Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gun powder mondow Firearms General Discussion 10 12-15-2014 06:38 PM
Powder keg. xtra fox Political News and Discussion 21 10-27-2014 06:43 AM
Soylent: a meal replacement superfood shake ioda006 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37 06-27-2014 03:49 AM
Pan powder versus charge powder amounts sailinghudson25 Black powder 6 08-21-2013 11:07 AM
Living off Chlorella & Spirulina Algae? [superfood] HeavyTakeMusic Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 12-17-2012 09:27 AM
Is popcorn cheddar powder the same stuff as dried cheese powder? Eggs'nRoses Food and water 9 02-16-2012 08:35 AM
Superfood: euglena Zarathustra Edible & Non-Edible Plants 5 03-01-2011 01:47 PM
Obama's Green Czar -- Why No Green Jobs Yet? lockjaw Controversial News and Alternative Politics 3 07-30-2009 10:23 AM

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 474 Posts
Default green superfood powder

Advertise Here

Got a question for all the health nuts here on SB.
I was at Hi-health and they had raw superfood powder, it was made by Juvo.
Is there a good brand of superfood powder that you would recommend.
Thanks from the sandcrab
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,003 Posts

I'd recommend not wasting your money on gimmicks like that. Eat food that is fresh, and only stuff you can recognize by sight. Do what mommy always said and eat your ****ing vegetables and drink your water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,189 Times in 899 Posts

I agree with the above. There is nothing that can compare to the power of live fresh food, especially a dehydrated powder. A lot of times there are additives in these gimmick foods.

Someone that works with my wife recently turned her on to Herbalife. What a crock. She brought home this bottle of Aloe concentrate and in the ingredients list were Potassium Sorbate (preservative) Sodium Benzoate (preservative) Sucralose, and Maltodextrin.

I pointed to the aloe plant on the window sill and asked her if any of those ingredients were in that. And you can get aloe juice without all that crap in it.

I wouldn't waste my money.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,448 Posts

Soylent Green is.... !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACKJAW44 View Post
I agree with the above. There is nothing that can compare to the power of live fresh food, especially a dehydrated powder. A lot of times there are additives in these gimmick foods.

Someone that works with my wife recently turned her on to Herbalife. What a crock. She brought home this bottle of Aloe concentrate and in the ingredients list were Potassium Sorbate (preservative) Sodium Benzoate (preservative) Sucralose, and Maltodextrin.

I pointed to the aloe plant on the window sill and asked her if any of those ingredients were in that. And you can get aloe juice without all that crap in it.

I wouldn't waste my money.
I rescued my wife from HerbaLife when she started to get reeled in. Good call with the common sense test about ingredients in an aloe plant.

I took their protein meal replacement powder and compared it to some basic whey protein and, with the HerbaLife stuff, you paid twice as much for half the macro-nutrients. When the wally-world bargain bin product is better than yours, something ain't right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 06:00 PM
silenced

Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,522 Posts

some of the super food powders are great and full of nutrition

to my knowledge juvo is a good co, raw organic and they have mushrooms where the others dont. they are in a broke down way to where its more readly absorbed by the body. other co's use probiotics and enzymes to further break down

you want to look for mainly raw and organic.

juvo
health force naturals
health warrior
amazing grasses (also makes meal replacement packages of super food powders)
Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 PM

Ok although yes I agree that a lot of superfood powders are pointless, I personally take one called passion projects complex green (i buy it off their website) and i can honestly say this one really is worth it. Its raw, organic, it has NO crap in it like fillers, additives, sugar etc, its low GI, low cal, good for people with diabetes or allergies (eg ceoliacs like myself) and its not just a few powdered vegetables, its a full formula designed by a famous biochemist and its won a business award for product excellence so personally i really like this brand (plus the company is super nice and ethical with all their products).
Just looking at the box now it says it has over 81 ingredients, and has "protein, chloropyll, antioxidants, herbs, mushrooms, probiotics, digestive enzymes, fibre, fatty and amino acids, and vitamins and minerals- in a base of raw, organic, freeze-dried vegetables and fruits." Because its freeze dried instead of JUICE POWDER (which i've found all other brands are) it actually has all the nutrients still in it (where as the juice powder you're basically just drinking flavour).

Honestly this product has been sooooo bloody helpful for me I take it in the morning in a smoothie as breakfast (it actually tastes great) and i feel so good to start my day cause it makes you feel kinda cleaned out and fresh. I work as a fitness trainer and i have all my clients on it now too because i love it so much (hence why im ranting on about it here too lolol) - I just am sick of all the bull**** gimicky powders out there its sooo hard to find a great one, so now I would never change to a different powder after trying complex green. Anyway yeah thats my five cents hope that helps xx
Old 03-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Gitter Done!

Thanked 2,535 Times in 957 Posts

I have tried many of the different powders, but as others mentioned the organic is better. I thought it was too much for what vitamins you get out of it.

If you don't get fresh veggies or fruits in your diet due to long work hours and short breaks or like the idea of getting a bunch of things in one scoop, it works too.

The major objective is look at the nutrition it gives you. Does it give you a lot of vitamins and minerals? If its only a few, look for ones that give you 20 or more vitamins so you get your moneys worth.

I have 2 different cans of super greens and super berry whey that I maybe took 4 scoops out of. They will sit for another few years because they don't have the vitamins and amino acids the other power shakes have.
Everyone has their favorite, but if I had a choice between a canned veggie or powder, I would take the powder.

Canned veggie like green beans has 4 percent Iron and maybe one other vitamin. Then some have no protiens since everything nutritious was cooked or radiated out of it. So powders are handy.

I will say I did like the taste of both the super greens and the super berry whey. I just wish they had more power packed in each scoop.

Just my two cents. I think as long as you are getting what you want out of powders they are great. Plus its a great survival food for when those greens are not always available. Might even be great to add to soups during shtf.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,552 Posts

i know i'll catch a lot of flack with this but, if these things are so good, why not have the FDA certify them? it sure would be great advertising and would probably increase their sales considerably.
i've never understood why they don't get FDA certification on any of these supplements. especially after all those bottles of supplements were pulled from shelves so recently. i mean, if your stuff is really that good and you get it certified by the CCOF, then why not the FDA?
just wondering.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 1,907 Times in 623 Posts

I dehydrate a lot of what I grow in my garden, including greens: Kale, collards, chard, and mustard. Chives too. Then after they're dry and crispy I run them through a screen so they become a coarse powder. They keep like that more or less forever. And I'd say they would qualify as a superfood that you could put in a smoothie if you want (maybe not the chives). I've made cucumber powder too, which I suppose could also qualify.

I have also dried heavy greens like collards and kale in bigger pieces, turning them into chips. Most of us here have probably heard of Kale chips; usually they're made in the oven, but I think they're better on a dehydrator. I put seasoned salt on them, and either garlic powder or chili powder or sometimes curry powder if I want to remember what it's like to stay in a low rent motel. And of course I spray them with olive oil. They're not bad. It's easy to overdo the spice because I forget that they're going to get a lot smaller.

There's an old saying that too many cooks spoil the superfood (or something like that). Be the one and only cook and your superfood should be good.

As far as protein powder, I have no ideas on that. Go kill a squirrel and cook it.
The Following User Says Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Crazy

Thanked 4,292 Times in 1,531 Posts

I would rather eat a hot dog out of a homeless man's but crack.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,019 Posts

I would say eat organic vegetables and if you must eat meat, make sure it is free-range and not highly processed. A lot of the supplements are marketed by people who just want to make money.