Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Another One

Advertise Here

Working on fires enables one to meet lots of different folks from all over the country. Exchanging stories with these fine men and women is one of the things I miss most about working for the FS. We were exchanging scary stories that happen in the woods and this is by far one of the creepiest.

I think these guys were from Montana but I can't remember for sure. I do remember that they said the creepiest thing that ever happend was on a fire in Northern California. I kind of doubted that anything that happened on a fire would be as creepy as the stuff that had happend to me camping or other camping stories, but this is crazy.

So these guys were on this fire in the wilderness. They were in the middle of nowhere and the fire was miles in from the nearest road. They had set up a base camp near the road and would hike into the fire to dig the line, cut trees, ect. I belive there were about 8 guys on the crew, and the 2nd day one of them sees something. About 200 yards away there is a CLOWN sitting on a stump. He can't belive his eyes and starts getting all of his buddies attention and they are all staring at this clown sitting on a stump in a clearing. One of the guys freaks out and grabs his pilaski and heads out towards the Clown. The clown slowly rises, turns and walks into the woods and out of sight. The guy stops and come back and they are in disbelief and then ulitmately get back to work digging line around the fire. The next day they are back out working the fire and sure enough after a few hours, there is the Clown again sitting out on the stump. They contained the fire and mopped up and each day untill the left the Clown would appear and then retreat to the forst when pursued. Finally after the 4th day they just kept working and the Clown watched them work. They said they couldn't sleep because they kept thinking the guy in the clown suit was stalking them. He never came ito their camp (that they know of) but just watched from afar.

Creepy for sure.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Prepared

just a guy ****ing with them...
if he were in MT he would be shot
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM

Smile

After many weeks of reading this read, and many months of lurking the forum, I've decided to share a few of my personal experiences.

All of the following occurrences took place in the Laurel Mountains of Western Pennsylvania, in chronological order.

Late July 2010

A group of friends and I rent a cabin at Linn Run State Park every summer. We've done it for three years now and the core of us are pretty much expecting to make the annual trip a fixture in our lives until it's no longer possible to do so. Our group is made up of quite a diverse number of people, from several locations. We've had attendees from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. All either friends of mine from high school or mutual acquaintances that have formed over the last few years. We have all sorts of different types of individuals in our group. College students, an executive protection agent (myself), a mechanical engineer, a phone salesmen, one of my buddies trying to make it in a band... Just to give some background on the variations of expertise present. We are all in our early twenties.

During this, the first of our week-long visits to the park, we took a liking to going on "night-hikes". We still do this occasionally, but on this particular trip it had become the theme. Staying up late, being noisy and obnoxious, and going out in the dark. You know, the typical things a group of kids freshly in or out of college would do. Thankfully, we have really been able to remove much of the loud and abnoxiousness from our repertoire of hobbies over the last couple of years - but we were fairly, self-admittedly annoying that first year.

On one of the last nights of the trip, four of us decided to do a night hike. We would drive to the top of Summit Road and park near "the bog", hopping along several trails before eventually spending the majority of the few-mile hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (LHHT).

In attendance was myself, my (then) girlfriend and two of our male friends. One of my friends was attending University of Pittsburgh at the time and the other was a jobless bum from Philadelphia. My (then) girlfriend and I were both attending Westmoreland County Community College and I was working in management at our local Target store at the time.

We visited the bog, hiked leisurely along the trails and were just generally having a good time. It was a spectacular night. Just a small chill on the air and stars as far as you could see (The Philly bloke commented on that several times). We had just turned onto the LHHT when I thought I heard what sounded like yelling of some sort. It sounded as if it was quite a distance away and no one else made mention of it so I shrugged it off. As we continued a short while further down the trail I heard yelling again. This time much closer and clearly audible to everyone else. I was curious about the origin of the sound but no one was spooked by it. The sound gradually grew closer and closer as we made our way towards our destination. It sounded as if it was coming from our left. This portion of the trail is on a hill, and due left of us was downward. At this point we were all getting a little creeped out. I can't put my finger on what the yelling was, definitely sounded human but I couldn't discern any words or phrases up until this moment; the yelling sounded closer than it had been at any point and a clear phrase was screamed at us. I - for the life of me - cannot recall exactly what was said, and I wish to hell I could. But it was something generally in the scope of "we're coming for you". Well, you can imagine what our slight apprehension turned into then. Just about full out panic from my (then) girlfriend, and the rest of us probably weren't much better. We picked up the pace for several minutes - University of Pitt man in the front (avid outdoorsman) and myself in the back. I turned my flashlight around, holding it backwards so I could fire it back into the trail after us. My thinking was, if someone was behind us, they would think I was closely inspecting our tail. But at the same time, not actually turning around allowed for me to maintain the quick pace the others were setting. As we made it further down the trail the yelling stopped for a time before persisting again. After the recurrence of the yelling, we stopped and I asked my non-bum buddy if he was concerned enough to take his conceal carry Glock out of his pack. He was the only one carrying a firearm during this hike. He complied and holstered the weapon before we continued. Now, he is very careful and borderline obsessive about keeping the fact that he carries private, even amongst our group of friends. The fact that he was willing to even put the piece on his hip tells me that he was as rattled as I was during this. When he was getting it out of his pack, I was explaining to the other two why we had stopped as they didn't know he was carrying. I purposely stated very loudly that we had stopped to unpack our firearms. I wasn't really sure if it was a smart move or not, but I figured just trying to get away from the yelling wasn't working so taking the risk of elevating things by letting our "pursuers" know we were packing was worth it. From there on out the yelling pretty much subsided. Whether the gun had anything to do with it or not, I'll never know - but I have to imagine it may have. We worked our way out to an access road and navigated back to the car using various streets and trails from there.

December 2010

We had just gotten a huge snow in the area. My buddy from Pitt and I decided to jump in the car and head up to Laurel for a night of camping in the snow. This was the first real experience either of us had obtained as far as camping in such weather. We made the drive with no issue until we reached Summit Road. The main highway that surrounds the Laurel Highlands wraps around this road. There is access from both the bottom and top of the mountain. Due to the weather, and my car - a 2009 Kia Rio sedan - we had decided to stay on US 30 and come down Summit as opposed to trying to climb the road, which would have been quite impossible.

(Aside: My mother, sister, grandpa and I have gotten stuck on Summit in snowy weather before. It's not a fun time. There is no real help for a good distance and my grandpa is handicapped, sister is diabetic and my mother panics in such situations. Luckily during this instance, we were able to dig ourselves out. But I know the importance of being cautious in such weather in this area.)

As we made our way down Summit there were several large SUVs either partially or entirely stuck off the side of the road. Some were just banked while others were basically hanging off the edges of brief cliffs that line the road. Most of these vehicles were Escalades or something similar. White collar men with their freaking out wives and young children. We stopped to help a couple of such families along the way to our access point. The fathers had no idea what they were doing, the children were scared or even crying and the wives were either complaining or giving us ludicrous suggestions as to how we should free their vehicles.

Eventually we made it to our parking spot and hiked in. This was a particularly tough hike for me. My asthma was acting up and my friend keeps a rough pace, especially in the snow. He's 6'4 and I'm 5'9. The long legs make more of a difference than he realizes. We finally settled on a spot some yards in from the trail and dug out a place for the fire and tent. Everything was going okay. After some time by the fire we went to lay down in the tent which was way too tight for both of us. After a while laying uncomfortably in it, the roof collapsed. We laughed and while I realized the night probably wasn't going to work out I jokingly suggested we just leave it and use the top of the tent as a blanket.

Here is where it gets a little creepy.

We were talking, just laying there "in" the tent then the next thing I know, I come-to and it's pitch black. I hadn't been tired, sleepy or anything like that but somehow a chunk of time just vanished from my life. I do not recall opening my eyes or anything that would indicate I had been sleeping. I and my friend were both in the exact same positions as what I thought had just been seconds before. The only difference was that the late-afternoon light that had been there was instantly replaced by midnight black. I called out to my friend and asked him "What just happened?" to which he responded "I don't know". Neither of us can believe we fell asleep but I don't have another explanation for what occurred.

Early April 2012

Same buddy, my sister and I decided to go sleep at one of the shelter areas along the LHHT. If anyone is familiar with the area, this is the shelter site right off of route 30 on Laurel Ridge. We got there and set-up in one of the lean-tos, and tried desperately to get a fire going (everything was wet). After considerable effort we managed to raise some flames. It was a crazy cold night. I'm not sure what the temp was, but the wind was howling from the moment we arrived amplifying the cold. My sister is not an avid camper and was using some of my spare gear. She was very cold and I gave her bascially everything I had brought to sleep in myself. My bag, two blankets, wool sweatshirt and pillow. I kept my hoodie and the sheet I always bring. I moved down towards the fire and sat at the edge of the lean-to. My friend was already asleep and my sister managed to follow soon after. As I sat there enjoying the harsh but bearable weather, I noticed a light off some distance to the left of our lean-to opening. There are about half dozen lean-tos in the shelter area and none are up that way. I had thought to myself that it was probably a tower of some sort, light blinking away. But after some thought I realized it couldn't have been. The elevation in the direction I was looking was too steep for me to have been seeing past the woods into civilization. My next theory was that it was a solid light and the wind was just blowing the brush in between us and it back and forth giving the appearance that the light was blinking. At this juncture I woke my friend up and asked him to take a look at it with me. He was baffled himself but debunked my latest idea with the fact that the blinking was steady. on-off-on-ff-on... There was no randomness to the blinking whatsoever. Totally rhythmic. He, tired and somewhat annoyed, crawled back into his bag but I was still uneasy. There were no other parties in the shelter area and no other cars at the trail head. Unless someone was hiking a larger portion of the trail, we were alone. And even if it was another camp, why wouldn't they have been making use of a shelter? I'm aware that people like to use personal tents instead, but in that weather? And if it were a camp, what kind of gear would be blinking like that? Not to mention where the light was coming from wasn't a very welcoming place to set-up camp. Thick brush all around and on a hill. I sat there for hours watching this light. I'm not sure why it bothered me so bad, but it did. Finally sometime around 0400 I couldn't take it anymore. I was too tired to be concerned. I crawled into my... sheet and went to bed. I woke up several times sweating over the next couple of hours and checked on the light each time. It was there, persisting until daylight made it vanish. I thought perhaps it was a game camera of some sort, but I've never seen a game-cam with a large blinking light. I have no idea what that was. I really wanted to go check it out in the morning, but when we all awoke everyone was freezing and we just hiked out. I still get goosebumps thinking about that one. Something about that light really bothered me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not the creepiest stories on here, but I can assure you the heat of the moment during those times were certainly more heart racing than the text I've provided most likely is. I hope the tales were enjoyable.

What I think happened:

Story 1: A group, probably not much different from ours, was messing with us. Probably a bunch of kids just trying to scare hikers.

Story 2: We must have fallen asleep. I've made jokes about us being abducted by aliens, but from a practical standpoint I can't come up with any other alternative. Perhaps the weather had some effect on us.

Story 3: I have no idea. As I said, that light still really bothers me. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ShutDown24 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
His Name is Tyler Danann

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 9,020 Times in 2,324 Posts

Red Bear, was that picture an actual photo or just a sketch of you?
I wonder if he was guessing or had actually been stalking you out?!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Educated Idiot

Thanked 2,906 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
Working on fires enables one to meet lots of different folks from all over the country. Exchanging stories with these fine men and women is one of the things I miss most about working for the FS. We were exchanging scary stories that happen in the woods and this is by far one of the creepiest.

I think these guys were from Montana but I can't remember for sure. I do remember that they said the creepiest thing that ever happend was on a fire in Northern California. I kind of doubted that anything that happened on a fire would be as creepy as the stuff that had happend to me camping or other camping stories, but this is crazy.

So these guys were on this fire in the wilderness. They were in the middle of nowhere and the fire was miles in from the nearest road. They had set up a base camp near the road and would hike into the fire to dig the line, cut trees, ect. I belive there were about 8 guys on the crew, and the 2nd day one of them sees something. About 200 yards away there is a CLOWN sitting on a stump. He can't belive his eyes and starts getting all of his buddies attention and they are all staring at this clown sitting on a stump in a clearing. One of the guys freaks out and grabs his pilaski and heads out towards the Clown. The clown slowly rises, turns and walks into the woods and out of sight. The guy stops and come back and they are in disbelief and then ulitmately get back to work digging line around the fire. The next day they are back out working the fire and sure enough after a few hours, there is the Clown again sitting out on the stump. They contained the fire and mopped up and each day untill the left the Clown would appear and then retreat to the forst when pursued. Finally after the 4th day they just kept working and the Clown watched them work. They said they couldn't sleep because they kept thinking the guy in the clown suit was stalking them. He never came ito their camp (that they know of) but just watched from afar.

Creepy for sure.
Yet another reason to ban clowns. Nothing (besides maybe spiders) give me the creeps like clowns.

Thanks for sharing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Charles Martel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Prepared

Well at least he just sat there and watched.....Knowing me, I would have walked up to the clown and said "HEY!!!!! You want to come help us put out this fire or are you just going to keep sitting there on your ass on that stump smiling?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shanna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Here to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post

What I think happened:

Story 1: A group, probably not much different from ours, was messing with us. Probably a bunch of kids just trying to scare hikers.

Story 2: We must have fallen asleep. I've made jokes about us being abducted by aliens, but from a practical standpoint I can't come up with any other alternative. Perhaps the weather had some effect on us.

Story 3: I have no idea. As I said, that light still really bothers me. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Good stories.

#1- what about the possibility you were hearing half of a rescue? The very first thing I thought when you said you could hear people yelling was that someone was injured, lost etc. and other people were looking for them. When I read that they said something to the effect of "We're coming for you!" that sounds more like you were hearing the rescue party assuring the person who was lost/injured/stranded etc. The other person may have been too far away for you to hear.

#2- Sorry but I lean on alien abduction. Call me a tinfoil wearing hat person if you will, but that seems classic. I had an experience somewhat like that where my then-boyfriend and I went to sleep and when we woke up we were on opposite sides (we would have had to crawl over one another to achieve this) and our torsos were bruised and sore. No memory of what happened, and I'm a light sleeper and we had not been drinking or doing drugs. Your incident, with the way you weren't tired but lose a massive block of time sounds very much like an abduction to me.

#3- Could it have been a strobe? I carry a marine strobe with me in my kit as part of my survival gear for signaling. I would use it to let someone know my location. Maybe someone was in trouble up there?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EagleRiverDee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Good stories.
Thanks for the great response!

Quote:
#1- what about the possibility you were hearing half of a rescue? The very first thing I thought when you said you could hear people yelling was that someone was injured, lost etc. and other people were looking for them. When I read that they said something to the effect of "We're coming for you!" that sounds more like you were hearing the rescue party assuring the person who was lost/injured/stranded etc. The other person may have been too far away for you to hear.
Definitely a possibility. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

Quote:
#2- Sorry but I lean on alien abduction. Call me a tinfoil wearing hat person if you will, but that seems classic. I had an experience somewhat like that where my then-boyfriend and I went to sleep and when we woke up we were on opposite sides (we would have had to crawl over one another to achieve this) and our torsos were bruised and sore. No memory of what happened, and I'm a light sleeper and we had not been drinking or doing drugs. Your incident, with the way you weren't tired but lose a massive block of time sounds very much like an abduction to me.
Can't say I haven't thought about it myself. Sure as hell hope that's not the case, but if I came to find out in another life that it was, I guess I wouldn't be shocked. Probably the oddest thing that has ever happened to me.

Quote:
#3- Could it have been a strobe? I carry a marine strobe with me in my kit as part of my survival gear for signaling. I would use it to let someone know my location. Maybe someone was in trouble up there?
I sure hope not. I would hate to think someone was in trouble and I didn't check it out because I was too scared. I'd rather have the abduction theory be accurate than this one haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShutDown24 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenofury View Post
This happened in high school. Girlfriend and I go to local trail by the resovoir to take a walk on a warm summer night. We park the car (there are no other cars there) and walk around for a while and a little storm starts up. Nothing big, just some light wind and lightning in the distance. We are walking back to the car and a light rain starts. For some reason we both get an eerie feeling in the worst way. We keep walking and getting more and more freaked out as if we are being followed. This goes on for maybe two hundred yards. We are looking around and of course can barely see anything as the clouds have blocked the moon and stars. We both stop at the same time and look down towards the water just as the lightning illuminates the area. There is a shirtless guy wearing long pants and no shoes in a low crawl right between us and the water going in the same direction as we are but crawling through light woods and rocks instead of walking on the groomed trail. His head was down when we saw him so I don't think he saw us immediately take off back to the car. I want to believe this is just coincidence, but there is really no plausible reason for his behavior, why he was almost naked, or how he got to be there without a vehicle. To this day I have at least a knife when I'm in the woods.
Probably Tom Brown or one of his students trying to be a "Scout" hahaha. He has a bunch of stories in his books about sneaking around and following people in the woods. (With no shirt or shoes of course)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM

That clown story is creepy. Could have been "It" or worse some kind of John Wayne Gacy freak serial killer.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I had a weird one the other day. We were driving out in the middle of nowhere admiring the mountains. It was a gorgeous sunny day, late winter. One of the mountains had this big circular shadow on it. Then it occurred to me...there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. Not one. Nothing that could cast the shadow. That was really odd and sort of creepy, because whatever was casting that shadow was not visible to the naked eye. Examining the mountain there was no way it was an optical illusion and no way the mountain itself was casting the shadow. The placement of the sun in the sky in relationship to the mountain meant something had to be in between...but there was nothing there.
I experienced something similar to this, except it happened while deep sea fishing on the Gulf of Mexico on a friends boat in 2006.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the water was about as calm as it can get out there.
The three of us had been fishing for a few hours when we noticed a circular shadow a couple of hundred feet in diameter in front of the boat. We looked for the cause, but there was nothing in the sky above us that we could see.

Thinking that it might be bait fish but curious enough to check it out anyway, my friend piloted the boat into the shadow and we were immediately enveloped in shade, sort of. The sun was still there and none of us could look directly at it, but it's brightness and heat was diminished considerably.
There was no odd or eerie feeling while in that shadow. The boats instruments were functioning properly. Just a"WTH?" feeling.

There are several military bases along the Panhandle coast of Florida, but I can't imagine how they would be able to pull off a trick like that.

The shadow (or spot) was still there when we left, and now you know as much about it as I do.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swamp_shadow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
Yet another reason to ban clowns. Nothing (besides maybe spiders) give me the creeps like clowns.

Thanks for sharing.
Stephen King's movie "It" immediately came to mind.

Clowns don't scare me, but running up on one in the wild, woody yonder might change my thinking.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Good stories.

Agreed, very good stories.

#1- Very plausible explanation.

#2- Far out! The only time I ever "lost time" was when I nearly died from an infection in the lymph glands in my neck, which cut off the oxygen supply to my brain from the swelling. I lost 3 days and ain't been right since .
I say that to say this: Were they getting a good supply of air in the collapsed tent? But then again, would they have been able to wake up?

#3- Again very plausible. A hunting buddy of mine started setting up a strobe in his camp after he was shot in the leg by a bunch of drunk yahoos at a neighboring camp one night. That night they were just shooting off into the woods and claimed they didn't know he was there.
(I might add that he has had some curious folks check out the source of the light, but that's better than being shot)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamp_shadow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
ominous loomer

I have read this whole thread and creeped myself out so many times... lol

I have had two experiences in my life that where truly unexplainable.

The first one I was about 16 and my friend was 17. We hung out all the time and new about every gravel road within 100 miles of my home town close to Fargo,ND but on the Minnesota side.

One day he came to pick me up about 3:00pm in the afternoon and we went cruising and fishing some different spots we new on the Buffalo river. After catching some garbage fish we decided just to go drive around and see what we could see. Ended up taking a two track road that came to a T and we seen a older farm stead that looked like no one was living their presently. We drove up the drive way and just sat in the car and no one came out to greet us so we decided we would take a look around.

A shelter belt was to the south and east of the home and the home itself had vines growing all over it. Once we got out of the car and started walking toward the home with in about 50ft of the front door all hell broke loose. It sounded like a huge flock of birds where getting up out of the trees but could see nothing. All of the sudden a elm tree about 60ft tall on the outside edge of the shelter belt almost bent over in half with the majority of the branches of the top tree laying flat on the ground for a second or two and the tree sprung back up!

By that time we where both running so fast back to the car i started looking over my shoulder to see what was behind me and also did my friend and the only way I can explain it was looking into a giant ball of fumes orange in color and it was moving the opposite way from us through the shelter belt and it sound like full sized limbs snapping off trees in the direction it was going.

We made it back to the car, locked the doors, and we were both so out of breath that we didn't say a word to each other for the next 30 seconds. Got the car started and took off and all we could come up with to say was "what the he!! was that?"

I told so many random people about the incident and they all looked at me like I was crazy. UNTIL about a year ago when I moved back around the area I was with one of my dads friends fishing and we were on the way home and I pointed in the general direction and told him the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life was about 3 miles that way. He got a half cocked smile on his face and asked what I seen. I told him and he laughed. BUT his response wasn't what I expected. He told me he had brought so many people up around that farmstead and not one of them want to go back afterwords.

I guess the family that originally owned it the father died in a freak tractor accident. The tractor rolled over on him on basically no incline at all and the mother and son died within the next month. Ever since then the place had been known to be haunted...

I have never really been scared from anything in the outdoors because I could always make up a explanation for it. This I couldn't. I know it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me because it was in broad day light. I dint know of any animal that could bend a tree down to the ground like that. specially without me seeing it in the process.

I will tell my next story later this week. I can look like a freak all at one time lol.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to theflatlander For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Like many others, this thread has been a big influence on my decision to register with the site, keep up the stories!

Nothing too creepy personally, probably the creepiest story was one time while 4 wheel driving in the bush near the coast. Sorry in advance for the long story.

Some friends and I were exploring a track we had never been down before that took some serious 4wd'ing to navigate, we struggled to get in there. My friend had some junk in the back of his car that was rattling around a bit too violently, so we pulled off the track at our first opportunity to try and secure it.

While we were doing that, we noticed something blue just visible high up in the trees further down the track, so once we were done we continued on, curious to see what it was. As we got closer, we could see it was a blue tarp tied up in the trees to provide some shelter. We came out into a sort of thinning out of the trees, not really a clearing, and found a couple of old caravan-style homes, with old looking couches, mattresses, fire drums etc.

We couldn't see any people, but didn't want to find any lol. No one knew where we were, none of us had phone reception, and we were at least half an hour from the nearest road. We locked the doors and managed to get turned around and headed out. On the way out we noticed an empty cage made out of 2 or more shopping trolleys attached to each other. We figured after we were safely away it was probably just some homeless people living there, but we all kept an eye out for reports of missing persons or anything of the like! Always wondered how they got the caravans out there when we struggled with the 4WD
Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Knowledge is portable...

Thanked 1,040 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Always wondered how they got the caravans out there when we struggled with the 4WD
Probably a road just on the other side of some brush or something... Wouldn't that figure.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
His Name is Tyler Danann

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 9,020 Times in 2,324 Posts

Wonder what the cage was for??!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Default Lhht pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongovb View Post
I was talking to my cousin about the story that if you are Hawaiian and have pork in your car while traveling on the Pali highway your car will shut off at a certain point until you throw out the pork. I said lets get some pork and try it. He said I was crazy and hell no!
Um... maybe the god(s) way of saying not to eat too much bacon??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I practically live on Laurel. We've had a number of strange occurrences happen in the forest around here. Several on the LHHT... Several at the shelter sites.

Just wanted to hop on and say hi. Nice to read about something local.
Cool. One of my favorite parts of the country. And the terrain, especially the climb up from Ohiopyle, reminds me a lot of the Appalachian Trail. The kayaking/rafting is nice too. I also did some hiking at Raccoon Creek and McConnell's Mill, where I tore the meniscus in my left knee and had to have surgery.

The other part I could add, if I were to stretch it further, was this, which I can now add after a few beers Just before trying to start the fire, I had a nice conversation with an attractive woman who hiked up to the same area with her sons. No adult male to be found

She actually reminded me of a younger Christie Brinkley, and invited me over to her shelter, after I was "done" with whatever I was doing. In retrospect, I think the branch falling may have been a sign to pay attention to "windfalls", but I never took advantage of it and regret it to this day. A very beautiful, and OUTDOORSY!! woman around my age. I guess I just don't recognize signs even when they almost fall on my head! Though I try better now... Pseudo-religiously, in an Hellenistic Pagan way, I could say that since I was on a journey, physically and spiritually, so the Intermediary (Hermes) was with me and giving a sign, in a really obvious way, but I wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, I would probably be living in Western PA if I though my sister and her BF (boyfriend, not bigfoot LOL) would suffer me until I found a job in the Pitt....

Oh!!! One more frightening story--I was at Ohiopyle another time. I was camping but walked down to the town to drink. I can't remember the name of the bar but it's under the restaurant. Then, when I walked back over the bridge (on the biking path) to the campground, right where it forks with the bike trail, I was scared ****less when a light suddenly shines on my face and some guy says "WHAT'RE YOU DOING!??" Apparently a ranger was just standing there in the dark trying to catch campground thieves or something! After composing myself for a second, I said "Uh. I don't drink and drive so I was walking back to my campsite." He says, "Oh yeah, what site?" And I reply, "84. You can join me later if you like."

Peace,
Peter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigpreppa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Clowns don't scare me, but running up on one in the wild, woody yonder might change my thinking.
Yup. I can't imagine what somebody would be doing out there in the middle of a forest-fire fighting area dressed as a creepy clown. Maybe it would make sense to apprehend the clown to see if he didn't start the fire in the first place for a sick sense of humor?
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpreppa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusassoc View Post
Probably a road just on the other side of some brush or something... Wouldn't that figure.
haha yeah possible, but the land was kind of a headland sticking out into a lake, so we assumed any track leading out the other side of the camp would be much the same condition. From the looks of them they had been there a while, maybe they dragged them in when the track was in a better condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post
Wonder what the cage was for??!
There's probably some harmless explanation, like for dogs or something, but we all had a lot of fun thinking up some more interesting theories driving through the bush on the way out!