Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Looking for binoculars

Advertise Here

Hey all. In the market for a pair. Under $100. Waterproof preferably. How are these?

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars...rawideview.cfm
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM

It's best if you describe what you intend to use them for. Binoculars are one of those things that the more money you spend the higher the quality and better they are for certain purposes. At $100 or less, you are looking at about as cheap as you can go, so I'm assuming your purpose is casual looking around in good light conditions.

Zeiss, Leopold, & Swarovski are generally considered the best. Certainly Nikon has some good glass, as well as others. With the top Binos, you are probably looking at $1000-1,500 for that size of binocular. The top glass is known for amazing images at extremely low light, minimal distortion, good color, rugged, etc.

Have you selected a 7 X 35 for a reason? It's a good, size, just curious if you know that's the size you want. I have a 8X20 pair of Zeiss Victory (their highest line) that are amazing and extremely compact so it's easy to take to a sporting event, travel with or carry in a BOB. Another great size is the 8X42, but that's a huge binocular. Excellent light gathering though. For long range or stationary observation I have a 85mm Zeiss Victory spotting scope with a 20-75X viewfinder. It' insane how clearly I can make out something several miles away...assuming the mirage isn't heavy.

Anyway, you are probably getting the point. There are all kins of options and you generally get what you pay for. Determine your use and dollars available and folks can give you a good idea of what to look at.
The Following User Says Thank You to reddirt14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,371 Posts

Nikon makes very good optics, but for less than $100 you won't be getting their best models. Anything is better than nothing, though.
There are many makes and models of binoculars, all kinds of combinations of power, size, weight and features. Go to REI, Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's or some similar outdoor sports store and look at what they have, look through them, handle them, etc. Then get what you want.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,940 Times in 784 Posts

Harbor freight has a pair for $20. Not top ofthe line but my pair has held up for a couple of years now with no problems. These are more than good enough to let you know if you need better quality or not. Chances you won't want to spend $100 after getting these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-x-50...ars-94527.html
•Panoramic wide-angle view
•10 x 50 power
•Range of view: 344 ft./1000 yards (105 meters/1000 meters)
•Foldable rubber eye cups
•Adjustable focus
The Following User Says Thank You to JDBushcraft For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Going to the store(s) and looking at the sizes, model and brands is the best idea. You'll start to see what the differences are and what you like.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,184 Posts

don't forget to check out your local pawn shops. i got my very high end nikon 7x50 "Night Owl" binocs at one for $50. excellent lenses especially at dusk and dawn when light is dim. had them for over 20 years now and they still look and function like new.
The Following User Says Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Veteran Hunter

Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,137 Posts

Just use your scope. Binoculars are so big and bulky, they aren't worth it. If you get a pair, get a pair like this though:

The Olympus Tracker 10x25 Compact Binoculars are a great pair of compact binoculars for under $70 ($50 on Amazon).

BaK-4 Prisms for bright, clear images
FOV: 91 meters at 1,000 yards
Dioptic correction & twisting eyecups

*rated the best "affordable" mid-range binocular by bird watchers

You really are limited by your price range. This is one of those products that you get what you spend. I personally would buy a really good scope and just use it as I mentioned before.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM
First In - Last Out

Don't buy the Nikon action bino's. I bought the 7x50 for about 250.00 and after I got home and started reading reviews on them, I found out that Nikon's Action binos are not water proof nor are they anti fog. The only binoculars that are both water proof and anti fog are Nikon's Monarch.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM

I was looking for some binocs in the $100 range a few years ago. I checked bird watching sites and opticstalk. The favorite seemed to be the Leupold Yosemite 8x30s. They are pretty nice for the price, and quite compact and light. I paid about $80.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Binoculars are for old people with bad eye sight. I would recomend squinting for distances under 100yards, and a rifle scope beyond that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I love this forum

Only one to buy is Bushnell perma-focus. Twisting a knob to follow a moving object is lame. Ever whale watch with regular binocs? By the time you locate the whale and attempt to focus its gone. With perma focus , there it is , now you are looking at it focused everytime where ever it pops up.
Ever bird watch a bird in flight? Try to follow a goldfinch going side to side and branch to branch down the trail with regular binocs. You will see it only if it sit still long enough for you to focus in. Gold finches don't sit long. You may never see it. Mean while with my perma-focus I followed it the whole time and even saw the hawk above hunting it all in focus at many random distances in seconds time, never once fussing with a knob.
Doing search/scan for game again the perma focus allows me to scan a grid never needing to focus when going from close to far.
Save your self a lot of money by trying the Bushnell perma-focus first.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnail View Post
Binoculars are for old people with bad eye sight. I would recomend squinting for distances under 100yards, and a rifle scope beyond that.
ROFLOL I just had to pick myself up after falling out of my chair while spewing my drink across the room.

Please delete your account now, before making another post. I am afraid if I read another one I might not survive due to not enough air in my lungs to sustain life from laughing so hard.

Now back to my regularly programmed schedule right after I clean the place up
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM
force multiplier

I know you have put a limit of $100 for a pair of bino's; that IMO is unrealistic to get good quality optics on a budget. About 5 years ago there were a fair amount of WW2 6x30 bino's available but the surplus has dried up. I bought some Carl Zeis 6x30 Chec republic surplus(1960); from Deutsch Optic for $99. Best buy I have ever found.

Retail, bar none; the best bang for the buck will be the Steiner 8x30 Military/Marine. It can be had from some online retailers for $199 after rebate. This is the same price I paid over 10 years ago. Try these 2 retailers for best price:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-...ry-marine.html

http://www.basspro.com/Steiner-8x30-...product/95296/

I have had numerous friends and family take one look through my Steiners and wonder why they ever paid $1000+ for their high end german and swiss bino's. Opinions are are like arm pits; everyone has a couple. But, you cannot go wrong with these. The secret is volume; Steiner makes and delivers more quality 8x30's due to US and NATO military contracts, than any of their competitors combined. Give this binocular a look. No better value anywhere.

Regards

Rod

BTW a 6x30, 7x30 and 8x30 will give you more magnification than you will ever need. Leave the high powers at home; I am very happy with my surplus Carl Z 6x30 and Steiner 8x30. In fact, my wife has claimed my Steiners so she can watch my high school aged son play football from the stands. I am left with my CZ 6x30 for hunting. I can tell you it is more than enough bino.

Last edited by Enforcer; 11-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: clarity
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enforcer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Prepared

Default Binos 101

It depends on what you want to do with them and what performance you expect from them. I like Nikons, they have very good lenses. If you're planning to use them in a wet environment, waterproof is the only way to go. I bought a pair of Nikon 7x50 waterproofs from optics planet for around $170.00 USD. They are not light weights, but the performance justifies the weight (IMO).

A little tutorial on binos... a little math first, divide the size of the objective lens (the big end) by the magnification power (exp. 35 divided by 7=5). By doing this you get the light gathering ability number for this particular unit. Anything below a "5" is MAINLY for daylight use...not to say they CAN'T be used in low light, they're just not as effective.

The higher the magnification, the smaller the field of view (usually expressed as X feet @ 1000yrds). Higher magnification is also NOTICEABLY less stable image wise (higher magnification, well, magnifies the tremors caused by your muscles, breathing and even your heartbeat). Ten power magnification is about the most you can use, hand-held and expect a (semi) stable image. 7x50s are, IMO, the best all around glasses for day & night (7.14 light gathering ability).

I would love to have a pair of Zeiss 8x56s and I'd give up that little tad of light gathering ability, sadly... out of my budget.

Low priced binos are not going to be as sharp and clear, they may be fine at the center of the lens, but the closer to the edge you get, the fuzzier the image becomes. I have some Bushnell 8x24 H2o compacts that are really blurry at the edges. I chose these for compactness & water resistance and got a very poor compromise.

If you can wait a bit and save a little more money toward the purchase, I think you'd be more satisfied in the long term with a pair of binos in the $150.00 to $200.00 range and the 7x50 power range.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joseywales44 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,316 Times in 5,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbladedude View Post
Hey all. In the market for a pair. Under $100. Waterproof preferably. How are these?

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars...rawideview.cfm
Those are good. I have used a pair of those for fun. They have a good "palm fit" because of the design.

But they are not waterproof or fog proof.

If you want a good "all around budget" bino that is pretty clear, fog/water proof and around $100 take a look at the Redfield line of Binoculars.

But let me recommend this... if you are buying soon, wait for those great online sales coming out this next week. You can pick up a 200$ pair for about 100$ if you look around.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Hunter

People that say you don't need binos either don't know how to use them or have never used them.

The answer "just use your scope " just might be in the top ten stupid answers of the month.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Prepared

Quote:
People that say you don't need binos either don't know how to use them or have never used them.

The answer "just use your scope " just might be in the top ten stupid answers of the month.
I have zero experiance in hunting used only a scope on the airgun in the back garden but I think the fiels of vieuw is les whit a scope than whit a bino, the use of the prisem makes a better picture, and scanning an area is mutch easyer whit a bino than a long rifele and not to mention the threat that people would feel pointing the barel their way (bad idea I think)

Rolf
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolf from Holland For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,316 Times in 5,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bill View Post

Problem with the scope is:

1) Eye relief. You have to hold it steady a few inches from your eye. This is tiring and unstable.
2) Field of View. It is much smaller piece of real-estate you cover.
3) Depth Perception. You loose much of it.

Yes, it magnifies and works in a pinch. But a pair of binos is much easier and effective to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Rub some dirt on it

I like them! I've had good luck with Nikon optics also. I'm not sure if they're the best "bang for your buck", but I like them. But I'm just a n00b....
The Following User Says Thank You to HogWilder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,397 Times in 4,589 Posts

I've had the same pair of Nikons for about 12 years. I couldn't be happier with them. They were closer to $200 but worth the money.