Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid > Fitness Blogs
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM
John 15:13

Default need some help im a beginer runner

Advertise Here

so like the title says im a beginer runner im outa shape i used to be in shape 3 years ago back in high school when i played soccer 24/7 but since i graduated between working full time and college and taken care of my mother ive lost all endurance and muscle mass. i just sighned up for the air force and havent gotten a ship oute date but it could be 2 to 6 months before i leave and i wana be up to a good endurance point that basic wont be so hard. my old way of becomein a runner was just playing soccer 24/7 but i moved out in the middle of no where the closest rec league is 30 mins away. so any suggestions or tips is well apreciated.

i did my first run this morning. well i wanted to run i got to 1/4 mile mark and was give out. couldnt breath for haucking up mass amounts of flim which i imagine is from the few years of smokeing i did in high school and college. is there any way to prevent that? i quit smokeing less then a year ago. but the caughing up flim was just miserable.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 21,163 Times in 9,042 Posts

Unless your flem has a red color to it -- your just cleaning out --

Brisk walk a mile first --

Then lightly jog - till you start to get winded - then walk again - do this for a few days -- you'll notice your jogging just a little further every time -

Then at some point after you can jog a mile before you get winded - after one day of rest - Walk a mile then - run flat out till winded - then walk

I started this a few years ago -- now I can jog 3 miles - or run flat out for about a mile or so -- not trying to break any records - but increasing my speed and distance every week - even if its only a few yards at a time

PS ---- I'm 61

PS -- If your coughing up lung material - suck it up wimp - Zombies don't care
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM

thanks and yea zombies dont care so in that case i will do the following no worries hahaha

Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Insert Custom User Title

You have youth on your side you can recover faster

Me -- I need a nap when I get home

Not trying to discourage you at all - but - its old fart story time

When my draft number came up ( 231 if I remember correctly ? ) I was going to enlist anyway -- family tradition

1/2 my friends said "Your an idiot" I got rid of them

The better ones said - "Try to get in some better shape"
I ran everyday / went to the gym on my buddy's guest pass
Lost a few pounds and felt confident

Although it probably helped a little overall - they ran my rear ragged

Good thing I wasn't deployed to the desert -- 100 degrees. and 100 % humidity was hot enough - thank you
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Finish the game

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,064 Posts

If you were active in sports, you know to always stretch first, start by walking, then jog 1 minute, walk two minutes; then run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, then start to stretch out your runs for longer time frames.

No easy way to start, I used to run 5 miles every morning, had some issues with a broken bone in my foot and it took a couple of years to get back to where I was after only 9 months off (but I'm a little older than you are).
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 PM

well thnks fo the advice yea today was day one i did 1.2 mile at jog as far as i can then walk till i catch my breath then jog again till im winded then back repeat till i finished to my vol fire dept and back. deff wooped my butt but gona keep doing it till i feel confident to go farther. thanks again
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,166 Posts

My best advice is this: run, run, and run some more.

The first few weeks of starting running are horrible. They're awful. I run very often and whenever I take a month or two off and then start up again, I wonder why I stopped in the first place because starting up again is just plain painful.

That being said... getting out there is 90% of the battle. Simply getting up, getting dressed, and going outside is the absolute hardest part of running. You'll feel better about doing it in a few weeks once your body gets used to it. Until then, run what you just did. If you want to increase the workload, maybe consider two-a-days with both runs being shorter distances. Just make sure to not overdo yourself with them since the whole point of doing two-a-days is to avoid having to run too much at one time.

After your body feels better when you're running and it's over the shock of starting it, go slowly. I'd recommend running for set amounts of time, e.g., 20 or 30 minutes, rather than giving yourself specific mile amounts to run. Just worry about time in the beginning. After you can comfortably run for 20 minutes straight, then you can start worrying about mileage.

Congratulations on gathering the willpower to actually do it! Most people can't even do that
The Following User Says Thank You to hayes31 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Got a high school --- ever "Run the Bleachers"
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Thumbs up Consistency and baby steps

In my opinion, the key is getting out the door and onto the asphalt, 5 days a week (I think 7 is too much although I used to do 6, truth be told). 1) Start with 15 min of slow running or run/walk. That's a commitment that you can keep. 2) Then increase by 5 min/week until you get to 30 or 35 min. 3) Then make it 30 or 35 min of just running (no walking). 4) Then run 10K on Saturday (at an 8 min mile, that's 50 min). If you need to walk some, that's okay. Just be there.

Within 2 months, you'll be there. By the way, this works for swimming, too, with some modifications. Commit to be in the water 1 hour 3-4 times per week. Use fins a lot at first and wean yourself gradually... but that's another story- you didn't ask about swimming...
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Fightin'

I would suggest measuring yourself daily and see statistics as well. Get the new versions of tracking shoes that track the distance you jogged etc.

You will find yourself what is working in 2-3 weeks. Trust me on this.

J.B.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 PM

The couch to 5k running program is great for beginners. It is what I used to get some what ready for the Marines.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM

Runnersworld.com has some really good information on the basics. Start very slow and work your way up in distance and speed. My best advice is not to rush it, it's very easy to injure yourself if you push too hard too fast (says the guy who got two pressure fractures doing exactly that).

BTW you don't stretch before you run, you do a warm up, run, then a light stretch afterwards.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM

my dad ran a marathon.. he was a smoker before hand and he just did a forest gump and ran... when he needed to sleep he slept.. and when he needed to eat he ate... but he spent a lot of time running. so persistance is key... if you conked out after 1/4 mile run again tomorrow and you'll probably get 2/5 of a mile... the next day 2/3 and so on and so fourth.

also two tips.
run... then walk when your stuffed and then when you get some breath back start running again... nothing wrong with a little break if it allows you to sneak in another mile..
and if your having trouble with flem try chewing gum... i have sports enduced asthma and get flemy when its cold.... if i chew a gum for some reason it seems to make get rid of the flem... maybe its the extra saliva, maybe its the chewing action.... maybe its a placebo... but i notice the difference.

keep it up and you'll notice significant improvments.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Walking and biking helped me get back in shape. Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard,
Try a formula such as the 3-2-1, meaning 1 day at whatever your current long distance is, 2 days at half that and 3 days half again that distance. All should beat an easy conversational pace, your pace will get faster for a given effort over time. Increase your distance by about 10% or less each week, every fourth week or so back off a little. You will see results quickly without injury. Don't be shy about walking a bit to keep the effort down. Frequency is the key, much more than intensity in the beginning.
So you ran 1/4 mile but struggled. I am willing to bet at an easy pace with some walks you can do a mile. make 1 mile your "long run", 2 days at 1/2 mile, 3 days at a 1/4 mile..these distances will increase rapidly.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
I love this forum

Jog/walk/jog/walk/run/walk/sprint. Do this for a few miles. Start with a jog, walk when you're exhausted, run when you're feeling good, etc. Build slowly and make sure to take your time. How I built my endurance.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Traveller

What are your goals for endurance? Do you have a certain time you want to reach? A certain distance? When I was in the Army we had to run 2 miles in 15:56 (I think). I am a personal trainer and once my degree is done I am looking to become a strength and conditioning coach so I would love to help.

My recommendation would be figure out your goals first so you can have something to shoot for instead of just "more endurance". Maybe look to complete 2 miles in 15min in the next 3 months (I don't know what you are running now, thats just an example.)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
2ft MOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-prepper View Post
The couch to 5k running program is great for beginners. It is what I used to get some what ready for the Marines.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Exactly. This is a great program. Don't try to do too much at the start else you risk injury and failure.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
2ft MOA

Outside of the couch to 5k program here is what I did.

Find a 5k distance. Jog 50 yards and walk 200 yards. Jog 50 more and walk 200 more. Keep doing that until you are done. Do that a few times until your body is telling you that you want more. Jog 75 yards, walk 200, wash rinse repeat. Keep changing the ratio until you are jogging 200 yards and walking 200 yards the whole way. Then start reducing your walk distance a LITTLE BIT AT A TIME.

Intervals, etc. whatever you want to call them they allow you to to get used to the distance and sneak up on jogging it.