Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Religious Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 4,271 Times in 2,523 Posts
Default Religion or Relationship

Advertise Here

Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
From another thread:
[...]
Very well, here's elsewhere. If you don't like my CONSTANT debate about my Catholic beliefs, please learn to express your particular belief system in terms of something other than how it is not Catholic. Anyway, surely a credentialed minister such as yourself should be able to address my above questions, no?[...]
Why are you so obsessed with all this?

Rest assured, seminary-trained protestant ministers have a response to everything Roman Catholic. His credentials guarantee it. Is he infallible? Certainly not. But the problem is, you do not know where he's right and where he's wrong. That's not your fault. Most modern RC priests would be hard pressed to hold their own with him. The Roman Church itself has made it easy. They compel your obedience to their teachings under penalty of sin, not his. The Church has convinced you that it is possible for a human being - currently living - to be infallible. Are you beginning to understand? A protestant minister has as much a claim to infallibility on morals and doctrine as any other individual human being: absolutely zero. He knows it. You act like you don't. Therein lies your disadvantage.

If you wish to prepare yourself for future engagements, you would do well to study the history of the Christian Church from non-RC-specific sources. Find out for yourself when, where, and why the Roman Church went off the rails. That's the beginning of the 500-year train wreck which led directly to the Reformation. Accept that, learn how to deal with it, and move on.

Better yet, trace your Church's history beyond the Schism to the early Fathers, the Apostles and Christ Himself. It takes a bit of effort, but it can be done. In the Church's pre-schismatic roots, you will find more credibility, authority and genuine Christianity than at any time since. Back then, doctrine was established by the unified Church in Council, not the unilateral proclamation of of any individual.

The history of salvation through Jesus Christ did not begin on a movie lot out in the valley. There is a verifiable history available to anyone interested. Find that and you find Christ and His Church. Let the facts lead you to the truth, not vice versa.

I know we disagree at times my brother, but I take no pleasure seeing you stomped into the turf by these bloody protestants.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,510 Times in 3,232 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca-6 View Post

I know we disagree at times, my brother, but I take no pleasure seeing you stomped into the turf by these bloody protestants.
LOL, i've known firebird for years and have yet to see'um ''stomped into the turf by anyone''
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123 View Post
LOL, i've known firebird for years and have yet to see'um ''stomped into the turf by anyone''
I'm sure that he's a fine young man.

If "kicked to the curb" has a better sound, so be it.

I've been posting to this forum for about a week and have seen it several times already. Hope it never happens again. Any effort to oppose Protestantism with Roman Catholicism alone is like bringing a tennis racquet to gunfight. Not recommended.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 19,291 Times in 6,517 Posts

Quote:

I know we disagree at times my brother, but I take no pleasure seeing you stomped into the turf by these bloody protestants.
Been here for a few years and have yet to see Firebird "stomped into the turf by bloody Protestants."

Lol...wut?

Actually the contrary, more like Firebird sending Protestants running for the hills...

Folks disagree and move on, but that's about it. No one gets "stomped"...
Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
I'm sure that he's a fine young man.

If "kicked to the curb" has a better sound, so be it.

I've been posting to this forum for about a week and have seen it several times already. Hope it never happens again. Any effort to oppose Protestantism with Roman Catholicism alone is like bringing a tennis racquet to gunfight. Not recommended.
So you have been here a WEEK.

Explains alot. Try spending several YEARS here going back and forth to make a better judgement call around here.

Protestanism is watered-down Catholicism. Plain and simple. If your Christian faith isn't radically different than what the RCC preaches, then you might as well go back IMO.

And you clearly don't understand the doctrine of papal infallibility. Nothing about that doctrine states the popes themselves are infallible men. Any honest study of history reveals quite the opposite. So obviously, you don't "get" that doctrine.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Tiber Swim Team 2012

Thanked 1,445 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with all this?

Rest assured, seminary-trained protestant ministers have a response to everything Roman Catholic. His credentials guarantee it. Is he infallible? Certainly not. But the problem is, you do not know where he's right and where he's wrong. That's not your fault. Most modern RC priests would be hard pressed to hold their own with him. The Roman Church itself has made it easy. They compel your obedience to their teachings under penalty of sin, not his. The Church has convinced you that it is possible for a human being - currently living - to be infallible. Are you beginning to understand? A protestant minister has as much a claim to infallibility on morals and doctrine as any other individual human being: absolutely zero. He knows it. You act like you don't. Therein lies your disadvantage.

If you wish to prepare yourself for future engagements, you would do well to study the history of the Christian Church from non-RC-specific sources. Find out for yourself when, where, and why the Roman Church went off the rails. That's the beginning of the 500-year train wreck which led directly to the Reformation. Accept that, learn how to deal with it, and move on.

Better yet, trace your Church's history beyond the Schism to the early Fathers, the Apostles and Christ Himself. It takes a bit of effort, but it can be done. In the Church's pre-schismatic roots, you will find more credibility, authority and genuine Christianity than at any time since. Back then, doctrine was established by the unified Church in Council, not the unilateral proclamation of of any individual.

The history of salvation through Jesus Christ did not begin on a movie lot out in the valley. There is a verifiable history available to anyone interested. Find that and you find Christ and His Church. Let the facts lead you to the truth, not vice versa.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. After dealing with Sandy, it's nice to come back here for some comic relief LOL. It's pretty obvious that you haven't read very many of Firebird's posts.

ps You need to educate yourself on the meaning of Papal infallibility.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRecluse View Post
So you have been here a WEEK.

Explains alot. Try spending several YEARS here going back and forth to make a better judgement call around here.

Protestanism is watered-down Catholicism. Plain and simple. If your Christian faith isn't radically different than what the RCC preaches, then you might as well go back IMO.

And you clearly don't understand the doctrine of papal infallibility. Nothing about that doctrine states the popes themselves are infallible men. Any honest study of history reveals quite the opposite. So obviously, you don't "get" that doctrine.
Yes, found the forum earlier this month. I base my remarks on some of his recent activity in the religious discussion sub-forum. I suppose that anyone can have an off-day though. Would you care to provide a link to a thread where you feel he was in particularly top form?

Yes, I agree that Protestantism is watered-down Roman Catholicism. But Roman Catholics were the first Protestants. Since the 11th century, the Roman church had added so many doctrinal innovations, repudiated so much of its own history, and divorced itself from so much of its own sacred tradition, that in the 16th century the Reformation was launched from within its own ranks.

I know full-well what the Roman Church teaches on Papal Infallibility. From the day I was born - to this very day - I have been required to believe it under penalty of sin. I also know its history in Roman dogma. Do you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Comandante1970
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. After dealing with Sandy, it's nice to come back here for some comic relief LOL. It's pretty obvious that you haven't read very many of Firebird's posts. You need to educate yourself on the meaning of Papal infallibility.
Below your user name is the line "Tiber Swim Team 2012". Would you care to explain exactly what that means? BTW, how did you "deal" with Sandy.

Rebecca-Six
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Rebecca-6's tirades certainly express a confusion, which is further evidenced by her mixed attendances of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy and the Catholic Mass:
My remarks are not intended as a tirade. Nor am I copnfused about any topic I've discussed here. I merely have an experience with both Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy that is not shared by everyone in this online forum.

I am a lifelong Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox catecheumen. That means I'm discerning a conversion to Orthodoxy and studying Church history, theoology, practices and the differences between Orthodoxy and other confessions of Christian Faith. This formal course of study usually takes 1-2 years from the time a candidate is accepted into the program to the she is received into the Church. Until then, I remain a practicing Roman Catholic.

Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy share more than one thousand years of common history, and nearly one thousand years of post-schismatic separation. To this day, they share many common beliefs and practices. But the differences are striking.

From my own personal experience, I know that the vast majority of Western Christians [RC and Protestants alike] have little or no exposure to Eastern Orthodoxy and are often shocked to discover it for the first time. There is nothing to fear. It is merely the common heritage of all who call themselves "Christian".

If you are hearing this for the first time, your reaction is predictable.

In his Epistle to the Romans, Saint Paul writes, "The night is far advanced and the day is at hand. Let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.".

At the beginning of his Holy Gospel, Saint John writes, "In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat apud Deum.".

Live and learn, my brother. It's never too late.

Rebecca-6
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRecluse View Post
Been here for a few years and have yet to see Firebird "stomped into the turf by bloody Protestants."

Lol...wut?

Actually the contrary, more like Firebird sending Protestants running for the hills...

Folks disagree and move on, but that's about it. No one gets "stomped"...
I persnally think FB could hold his own in a toe to toe between him against a grizzly and a wolverine.
and despite his leanings has a great sense of humour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paradox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
I persnally think FB could hold his own in a toe to toe between him against a grizzly and a wolverine.
Firebird trolls me hard sometimes....

.....he knows he can because he takes advantage of my pea-brained jarhead...

Me like rifle. Me shoot. Me blow things up. I like turtlezzz....

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
No dispute.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Since you were so quick to come to pastornator's defense, will you help him out by addressing my two questions?
I didn't come to his defense, I came to yours. You called him out even though you are unprepared to take him to the mat. Who wants to read to another 10,000 words that end in stalemate? The loser is perceived to be the one who unnecessarily begins an unresolvable discourse. Why bother?

As for me, I respectfully decline to speak for him. I'm confident that he will either show up when he's ready to respond, or not, as he chooses. But for your sake, I hope he doesn't, because you have homework to do. So get to it.

'Becca.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,892 Times in 4,181 Posts

Just as you are suspicious and defensive about the things others have to say challanging the things your church teaches.
The reason many put forth the efort is the contrast they have precieved in their own expirence ,some having been where you are.
This is the reason I chalange all forms of religion, even those that are particularly intellectual. Not because I am an intellect , far be it ,I barely passed Highschool .
Jesus said the Holy Spirit would teach in His place ,I believe Him ,and supprizing he does this for me .
In the light of eternity, what is going to matter ?
Your accomplishments God did not ask of you ,or the small deeds God might have asked of you, had you been obeying His voice in your life ?
Will knowing the scriptures and all the trivia, contribute or diminish your obedience to God ?
My expirence is, that it will diminish my resolve to obey, because I am looking to the flesh for approval, not God.
I have learned to simply stick with the things Jesus taught and leave other men out of the equasion, even my own feelings , and that is really tough to do .
God blesses me , especially when I obey in areas that require a bit more trust than information.
Adam failed seeking second hand information.
Jesus provided that we could have first hand information .
From my point of view, seeking after second hand information, when first hand is available, is a slap in the face ,don't your think ?
Especially for the investment God already laid out for our redemption ?
Whom should be your teacher ?
Men or God ?
you choose .
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Tiber Swim Team 2012

Quote:
.....I know full-well what the Roman Church teaches on Papal Infallibility.....
Your earlier post clearly shows that like many protestants and former Catholics, you don't understand it.

Quote:
.....Below your user name is the line "Tiber Swim Team 2012". Would you care to explain exactly what that means?
You already know what it means as evidenced by your questions to me in another thread. Seems a bit disingenuous on your part to ask for an explanation, don't you think?

Quote:
.....BTW, how did you "deal" with Sandy.
What the??? I'm sure you can figure out what "dealing with Sandy" means. (Hint--it has to do with a hurricane)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Tiber Swim Team 2012

Quote:
Rebecca-6's tirades certainly express a confusion, which is further evidenced by her mixed attendances of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy and the Catholic Mass:
Strange. Not sure why she continues to attend Catholic services if she thinks the Catholic Church is protestant. I know I wouldn't.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Tiber Swim Team 2012

Quote:
I didn't come to his defense, I came to yours.
You're a funny girl, but you're not fooling anyone.

Quote:
You called him out even though you are unprepared to take him to the mat.
Your opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Quote:
Who wants to read to another 10,000 words that end in stalemate? The loser is perceived to be the one who unnecessarily begins an unresolvable discourse. Why bother?
If you don't want to read 10,000 words no one is forcing you to, but how about you let the rest of us decide what we want to read and discuss, and if you don't like it you can just butt out? Sound good?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
You're too much!
Thanks.

Quote:
Perhaps.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Well, if you would put a sock in it, the word count would likely drop to half that.
I can shorten the word count if you wish, but what's left, you may not like it so much. Count your blessings.

Quote:
Yes, why do you?
Have you heard the parable of the Good Samaritan?

Quote:
Get to what? He's a no-show, and you're a bag of hot air.
For his no show, you should thank God. As for me, I'm a big girl. I've been called worse. I'll get over it.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by comandante1970 View Post
Your earlier post clearly shows that like many protestants and former Catholics, you don't understand it.
I don't get your point here. Why would a former Catholic know less about ANY Catholic doctrine than an active duty Catholic? Former Catholics are free of the sanction of obedience to the Roman Pope and the Magisterium. But I'll allow you the opportunity to school me on the doctrine of Papal Infallibility right here if you wish. Or not, as you choose.

Quote:
You already know what it means as evidenced by your questions to me in another thread. Seems a bit disingenuous on your part to ask for an explanation, don't you think?
You declined to responded to my questions there. I was prepared to let it go at that. Here, you challenge my knowledge of your current confession of Faith. What then, are your qualifications to do so?

Quote:
What the??? I'm sure you can figure out what "dealing with Sandy" means. (Hint--it has to do with a hurricane)
If you think I was talking about your sister, I beg your pardon.

Rebecca-6
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by comandante1970 View Post
Strange. Not sure why she continues to attend Catholic services if she thinks the Catholic Church is protestant. I know I wouldn't.
This is a great question. I you asked me directly, I would answer that I will always attend Roman Catholic services because all my family and many of my friends are members of the Church. God willing, I will convert to Holy Orthodoxy directly from the Roman Church. Until that day, I remain Roman Catholic, and as such, the Roman Church claims authority over my thoughts and actions.

Rebecca-6