Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > The Tech Zone
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts
Default Can Google be trusted?

Advertise Here

Thinking long and hard about a Chromebook, I began to ponder how Google can be trusted, and know they do care somewhat about users' privacy, but have gotten into some tussles over privacy issues and bouts with the FCC.

I wonder also how secure this whole cloud computing idea can be. How easy is it to bypass the security on this? Can it do any serious work, like video editing? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pelican For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,417 Times in 3,773 Posts

All of the big internet companies Google, Microsoft, Apple, Yahoo & Facebutt make a large amount of money from the Goooberment charging for the processing of sepenionas (SP).

I would not trust anyone of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,184 Times in 6,890 Posts

bad opsec............
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,239 Times in 5,995 Posts

Run fast and run far.

But yea, from the point of privacy, this "computer" is a bad idea. I mean, who came up with this? Why would it be good? Good for whom?

I am old fashioned, but I think I need my data right here. It's my data. It needs to exist in my room. (Says I while my calendar is online and all my emails are as well.... and you guessed it, on Gmail.) But still, I think rather than to be a user friendly idea, it's one of those things to tell us sharing is good, sharing is safe, sharing is NORMAL.

Just the idea of stripping you of a normal harddrive with your own stuff, it's not a matter of cost for you these days, it's a matter of THEY wanting YOUR data and they came up with a bright way getting it!

What word is cloud really? Even the word in itself causes me paranoia. It's like they want us to believe our data is an abstraction, when in fact it is on THEIR servers, and to which they have full access.

Caught me on a bad day here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 13,947 Times in 4,363 Posts

The cloud is another form of dependence on big infrastructure. If the grid is down, you will not have access to cloud data and applications. In my opinion it's best to keep your computing as localized as possible.

If you are looking at an alternative OS to Windows and OSX have a look at open sourced Debian linux.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Meet Skynet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
I say I say

A while back there was an article on the merger/cooperation of google and like 17 other companies. I place zero faith and trust in them all. As for cloud, it just sounds like keeping your money in someone else's bank account. It may be fine for contact info and some general documents but on the whole I wouldn't put anything out there I would want to keep the world from seeing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Hiker

About a year ago I gave google the boot. Changed my default search engine to duckduckgo.com (they dont track your searches) and moved all my email to mail.com. Is it as convenient as google? No. Is it more private than google? Maybe. But I do think that the search engine and mail provider I use are smaller and are not as much in bed with the .gov.

The funny thing is that I am as squeaky clean as they come and have nothing to hide. I guess I really just dont trust google.

V.
The Following User Says Thank You to voland For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
The cloud is another form of dependence on big infrastructure. If the grid is down, you will not have access to cloud data and applications. In my opinion it's best to keep your computing as localized as possible.

If you are looking at an alternative OS to Windows and OSX have a look at open sourced Debian linux.

Been thinking about ditching this Mac and getting an ultrabook with no OS and putting Fedora on it....
Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by voland View Post
About a year ago I gave google the boot. Changed my default search engine to duckduckgo.com (they dont track your searches) and moved all my email to mail.com. Is it as convenient as google? No. Is it more private than google? Maybe. But I do think that the search engine and mail provider I use are smaller and are not as much in bed with the .gov.

The funny thing is that I am as squeaky clean as they come and have nothing to hide. I guess I really just dont trust google.

V.
Startpage over here.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachook View Post
Been thinking about ditching this Mac and getting an ultrabook with no OS and putting Fedora on it....
Yes pretty much what I plan on doing when it's time to upgrade. I want to be done with Apple unless work requires it.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I loved this form

Quote:
Quote:
Yes pretty much what I plan on doing when it's time to upgrade. I want to be done with Apple unless work requires it.
This was a gift, but after the Samsung debacle, same here. Why Debian?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Quote:
This was a gift, but after the Samsung debacle, same here. Why Debian?
It's what I've been exposed to, I will certainly check out Fedora.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Thinking long and hard about a Chromebook, I began to ponder how Google can be trusted, and know they do care somewhat about users' privacy, but have gotten into some tussles over privacy issues and bouts with the FCC.

I wonder also how secure this whole cloud computing idea can be. How easy is it to bypass the security on this? Can it do any serious work, like video editing? Thanks.
No giant corporation can be completely trusted.

There's no problem with the hardware in a Chromebook, but I would not use any operating system that wasn't completely open source. So, I might own a Chromebook, but I would quickly put a Linux or BSD operating system on it.

Cloud storage is as secure as you make it. Cloud just means a computer somewhere else. If you encrypt your stuff on your machine before uploading it to the cloud, then anyone else who grabs it will have a pile of useless garbage, because they can't decrypt it.

Chromebooks are not powerful enough for most intensive video editing tasks, but I don't know exactly what you have in mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedrrracer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
I loved this form

Quote:
It's what I've been exposed to, I will certainly check out Fedora.
The latest one is real slick and the GUI is gorgeous.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by voland View Post

V.
http://www.mail.com/US-en/company/terms/
Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,514 Times in 943 Posts

I'm convinced all store bought parts are corrupt...as far as i'm concerned, they are all pre-configed from the factory to route info for questionable uses...be it government spying civvies or gathering intel on businesses.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I loved this form

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_BS_88 View Post
I'm convinced all store bought parts are corrupt...as far as i'm concerned, they are all pre-configed from the factory to route info for questionable uses...be it government spying civvies or gathering intel on businesses.
Always wondered if they did....... IBM was once caught offering to fund a company operation.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 PM

If you need any help being turned off of Google, these will help. Ironically, they are hosted on a Google's own youtube... HA!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 AM

If you don't want to keep data locally on a portable computer because it might be stolen a "private cloud" via a VPN (Virtual Private Network) would be best the only weak link being the ISP (Internet service provider).
Granted VPN routers are expensive & you'd need a server or NAS device.
Not sure what type of video editing you're doing but the more advanced stuff usually requires more powerful hardware.
If you can process data locally the response time will be better, even you have really fast Internet.