Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,346 Times in 563 Posts
Default Orlando Man Cited for Illegal Gardening

Advertise Here

It would be a shame if his family didn't just go hungry and then let .gov feed them at taxpayer's expense. Orlando man's front yard garden.
While the Orlando man's garden is not as beautiful as this Canadian's front yard garden, hopefully he'll have a similar outcome to his case!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jedimindtrick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

i think this is stupid id tell the city to take a hike. id be on national news raising hell if someone came to try to remove my garden.

but then again i live on a farm outside the city limits so i dont have to deal with such bs
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Just Creepin'

"Jason’s 25-square-foot micro-irrigated front yard garden is in contrast to other yards in his neighborhood, where a “finished” and “inviting” appearance is mandatory."
--------
I would find his garden MUCH more "inviting", than some crack/meth-head down the street that mows his yard 8 times a week
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Xion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 7,716 Times in 3,657 Posts

Unfortunately, living in tight quarters means that you lose lots of free choice that you'd have if you choose to live outside of towns and cities. It's a tradeoff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Unfortunately, living in tight quarters means that you lose lots of free choice that you'd have if you choose to live outside of towns and cities. It's a tradeoff.
doesnt that go against the concept of private property?

either you own it and can bloody well do what you want with it or you don't
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
doesnt that go against the concept of private property?

either you own it and can bloody well do what you want with it or you don't
The closer in to high value properties you are the more rights that you surrender. So, no.

That's the price to live in a town or a city.

But you can still own the property as long as you pay your taxes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The closer in to high value properties you are the more rights that you surrender. So, no.

That's the price to live in a town or a city.

But you can still own the property as long as you pay your taxes.
how does my rights change depending who my neighbors are? what if i had the place first and everyone built there nice things around me
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,367 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimindtrick View Post
It would be a shame if his family didn't just go hungry and then let .gov feed them at taxpayer's expense. Orlando man's front yard garden.
While the Orlando man's garden is not as beautiful as this Canadian's front yard garden, hopefully he'll have a similar outcome to his case!
One of many reasons I would never want to live in town, particularly in one where HOAs were popular.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,007 Times in 437 Posts

Our HOA recently tried to get enough votes to put a clause outlawing any front yard veg gardens or veg gardens visible from the side of the
house.

Resounding fail thankfully. TWO houses in this less than 50 homes of a minimun of one acre lots, had tomatoes and green peppers growing in their foundation plantings. They did not get enough sun in the back or side due to trees.

I have a love/hate HOA relationship in general. They ARE needed when you have acreage OR you can end up with a kennel or speed shop next door. LOTS of noise with these two alone and can definitely hurt you when trying to sell OR just enjoy your property.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppinMouse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Prepared

We all agree growing a garden is a Good Thing, but this guy unwisely signed a contract which says he'll abide by certain rules, which apparently include allowing other people to render judgement on your compliance with their aesthetic preferences.

Stupid, yes, but he bought the land there, so blame him.

Now he's whining because he doesn't want to live up to his end of the bargain, namely, to abide by their rules.

FWIW, many neighborhoods have such rules, because it protects property values from people who do things that reduce those values.

Hopefully he'll be a man and live up to his promises. I hope he sells his land and comes to live near me -- seems like a responsible person, and my neighborhood needs more of those.
Hopefully we'll all learn from this lesson and not buy property in cities run by neighborhood Nazis that dislike gardens, thus causing those developments to fail (anyone remember capitalism?).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speedrrracer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Crazy

Thanked 2,450 Times in 938 Posts

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,434 Times in 970 Posts

My Grandmother had a Garden in the front lawn of her house it was 100 percent of it. Now her backyard faces the road and has 1 apple tree on it the Irony was she calls it a victory garden and when someone complained about it she told them to pound sand. That was the end of it because no one in the neighborhood cared that it was there and they were ticked off that someone made it into a problem.

The porperty was a Big L shape because it was on a corner lot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
how does my rights change depending who my neighbors are? what if i had the place first and everyone built there nice things around me
Your choices change the rights that you ultimately have. It is your choice where you live.

I'm not a huge fan, but that's the way it is. I could never live in a city or even a town. That's my choice of what rights I ultimately do have.

Edit: I'll bet that it varies greatly, but here if you're zoned agriculture and a subdivision moves in around you initially they have no recourse. At some point the city will probably move to rezone your property as the area grows.

That's the evil Utilitarian Principle of that pits society against individual rights.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Wide-Eyed and Stern

I didn't see where it said he was in a HOA. But yes, you AGREE on paper to be in a HOA. So you are SOL, and bound by very demanding rules. St Augustine in dry southern states? HOA rules are *******s.

But it can go both ways. You can be cited for unsightlyness, I've been cited for parking a trailer in my grass. You can't park anything on grass. An unimproved surface.

BUT, it is his property. If he owns the land and the house, then he can do as he pleases. Ultimately, if you live that close to people, you guys have to work together and do what is pleasing to everyone. If everyone on his street submits to the city in writing that they don't mind, then it's nobody else's business. A stray car driving through thinks it looks crappy and calls the cops? Doesn't matter, his neighbors allowed it. Go home stray car, you don't even live here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dethmaul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
We all agree growing a garden is a Good Thing, but this guy unwisely signed a contract which says he'll abide by certain rules,
The article says that it is a city ordinance. I don't think that he signed anything other than to buy the property.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Your choices change the rights that you ultimately have. It is your choice where you live.

I'm not a huge fan, but that's the way it is. I could never live in a city or even a town. That's my choice of what rights I ultimately do have.

Edit: I'll bet that it varies greatly, but here if you're zoned agriculture and a subdivision moves in around you initially they have no recourse. At some point the city will probably move to rezone your property as the area grows.

That's the evil Utilitarian Principle of that pits society against individual rights.
my choices huh? how about how the cities to sustain there bloated programs keep anexing outward until they swallow up whole counties where once was farmland is now under the city jurisdiction?

then all of a sudden i have to abide by rules set forth by people I didnt even ask for neighbors?

**** that thats how people get killed
Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,262 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
We all agree growing a garden is a Good Thing, but this guy unwisely signed a contract which says he'll abide by certain rules, which apparently include allowing other people to render judgement on your compliance with their aesthetic preferences.

I may have to go back and read that article because I did not read where it said anything of the sort. I read that it was the city pushing the issue and so I inferred that is was some sort of city ordinance.

I think He needs to try and change the ordinance myself. We need stronger property rights not weaker. This seems like a good time to make a move towards change for him and his fellow citizens.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Expatman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Get off my ice.

Thanked 29,163 Times in 7,303 Posts

How messed up are we as a society when we prevent people from growing food because some feel it's unsightly? Boggles the mind.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Trapper

It's the city giving him crap, not an HOA. Used to be .gov encouraged victory gardens, oh wait, the White House has (had?) a huge one.

As an aside, isn't that one in Canada a nice looking little garden?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jedimindtrick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
How messed up are we as a society when we prevent people from growing food because some feel it's unsightly? Boggles the mind.
My dad used to say you can't legislate beauty. He meant theoretically of course, he knew the direction our over-reaching government was headed years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedimindtrick For This Useful Post: