Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

I pulled into a gas station yesterday with the family at about 5:30, as people were getting off of work. The station is in a largely suburban neighborhood where there are a few business offices, but certainly not anywhere near the busy part of town.

I got a feeling that something was about to go down. I didn't know what, but the Spidey sense was tingling, so I peaked over the pump, about 10 seconds before a wild eyed hobo looking guy about 30' away, started yelling at the lady pumping gas in front of my car. He screamed at her, and looked at me. I heard her say something on my right as I kept him in sight, and he yelled back, turning to look at me again. He looked down and around, and then back at me again.

Now, the funny thing is that I rarely stare at people, and tend to avoid eye contact whenever possible. I'll watch them in a window reflection or a mirror whenever possible as they don't notice me watching them that way. Well, in this situation, I got the real distinct impression that I needed to stare him down regardless of the fact that it tends to escalate problems. It was a really creepy thing to do, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time although it was totally against my nature.

He looked up, around, back at me, down, got in his truck, got back out, then glared at me again, screamed and got back in the truck. He peeled out through the station, did a three point turn on the far side of the station, then came back through flying through the station between the cars and the pay booth doing about 20 mph, and tore right onto the street right into a red light.

He continued screaming while waiting, then lit it up in 1st and 2nd gear, tearing off into the distance. I looked at the lady and the young guy who looked like her boyfriend, and they jumped in their car and bailed.

Rack up another crazy confrontation that was averted by situational awareness. I'm certain he was planning on coming over and going crazy, but having me positioned where I was, staring him down behind the pump, seemed to make him think otherwise.

I have to admit that I didn't want a confrontation for sure, but having heat certainly makes one worry less in such situations. Just the same, I'd rather have him take crazytown back to his place, thanks.

__
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Neptune For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 PM

In the summer I was just walking in the woods at night with a couple of buddies and in this field we saw this bonfire and three dudes having sex.
The Following User Says Thank You to capleton22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
I pulled into a gas station yesterday with the family at about 5:30, as people were getting off of work. The station is in a largely suburban neighborhood where there are a few business offices, but certainly not anywhere near the busy part of town.

I got a feeling that something was about to go down. I didn't know what, but the Spidey sense was tingling, so I peaked over the pump, about 10 seconds before a wild eyed hobo looking guy about 30' away, started yelling at the lady pumping gas in front of my car. He screamed at her, and looked at me. I heard her say something on my right as I kept him in sight, and he yelled back, turning to look at me again. He looked down and around, and then back at me again.

Now, the funny thing is that I rarely stare at people, and tend to avoid eye contact whenever possible. I'll watch them in a window reflection or a mirror whenever possible as they don't notice me watching them that way. Well, in this situation, I got the real distinct impression that I needed to stare him down regardless of the fact that it tends to escalate problems. It was a really creepy thing to do, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time although it was totally against my nature.

He looked up, around, back at me, down, got in his truck, got back out, then glared at me again, screamed and got back in the truck. He peeled out through the station, did a three point turn on the far side of the station, then came back through flying through the station between the cars and the pay booth doing about 20 mph, and tore right onto the street right into a red light.

He continued screaming while waiting, then lit it up in 1st and 2nd gear, tearing off into the distance. I looked at the lady and the young guy who looked like her boyfriend, and they jumped in their car and bailed.

Rack up another crazy confrontation that was averted by situational awareness. I'm certain he was planning on coming over and going crazy, but having me positioned where I was, staring him down behind the pump, seemed to make him think otherwise.

I have to admit that I didn't want a confrontation for sure, but having heat certainly makes one worry less in such situations. Just the same, I'd rather have him take crazytown back to his place, thanks.

__
You probably did far more good than you might realize. I suspect he was going to go "crazy wolf" on some human sheep, but he sensed your guard dog presence and changed his mind. Not half bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dearborn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM

POSTER: MT PATRIOT
Creepy stories from the outdoors.

Back in the day, when I was in college, me and the oldest took off to a lake in the wilds of glacier country. I have extensive backcountry exposure, even did a stint as a big game guide in a remote backcountry camp. On this day we enjoyed the fishing and settled in for the night.
I pulled out my pan and stoked up a nice fire. It was clear and cool as the sun faded into the western slopes. We cooked up some fresh rainbows with garlic and butter and filled our stomachs. I leaned back against the cooler after pulling out a refreshing beverage. The boy was soon asleep by the fire as it had been a busy day. I sipped my beer and watched the moon light bouncing off the little waves in the lake. There was still a light glow on the western horizon where the sun had gone down and I could see the outline of the mountain peaks towering over the little lake. I slowly faded off to sleep with the sound of the lake waves gently lapping on the rocks.
I awoke with a start. The fire was out, the latern was out too. The moon was gone and it was pitch black. Something was wrong. The hair on the back of my neck stood straight out. I was paralyzed. I could hear my heart thumping as I strained to hear something in the bush, all was quiet. I had a horrible uneasy feeling. I gathered myself togather and started kicking around the fire, a small flame came alive and I quickly threw on some wood. In the firelight I could see that the boy had awoke and was shocked to see his wide open eyes staring at me. "Whats wrong?" he asked. "Nothing, go climb in the tent." I lied. He crawled into the tent but even in the light of fire I couldn't shake my waryness. Something was out there in the bush, and I could feel it was watching me.
I gathered up my light and flashed around camp. Nothing. Finally, I began to calm down and crawled in the tent with the boy. Then again, like clockwork, I awoke completely tense. This time I couldn't shake the feeling at all. I finally instructed the boy to wake up and go get in the truck. I packed up all of camp and drove around to the other side of the lake and slept with him in the truck. At dawn I got up and looked across the lake where we were camped earlier, and another uneasy feeling came over me. I decided it was time to go home. I don't know what was out there, or what was going on over there, but I know my instincts, and something was bad wrong with that place. Whatever it was, I will leave it to your imagination, it creeps me out to this day thinking about that night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Foots are supposed to smell quite badly. And I mean NASTY. Did you smell anything after waking up? I would have gone back after sunrise and looked around for evidence like animal tracks. But then, once the sun comes up it much easier for me to be brave...
The Following User Says Thank You to Adventure4Life For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capleton22 View Post
In the summer I was just walking in the woods at night with a couple of buddies and in this field we saw this bonfire and three dudes having sex.
Are you being serious or funny here???
The Following User Says Thank You to Adventure4Life For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Several years ago, I was visiting my family and they had gone out to a movie. I was home alone with the dog reading a book in bed. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched and the dog was restless and whining. My brother came in through the garage door on the other side of the house and I told him I thought someone was outside the window. He went out to investigate and scared off a guy who had been camped out under the window all night. When we looked the next morning there were at least 12 cig butts there. Ugh. It still freaks me out to be home alone. Guess that's why I have so many dogs.

Yeah, it's not the outdoors but it was still creepy.

I've camped lots of times and the scariest things I've encountered were always of the 2-legged variety. Guys who didn't understand that I wanted to be left alone to camp in peace mostly.
That's scarier than anything else I've read in this thread!! Why didn't you guys call the police?? I would have been freaked out to ever be alone in the house ever again. Especially with the blinds open. God only knows what a sicko he was.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malevolus View Post
I've got a couple little stories that stand out in my mind.

First one took place when I was about 14 or 15 when I lived in Arizona. My mom had taken my best buddy and I night fishing, like we did almost every weekend. We got to our usual spot, my mom pops the trunk for us to get our gear and we both stop and just look around the area. He got a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach and was saying we should probably go to one of our other usual spots. I shrugged it off, grabbed my gear and got about ten feet from the car when I got a feeling like I was punched in the gut. I looked back, he was still by the car and agreed we needed to go elsewhere.

So we get to our other spot, everything feels fine, and we had an awesome summer night of fishing. Until about midnight. We were out on this dock, probably 100-120' from shore and out of nowhere a monsoon kicks up. Literally out of nowhere. One minute it's nice and calm, no wind, no nothing. The next there's debris and dirt and all kinds of crap flyin through the air and the rain and lightning kick on. We throw crap in our boxes, cut our lines and sprint up to the car. On the half hour drive home we had about 30 feet of visibility and at least 60mph winds. If we stayed at our first place, we would have been hit harder as it was at the mouth of this little canyon and we would have been down a 15-20' hill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same buddy as before except I was night fishing with his stepdad and two brothers. When we got to this cove we saw a couple police cars a few coves over, but didn't really pay it any mind. We go down and start fishin, but soon we're seeing a ton of boats going up and down the river in front of our cove, then a helicopter joins the search. It hovers about 50' the water's surface and is spotlighting everywhere. We come to the assumption that someone drowned, or got thrown from a boat earlier in the day. The boats and chopper are still doing their thing and we see something floating out in the middle of our cove, we all start getting on edge and just know it's who they're lookin for and the current is carrying him straight to us. Turns out it was a plastic grocery bag, but it had us spooked. Turned out that the cove we saw the cop cars at was the site of a drowning. Divers found the guy in a 10' hole in the bottom of the lake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 hunting season up here in Montana we went down by the Weiss River to try somewhere new since my little hunting party had all or opening week off. We get there, set up camp and there's still a few hours before the sun goes down. Everybody wants to stay in camp and BS and have a few beers, but I head out to get a feel for the area. Everything's fine and dandy, seeing a lot of elk and deer sign and think we have a darn good area. Then I find a couple logs that were quite obviously on the business end of a Grizzly's claws recently. My alertness goes up and I start to head back to camp, but I have this nagging feeling. I stop about every 10' and look around. Nothing's there but I can't shake the feeling. I finally push it to the back of my mind and just trudge onwards. Well, as I come around this little mound of dead fall there's this insane racket and movement right in front of me. Well, it was no grizzly, but 4 grouse that had been sitting on the end of the dead fall. The stupid birds got cursed and needless to say when I got back to camp I had to change my pants. lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 I came up to visit my mom and stepdad. They picked me up in Billings, we swung down through Little Bighorn and into Wyoming and camped for the night. Next day we did a quickie through Yellowstone and planned to camp somewhere outside of it and drive back to Helena the next day. They like to camp with nobody around, so we exit the park, and find this little road to go down. We wind around in the trees for ages on this road barely wide enough for a compact car(we're in an F250) and come to this little hill. we follow the curve to go up it, but there's a truck parked in the middle of the road on the hill and it has tree limbs and brush stacked around it.

It's decided that we need to boogie out of the area as a really bad feeling washes over the thee of us. We back down until we can get the truck turned around and get out of there a lot quicker than we got in. Well, on our way out, this little red geo metro like car comes speeding up behind us and stays right on our bumper. Now we're all really on edge. We turn to go back out to the main road, but he follows, never slowing down. We turned the wrong way on the road and we came to the end of the pavement, but it continued in dirt and went down to a ratty mobile home. We pulled tot he side of the road, step dad grabbed his pistol, and the car flew past us, went behind the house, came around the other side to face us and turned his lights off and just sat there.

We turned around and floored it back the right direction and got back on the main road. We went down it a couple more miles before we pulled off on another dirt road and found a place to sleep. We weren't there for 5 minutes and that nervous feeling was still in all three of us, when we saw a flashlight moving back and forth through the woods beyond where we were parked. Once more we got the hell out of the area as fast as we could and ended up just driving through the night back to Helena. We never did find out what it was all about, but we're sure it was either poaching or meth related.
When people ride my bumper, and/or appear to be following me, I just either pull over and let them drive by. Or if there is more than one lane, I take my foot off the accelerator and let gravity slow the car down so they change lanes and pass me. I've been rear ended too many times and there are just too many sickos out there now. I am guessing that the person driving the Geo car lived at that mobile home and just waited in their car before getting out as they probably were scared that you were pulled over and watching them. As for them riding your bumper, lots of people nowadays do that. LOL...they were probably just as scared as you were. Maybe they even tell the story to their friends about this car that drove up to their house at night on a dead end street, in the middle of nowhere, pulled over and watched them!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMII View Post
Maybe the announcer made a mistake?
they might have heard seventh innings <sev-en> which sounds similar to second <sek-en> followed by 8th and 9th -But thats my explaination ..having a creepy story is way cooller
The Following User Says Thank You to Dagget For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure4Life View Post
Big Foots are supposed to smell quite badly. And I mean NASTY.
Urban legend. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It seems to depend on context ... what's going on, whether they feel threatened, and so on.

In my area, the stink is not something constant with them, its something they seem to be able to do at will and sometimes accompanies other activities whether they wish it or not.

Do a google search on primate olfactory communications. The smell I've smelled and the situations I smelled it in seem to be part of a threat / dominance display. I've been near them in other places where there was no smell at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Square Peg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,144 Times in 1,440 Posts

so how often do you hang out with the yeti? every friday swilling down a beer or two?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 10,802 Times in 3,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Peg View Post
Urban legend. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It seems to depend on context ... what's going on, whether they feel threatened, and so on.

In my area, the stink is not something constant with them, its something they seem to be able to do at will and sometimes accompanies other activities whether they wish it or not.

Do a google search on primate olfactory communications. The smell I've smelled and the situations I smelled it in seem to be part of a threat / dominance display. I've been near them in other places where there was no smell at all.
I know the one I encountered smelled pretty bad. But it was in a swamp and the hair was matted and pretty nasty. Smelled like a wet dog rolled in road kill then got into it with a skunk at the dump on a hot august florida day after a rain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,144 Times in 1,440 Posts

im actually surprised at all the people that claim to have seen these creatures...

i also wonder what the number of dope fiends alcoholics as well, bet the numbers are similar.. Now dont get me wrong im sure there are those good people that genuinely think that think they've seen one or perhaps smelled one.... but a picture is worth a thousand words... some matted hair would be nice as well..... perhaps these fellows that 'hang out' where these creatures exist could bring some physical evidence
other wise its just so much malarkey...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Target Shooter

The one you encountered ?
Bath salts really need to become illegal.....
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Deo Vindice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxpatrickxx View Post
The one you encountered ?
Bath salts really need to become illegal.....
People like you is the reason I don't like to talk about it. Now if you have something to add to the discussion please do. If you're just going to troll and be an ******* please STFU.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Target Shooter

Lol you made up Sasquatch story's and call me a troll.... This is creepy story's from the outdoors not "monster quest" where we need to hear a bunch of made up bull**** about a creature who's supposed existence when no body, ****, hair or anything else that would actually back up the evidence has ever been found.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Deo Vindice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxpatrickxx View Post
Lol you made up Sasquatch story's and call me a troll.... This is creepy story's from the outdoors not "monster quest" where we need to hear a bunch of made up bull**** about a creature who's supposed existence when no body, ****, hair or anything else that would actually back up the evidence has ever been found.
FYI there is evidence. DNA found that came back as unknown. Teddy Rooselvelt,told of unknown creatures. Lance Stroud has had more than one encounter. Guess they were on bath salts too? Legends that go back thousands of years across borders and cultures that never interacted with one another. You have a small mind. Are you an ******* by nature or do you practice at it?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM

flame war!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
FYI there is evidence. DNA found that came back as unknown. Teddy Rooselvelt,told of unknown creatures. Lance Stroud has had more than one encounter. Guess they were on bath salts too? Legends that go back thousands of years across borders and cultures that never interacted with one another. You have a small mind. Are you an ******* by nature or do you practice at it?
Lol.... You're in luck ! "Finding Bigfoot" has a marathon on today ! Maybe they'll catch this big out of focus monster and shut me up for good !

And don't call me names because I refuse to belive in something that has no evidence supporting it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxpatrickxx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM

C,mon. Stop fighting. If you dont want to believe the guy then dont read what he has to write.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weirddavid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM

That is nuts. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to talk to the young lady to see if she knew what this guy's problem was. Maybe she cut him off 2+ hours ago on the interstate and he followed her (I've heard of crap like that before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post

__