Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 AM

Default EMP and solar panel

Advertise Here

Can anyone have idea in how to protect a photovoltaic panel from EMP?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 10,911 Times in 5,212 Posts

There's no need to.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 AM

can you explain?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Bravo Zulu

If it's just the solar panel, there's no circuit. How do you protect a piece of wire from an EMP?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 AM

yes, but.. the panels are connected to the batteries
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Bravo Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenOfDoom View Post
yes, but.. the panels are connected to the batteries
Put the entire solar power system in a Faraday cage.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM

mmmm
now i'm thinking put all my cabin in a copper cage...
The Following User Says Thank You to ChildrenOfDoom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Bravo Zulu

Yep, that's it. Just make sure you've got it set to block the correct wavelengths.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM

Do you know some book/manual about practical shielding?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 8,459 Times in 2,933 Posts

Aren't most emps too weak to affect a single house and solar panel.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM

for what i know, EMP can fry almost all circuit.

(I'm talking about a emp attack)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,657 Times in 4,064 Posts

Emp from what I am told do not effect older tube type radios , it is the solid state circutry and LEDs diodes and a list of other electronic componants sensitive to hi voltage .
Diodes in the solar pannel would fryalong wit chrge controlers and any thing electronicly connected .
Do you remember early computers and them being so sensitive to static shock and having to wear those wrist straps grounded to the computer?
though they have figured ways around that problem LEDs are still subject to being burned out from a static charge from a carpet.
It is extreemly hi voltage and verry low amperage when you jump a spark from static electricity .
I am very close to building a trailor for my solar pannels for several reasons .
1. EMP , If I sense that or we get warning that an attack is emenent I could concievibly wheel the unit in my steel barn and thus provide a margin of protection for them.
2. consolidate the equipment and batteries for ease of service,inside out of the sun .
3. hide things in the event that there are folks roaming around looking for resources .
4. A means of hauling it with me, if I have to move in an instant.
5. A place to store cables and related equipment metering and so forth.
6 . I like to build things .
7. I will likely add a wind mill and gas or diesel generator to the unit as a whole.
8. I can put an expanded metal cage, or a sheet metal skin over frame work over the whole thing during transportation,in the event of an EMP during that time .

Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Target Shooter

I'm going to need to come up with a standard, stop the EMP nonsense response, so I can just copy and paste it into each one of these ridiculous threads.

To produce an EMP that would effect a decent portion of the United States, you would need a fusion type nuclear warhead with a yield in the megatons. There are only a few countries that are capable of engineering such a warhead then delivering that warhead to the center of the country, and detonating it 50 miles in the air. I'm talking super powers, not rouge nations or terrorist cells.

After you consider that, you have to ask yourself, why would an enemy go to such lengths when that same warhead would cause more damage used conventionally. Why would a country go to all that trouble when the secondary effects of an EMP are speculative and unknown? They won't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Chuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Consider that a smaller terroist country may not be able to take out the entire country with an air burst emp attack, exploded in the center of our nation. But can stand offshore with a ship launched missle, pointed inland, and take out whole regions closer to the coastline. Which happens to be where our largest population centers are. With a few exceptions.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Testes, Testes, 1,2,3????

Thanked 1,922 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
I'm going to need to come up with a standard, stop the EMP nonsense response, so I can just copy and paste it into each one of these ridiculous threads.

Please start with your qualifications as to EMP technology. i want to learn more from a QUALIFIED expert on this subject.

To produce an EMP that would effect a decent portion of the United States, you would need a fusion type nuclear warhead with a yield in the megatons. There are only a few countries that are capable of engineering such a warhead then delivering that warhead to the center of the country, and detonating it 50 miles in the air. I'm talking super powers, not rouge nations or terrorist cells.

After you consider that, you have to ask yourself, why would an enemy go to such lengths when that same warhead would cause more damage used conventionally. Why would a country go to all that trouble when the secondary effects of an EMP are speculative and unknown? They won't.
Unknown? terrorism works because of FEAR, an EMP in the "breadbasket" of this country WILL do more damage than a bomb. Crops unable to be reaped, damages done to sensitive facilities in the center of the country, lack of communication across the heartland, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lylac_Krazy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM

If a nuke explode in the space there is no fallout but a very very large emp....
In my thought is the more probable way of attack...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChildrenOfDoom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,657 Times in 4,064 Posts

Didn't china pop an EMP last year in the pacific ?
It seems to me a more practicle weapon to some degree if you want a country but not contaminate it beyond use.
The EMP would effectively disrupt all communications ,and If you have a troop already inside ready to take over infrstructure the job's half done . thanks to Hillery Clinton. FTZ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylac_Krazy View Post
Unknown? terrorism works because of FEAR, an EMP in the "breadbasket" of this country WILL do more damage than a bomb. Crops unable to be reaped, damages done to sensitive facilities in the center of the country, lack of communication across the heartland, etc.
Terrorists do not have the resources or technical expertise to set off a hydrogen bomb 50 miles high. Some suitcase dirty bomb detonated at ground level would not create an EMP big enough to take out a small town, let alone the whole country. We're not talking about something simple like flying planes into buildings. We're talking about something only a world superpower could pull off.

Maybe you should try to figure more things out on you own instead of just looking for answers from "experts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Didn't china pop an EMP last year in the pacific ?
It seems to me a more practicle weapon to some degree if you want a country but not contaminate it beyond use.
The EMP would effectively disrupt all communications ,and If you have a troop already inside ready to take over infrstructure the job's half done . thanks to Hillery Clinton. FTZ.
Do you really think China could just set off an EMP, then invade our country without a nuclear response from us? The only way an EMP is getting set off above the United States is in all out thermonuclear war.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Bravo Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylac_Krazy View Post
an EMP in the "breadbasket" of this country WILL do more damage than a bomb. Crops unable to be reaped, damages done to sensitive facilities in the center of the country, lack of communication across the heartland, etc.
You make it sound like all that damage is irreversible.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post

Someone needs to lookup the Carrington event. There's a very large fusion device active 24/7 that occasionally takes aim at Earth. It doesn't care who's on what side.

A solar panel is a giant semi-conductor specifically designed to absorb radiation. EMP could do a number on it depending on the source, power, etc, etc. While anything short of an X30 solar event is unlikely to cause issues, Faraday cages never hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daelith For This Useful Post: