Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Communications
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hiker

Default Yaesu VX-2R (used) vs. VX-3R?

Advertise Here

Anyone have first-hand experience with both of these radios?

I'm looking to replace an emergency weather radio in my BOB with a radio that is smaller and duplicates it's capabilities to listen to FM broadcast and NOAA weather with the added HT/HAM capabilities (I have my license). It will be mostly used to listen/scan during an event like Sandy and/or SHTF.

The VX-2R's are discontinued so there is a chance of picking up a good used one for not much money; there is one on ebay now for $150 with some accessories. I have read a few reviews stating that if you already own a VX-2R, don't bother going to the 3R. Supported by VX-2 Commander. However, there is no AA battery option.

The benefit of the VX-3R in my mind is the ability to use a AA battery tray (optional). It also appears to have better firmware for naming memory banks, is supported by CHIRP, and I believe that the data cable I have for my VX-7R will work with a VX-3R. But there are few used options that I'm finding so I am looking at new units (~$200).

The BaoFeng UV-3R is also a contender but I've been burned by Chinese made products before and I'm having a hard time entrusting my safety to a Chinese radio.

Thanks for any comments!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,401 Posts

Have a VX-1, VX-2, VX-3, and UV-3R.

The UV-3R is for use on the water or in case of really bad weather conditions. $40, don't care if it falls out of the boat as much as I would one of the Yaesus.

$150 is too much for a VX-2 unless it is NIB and with accy. Good radio but they didn't hold their value as well when the 3 came out. The 2 is a little, very little but a little, smaller than the 3. The 3 has more memory channels and higher power. Neither of them make a good scanner. They are usable as a scanner if you don't mind a slow scan rate or the complicated lock out for busy channels.

I have not had a problem with the UV-3R and have used it in monsoon conditions. Audio reports are good. You will need an earphone in noisy areas but that goes for the Yaesu radios as well.

If I was going to buy just one of those listed knowing what I know now it would be the VX-3. However if I had the money I would get both a VX-3 and a UV-3.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
AN, DE & MCA

Thanked 4,441 Times in 1,224 Posts

For that price you can get the horse FT-60R new. Does everything you want and you can get a AA battery adapter for back up.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Hiker

Maybe I made a mistake but I pulled the trigger on the used VX-2R. It was nearly NIB with all paperwork, a few accessories, software and programming cable. The OEM antenna is junk but most of the rubber ducks are and knew that ahead of time. With a Smiley telescoping wire whip, performance jumped significantly!

Compared to the newer Yaesu VX-3R, output is the same (1.5w VHF/1w UHF; 3w/2w if plugged in). The BaoFeng does have more output.

Probably mostly illogical but I wanted to stay with Yaesu since the memories, menus, buttons, etc. are similar across radios. I didn't want to learn a new manufacturer. I'll continue to play with it and see how well it works. It's TINY, so it definitely meets my criteria for something small. I may keep my eyes open for a used FT-60R just in case.

Thanks for the comments!