable. Factory loaded ammunition is available in all gun stores. It is just expensive, especially if you really get involved as I did, years ago, and shoot many times a year, month or as I did, many times a week. This is not something that most do and certainly is not a requirement. Some buy reloads from others who resell it at a reduced price. You have many options.

The basic equipment to reload is not very expensive. Contact me for more information.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:39 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 25,196 Times in 10,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrette View Post
Who needs to dismember? I'll use it to stick a hole big enough to insert a rod and cook him over an open flame and feed him to my dogs.
What not even one parma ham? how irresponsibly wasteful is that?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I love this forum

It's never too late to buy some firearms and learn how to use them.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 PM

It's actually not that hard to get guns here in Canada. The processes seem daunting but they're really not. Get your gun license by doing the test. That will entitle you to rifles and such. Then join a gun club, from there you can begin the process for a handgun which you obviously would only be able to transport to the gun club from your home. Maybe there you will find your woodsman
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renadia View Post
Here I am prepping more n more but as I read the posts it makes me feel very inadequate. I'm a woman, never held a gun have no other weapons except the knives in my kitchen. I work in IT so using all kinds of tools I'm not familiar with.

I live in the city have no homestead but I am storing food, water and building a first aid kit.

Think I need to find myself a woodsman and store some wine.

Seriously how do other women feel they would survive if all hell broke loose?

I'm in Canada not as easy to get guns
Well back before firearms were commonplace, some women would marry the biggest baddes MoFo they could find. But seriously though, some faithful dogs would serve you well in your home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 AM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renadia View Post
Here I am prepping more n more but as I read the posts it makes me feel very inadequate. I'm a woman, never held a gun have no other weapons except the knives in my kitchen. I work in IT so using all kinds of tools I'm not familiar with.

I live in the city have no homestead but I am storing food, water and building a first aid kit.

Think I need to find myself a woodsman and store some wine.

Seriously how do other women feel they would survive if all hell broke loose?

I'm in Canada not as easy to get guns
Being a woman is not a terminal illness or a weakness. You must become self-sufficient to provide for yourself, but not to spite men. You can bear up and rear a child; the weak cannot rear children. You can still acquire firearms, and despite the legal headaches, I encourage you to do so. Self-defense is not the responsibility of anyone but the God and the individual, and He desires you to be able to defend yourself.

You have eight weapons on you at all times, with will to live and a functioning mind that can allow you to be alert and aware in all situations and at all times; you have two shins, elbows, hands, feet, knees, as well as a headbutt if you know how, and forearms if you have the training to use it. If you are so inclined, it is strongly suggested you study combatives under a qualified instructor and use your head; do your homework. Luke Holloway is very good and quite recommended.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
official g-man versifier

Thanked 21,916 Times in 5,888 Posts

Echoing the sentiment that it doesn't have to be a gun to be a weapon. I always have knowledge of my surroundings and what can be used defensively if need be. Came from dating an ex-Ranger. He never sat with his back to an entrance and was constantly surveying surroundings. He taught me quite a bit about awareness and defense. I know out back I could pull a shepherd's hook from the ground and either beat or use the sharp ends to stab. Potted plants can be smashed over a head. Always know what's in your midst, always know where an exit is, and always be ready.

(but don't forget to take time to smell the roses )
The Following User Says Thank You to UnderTheStars For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Weapons are all around you if you will look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pelican For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,075 Times in 2,078 Posts

A guy nearby teaches a class he calls The Wrong Woman. He says he teaches women to defend themselves in many ways, so that if a bad guy comes after one of them he will quickly realize he picked The Wrong Woman. I love that idea myself.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM
official g-man versifier

Thanked 21,916 Times in 5,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamakee County View Post
A guy nearby teaches a class he calls The Wrong Woman. He says he teaches women to defend themselves in many ways, so that if a bad guy comes after one of them he will quickly realize he picked The Wrong Woman. I love that idea myself.
That sounds like a course I'd love to take