Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,853 Times in 967 Posts

Advertise Here

at least they were alive. it'd be more upsetting to find a box full of dead puppies on your porch.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,777 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
That is where I adopted my Akita from!
Huge score. Few who have ever had an Akita will settle for any lesser breed Best dogs I have ever had bar none.
Feral cats are the problem out here. I'm fed up and just plant em. Hawks and vultures seem to find them tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
at least they were alive. it'd be more upsetting to find a box full of dead puppies on your porch.
Why is that a good thing? If they were dead all I need to is bury them or lay em out for the hawks and vultures to snack on. Though I suppose dead pups on the porch could be seen as a threat.

I do have to ask why is anyone security especially out in the sticks be so lax that someone can make it to your porch without you knowing about it?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Citater fra...

Thanked 13,695 Times in 4,815 Posts

there is a creek that goes under the road near the edge of my property. People are always dumping things there, household trash, old furniture.. Anyways, last year this mexican guy stopped by and dumped his smelly old couch on me.

Little did he know i put up a game camera. His pickup wasn't exactly hard to find being crome and glitter green, either. Two days later that same couch was sitting on his front porch blocking the door.

His wife was ****ed.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tracker_Buckmann For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
WTF is wrong with people?
Not to offend anyone but sometimes the right thing is the harsh thing. To not do the right thing because it is hard is simply weakness of character. Some may try to mask that with good intentions. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

In addition to the destruction of property, injuring our pets and livestock. Feral cats are the greatest threat to endangered bird species there is. Cats often kill for the joy of it, not of necessity. They encroach on habitat endangering wild indigenous species, like fox, bobcat, lynx to name a few. So by not killing that feral cat or letting a cat go feral contributes to the extinction of a species, wiped from the face of the planet forever.

Yes those that abandon animals are scum bags I would have no objection to abandoning them 200 klicks from civilization.But polite society says it is inappropriate to give scum bags what they justly deserve. Giving rise to the truism that some live only because it is illegal to kill them.

So we are stuck dealing with their sick selfish conduct. Unfortunately the cats have to pay the price. Not to sound like a tree huger but which is the greater sin permitting the destruction of habitat, endangering indigenous species or euthanizing an unwanted mongrel cat?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

As an Animal Control Officer, I deal with these issues EVERY single day! It royally pi$$es me off, too! Both the morons who take their animals out to the country and "dump" them, and the ones who are just plain irresponsible and let their dogs run loose. If the animal are lucky, I find them. I try my best to find the owners, (especially for the ones who are just out for a "run" and get them back home BEFORE they either get into trouble or get hit by a car. If I can't find where the animals belong, THEN I take them to the shelter. They stand a MUCH better chance there, than they do out in the streets or out "in the country". If the animals get caught chasing/injuring/killing livestock, then the livestock owner is perfectly within their rights to kill those animals (state law).

As for the feral cats, when they are causing problems for people, we loan out traps. THe cats get trapped, taken to the shelter, and usually humanely euthanized. I said USUALLY, because most of the feral cats are too wild to be adoptable, although there ARE a few exceptions. These cats are also at VERY high risk of contracting rabies, so if they bite or scratch someone, that person will need to go through the rabies shot series.

We DO try to get animals adopted out, or sent to rescues, but it seems that we fill up faster than we can get animals into homes. Sorry for the rant, but I see this every day, and it's all because people aren't responsible, and treat living creatures like disposable commodities--and that REALLY makes me mad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 20,339 Times in 7,065 Posts

I have to regress and say I have shot a dog or two that showed up looking like Dante's hell all covered with mange and God knows what. I gave them a day or two to leave, then that was that. I figured it was a mercy kill. And I certainly was not going to incur the cost of fixing them.

But never a puppy. I've never been able to bring myself to do a puppy.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 20,339 Times in 7,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
If the animals get caught chasing/injuring/killing livestock, then the livestock owner is perfectly within their rights to kill those animals (state law).
I did not know the law until I talked to a Warden one day.

You can legally shoot a bald eagle, panther, bear, or anything except a human if it is endangering livestock.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post

You can legally shoot a bald eagle, panther, bear, or anything except a human if it is endangering livestock.
Too bad the human is a theif and the animals are just hungry some people just need to be shot!

Murfdog
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 6,640 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savinkov View Post
(1). Call the cops. Even if you're 100% convinced they won't do anything, etc. etc. etc.
CALL THE COPS and make them come out and take a complaint. Take pictures of the
puppies and provide them to the cops. The animal control officer who visited me when
I complained, was ready to take pictures himself (he uploaded the ones from my camera).
Call the cops EVERY TIME it happens.

(2). Take pictures of the puppies and post them on Craig's List and (if you're mad
enough) make color posters and post them around. Get the name and phone number
for the local Animal Control officer and put that on the posters. There may be a reward
for arrest of people who abandon animals, either from the Government or a private
organization. Post the reward information if that's the case.

The cops LOVE to arrest the mother****ers who abandon animals. If whoever did
it has run out of luck, they're toast, and it will cost them A LOT - including possible
jail time.
When I lived on the farm, we ALWAYS had a problem with people dropping off their dogs. I'm not a "dog person" (even though I have one), so I got plenty of 300+yd, moving target practice. I made a sport out of it and would get in my Sniper hide and shoot across the hollow to the side of the next hill at stray dogs. I eventually put signs up along the road:

..."If you drop a dog off here, hoping "it will find a good home on the farm", you are dropping it off to be shot ON THE SPOT! It will not find a home, only a place to take a "Dirt nap". Do NOT let your dog wonder the woods, it will be dispatched quickly, and if I know who you are, I will come to your house to collect money for the round I used"....

I cheated myself a bit as very few people dropped off their dogs after that.

For some reason, cats were never a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,493 Times in 2,832 Posts

I live in a semi-rural area so we don't get many dogs dropped off round here, but we do have a lot of brave cats (we're in a dog area). I'm currently feeding one youngster but I suspect his from the houses at the back of me, they haven't bothered to put a collar on him - duh! His there at night and first thing in the early morning so I think they come home chuck him out at night and then let him in frst thing. My thinking is why have a cat in the first place if your not going to take care of it.

We have had dogs dumped on us by friends, usually puppies when they havent thought about it and knew we were big softies. My last three have been from a rescue center. My current a Cairn x hates cats, thus I cant take our new cat in the house.

The problem we have here in the UK is back yard breeders and puppy farms and so even the so called no-kill shelters are beginning to get over whelmed so any dog that is slightly agressive goes for the chop!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
What is the philosophical difference between a feral hog piglet straying onto your yard versus a puppy being dumped? Or a woodchuck decimating your garden versus a cat? Just because it comes from "nature" it is more acceptable for it to die? Or because it was once a domesticated animal it is sacrosanct?

Nuisance animals are nuisance animals. I know, it sounds cruel. Know what's more cruel? Telling your children that there's no food this month because the puppy that was dumped at your house dug up the garden or killed your chickens.
I am of the same mindset a nuisance animal is just that. the OP should have saved the gas and walked to the nearest creek with a burlap bag and given it a toss

most people will think thats cruel but you can't even go to a livestock auction these days with an unlocked trailer and not have someone trying to load a horse in it while your bidding on a cow.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,265 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote:

I've lost lambs to eagles, but I'd never shoot one.

Other than that, I do shoot pests and I do shoot pets that folks have abandoned.
Most times you can still see that they had worn a collar.

City folks should know that farmers shoot stray dogs.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
"HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG"

Strays sometimes form packs around here and harm livestock, carry diseases etc. We shoot first, dont even ask questions!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypony38 View Post
Strays sometimes form packs around here and harm livestock, carry diseases etc. We shoot first, dont even ask questions!!!!!!!
actually had to deal with that the other day there were two mangy dogs running deer when i was out in the back putting in fenceposts seen a whole lot more deer around since i killed those critters ad fewer chickens disappeared
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:

Not to get to far of topic. In what state? In Washington lethal force is justified in the defense of self, of others, of property (including livestock), to stop a felony, (including the killing stealing or harming of livestock) and to stop a fleeing felon. You may want to talk to LEO or your AG regarding what is permitted for human predators on private property as that tends to be outside a games wardens realm of responsibility and area of expertise.

I like animals even feral cats and stray dogs more than any thieving scum sucking fecal maggot. A malicious human predator intent on doing harm to me or molesting my property can expect no mercy tolerance or understanding from me and will receive the harshest merciless possible response from me permitted by law.

IMHO some loss of livestock to natural indigenous predators is the price of doing business. We after all moved onto their turf so either prevent it or accept it. Anyone shooting an eagle, cougar or bear because they are to stupid to secure their livestock is a moron at best. Makes me absolutely rabid when I hear about some yuppie urbanite moving into a wilderness area than wants to exterminate all the dangerous cougars because they are a threat to fifi
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,215 Times in 607 Posts

Out here the locals stole 2 of my dogs. meanwhile there's dogs running around wild because nobody feeds them, and still they claim they are their dogs. All they do is eat up peoples gardens and in my case try to eat the chickens. This year I'm going to have to shoot some.
It's getting scary because what is 1 was to contract rabies?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
"HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG"

Default they are scary and dangerous.

my kids and i were out riding horses one afternoon and came up on a pack of wild dogs that had downed a deer, they tried to charge the horses...... lets just say they wont charge at any more.... just thankful none off the horses freaked and the kids were old enough to help me deal with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
actually had to deal with that the other day there were two mangy dogs running deer when i was out in the back putting in fenceposts seen a whole lot more deer around since i killed those critters ad fewer chickens disappeared
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
"HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG"

Default dont wait till its too late.

they dont have to contract rabies to be dangerous! If they get hungry enough they will adapt to the food that is available and get more aggressive.... I wouldnt wait until something bad happened to take action. I would get out and do some preventative action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife View Post
Out here the locals stole 2 of my dogs. meanwhile there's dogs running around wild because nobody feeds them, and still they claim they are their dogs. All they do is eat up peoples gardens and in my case try to eat the chickens. This year I'm going to have to shoot some.
It's getting scary because what is 1 was to contract rabies?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
"HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG"

Wild dogs are more dangerous than coyotes, and wolves...... They are not afraid of humans! they will try to avoid you but they are not afraid!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM

My grandparents (also neighbors) growing up had a garage next to their house. One day they went outside and found a large empty box. They opened up the garage and saw cats everywhere. We called around and no shelter would take them. These cats had to have been feral, because they were pretty difficult to catch. They were all mangy and didn't look good.

My grandparents couldn't have all these cats around. They harassed their cat and tried to beat it up. Well, we ended up catching all 14 cats. Yes, 14 of them! It was pretty difficult catching all those feral cats. Once you got a bunch of them in a box and tried to add another, two would jump out. We ended up boxing them up in 2 or 3 boxes and dropped them off at a few old abandoned barns. My grandfather didn't have the heart to shoot them.