Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 2,082 Posts

Advertise Here

Have you looked into any of the belts they sell for men who carry concealed guns? They are very substantial to carry a firearm in a stable, secure position. Often they are double-thickness. I'm sure they're not cheap.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,959 Times in 2,932 Posts

I have been wearing a fabric "web" money belt with a loop "buckle" for years. It is a bit frayed, but it still works. There are better versions too with much stronger web fabric and d-ring type "buckles" some of them even have a type of d-ring you can use for rappelling in a pinch.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddgunner View Post
My dad is a saddle maker. My Guess is that it is make out of English Bridal Leather. I made one for myself about 15 years ago. The thing about it is, it gets better with age.
I said my belt was made of saddle leather. That probably isn't right.
On the web, they refer it to harness leather. It is heavy leather, but smooth on both sides.
I looked on the web, but most are made of nylon now.
There are some 1" collars made of harness leather.
I'm sure they are still out there, just might be hard to find.
They are much cheaper than belts.
They are mainly used for show cattle.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM
guns-a-blazin'

As most people will undoubtedly lose weight after TSHTF just keep a large ammount of wire ties (cable ties) and just put one between 2 loops and tighten. This is of course after you've tightened your current belt to the point that you've run out of holes. Better than nothing!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 11,033 Times in 5,271 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to put more holes in the belt?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Target Shooter

Default Money Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
What I'm looking for is a durable money belt. I prefer a web version, but all of them I've bought have a plastic buckle that lasts one season at best.
Found it. Patagonia makes a money belt called a travel belt. Web belt with metal buckle. Cost $25 - $30. Well made and appears to be durable, could probably grab someone by the belt and lift them up. Can easily stash a thousand dollars and a copy of a passport in the hidden area which is a zippered compartment that runs about 12 inches. I would imagine in a long term SHTF situation the hidden area would wear out but probably not before paper money was worthless. The belt itself should last quite some time.

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-trav...t-narwhal-grey

I have previously used the Eagle Creek money belts prior to finding this one. The Patagonia is a similar design but wider, heavier duty and a metal buckle. If you like the Eagle Creek style but were looking for something more durable the Patagonia is your choice. Note that when searching for a link to post here it appears that Patagonia may not be making this belt anymore so if you find one online buy it now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KittySlayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboRoberts View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to put more holes in the belt?
Aren't large web belts good for basically any size, or am I looking at them wrong?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM
All bark, no bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Loves Bologna View Post
I just recently purchased a Blackhawk! instructor's gun belt but have not yet put it through the paces. From what I've read, it's second-to-none for quality and strength.

Anyone else have this belt?
I've worn Blackhawk Instructors belts every day for years. I have never had one wear out.
The Following User Says Thank You to sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,817 Times in 32,492 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
Found it. Patagonia makes a money belt called a travel belt. Web belt with metal buckle. Cost $25 - $30. Well made and appears to be durable, could probably grab someone by the belt and lift them up. Can easily stash a thousand dollars and a copy of a passport in the hidden area which is a zippered compartment that runs about 12 inches. I would imagine in a long term SHTF situation the hidden area would wear out but probably not before paper money was worthless. The belt itself should last quite some time.

I have previously used the Eagle Creek money belts prior to finding this one. The Patagonia is a similar design but wider, heavier duty and a metal buckle. If you like the Eagle Creek style but were looking for something more durable the Patagonia is your choice. Note that when searching for a link to post here it appears that Patagonia may not be making this belt anymore so if you find one online buy it now.
Eagle Creek is the one I used to use that would only last a season before the plastic buckle would break. This one looks like the perfect belt. I think I'm going to browse ebay and see if I can come up with one. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit to add: I just ordered that one from zappos. Apparently they had it in stock because it shipped already. I'll know in a few days if it's got a metal buckle for sure. Thanks again.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.

Last edited by MikeK; 09-28-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Toilet Paper Hunter

Thanked 2,084 Times in 559 Posts

English bridle leather refers to how it is tanned. It is a different process than regular tanning. Harness leathers are generally made from english bridle leather. It is softer and stronger than conventional tanning, and far more durable. Also much more expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to oddgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddgunner View Post
English bridle leather refers to how it is tanned. It is a different process than regular tanning. Harness leathers are generally made from english bridle leather. It is softer and stronger than conventional tanning, and far more durable. Also much more expensive.
Thanks for the information.
I have made heavy leather belts before. I used to tool a lot.
None of my belts I made have held up near as well as my cow collar belt.
You and/or your dad need to make up belts to sell.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:43 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,959 Times in 2,932 Posts

Quote:

The one I have is by Eagle Creek. Got it at REI many years ago.

The web belts we had in the military were supposed to be non-conductive so you could use them to pull someone off a hot wire.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
I think it would be great to have my preps so completed that a belt was my largest worry.

The best belt I've ever worn is a gun belt from http://crossbreedholsters.com/ It's thicker, stiffer than most belts which means it holds attached items better, lasts longer, and just generally isn't going to wear out as much.

I spent a considerable amount of time researching such belts before I bought mine from above. Other offerings from other places didn't seem to measure up as well. It's not a cheap belt, but often you get what you pay for.

FWIW: Those belts have an option such that the back of the belt has a velcro strip along the entire length; they also sell the associated clips for holsters which will tuck between pants and belt, and then grip the belt (via the velcro) from behind.

It's about as good as you can get for CC in terms of hiding the belt clips.
I too think the Crossbreed are great! I have bought their holster's and belt and am totally pleased with their product and service.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 AM

I live in horse country so I tend to buy belts made in tack shops out of harness leather. I have yet to wear out or break a leather belt made at a tack shop. Got about 10 yrs out of the last one before I "outgrew" it.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog1 View Post
...harness leather ...I "outgrew" it.
So you're saying that harness leather "shrinks"?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 11,033 Times in 5,271 Posts

Quote:
So you're saying that harness leather "shrinks"?
Just like denim!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,521 Posts

Inch or inch and a quarter wide nylon web strap and two chromed steel D-rings as the buckle. Lasts forever and in a pinch can be used as a rifle sling, a tourniquet, a rescue belt, and a tow strap.

Live long and prosper!

rich
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Preparanoid

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...arent=142&pg=1

This is the original "instructor" belt and is rated at 6-8k lbs. I have read stories of guys taking it off their pants and using it to tow a vehicle, it's that strong. It is also designed to carry a holster and the buckle can be clipped into with a carabiner so it can be used to climb with in a pinch. They also make a money belt version, so you may want to check that out MikeK.

If you want a leather looking belt, I have used the Liger gun belt for many years with great success.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...n-Belt-c16.htm

I wear suit and tie 6 days a week and this belt looks sharp and gets the job done with my dress clothes. When I am dressed down I used the Wilderness belt. The Liger belt looks like leather but does not lose its shape like leather does. I have had mine for close to 6 years and it is perfectly straight, no twisting or warping like leather.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzkill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,817 Times in 32,492 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill View Post
http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...arent=142&pg=1

This is the original "instructor" belt and is rated at 6-8k lbs. I have read stories of guys taking it off their pants and using it to tow a vehicle, it's that strong. It is also designed to carry a holster and the buckle can be clipped into with a carabiner so it can be used to climb with in a pinch. They also make a money belt version, so you may want to check that out MikeK.
That's a sturdy looking belt too. I bookmarked it in case the one I ordered isn't what I need. I especially like that you can choose between a metal buckle or delrin rings (for airports). Delrin is tough, unlike the brittle polycarbonate that the other money belt makers use.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM

+ 1 for bullhidebelts.com
I bought a belt from them($65) a few months ago after my last department store belt fell apart. Bullhide belts are about a quarter inch thick of all leather. So thick that the clip on my uncle mikes holster has to go under the belt instead of over like it used to with other crap belts. All of their belts are custom made to order, unless you pick up one of the unsold specials which are discounted. You can choose the color, style, buckle, width, and number and spacing of the holes. I highly recommend their belts. I don't think I will ever wear it out. Follow their sizing guide as well.