Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Question How will we survive without weapons

Advertise Here

Here I am prepping more n more but as I read the posts it makes me feel very inadequate. I'm a woman, never held a gun have no other weapons except the knives in my kitchen. I work in IT so using all kinds of tools I'm not familiar with.

I live in the city have no homestead but I am storing food, water and building a first aid kit.

Think I need to find myself a woodsman and store some wine.

Seriously how do other women feel they would survive if all hell broke loose?

I'm in Canada not as easy to get guns
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to renadia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,151 Posts

Many women preppers living alone have a gun. You might consider getting one and taking a class on its use. I know single women that have more than 1 and also carry. In todays world there is llittle respect for mankind much less women. Hope you carry pepper spray and a whistle with you and a can of wasp, hornet or oven cleaner in your car.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,720 Times in 2,953 Posts

No matter where we've lived, we have always had a 22 in the closet. But over the past 4 years I have added a ruger 10-22, at Walther p-22, 12 shotgun and a 357 magnum. I can use each of them because I practice.

I am a serious prepper because it will be needed in the near future.

I suggest that you get some defense traning of some kind. Living in the city, you're going to need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Rational Being

Thanked 4,079 Times in 1,266 Posts

Got a relative that shoots or hunts? Ask for some of their time. If not, there are ranges and clubs pretty much everywhere you go in the US. Call them up, explain your desire to be protected, and let the advice roll.

Hemming and hawing won't put a gun in your hand and teach you how to use it or maintain it. Just do it.

I have multiple guns at my disposal. My husband is overseas. I have two small children to protect. I'm not strong enough to deal with a determined attacker, and a gun is a great equalizer. I have had (and plan on having again once the new house is finished) livestock that needs protecting. And... I like shooting. I'm good at it. It's one of the very few things that seemed to come naturally to me. The first few times I shot, I hit the target more often than my dad. He's been shooting all his life.

You either want to learn or you don't. I'm guessing you do, otherwise why post about it? So do it. Don't back down from it if it's something you want to do. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Oh... and post pictures of your target here to brag. :D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NectarNook For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 1,952 Times in 753 Posts

Move south of the border (and not to Illinois)?

How about some self-defense classes in the martial arts? I carry a gun and knife on me at all times and sometimes OC spray. I will not go down without a fight.

A gun is just like any other tool. Learn to use one and operate within the laws of your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

I agree with the others who have said to just get it done. I understand that gun ownership in Canada is not impossible so if you want a gun then jump through those hoops and get it done. I'm also an aging woman and I'd rather not get into a physical scrap. I've studied martial arts but as I've said, I'm getting older. Broken bones & bruises don't heal as quickly as they used to. A gun is a great equalizer. I have three pistols and one shotgun, and I carry a pistol in my fanny pack. So far it's been very uneventful, and fine with me if it stays that way. OTOH if someone mistakes me for a victim, both my mind and my arm are prepared to disabuse them of their mistaken perception. I've taken all of the training I can get my kitty paws on in the hopes of keeping my head in a scary and tense situation.

Get it done if you want to do it. Wishing and talking about it is no substitute for action.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM

There is no sense to keeping a stockpile of anything, if someone can come in and take it from you by force. They will take it, you need to be prepared to defend not only yourself but your preps. Take the time to learn how to defend yourself. If it's legal where you are at get the largest caliber gun you are comfortable with and PRACTICE! There are many classes for women to learn, I know some women have a fear of learning from men or in front of them. The classes are taught by trained women, and most offer women only classes. Look into it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mommatried For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Military MOM

Thanked 6,268 Times in 2,496 Posts

I agree with most posts above, but don't forget the simplest item, pepper spray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marcie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Blessed

I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. Whatever the red tape is, it is worth it. It is worth learning the skill to be able to defend yourself.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kiteri For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Start of by going to a local gun shop or pawn shop and handling some of the guns to see what fits you best you don't want a gun that feels to big or clunky to you to start off with. Plus the people at these shops are usually great at showing you the basics such as the safety, the kind of ammo it takes, even how to hold it. Once you find something you feel comfortable with you can shop around a little. There are classes you can take to learn to shoot and operate a gun.Also any friends or family who hunt or have gun experience would be an invaluable resource. You are ahead of many others by having stockpiles of food water and medical supplies, but that's useless if the unpreparedwith a gun come into your house and take it by force. I truly feel like guns and ammo are a must in today society rather its a SHTF scenario or not. Besides a gun serves more than one purpose not only can you protect yourself but eventually when your stores run out you will have a gun to hunt with
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcggnj For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,918 Times in 5,720 Posts

Grannie sez:

Get yourself acquainted with guns. They won't bite you -- IF you're trained. That's important, so I'll say it again: get some training so you'll know you're safe using a gun. You do not need to be afraid of the gun itself -- take your time, learn it's parts and how they work. Then shoot. See how you feel after the first shot. You can stop any time you want, you know.

My money says you'll shoot more than one bullet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM

I too am in the market for self defense skills and tools. My husband is decidedly uncomfortable with having a gun in the house, so that's a long term wear him down thing. In the meantime I like the suggestion of a baseball bat. I also would like to take a self defense course or martial arts classes when I get the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to bookgrl.ph For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,187 Times in 494 Posts

I second the Ruger 10-22. I love the folding stock. Makes me feel tough!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,536 Times in 10,508 Posts

Well i live in New Zealand, so I don't have a gun. Currently I don't need one. (Currently I don't lock my doors when I go out/go to bed.)

But my son did ask me a while ago what weapon I would grab if the zombie hordes came.

And I thought about it, and I answered him "the spade"

I know how to use it. It's like second nature to me. I can do anything with a spade.

Use a weapon you know the heft of. Use a weapon you know the style of. There's no point running off and getting something others tell you to get if it is not so comfortable in your hand it's just an extension of you when you need it.

any hestitation and you're stuffed.

Upon reflection I could have said my pickaxe. Or my gardening fork. I could kill someone with any of those things and bury him straight after.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,918 Times in 5,720 Posts

haha49 -

hats off to you! You did good.

And Absolutely! - I don't think I'd want to face you wielding the spade or the fork. I know what you mean - my fork is my best friend, too!

But, I'll pass on what my first tai chi teacher told me - way back in the 70s. I'd asked him what moves he used to defend himself, when he drove into the inner city... and he said drawing and shooting his .45. You can't know if a bad guy is armed or not - nor what he's armed with. The bad guys can get guns easier than the rest of us, because they don't fuss over or follow the rules - even where guns are banned to us. You might be outnumbered, too. It's not always necessary to shoot to kill - it's possible to create a moment in time to make your escape, if you can startle, stun, or injure someone. Tactics are important and can be learned in martial arts.

I know, that like haha49, I could defend myself pretty well against one, maybe two unarmed attackers with just my martial arts skills. Baseball bats, large flashlights, cast iron skillets all make handy weapons, too. I like a stout walking stick, as well -- because I can keep someone further away from me, so that they can't touch me. But once you've been through a fight like that - it kind of becomes clear to a person - that you don't want to do it again. Like it or not, we all get older. Help isn't always nearby... it'll be just you and whatever you've got that will defend you and perhaps save your life.

Everyone makes their own decisions about how that's going to be possible, if ever needed. Me, I'm going to bring enough gun. Even if I'm covered in flour from baking cookies... or sitting by the sewing machine making baby clothes for the next grandchild.

There was a great story making the rounds not long ago. A trooper stopped a little old lady and she presented him with her conceal carry permit along with her driver's license. He asked her to show him the gun in her car... a .357. He asked her, Lady what are you afraid of?! She smiled sweetly and said: Not a F'ng thing...

Training and practice helps you not have to live constantly with fear. It won't go away completely - because fear is our natural alert system. But training and practice will help your brain & body react instinctively to protect yourself -- without thinking. No, not "guns blasting" - but with the very serious intent that if the threat does NOT back off and leave you alone, that you can and will pull the trigger.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 AM
official g-man versifier

Thanked 23,854 Times in 6,317 Posts

Get yourself some weapons and get acquainted with them. I'm a single woman, all the more reason to be armed. I have knives, firearms, pepper spray, bear spray, stun guns, baseball bats, etc... Every room in the house has a means to attack someone. Practice using them, they need to be second nature. Try to make yourself physically strong - pushups, squats, lift weights. Show your war face and yowl in the mirror (good stress reliever ) Take defense courses.. Go to the range. Good skills to have in everyday life, not just when TSHTF. Like someone above said, I'm not giving in without a fight.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UnderTheStars For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,209 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renadia View Post
Here I am prepping more n more but as I read the posts it makes me feel very inadequate. I'm a woman, never held a gun have no other weapons except the knives in my kitchen. I work in IT so using all kinds of tools I'm not familiar with.

I live in the city have no homestead but I am storing food, water and building a first aid kit.

Think I need to find myself a woodsman and store some wine.

Seriously how do other women feel they would survive if all hell broke loose?
The local community college will probably have the one-day course required before you can apply for your PAL (possession and Acquisition License). I took it one Saturday; it isn't that difficult and I think it cost about $65 when I did it. Phone around, take the course...do it.

As to how surviving can be done without weapons...when someone wants what you have, they will either...
1. walk in and take it while you cower in the closet, (if you're lucky),
2. fight you for it,
3. or be stopped in their tracks;

which would you prefer?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,678 Times in 644 Posts

The most important thing is attitude. Throwing your hands up and screaming....doesn't do a thing. My 2nd X ( even idiots say smart things once in awhile)...came up with the phrase..." He slower than the horse, smaller than the cow and dumber than the dog....you can take him!" My weapons of choice....large LGDs as early warning, 12 ga for inside the house protection ( esp at night) and a .45 for just cuz<smile>. That was my BDay gift to me. I wonder what I will get me for Christmas!!!!<smile>. I did take the CC class and passed but around here, open carry is the norm.

Liebrecht
The Following User Says Thank You to liebrecht For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
VIP Member

www.taser.com for the best in tasers. I agree that the most important thing is attitude. The fellow who took down the guy who shot Gabby Giffords used a folding chair if I remember correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 1,952 Times in 753 Posts

How about something dual purpose like a machete? We have one made in El Salvador. Right now, it's just strictly preps. But if the SHTF, you could use it as a weapon or a survival tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post: