Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Boating and Fishing
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,687 Times in 1,602 Posts
Default Tell me about: Spear Guns

Advertise Here

I've just taken out the 'gidgee' for the first time since i was 12 years old (i'm mid 30s now) it was so much fun!

I've never really got into rod fishing as i grew up inland and no-one i knew fished. Chucking that spring loaded spear at fish is more up my alley, its more like hunting and i enjoy the whole process.

So with that in mind i've become interested in the idea of a spear gun. I know nothing about them and need somewhere to start.

Are spear guns only for 'big' fish? Can you get smaller ones?

What are some reputable brands?

Any tips or advice for a beginner?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Hunter

Well I don't see the point of a spear gun when you can just use a spear. Are you planning on going underwater to fish? Also do you want to be able to prep for all the gas it takes to shoot it?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Winter is coming.

The spearguns i have in mind work with jelly rubber. I didnt know you could get gas powered ones.

Yes, freediving from shore.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Question your government

For a smaller or less expensive and simpler alternatives, check out Hawian slings and pole spears, with a trident tip. You will be limited to smaller fish (succesfully). I have speared countless hogfish, flounder, small grouper and snapper with one.
I like a pole spear because i can use it as a tickle stick during lobster season as well. I keep one on the boat and take off the band and store it in the console to keep it out of the sun when not in use. The sun will kill the rubber on spears and guns. I reccomend keeping a spare(s) as well. These are good options for snorkeling or on the huka rig and I paint the spear end flourecent orange and hold it in the air for a visual for boaters and if I happen to be with someone else while Im on the surface looking down for targets.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1142 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaWhiskyBravo View Post

Are spear guns only for 'big' fish? Can you get smaller ones?

What are some reputable brands?

Any tips or advice for a beginner?
Sorry about the necro-thread...I just joined

I grew up spearing fish with a Hawaiian sling (in Hawaii, so I guess it makes sense), and always have one around. However, I have two RA Tuna ( http://www.bluetunaspearfishing.com/..._railguns.html ) which are my go-to guns.

Guns can be for small reef fish or big ocean-going fish. It is often thought to be difficult to try and get a single gun that does both. One of my RA Tuna is a 120 cm, which is kinda ok for some reef stuff, and kinda OK for some blue water stuff. Not ideal for either, definitely, but workable. The other is a 140, which is much more a blue water gun.

Rob Allen is a great mfr of quality guns, but there are many fine guns. Riffe, Hamilton, etc, etc. You don't need bleeding edge tech (a light, stiff carbon gun makes maneuvering very nice, but a heavy wood gun has very little felt recoil, etc), so manufacturing isn't exactly rocket science. Lotta guys make DIY guns, so consider that strongly if you have the means.

It's not a hard learning curve, but it does take a while to really nail it because of the number of options. You need to kinda nail down your variables (what kinda fish / where / etc) and then, from the list of gun types that will work well in that environment, find the gun & equipment that's best for you.

Best advice for a beginner is to go out as much as possible with experienced spearos in all the different disciplines. You want to go with freedivers and guys on scuba, guys off boats and guys walking in from the shore. The more exposure you get the better choices you'll be able to make later, in all things -- safety, where to go, what equipment to get, what not to do, etc.

Also, like guns, watch what's behind what you're aiming at. Of course from the safety angle, but spear tips are not the most durable things, especially when they go flying into a rock. If you want your awesome tip to last, try to engineer your shot so the background is soft sand or empty water (or, best of all, other fish). Your hunting skills will improve exponentially early on, esp when you go out with experienced guys.

You can even incorporate spearing in your vacations. Take the wife to Hawaii, and send her shopping for one morning while you go as part of a spearfishing charter. Come back, and you both have a romantic dinner together. Great day for everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedrrracer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanks speedy, old thread but i'm still keen to find out more. The weather is starting to warm up now on the south coast of Western Australia so i'll be heading out more soon. I have what you call a pole spear with a jelly rubber sling on the end. We call them Gidgees down under. I've seen what looks like an underwater slingbow online, they have a short tube with a handle and the thin spear is seperate. Is that a hawaiian sling? The term seems to be used interchangably. The dont sell them down here, but they look easy enough to make.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Prepared

You're right on all counts!

A true Hawaiian sling has the shortish handle, often wood, with the tubing and the spear is a separate piece. The Hawaiian slings I've used typically generate more speed than the pole spears I've used, because they have a better grip.

And yes, the terms are often interchanged. They don't sell them in WA? That's wild -- that place is heaven for watersports...I figured they'd have it all and then some
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 AM

check out this site lots of good info.
http://www.spearboard.com/
later
alan

Last edited by hglucky13; 11-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,092 Times in 1,582 Posts

I used a Hornet, back in the day.
Just their basic model. Would take small or large fish.

http://www.wilderness.net.au/shop/spear-guns/

You can get them in a lot of Aussie dive shops or online.

Great for home defence too.

One rule: Always unload the spear before you leave the water, or as soon as you get back to water shallow enough to stand up in.
Always unload it in the water before you get back in the boat.

Don't load it until you're in shallow water, or about to throw yourself over the side of the boat.

Take a dive knife with you, in case you have to cut the spear line for some reason.
Don't strap the dive knife around your ankle. If your leg gets tangled in something, the knife might be unreachable also.
Around the upper arm is good if it's a small knife, otherwise a waist belt and a thigh strap.

Been a few years since I went spearfishing. Had to use the dive knife once to cut a fishing line.
Two of us were spearfishing early morning near rocks in the open water.
Guy came along, threw in his line, (****head) the hook went straight into my wetsuit and the stupid bugger started to pull the line back. Like he didn't even realise he'd caught a swimmer.
I cut the line swam ashore and went and had a chat with him.
He left.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 7,393 Times in 2,510 Posts

Tip: After rinsing the salt from the spear gun, store your spear gun bands in a plastic ziplock type bag in the refrigerator. They last much, much longer if you do this.

You can also extend the band's life if you rub them down with 100% silicone grease before storing them away. Just enough to change the sheen on the rubber. It helps to keep the rubber from drying out. You can get a little jar of this from a dive shop. It's used to lubricate the o-rings in a scuba regulator.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,092 Times in 1,582 Posts

I expect you can use it to lubricate other things as well.
Just saying.