Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Prepared

Default Inexpensive TACTICAL flashlights

Advertise Here

What makes a flashlight tactical? What Lumen levels?

Got a NEBO Redline (220 lumens) given to me, sweet flashlight, selling price I've found is about $25. Does 3 levels of brightness, strobe AND SOS. Did a little research on the Nebo line, looks interesting. Had previously picked up a smaller Nebo at a gun show recently but to me it was just a bright little flashlite. Upon that research, it's either a 35 or 50 lumen model (the 35 model was upgraded to 50 lumens but not sure which I got). They each have the crennellated tops (that's pointy castle looking for you unfamiliar with the proper term ;>)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 AM
the republic is lost

What is the intended purpose of said flashlight? some surefire lights can be had for around 60 bux and will be great little torches...

Streamlight makes some great lights too. The tac 2 led i had was once thrown out the window of my truck while turned on at around 60mph and survived!! I think that light was 50 bux....
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 1,124 Times in 569 Posts

Don't get caught up in what "tactical" means, because whatever is advantageous to you in a given situation will be tactical at the time. I think that it is well-advised to have some sort of flashlight that can be used for self-defense, and I keep rail-mounted lights for a couple of my guns, but beyond that, I prefer those with multiple brightness settings for conserving power when possible, and those that use common household battery types.

I have a couple of small Maglite and Nebo lights, some larger Rayovac Sportsman lights and a couple of the big Wel-Bilt lights from Northern Tool that would be quite useful for defensive purposes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM

I rather like the Stanley LED torch, http://tooltray.com/Stanley-Torches/...FW_KtAodqR0AnA

Its got 3 brightness settings, the legs can fold out to a tri-pod which is useful sometimes, its fairly robust (it survived being dropped 2 floors from me hanging off my uni), its cheap and it can use 3,6 or 9 AA batterys.

Personally I have found a lot of other torches end up not useing all the battery power and normally there is about 0.6 volts left in the battery. So i just shove all the old batterys into the stanley torch to use them up and it seems to work fine.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM

The price you got the nebo for is good. Unless they improved in the last few years, that's about it. I loved how they felt, and I got a few of them-small single AA for my wife, one of the three mode (light,laser, strobe) with the crenelized front, and a solar one. Within a few months, the solar one just flat out died, the multi function one began to unimpress and has since been lost/misplaced, but I don't really miss it. The only one left is the small AA. Output is poor and even with a brand new battery, it doesn't always want to turn on

Of late, I am a big fan of Fenix. Looking at picking up a few more
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 4,237 Times in 1,716 Posts

You know the word TACTICAL in the name adds a minimum of 300% to the price of the item.

So, while it does not have TACTICAL in the name this one has many features of a TACTICAL light and can be had for less than $40.00.

http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,067 Times in 5,345 Posts

Tactical is a mind and skillset, not a product design.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Semper Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
You know the word TACTICAL in the name adds a minimum of 300% to the price of the item.
Exactly...the word TACTICAL is a marketing tool designed to make 15 year old males lose their minds and buy things for their airsoft team.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dropkick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM

I found a 3 pack of flashlights recently at Costco, 20 bucks, and brighter than anything I have previously owned. I think they were called Techlite? The package said they were 200 lmn. They take 3 aaa batteries, rear on/off button, bright/dim/strobe settings, and all metal construction. I'm planning on getting a few more 3 packs next time I go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Natan706 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Old Warrior

A nice place for looking around: http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/

Wide range of lights and prices. Friend of mine got one of the 4 AA ones, 220 lumens from there. I was quite impressed with the value and workmanship of the light.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM

I will stick to budget lights as to top brands

Rather stock up on led maglite when they go on sale for black friday.
Besides if the mag isnt bright enuf you can always put in a heatsink
2.8amp driver and a cree xml emitter.

Or anyother of the tons of different mods for them.
theres is bound to be some budgetlightforum members or cpf members on here.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM

I'm on both of those forums lol
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post

So, while it does not have TACTICAL in the name this one has many features of a TACTICAL light and can be had for less than $40.00.

http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp
I was just going to mention the XL200 as that is what I have and I really like ot, and the price was good as well.

also have a 4 D call maglite with an LED conversion. I have been more than happy with these for a while now.
for me maglite has been a great valuve and served well.

I must say some of the others like Fenix, stream lit and the group do make some rally nice lights .
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 96,860 Times in 31,799 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Same thing that makes anything else tactical. The name. Since it's such a fad, they hang the name on everything and it sells better.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Run Awaaaay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan706 View Post
I found a 3 pack of flashlights recently at Costco, 20 bucks, and brighter than anything I have previously owned. I think they were called Techlite? The package said they were 200 lmn. They take 3 aaa batteries, rear on/off button, bright/dim/strobe settings, and all metal construction. I'm planning on getting a few more 3 packs next time I go.
I actually carry one of those on duty. They are amazingly bright and well built for the price.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,018 Times in 529 Posts

I know some people disprove of it, but try eBay. I got a brand new Cree flashlight for $2.00 (including S&H) about 2 years ago. It's a bright LED that runs on one AA battery and features a waterproof aluminum frame, pocket clip and mine came with a nylon belt sheath (it was the only cheap quality thing on the light). I wouldn't call it "tactical", but its simple, and works great.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Flashlight meeting these Specs.

What's a good flashlight for an LED, fully water immersible, metal, impact resistant flash light?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Prepared

I know I posted the original question. I consider a flashlight tactical if it can be adaquately used as an impact weapon AND if it has sufficient brightness to temporarily blind or disorient someone.

Last time I flew, I carried a AA maglite with lanyard attched, no questions. makes a great Kubaton OR flail weapon. ;>)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Trapper

I will only wipe with tactical toilet paper and I only eat tactical bacon.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,018 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutmike View Post
I will only wipe with tactical toilet paper and I only eat tactical bacon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post: