Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by works4dhs View Post
so are they affiliated with Wise?

thx Legacy for standing up and responding, makes you guys sound more legit.
Legacy Food Storage has no affiliation with Wise Foods. We do have many resellers that once carried Wise Foods but have subsequently switched over to our product lines. But other than that, there is no relationship between our two companies.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,175 Times in 3,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFoodStorage View Post
Hey Felicia, very good questions, here are some answers to them.

First off, we like how this one entrée was singled out to help you to illustrate a point without knowing the full story about it. We agree that it isn’t “hearty” enough and the sodium level was too high on this product, which is why this entrée is used less frequently in our packages than any other of our meals. If you look into our packages, Hearty Stew servings are less than the other options and we have discontinued production of it because we have created newer meals that provide more calories and better nutrition. We are nearing the end of our supply of this meal, and our new meals, including a complete line of certified GMO free food, will be provided in the next 6-8 weeks. We agree that this meal needed to be changed and it is on its’ way out.

As a side note, our company gives the option to customize any bucket of food to any customer, something that is unique in this industry. If there are meals that you don’t like or think are not worth having in your emergency food supply, contact one of our resellers and tell them the combination of meals that you want in your bucket and they will make it for you at no additional cost. This lets you control what meals come to you and you can cherry pick the best ones!

As for sodium levels in emergency food storage, food storage companies will have a little bit higher sodium in their food than “healthy, everyday food” for a couple of reasons. Sodium is a natural preservative and helps maintain flavors and the food itself. More important than the preservative nature though is the need for sodium in the body, particularly during a crisis or emergency. Most companies would liken a disaster to a major athletic competition in the sense that there is an abnormal amount of stress and physical exertion placed upon your body. One of the reasons that “Gatorade” is so helpful to athletes is it helps them to replace the electrolytes that are lost and a major portion of that is replenishing sodium. If you are too low in sodium, confusion, lethargy, fatigue, irritability, muscle cramping and weakness are the typical effects. Having enough sodium in your system is critical for muscle contraction and nerve impulses, including maintaining a normal heart rhythm. Sodium will help your body to maintain water, which will be very beneficial during a disaster when clean water may be scarce or harder to come by. So some sodium levels in emergency food may seem a little bit higher (even though they are lower than your average junk food meal that consists of pizza, burgers/fries, subway sandwiches, etc.), they are designed that way for a very important reason, keeping your family alive!

True, just having those certifications doesn’t necessarily mean that a factory is perfect, but we do have a 20-year track record without any incidents that speaks well for our company. We use time tested and proven food production methods, and have very rigorous testing and controls in place to make sure that all of our food is handled properly. We source our products strictly from well-known and highly reputable food producers in the USA to ensure that we have the best ingredients available.

We don’t agree with your statement saying that our USDA certifications “means Jack****”, but we should agree to disagree on your position. If you are comfortable buying your food and emergency food from a non-USDA certified plant, by all means go for it. We don’t feel like it is worth the risk of purchasing product from places like that and would never subject our customers, families, friends, or anyone to a subpar standard. For what it is worth, the standards set forth by the USDA are among the strictest, if not the highest, in the world and we are proud to be certified by them and will continue to maintain compliance with every rule they set forth for food production and handling.

This was just an invite for people to get in touch with us directly, IF they wanted to. Some people may want to get on the phone and speak to someone directly to ask questions, and we can set that up in much more effectively in a PM than in an open forum. We are happy to discuss everything in the forum publicly, as evident by this thread that is going on.

We appreciate the feedback that we get from both customers and non-customers on our products, since that feedback is the impetus for us to make changes and introduce better products. In an effort to be the best company in food storage, we have made many upgrades to our products and will continue to do so. The idea for us to create our gluten free line and a GMO free line of food came from the feedback of many different customers and groups of people like those in these discussion boards, so we highly appreciate your thoughts and help. So please, keep that feedback coming and help us to get better.

Thanks again,

Legacy Food Storage
LegacyFoodStorage,

The "Hearty Stew" was singled out because I am a "VERY VERY VERY PICKY" eater. I do not eat any oriental foods so the Teriyaki and Pasta was out, I do not eat milk products so the Spicy Corn Chowder Soup Mix and Creamy Potato Soup Mix and Pasta Alfredo and Stroganoff were all out, so I picked the "Hearty Stew".

So after you pointed out and asked why I picked the "Hearty Stew", I went back and looked at the items. The only 2 items I would consider eating are the "Hearty Stew" and the "Classic Chili Mix".

Upon inspection the "Classic Chili Mix" has only 150 calories and 880 mg of sodium. Again to few calories and the high sodium.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Quote:
Legacy Food Storage has no affiliation with Wise Foods. We do have many resellers that once carried Wise Foods but have subsequently switched over to our product lines. But other than that, there is no relationship between our two companies.

I think people get that impression because your domain registration.
Registrant:
Wise Food Insurance, LLC
PO Box 2070
Salt Lake City, Utah 84110
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: BUYEMERGENCYFOODS.COM
Created on: 05-May-11
Expires on: 05-May-18
Last Updated on: 05-Mar-12
Administrative Contact:
Master, Web [email protected]
PO Box 2070
United States
+1.8016561273 Fax -- +1.8016561274
The Following User Says Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

The reason I stated the the FDA & USDA approved facilities did not mean jack **** is that I worked in a drug factory where we made Pharmaceuticals.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
I think people get that impression because your domain registration.
Registrant:
Wise Food Insurance, LLC
PO Box 2070
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: BUYEMERGENCYFOODS.COM
Created on: 05-May-11
Expires on: 05-May-18
Last Updated on: 05-Mar-12
Administrative Contact:
Master, Web [email protected]
PO Box 2070
United States
+1.8016561273 Fax -- +1.8016561274
We are glad that you found this and pointed this out and now understand where the misunderstanding comes from. Legacy Food Storage and buyemergencyfoods.com are two separate entities. We, Legacy Food Storage, saw that there were comments being made about our brand/product in this discussion and wanted to weigh in and make sure we were appropriately represented. Buyemergencyfoods.com is one of our resellers/distributors. The very first post of this thread had a link to their website, which would make people confused. We hope this clears up the confusion as to who we are and who buyemergencyfoods.com is.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Quote:
We are glad that you found this and pointed this out and now understand where the misunderstanding comes from. Legacy Food Storage and buyemergencyfoods.com are two separate entities. We, Legacy Food Storage, saw that there were comments being made about our brand/product in this discussion and wanted to weigh in and make sure we were appropriately represented. Buyemergencyfoods.com is one of our resellers/distributors. The very first post of this thread had a link to their website, which would make people confused. We hope this clears up the confusion as to who we are and who buyemergencyfoods.com is.
I am glad I could help.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zja08 View Post
Has anyone ever seen or used Legacy foods? I have found them, they claim to be cheaper than the others and have a higher calorie count. I guess I'm just a little sceptical about buying from a company I have not heard of or is not reputable.

Here is the company I found selling it http://www.buyemergencyfoods.com/sho...d-storage.html

Thanks
Just got hoodwinked into purchasing what Wise Food Storage calls a 60 serving meat bucket. 'Calls' as they claim 1.4 oz dried is a two person serving. Also tried two of their products the last couple of days. Disgusting to say the least! 'Southwestern Chicken' as prepared by directions was worth one small taste and then the garbage. Would not even give it to the dog. 'Beef stroganoff' was as bad, and when prepared kind of looked like something my dog did. Watery, chunks of small bones, gristle, terrible taste. Tried it with some cooked rice and still could not eat it.
Called the very aggressive saleskid Tomas, and told him I wanted to return the 'bucket'. He was quick to point out that was not their 'policy', and that the meat was designed to be eaten with other freeze dried products to be 'edible'. Like mixing a gallon of wine with a gallon of sewage and expecting to have anything but sewage!!
So this is a company with a terrible product, misleading amounts claimed at best, aggresive sales, and a refusal to stand behind their product. I was sucked in by the 'free sample' ad on line, which required a phone number and calls daily from their saleskid. Claim to be 'Mormon' connected which I doubt. SO BEWARE. Stick with Mountain House which I have been using for decades. Even surplus MRE's are superior.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phinneus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Legacy Food Storage should work hard to distance themselves from Wise as my comment a few moments ago might help you consider that.[/COLOR][/B]Just got hoodwinked into purchasing what Wise Food Storage calls a 60 serving meat bucket. 'Calls' as they claim 1.4 oz dried is a two person serving. Also tried two of their products the last couple of days. Disgusting to say the least! 'Southwestern Chicken' as prepared by directions was worth one small taste and then the garbage. Would not even give it to the dog. 'Beef stroganoff' was as bad, and when prepared kind of looked like something my dog did. Watery, chunks of small bones, gristle, terrible taste. Tried it with some cooked rice and still could not eat it.
Called the very aggressive saleskid Tomas, and told him I wanted to return the 'bucket'. He was quick to point out that was not their 'policy', and that the meat was designed to be eaten with other freeze dried products to be 'edible'. Like mixing a gallon of wine with a gallon of sewage and expecting to have anything but sewage!!
So this is a company with a terrible product, misleading amounts claimed at best, aggresive sales, and a refusal to stand behind their product. I was sucked in by the 'free sample' ad on line, which required a phone number and calls daily from their saleskid. Claim to be 'Mormon' connected which I doubt. SO BEWARE. Stick with Mountain House which I have been using for decades. Even surplus MRE's are superior.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM

check out the link for http://www.legacyfoods.com/ it goes to the site of a large manufacture of TVP (soy protein)
Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

I believe the correct link is
http://legacyfoodstorage.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Default Is nitrogen flushing harmful

Is nitrogen flushing harmful?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 96,815 Times in 31,784 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregnant&prepared View Post
Is nitrogen flushing harmful?
No, but it's also not as effective at removing O2 as an O2 absorber would be, either. So companies that use it, unless they have multimillion dollar vacuum flushing setups (and the small companies and fly by nighters don't) are best avoided.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Thank you MikeK, do you have a suggested company to buy LTS food from?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,920 Times in 878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
Dear Legacy Foods,

I again checked the Nutrition information on the Hearty Stew from your website;
90 Calories and 980 mg of Sodium

Please tell me how this is low Sodium ?

Please tell me how a Hearty Stew with only 90 Calories is a smart buy for my family ?

In my opinion and my opinion only your only selling point is "A grab and go bucket".
Did ya see the Enchilada, Beans and Rice? almost 1200mg of sodium! No way is that something you should feed to a hungry child.
Does anyone know where they get the oranges for their orange juice?

Mr./Mrs. Legacy rep,
I am all for anyone who makes sure that folks have emergency food because it means i dont have to shoot them for trying to steal mine, but what you are selling is in that bottom tier with Wise, and the 40 dollar bucket o food at costco, and not the high quality that you are trying to portray.
Thanks again for your answers, but your product is not for me....Orange Juice with no oranges I/E fraud is where i draw the line with a vendor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wombat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 11,191 Times in 4,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregnant&prepared View Post
Thank you MikeK, do you have a suggested company to buy LTS food from?
Mountain House remains the standard by which all other companies are judged.

Though just about anything from LDS (Mormons) is great stuff at a price that can't be beat. Other companies with good reps here are Pleasant Hill Grain, The EpiCenter, HarmonyHouse, MRE Depot, Walton Feed, Provident Pantry, Shelf Reliance, Packit Gourmet, Grandma's Country Foods, Mother Earth Products, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with their trusted favorites.

Also remember that any canned food that isn't highly acidic (tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, pineapple, mandarin oranges, etc) is perfectly safe as long as the can isn't somehow compromised. The vitamins and appearance may suffer a bit as many years go by but the basic calories and fiber remain perfectly fine even decades later.

There are many reputable purveyors of LTS foods out there, as well as foods right from your grocer that will last for a very long time if you learn what they are. No need to buy from companies who try to defend high sodium foods with absolutely ridiculous concepts of portion size.

Companies that need to come here to defend their product clearly do not understand what this very well informed community wants in a product. While there is no official "best survival site" this is clearly one of the premier ones. An unofficial endorsement from us is certainly a gold seal of approval. A company that doesn't meet our standards should either rip down and rebuild their business from scratch to meet our expectations or move off to the margins so they can sell to the uninformed masses.

If Legacy wants our business they shouldn't be here trying to defend their marketing and manufacturing practices. Instead they should be changing their business to make the kind of product we want.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM

In my experience,

#10 cans aren't subject to pinholes like mylar bags.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=289757

g
The Following User Says Thank You to ganiman For This Useful Post: