Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow wolf View Post
the best knife for fighting is the one they never see.

This, or one of those sweet spetsnaz ballistic knife
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM

For pure fighting, the Gerber Mk II is hard to beat. My 2 cents...

slik
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxpatrickxx View Post
This, or one of those sweet spetsnaz ballistic knife
You are in a jam if you miss. I see them as more of a Russian idea that has little practical application while still being deadly. Don't see the point of a knife you can only use once if the blade is shot or missing.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM

The knife doesn't matter. It is the ability of the person using it. You give an unskilled person a KBar and a person trained with knives a 2 inch folder and the skilled wins 9 out of 10 times. I carry a SOG Flash II tanto straight edge and a SOG Seal Pup.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,133 Times in 3,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachook View Post
You are in a jam if you miss. I see them as more of a Russian idea that has little practical application while still being deadly. Don't see the point of a knife you can only use once if the blade is shot or missing.
This isn't one of my favorite edged tools, but, having had to deal with a man who was using one once, I have to say that if he'd been a little slicker about using it, I wouldn't be typing this now. He used it as a knife, and was about to operate the spring feature when my cane took him across the wrist. Blade went into the street.... That was in 1979, in Ciudad Juarez....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Target Shooter

What ! That sounds like an awesome story if you care to elaborate,and for the ballistic knife
I figured its highly effective if you used it in same a situation where someone is grabbing your wrist, just twist towards him and let it fly lol
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
This isn't one of my favorite edged tools, but, having had to deal with a man who was using one once, I have to say that if he'd been a little slicker about using it, I wouldn't be typing this now. He used it as a knife, and was about to operate the spring feature when my cane took him across the wrist. Blade went into the street.... That was in 1979, in Ciudad Juarez....
wow: You are fortunate to be alive.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,133 Times in 3,680 Posts

Very fortunate. It's a deadly trick weapon, and a serviceable fighting blade, but only if your opponent is not armed with a firearm, or does not recognize the thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Furry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
The thing is-the front portion ISN'T a skinning portion. It's a hand axe. The small 'hook' where the front section transitions to the straight edge is a live edge. It's extremely sharp, and it makes a MASSIVE slashing wound.

And, thanks for the compliment.
No the front portion is not the skinning portion; I know since I've owned a Tom Brown tracker as well. Most here have not owned one so alot of people go by what others say; on the other hand alot of people do not understand the mechanics of a simple slash. so sliding a blade across the target dosn't matter.
you have to flick your hand/ wrist into a slash for it to dig in and that where the skinning portion digs in and drags not slides. The impact force at the tip in a downward stab would be a fight ender. keep the blade into the target and pry back and forth latteraly with the pressure at the tip, I mince no words when it comes to this practice as it must end the fight. I still just recommend the blade for field craft and light duties but unlike the knife in the hunted ( Raven WSK) , totally different style...I'd recommend the Spyderco warrior for close in grappling .
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Furry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr02 View Post
For pure fighting, the Gerber Mk II is hard to beat. My 2 cents...

slik
if you have smaller hands its not bad; my hooks are a little larger so its just a poking thing. the weight is not there for me so its not a great slasher for me.
try out the Cold Steel Tai pan if you have the means to do so....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearspirit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Very fortunate. It's a deadly trick weapon, and a serviceable fighting blade, but only if your opponent is not armed with a firearm, or does not recognize the thing.
Or be able to react in time.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 2,006 Times in 879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearspirit View Post
try out the Cold Steel Tai pan if you have the means to do so....
+1 ^^^

I have never been able to justify the $ to get it, but if I could, I would. It is definitely a fighting blade, and the feel of it is just right. Balance = good. Blade is very "alive" in the hand.

If I had beaucoup $$, I would look into this maker:

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/K...sudaKnife.html

Some of these blades are probably overkill, but a few just scream "Use Me!" All of them have a positive aesthetic quality for me. I will dream on...

... but a few would be in contention for my idea of the "best fighting knife".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Default If...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy a. raines View Post
i was wondering what any of your opinions are on what the best fighting knife is something easy to carry unseen quick on the draw but very effective
....I bug out, I'm taking my Woodsman's Pal and Fairburn-Sykes fighting knife. The F-S knife I'll carry in a specially sewn pocket on my right hip a la the First Canadian Parachute Battalion in WWII. It's quick to access and doesn't inhibit bending as some belt mounted sheaths do.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky48 View Post
+1 ^^^

I have never been able to justify the $ to get it, but if I could, I would. It is definitely a fighting blade, and the feel of it is just right. Balance = good. Blade is very "alive" in the hand.

If I had beaucoup $$, I would look into this maker:

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/K...sudaKnife.html

Some of these blades are probably overkill, but a few just scream "Use Me!" All of them have a positive aesthetic quality for me. I will dream on...

... but a few would be in contention for my idea of the "best fighting knife".
My wallet will try to kill me and then come after you after it sees this. :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Pelican For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Default My musings

Just my rambling thoughts. Someone above said the best knife is the one you have with you--that is the absolute truth. You gota get it out and get it open---practice, practice, practice. Someone else said he would rather take on a knife with empty hands, I sort of agree with that also but that is just me. Years ago I was taught to attack the hand/arm that held the knife first but perhaps that has also gone by the wayside. The best knife guys I have personally seen attack with blinding speed, obviously practiced, keep all the strikes inside the body line and use a motion not unlike someone with nunchucks (sp) might use and keep using it until someone goes down. Also remember that for the "average" guy with a stuffed pistol can not draw and shoot before they get cut if they let a knife guy get within 20 feet- I have proved this over and over. Also remember if you play with knives you WILL get cut. Now having said all this I like a Benchmade pocket knife and my old, very old, KBar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grouch1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Furry

Man those KaBar Bowies were something or else. Guards were meant for the style of blade it was attached to. Nice add in Grouch1.