Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Advertise Here

I'm confused about the difference between the Big Berkey and British Berkefeld... what is the truth?? Seems some websites talk about the 2 as if they are one and the same...but it appears they are not.

Big Berkey, I've been told, are made in China or India of imported steel...British Berkefeld's are made in Britain. British Berkefeld's are the ones used by the Red Cross, Peace Corp etc and use the original ceramic Doulton filters. Big Berkey's are a knock off of the original.

What I don't know is what is true, what is not. Whatever the choice--they are all really, really expensive. If I take the plunge, I want the real McCoy. Something that has proven itself in Africa for instance--which appears to be the British Berkefeld. Maybe Big Berkey and Aquarain and others are just as good...but I would really like some good info before purchasing any of them. I've also seen some filters called Doulton with the website saying they are the sister company of British Berkefeld....but I have no idea if that is true either....

Biggest problem is that I find I can't trust the websites themselves---it isn't clear who is hawking what--one site appears to be selling British Berkefeld, but pictures are of Big Berkeys. One site has doulton.com in its address, but appears to be selling Big Berkeys..not Doultons. I am so confused....
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I'm confused about the difference between the Big Berkey and British Berkefeld... what is the truth?? Seems some websites talk about the 2 as if they are one and the same...but it appears they are not.

Big Berkey, I've been told, are made in China or India of imported steel...British Berkefeld's are made in Britain. British Berkefeld's are the ones used by the Red Cross, Peace Corp etc and use the original ceramic Doulton filters. Big Berkey's are a knock off of the original.

What I don't know is what is true, what is not. Whatever the choice--they are all really, really expensive. If I take the plunge, I want the real McCoy. Something that has proven itself in Africa for instance--which appears to be the British Berkefeld. Maybe Big Berkey and Aquarain and others are just as good...but I would really like some good info before purchasing any of them. I've also seen some filters called Doulton with the website saying they are the sister company of British Berkefeld....but I have no idea if that is true either....

Biggest problem is that I find I can't trust the websites themselves---it isn't clear who is hawking what--one site appears to be selling British Berkefeld, but pictures are of Big Berkeys. One site has doulton.com in its address, but appears to be selling Big Berkeys..not Doultons. I am so confused....

Great questions. As I'm in the market myself, I'm also curious.

Anyone have an answer or some clarification?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM

The more I read the more I am confused myself. I thought British Berkefild had models: Crown, Imperial, Royal and Big Berky listed in descending order of amount or mater that can be filtered per day. However I find that Berkey Light Purifier / Big Berkey Water Filter are another brand. British Berkefeld has a similar name but is a different product AND THEY USE THE SAME NAME FOR THEIR MODELS!!!

I think I am more confused after looking for the answer....

Imposter?
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/ber..._purifier.aspx

Real?
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bes...d_filters.aspx
Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Default Katadyn Gravidyn

Katadyn Gravidyn: here is a little I found on that brand filter

The silvered ceramic component of the Katadyn 20720 filter cartridge removes numerous contaminants and impurities from tainted water, including:
•bacteria
•parasites
•pathogens
•protozoa
•sediment
•dirt
•rust
•cysts
•algae
•mold spores
•certain viruses
•Micron Rating: 0.2 micron
•Filter Life: Approx. 6 months
•Output: About 1 gallon per hour
•Filter Body: Ceramic body diatomaceous earth
•Filter Media: Outer layer of microporous silver-impregnated ceramic (cleanable) plus an inner core of high performance activated carbon granulate

Additionally, the activated carbon component of this Katadyn Gravidyn filter element removes or reduces the bad taste and odor of chlorine plus various organic comtaminants and hazardous chemicals such as pesticides, insecticides, humic acids, detergents, VOCs, DDT, THM, and others.

www.katadyn.com
Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Default decisions, decisions

Howdy all-

I currently volunteer at an orphanage in Northern Mexico. The water here from the "city" is pretty crappy (big surprise). They needed a better alternative than buying the 5 gallon "purified" bottles from the local water guy $$. After much research (web surfing) I decided to do a test. I bought (some Churches donated the money for this) 3 AquaRain 404's with 4 of their High performance filters and 1 Big Berkey with 4, 9" Super S white ceramic filters (only size available at the time I needed them). After 9 months of heavy daily usage here are some of my observations:

1) nobody has gotten sick from drinking the water
2) The AquaRain filters are holding up better than the the Berkeys.
They (AR) are still smooth and pass the "thickness" test with the simple tool AquaRain includes with their filters. The Berkeys are getting super thin, I can actually see some metal mesh starting to show through the ceramic. We use the same process of cleaning them so I know we are not scrubbing one filter type harder than the other.
3) The BB definitely filter MUCH faster
3) I like the anti-spill lip on the AquaRain
4) AR has a really crappy cheap rubber gasket "base" that it sits on. Ours promptly broke and we discarded them.
5) They both are well built but the AR seems more solid.

I can safely say that the filters have easily seen more than 5,000 gallons flow through them (based on previous usage of 5 gallon bottles).
What we are going to do now is buy the AquaRain ceramics to use in our Berkey since they will fit.
I have not used the Black BB filters so have no experience with them.

Hope this helps somebody. Feel free to im me or ask questions. This review is based on my personal experience with both of these in the field.

Semper Fi
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Usmc1968 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Amateur / Extra Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1968 View Post
I can safely say that the filters have easily seen more than 5,000 gallons flow through them (based on previous usage of 5 gallon bottles).

What we are going to do now is buy the AquaRain ceramics to use in our Berkey since they will fit.
I have not used the Black BB filters so have no experience with them.

Hope this helps somebody. Feel free to im me or ask questions. This review is based on my personal experience with both of these in the field.

Semper Fi
USMC - You may have just influenced my purchase decision. Is it 100% confirmed that the Aquarain ceramic filters fit in the Berkey?

I want to purchase the Berkey, but the high price of the black filters turns me to other options. I'm sure they are high in quality, so no disputing that, but I feel the white Aquarain ceramic filter will be more than safe, providing excellent quality and filtration. Price difference: $23.00

2 Aquarain Ceramic Filters: $85.98
2 Black Berkey Filters: $109.00

At least that offers a choice. Now it just remains to be seen which one lasts longer while maintaining quality.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJP5 View Post
USMC - You may have just influenced my purchase decision. Is it 100% confirmed that the Aquarain ceramic filters fit in the Berkey?

2 Aquarain Ceramic Filters: $85.98
2 Black Berkey Filters: $109.00

At least that offers a choice. Now it just remains to be seen which one lasts longer while maintaining quality.
interesting idea. I hope you will bump this thread up and give us a report after you use this system for a while!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Buy a generic SS housing, 2 or 4 of the 2.75x7 Doulton Supersterasyl filters and be done with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBinc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 PM

JBinc-
That would definitely work, and be cheaper but I would recommend the Aquarain filters. XJP5;Tomorrow I am going to verify 100% if the AR filters fit in the BB housing. Standby for standby

Semper Fi
Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 PM

I am sticking with the Berkey's for the simple fact that I own them and they work. Their customer service has been good in the past. I have had some issues with them (I won't bring it up again as it has been discussed in previous posts) that have been resolved by the manufacturer. The main reason that I chose a Berkey over the AR is the ability to purchase fluoride filters. It has been a while since I visited the AR website, but the last time I did, they did not offer fluoride filters and this is very important to my family. I would gladly take either in a shtf situation but for daily use, I prefer the Berkey. It really boils down to personal preference but either would suit you well in a shtf situation.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Good day-

I just confirmed 100% the AR filters DO fit into a BB container. You can even use the same nut, but have to use the AR gasket since the SS Filters have a much longer threaded nozzle and thicker gasket. Which means you can use the BB fluoride filters in the AR container if you want as well.
Bottom line they will both keep you safe when the SHTF

Semper Fi
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Usmc1968 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Amateur / Extra Class

Thanks USMC,

I do appreciate your effort on testing the filters and reporting back.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 PM

No worries. Hope this helps somebody! Remember, safe water is probably the most important thing in a SHTF situation, then you can overcome the other stuff.

Semper Fi
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Target Shooter

USMC1968 - - thanks for the recon on the aquarain filters.
I bought 2 berkey imperials, and outfitted both with 6 filters each, and have backup filters to change out twice in a shtf situation.
I researched the aquarain and like it - - but I thought that depending what a shtf situation might look like, we might be able to find berkey filters and parts a little easier than AR. I thought about buying an AR just to have another option, but now that I know that their filters will fit the berkey, you just saved me some money. I now know that if I have to try to find more filter replacements after shtf happens, I can use whatever I can find.
THANKS!!
The Following User Says Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 PM

I've seen comments about the AquaRain ceramic filters being the best quality - but I've also seen some comments about the lower section of the AquaRain filter splitting.

I was thinking of buying an AquaCera polycarbonate filter, and putting in AcquaRain filters.

Would this work? Any thoughts on this strategy?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Default Thanks

thanks, i was looking aroud thie site and you guys answered some questions for me.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:38 PM

I had my AR lower section split at the upper lip in 2 places. The bottom was replaced with no questions asked by AR under warranty. I am still using the original filters that came with the unit, 2 years and counting!
Sorry, no experience with the AquaCera filters.

Semper Fi
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Hiker

Do the Aquarain candles break at the base as quick as the black Burkeys?

I've had my originals & the replacement break. I now use the monolithic. They are cheaper & I've used them for a few months now with no probs. The black Burkeys each broke within 2 months use.

My experience says stay away from black Berkey.

My $0.02
Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,059 Times in 364 Posts

I have had my aquarain for a few months now. the water tastes great, no wonder i hated drinking water before I had a filter! as for any problems with my AR, I havent had it long enough yet maybe, but so far its good. here in Canada its alot more pricey than in america.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM

Hope I'm not necroing a dead thread here but I am doing much the same homework, finding much the same smokescreen and reaching much the same conclusions. I am also concerned about flouride. If the aquarain filters will fit the berkey buckets, then I assume their threading is the same. Does this mean the berkey PF-2 flouride postfilters will screw onto the aquarain candles? Berkey is so far the only one I've found to offer a flouride postfilter, or for that matter any postfilter options.

Also, since none of these filters will handle virii, does anyone offer a gravity setup like these where the bottom bucket has a UV lamp? Thats a bit big of a container to hit with a steripen. If not, hey, manufacturers, theres an option niche to be filled here!