Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > The International Section > Our World Wide Survivalist Forums > British Isles and ROI
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 AM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

Default 'Safehaven Area'

Advertise Here

What people's opinions as to the best place to Bug Out to ? ... What area of the UK will be the safest and most self-sufficient after SHTF ? ...

Where you going to be heading if you had to Bug Out - if you had no BOL ?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Hunter

Anywhere away from mass population ,secluded wooded valley near coast is for me .
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Lots of hills and hollers around Tennessee , just depends on what has happened , earthquake , nuclear explosion , ect , ect....
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

I'm thinking New Forest, Hampshire

Small towns, lots of woodland, large estate houses to set up communities in ... Lots of farms in Hampshire

Plus is just over the county border ...
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Prepared

Me and my family will be jumping in our 4x4 and hitting the backroads upto Uig then getting a boat to canna, highly self sufficient community on canna and 6 holiday lets we are going to commandeer one they are owned by the scottish national trust. as canna only has a population of 14 it will be a good starting point.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 AM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

Canna sounds nice ... small population ... defendable area ... will you have the same idea as hundreds of other tho ... im guessing the people will want to get to Jersey and smaller islands that could establish themselves independently
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Target Shooter

There is no where in the UK remote in the way the USA and say Russia have remote areas, there are nearly 70 million of us crammed into these small islands.

Come a real SHTF situation huge numbers would be swarming over so called remote areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to geordie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie1 View Post
Come a real SHTF situation huge numbers would be swarming over so called remote areas.
Im not so sure they would, especially those in the cities and big towns. You have to remember the vast majority are not prepared in the slightest for any kind of SHTF scenario. They won't have any pre-designated locations outside of their cities they could bug out to in the first place. For those who do venture out, they won't get far, assuming fuel becomes difficult to get, and i doubt many will be willing or even able to go more than a just few miles on foot. And of course most have zero experience of any kind of wild/self sufficient living, no equipment, so even if they did manage to make it to the deepest, darkest forests and mountains, they will likely just starve or freeze to death. Even experienced survivalists sometimes die in the wilderness, so what chance does the average joe have?

I bet during SHTF, the thought that, "hmm, i am going to have to be solely responsible for my own survival and wellbeing now" won't even cross the mind of the average sheepleton. They will do what they always do, run to the government and beg for help and hand outs. They won't run to the hills, they will (very stupidly) run to any police or military refugee camps.

No, i think post-SHTF you may actually find the countryside becoming a bit quieter. Which is just fine by me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cpt-Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt-Jack View Post
Im not so sure they would, especially those in the cities and big towns. You have to remember the vast majority are not prepared in the slightest for any kind of SHTF scenario. They won't have any pre-designated locations outside of their cities they could bug out to in the first place. For those who do venture out, they won't get far, assuming fuel becomes difficult to get, and i doubt many will be willing or even able to go more than a just few miles on foot. And of course most have zero experience of any kind of wild/self sufficient living, no equipment, so even if they did manage to make it to the deepest, darkest forests and mountains, they will likely just starve or freeze to death. Even experienced survivalists sometimes die in the wilderness, so what chance does the average joe have?

I bet during SHTF, the thought that, "hmm, i am going to have to be solely responsible for my own survival and wellbeing now" won't even cross the mind of the average sheepleton. They will do what they always do, run to the government and beg for help and hand outs. They won't run to the hills, they will (very stupidly) run to any police or military refugee camps.

No, i think post-SHTF you may actually find the countryside becoming a bit quieter. Which is just fine by me
I think this is true but I will add a know alot of people with camping gear that might bug out of the city's but they have next to nothing gear/knowlage. Id give it a week and they will be either starved, dead or sick. After 3 weeks only the preppers or survival mindset will exist without aid coming in. If you can plug your nose and not squeamish tents and spare basic kit will be found
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Target Shooter

Perhaps in a couple of months/years the countryside will quieten down, in the meantime there would be millions leaving the cities looking for food and willing to kill for it.

There are not many places in the UK more than 50 miles from a major conurbation, 2 or 3 days walk.

The UK is far too densely populated to hide in the same way as you might in countries with vast wildernesses. Canna for example, there are already people there and they will have shed loads of friends and family who want to stay there.

I don't think preppers will be the only ones to survive, many people will adapt quickly and be ruthless with it, some will just get lucky.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Closed.

Thanked 26,125 Times in 10,995 Posts

Depends on the scenario I'm bugging out from, for most mundane scenarios Travel Lodge for the more extreme West into Wales and along the coast if its extreme and prolonged North(ish) or South(ish) depending on severity of scenario.

The plans were worked out in my more zealous years when I first got on board, they're my plans and I'm not sharing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackthorn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt-Jack View Post

I am pretty sure i can get halfway across the country on one tank of fuel...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,119 Times in 1,686 Posts

I gthink a lot of Brits will falter and fail miserably but a lot of the imports are likely to have brought skills with them.
I already see flatheads foraging as opposed to indiginous scrounger types.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Closed.

Thanked 26,125 Times in 10,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
I gthink a lot of Brits will falter and fail miserably but a lot of the imports are likely to have brought skills with them.

We have legomen
Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
i disagree, most people i am friends with hunt regularly, have veg gardens and fish. me and the wife often go mackrel fishing and fill the freezer
Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

Would like to think we would go back to large families in one house ... Grandparents telling people what it was like in the War and people actually listening ...

The skills we need are only dead to the last few generations of Brits ... Anyone that lived through the war will have home front and self sufficiency ...
Old 11-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Trapper

I really think that the safest place you can have is somewhere in the countryside where you know your neighbours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jubbles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 PM

The Secret Nuke Bunker near Chelmsford .
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMellor View Post
The Secret Nuke Bunker near Chelmsford .
It's uber secret :P
Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Still standing

Thanked 1,443 Times in 629 Posts
Default Input from across the Atlantic

This morning (we're 6 hours apart) I was reading some news out of Gr.Britain, so I wandered into this area of the surv.boards. I know the people/culture of the rural American South ... well, to the degree such can be known. It seems the countryside breeds complexity in human nature.

Jubbles mentioned knowing your neighbors. I think that point is unimaginably important. In the States it sure is. Just show up on somebody else's land and you can get a bad case of traumatic lead poisoning. The locals consider local public lands to be their own, right? Right. The hills and streams belong to them also. It's their territory; it really is.

However, if you go there now and form relationships with the locals, scout the land, understand the culture, find the camping areas, on and on ..., then should you show up in an emergency, you'll less likely be seen as an interloper. Easiest thing, if possible, make it a holiday destination if they have rentals, bed & breakfasts, and such. Get out, spend money, make acquaintances, and smile a lot.

Another thing, if you head there during bad times, in the name of God, bring barter with you -- SERIOUS barter. If the electric grid is down or not trustworthy, bring your electric generator with you. No truck or caravan, then buy or construct a trailer. Here in the states, there are stores who carry all of the parts for trailers -- leaf springs, axles, tires, electrical wiring for lights / turn-signals -- the whole shooting match except the lumber for the bed.

Think about what they will need. All rural folk here own firearms, but that may not be the case over there. So, here you show up with a shotgun (join a shooting club and get to be a skeet/trap shooter -- it's a bunch of fun by the way), a water filter, canned goods, and maybe even a electric generator. And they know your face. You've spent money there. You've been seen at the restaurants, wherever. You've made friends. Now you can help defend them, light a house, and you've brought food. It may not exactly be home away from home, but at least you may just be able to fit-in long enough to get through the social upheaval.

Do not flash cash or precious metals. I don't think I need to expound upon that. The "nicest" of people can go way strange under the right circumstances, now can't they!