Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Prepared

Default Skeet Targets

Advertise Here

Have a quick question for you skeet shooters about the targets. My brother and I just recently started shooting skeets not professionally just in the back yard for fun and my question is are the targets bad for his pond water? We have been shooting them in his backyard but hate picking the mess up so we wanted to start shooting over his pond, but we dont want to pollute the water or hurt the fish in anyway. Also the targets we have been buying are the cheap ones you can get at wally world. Any info would be appreciated.

We do have a range close to us, but kinda just like the relaxing feel of being on his property. Nothing against the range but some skeet shooters act kinda snobby(not all, so not picking on them) if you dont use what they think is the proper equipment. I only know this because I am a member there and here them rag on people that dont supposedly do things the way they do and Im only in it to see of I can hit the damm target with my pump shotgun.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

all modern clay is enviromentaly safe. just realize that you will be adding to the silt levels. if you shoot enough you would most likly have to drain and dredge every decade or so but again depending on how often you shoot. its the lead you have to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,921 Posts

It's safe, depending on your rainfall, might take a year or 2 and maybe longer if you live in a dry place for them to degrade.

From the way it sounds, no more shooting than you do, I wouldn't worry about the lead, plus there's always steel shot.

Get the smallest size shot for best results like 7 1/2, 8 or 9
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Trapper

Shooting clays in your backyard is a whole different ball game from shooting skeet, trap 5 strand or sporting clays at a range. These are actual organized sports with their own sets of rules and scoring. I would recommend trying to find a copy of the general rules for the one you'd like to try before going to a range.

As for equipment, some of the best skeet shooters I've seen shot pump shotguns especially when switching between guages (pumps are a ton cheaper to do this with than doubles).
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Prepared

Thanks all, and Supermag I do realize that what Im doing is nothing like what skeet shooters actually do. I just wanna go in the back yard and not be criticized if I decide to just have fun. Most of the skeet shooters I know are very serious about what they do and theres nothing wrong with that and I do know if I asked for there guidance they would give me all the help I could possibly want.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Trapper

I understand completely, shooting a few blue rock in the backyard is a blast and I've done it from time to time. Just wasn't sure if you already knew about the different games and wanted to help keep you from going in and possibly making a bad impression by thinking it was just fun shooting. I meant no disrespect, just had no idea of your knowledge background.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post: