Survivalist Forum banner

6 Dollar Canadian AR15 Mags?

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Camera Bob 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Almost all the Sportsman Guide reviews were good. But I just can not bring myself to do plastic AR mags.

#4 ·
I bought 3, to see if I liked them, I tried them for a few months, without having any issues, I bought 10, tried them all, dropped them, tossed them down the hall, tossed them onto the lawn, both empty and filled, no issues, I've shot 1,500+ rounds with them without an issue, the only thing I found you should know is their "fins" are thick which means where I could store 2 GI mags in a pocket with these only 1 will fit

#5 ·
They Used To Work Great

But...that was 25 years ago and used on a different rifle. Be prepared to have tight mags with a required file or sanding job to get them to fit the mag well. But..then you can custom size your mags to fit your possibly sloppy AR15 magazine well.

We also had bad experiences with the feed lips spreading over time if the mag was left loaded for a month or soos. Rotate your mags. The good news was that if they are not too large, they run exceptionally well. Anti tilt follower.

Would I try more? Yes. The notion of slightly sanding or filing away a little bit of fairly soft black material is no big deal for me....if in result the mag runs right and drops free. The price seems very good. If they work I would buy more. HB of CJ (old coot)

#11 ·
Probably the Thermold mags, I believe they are of Canadian Origin.

You asked if anyone else wants the other 9, if you are giving them away I will gladly pay shipping for them.

I dont mind practicing with suspect mags as when I do incur a problem, it allows me to perform malfunction drills and practice clearing jams.

I have even taken some older GI aluminum mags that were all beaten up and bent lips and broken springs to cause problems to practice those same drills.

#14 ·
Those "plastic" mags were the magazines that were initially issued when we adopted the C7 rifle back in the late 80's. I served then in the Canadian Army (infantry) and can attest through personal experience that the mags are POS. We switched to metal magazines in the early-mid 90's. The "plastic mags" suffered from cracked lips exactly like in Camera Bob's photo especially in subzero temperatures and didn't seem to matter whether they were new or used. Buyer beware!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.