Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

OBTW: you have to give Charlton Heston a nod as "Omega Man" and or THE MAN in "Planet of the Apes" and what not...

Maybe even Dustin Hoffman for "Marathon Man" - endurance RULES!
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertPhoenix06 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,102 Posts

With today's culture all screaming "Look at me! Look how cool and bad I am!", it only follows that people who crave unnatural attention are gonna imitate. Most of them will scurry for their mouse holes to tremble and whimper when the bad guys come.

What distinguishes those types from the people who will defend family and home from assault is that they will be the last line to cross before all is lost, and they know some things are worse than dying.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I love this forum

...it's the worst part of being on these boards. i think there is about a dozen "real people" on this board and the rest are twelve year old's... 95% of the posts are devoid of any common sense or practicality.

if wanted to talk about fantasy i'd have signed up on the Lord of the Rings board!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Recent Blog:
USMC 4 LIFE

mmore like huricans for me.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Innocent civilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydivision6 View Post
...it's the worst part of being on these boards. i think there is about a dozen "real people" on this board and the rest are twelve year old's... 95% of the posts are devoid of any common sense or practicality.

if wanted to talk about fantasy i'd have signed up on the Lord of the Rings board!

THE PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are correct! the internet provides the perfect amount of ambiguity to say ridiculous things via cyberspace while you're waiting for your mom to call you down for dinner.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Target Shooter

You really just do not know who you are talking to on these forums, for good or bad, just try not to get "Butt Hurt" if someone says something you do not agree with, and soak up the good info like a sponge.
Someone may look like a total "Poser" and that guy maybe a frickin "Beast" on the opposite side, your "Beast" may just be a kid taking a break from their Xbox.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tripletap187 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,408 Posts

If I had to choose, I'd rather be Tallahassee

The Following User Says Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Still standing

Thanked 1,443 Times in 629 Posts

Given what time & tide plus an "interesting" life have done to my body and brain, I think my role would be that of one of the sacrificial members of a crew who take positions to slow down the attacking force long enough for the young and viable to escape. I could "give'm hell", but am no longer be able to shoot'n'scoot (the scoot part would be sad), thus it would be my exit from life's poorly lit stage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pantagruel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Rational Being

Thanked 4,079 Times in 1,266 Posts

I don't know about you, but I fully plan on turning into Martha Stewart if we ever see poo flung through an oscillating blade. Screw the guns... I'll bring people to their knees with a perfect roast chicken.

It's a good thing.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I love this forum

as i read this i'm listening to "pandora" internet radio... if the SHTF i think my music will be the hardest thing to do without. i actually have an extensive vinyl collection and i have a wind up victrola... but i don't think i'll bug out with it...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Innocent civilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydivision6 View Post
as i read this i'm listening to "pandora" internet radio... if the SHTF i think my music will be the hardest thing to do without. i actually have an extensive vinyl collection and i have a wind up victrola... but i don't think i'll bug out with it...
based on your user name, I'm gonna say that vinyl collections consists of bands like Warsaw, New Order, Bauhaus, The Smiths, The Cure, Love & Rockets, Echo & The Bunnymen.... maybe some Sonic Youth?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 10,594 Times in 3,265 Posts

One of the challenges that many participants on this forum face is that very few US citizens have ever faced a genuine EOTWAWKI scenario. So they really don't have a grasp on what many of the parameters would be, (what life was like before electricity use was widespread in the US,) or precisely what situations they would likely face.

Given all the unknowns, its pretty easy to fall back on movies or books or imagination to fill in the blanks.

If Americans, at least, try to envision disaster scenarios like Hurricane Katrina or the tornadoes that struck the heartland heavily last Spring, those were certainly intense storms - but the actual storm itself was of relatively short duration. The electricity was on within days or weeks in most cases, and very few people starved or were tortured by looters or gangs. There were certainly losses and widespread discomfort and grieving to be done, and I don't mean to minimize the sense of disorientation a person feels when they lose their home and all their possessions. But these were emphatically not the same as the environment during the breakup of Yugoslavia, where Serbs fought Croats who fought Bosnian Muslims in wars of viscious ethnic cleansing, where organized mass rape was used as a psychological weapon of war, and where entire villages of people were machine-gunned into ditches dug by backhoes. There WAS starvation in Bosnia and Croatia, there were snipers and random killings, and vengeance murders, and death squads. We're talking about differences of orders of magnitude in terms of duration, disruption, and intensity.

EOTWAWKI scenarios have occurred during the past twenty years in a number of countries on the planet, but not in the US. Not scenarios involving the entire country in a war or near-war footing, where armed bands of brigands can descend on a city and reduce it to ruins (as in Congo, Liberia, Sudan, Somalia, Uganda, etc.) or where roving bands of machete-wielding mobs were hacking random people into pieces (Hutu-Tutsi massacres).

So while a lot of the grandiose "kill them all and let God sort them out" bravado is no doubt based on either inexperience, immaturity, or keyboard commandoism, a larger cause may be that very few forum members really know what they're talking about -- and how could they? They have no frame of reference. Very few have ever been involved in a genuine 'war of all against all' environment, where they watched their neighbor's corpses bulldozed into ditches and covered with lime.

Few people know how well they would deal in total breakdown environments like those that occurred in Yugoslavia, Somalia, or the Central African Republics.

Most rational folks don't ever want to find out.

YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I practice avoidance as much as possible and practical. Why get into a fight just to get into a fight? That said I do believe that I have the moral character that would allow me to kill another and not go crazy with some kind of guilt. I will defend myself, my family and my property if, as a last resort, it becomes necessary.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Recent Blog:
NRA Life Member since '74

Thanked 4,076 Times in 677 Posts

In the past when I'd get a gun out of the safe and my kids looked at me inquisitively I'd get a sneaky look on my face an say "shhh, wabbits" Now when the same thing happens I affect the same facial expression and say "shhh, zombies" My kids think I'm nuts and are good judges of character. While I certainly don't believe in zombies I have been prepping for something for many years. While I don't look forward to turmoil I'd like to think I'm ready for it, be it wabbits or zombies.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Brains???

How else is mediocrity supposed to get their ego stroked?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 6,655 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_LoNgShOt View Post
so, I have to say that the more I read and search so called "survival" forums, I can't help but notice a common thread. there are a LOT of people who actually believe that they are going to assume the real life role of one of the following fictitious characters:

1) Rick Grimes (The Walking Dead)
2) Mad Max
3) Rambo
4) Charles Bronson (any of the death wish movies..)
5) Snake Plissken (escape from LA)
6) Clint Eastwood (Josey Wales was mentioned, but, hell, it's CLINT FRIKIN' EASTWOOD! any Clint character will do!)
7) John Wayne

I'm not sure what it is that makes people fantasize about being a "zombie killer" or single-handedly taking on ruthless, depraved gang members who'll be roaming the urban streets, but it's entertaining to read. many of these guys seem to be chomping at the bit for TEOTWAWKI to get here! I hold out hope that most of these folks are just posting as a joke, but I'm sure some actually believe what they're saying. If I've offended anyone on this forum by posting this, PLEASE respond back and let me know why! I like to think I've got an open mind.... perhaps I could be convinced that I need to stock up on some of those Hornady Zombie Max shells for my 870.
In the end, it isn't going to matter much. Survival will be 80% "luck", regardless what your skill level is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Target Shooter

I do believe luck will be a factor.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
BANNED

SHTF, I'll become Taco Bell... And run for the border, To Canada.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Target Shooter

I watched a great documentary about the "contractors" (AKA: Mercenaries) that America uses in it's wars. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of it.

One of the mercenaries made an excellent point on why some people idolize their work. He said because most average Joe's in America lead a boring and predictable lifestyle. And the idea of a mercenary gives them something in their life that they'll never have.