Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Recent Blog:
reading since 2008

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndhunter View Post
Around my house any aggression by a dog (any animal for that matter) gets them a 1 way trip to the sink hole where they get a dose of lead poisoning.

I had bought a dog from a guy that was a good bear/hog dog. I was excited to get the dog and didn't ask enough questions. The dog was fine with me feeding him as I would pet him BEFORE I put the food in his bowl. My son asked to feed him one day and I opened the gate and was standing there when he dumped the food in and THEN tried to pet him. He snapped at my son and in the blink of an eye he had my son backed against the panel teeth showing and hair raised. Without a thought tackled the dog and he bit my hand so I choked him down with his collar until he let go. When I turned around my son was so shocked he hadn't moved and when I said "son get out of here" he just looked at me for a second and left the kennel crying. That dog learned the hard way that there is only 1 time to pull that stunt. I lost $1,000 and he took a dirt nap. That is the only dog that I've had be that aggressive.

All the dogs that I have raised (and are still on the farm) are calm, collected, and even thou they will fight another animal to the death I have no worries with them around my kids.
you my friend are an idiot, you certainly need further training on catch dogs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xm193 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetwork View Post
I've mentioned this before, I think its in the genetics to be "pre-wired" for certain traits in dogs.

Hunting dogs hunt from birth in one way or another depending on how their bred (retriever,pointer,scent hunt, ect). Try to teach a lab to naturally herd livestock...the back and forth heeling, bringing a stray back into the herd, heading to turn a cow around...its just not in their make up. They hunt, they retrieve thats just what we made them to do. Now my McNab does all the cow herding stuff naturally, i just had to give her pointers on what I wanted and how I wanted it done for me. Kinda like pointing a gun. A gun knows what to do, its my job to point and pull correctly.

What's a guard dogs job? What's its job been for eons? How many generations of human involved selective breeding went into that dogs make-up? How many generations went into the creation of "pit fighting" dogs? Sadly the owners still breed agression into pit type dogs, that hasn't stopped. Fighting dogs do exactly what we made them to do. Why is it such a shock when a dog created to have a instinct for aggression show it under stress? Are you shocked when the bullet from my gun hits where it's supposed to? Same thing.

Now a dog is a animal, and like all animals, and even us humans are unpredictable under stressors. I've seen the biggest toughest ex football players puke and bawl like children during big storms at sea. I've seen scrawny inner city nerds dive off the side of a boat to pull someone twice their size to safety. It's unpredictable to a degree....but a pure bred dog, or any dog with a pre-desposed genetic make-up for aggression will take less stress for instinct to to take over and act aggressive, or sadly deadly.

Just about every animal we have had our hands involved in its breeding can be this way. If you kept a dangerous bull, and bred him to mean cows you will get a mean calf when it grows up. It's just the way it works. -WW

ps. Txflyboy..its that a HanginTree, next to your heeler (you know what I mean, the dog)?
Thats just a crap load of wrong.

All dogs are born to be part of a pack, and domestic dogs don't give a damn if their the Alpha or Omega, as long as they know where they stand and that position doesnt change. Breed has nothing to do with it (apart from the obvious factor that a 60kg dog can do more damage than a 6kg dog).

When you introduce a new member of the pack, be it a stuffed toy or a baby, then that threatens the dogs position.

More to follow.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

I used to work with a guy who had a part time job in a pet store. They had a standing rule-NEVER sell a chow to a family with children.
Petie on the Little Rascals was a Pitt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wootie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Freakshow minus the tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon115 View Post
Large dogs are weapons and should be treated as such.
My dogs won't fit in the gun safe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freakshowfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post

I hope you either dont have two of the same thermometers or if, like me you do, one is labelled "human mouth", the other "dogs bum"
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I love this forum

freedom thats why.....
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Steel True Blade Straight

Thanked 1,016 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
Thats just a crap load of wrong.

All dogs are born to be part of a pack, and domestic dogs don't give a damn if their the Alpha or Omega, as long as they know where they stand and that position doesnt change. Breed has nothing to do with it (apart from the obvious factor that a 60kg dog can do more damage than a 6kg dog).

When you introduce a new member of the pack, be it a stuffed toy or a baby, then that threatens the dogs position.

More to follow.
Well, I guess there is no need for breeding programs? Just throw that out the door? All dogs are the same. Funny how for some reason most of the "aggresive breed" owners are trying to breed the agression out? Look at the Chesapeake Bay retriever, breeders have been working out the aggression for years. Guess how, by culling, or not continuing to breed aggressive animals together. Why bother right?
Why is there even specific guard dog breeds when just any old cheap mutt can do the job? Do you think they are bred to be passive and whimpering? Guard Dogs, War Dogs, fighting dogs, why not just use mutts if all dogs are the same? Why don't they just use milk cows in the arena's for bull fights, for that matter?

I watch selective breeding programs in use everyday on a purebred cattle ranch. If all cattle were the same why are there different breeds? Just because some look different? Is that what you think breeding is about, just appearence?

All domestic animals have been specifically picked out for certain traits the owners wanted. Some in appearance and size, some for endurance, and many for temperment. Its been this way ever since you liked your neighbors pup, and wanted one just like it. Or you wanted a dog that was just like your neighbors, but needed a little more bite in yours, so you get your neighbors great dog and get him to breed his dog to your other neighbors who does have a little more bite, and you want the pup.(I'm speaking about cow dogs) I raise and train hunting dogs and cattle dogs. This is how we do it. Mix a little of this and a little of that to get what you want. It takes generations. But a litter a year, a new mix here and there and pretty soon folks are asking to buy your dogs. Genetics 101.

I will agree to disagree, Sir. But to turn a frown upside down I will give you they are indeed pack animals and introducing a new member can cause a pecking order situation, and sometimes a attempt by the pack to keep the genetics of the new animal from ever being introduced (by killing it). That happens all the time in nature, heck chimps do it, chickens do, elephants do, its not uncommmon at all. Just throw a new bull into the bull pen and see what happens....-WW

ps. Weird how all the pure breed cattle people are focusing on EPD's and docility scores? Just wierd. How many different breeds went into the Queensland Heelers? Why bother right? Why is it very advised to not have a chow breed if you have children? Even by the chow breeders? And for the record I appreciate all dogs breeds. But I don't plan on having a pet rattlesnake either. A snake is a snake, a bear is a bear, and a scorpion is a scorpion...they do what they are made to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wetwork For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM
Hiker

It's all on the owner. I have a blue nose pit bull, a good friend owns a red nose pit bull, ex girlfriend owns 2 pit bulls, and a whole medley of other people I know own rottweilers or other "dangerous" dogs. I have not seen any one of these dogs even nip at someone, much less bite them.
The people who want to get these dogs banned should be taken out back and shot. Through the face. With a knife. A dull one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to illegal_immigrant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,262 Posts

I just watched the video with the Father of that baby that was killed. Its not all on the owner. He said that the dog had never had any behavior problems and had been wonderful around the baby since it was born. They were in close contact, slept near each other, etc. The dog seemed to be the perfect family pet until the one time he just lashed out and killed the baby. By the way, this all happened right in front of the grandmother, so the dog and baby were not left alone.

We had a similar incident occur in Michigan last year, its very sad.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2011.php

31 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2011. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 650 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 71% (22). Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

In 2008, about 316,200 ED visits involved a dog bite, a rate of 103.9 visits per 100,000 population. Approximately 9,500 hospital stays involved a dog bite, a rate of 3.1 stays per 100,000 population
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anne36 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,260 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne36 View Post
I just watched the video with the Father of that baby that was killed. Its not all on the owner. He said that the dog had never had any behavior problems and had been wonderful around the baby since it was born. They were in close contact, slept near each other, etc. The dog seemed to be the perfect family pet until the one time he just lashed out and killed the baby. By the way, this all happened right in front of the grandmother, so the dog and baby were not left alone.

We had a similar incident occur in Michigan last year, its very sad.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2011.php

31 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2011. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 650 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 71% (22). Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

In 2008, about 316,200 ED visits involved a dog bite, a rate of 103.9 visits per 100,000 population. Approximately 9,500 hospital stays involved a dog bite, a rate of 3.1 stays per 100,000 population
Pitbulls make up More than 90% of all Abused Dogs, let's Not Twist Data.

Fact: If You Will "LEAVE the DOG ALONE", he Won't Bite You.

Can You HEAR ME, NOW?

Most people are Too Stupid to have children, Much More, they possess the

Arrogant Assumption that after seeing an episode of Lassie,

they can Raise POWERFUL animals that THEY have NO Understanding Of, and

have No Idea how to communicate with. Beating a young Dog, any Dog because

he can't Read Your Mind is just Phucking STUPID!!!

Try it with a human and see where it gets you.

Your suppose to be SMARTER than the Dog!

MOST PEOPLE are NOT!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 19,493 Times in 6,889 Posts

Pits just scare me. They have that 'trigger' that if you ever pull it, look out.

I saw a pit catch dog grab a cow by the nose one time. That cow ran clean across the pasture with that dog latched on and looked like a windmill. She only got him off when she ran into a pond and tried to drown him. Even then, he swam towards her wanting more.

Scary ****. He tore the **** out of that cow's nose too.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Steel True Blade Straight

Thanked 1,016 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
Pits just scare me. They have that 'trigger' that if you ever pull it, look out.

I saw a pit catch dog grab a cow by the nose one time. That cow ran clean across the pasture with that dog latched on and looked like a windmill. She only got him off when she ran into a pond and tried to drown him. Even then, he swam towards her wanting more.

Scary ****. He tore the **** out of that cow's nose too.
Your other pup looks like a HangingTree cowdog...that's what I was getting at (You Texan's....say the word "hangin" and a rope appears) and if you had one he-he you'd be writing a story bout a hangintree cowdog, and not a pit. he-he. "Pits" a generic term anyway...it covers so many different breeds its sad. Even I the had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier "Mattie" as a pet. Then the military banned them on govn't bases. I was very aware of what I had and what it was, and was very very carefull. . My next pup was a Queensland blue heeler, followed by a chessie (the best hunting dog/guard dog ever designed by man and All American I might add), my current pup is a McNab/border collie cross. Rockstar cow dog!!! Saves me more time on the ranch than I could ever explain. I had German Shorthairs and Golden Retrievers and mutt cowdogs growing up.-WW
The Following User Says Thank You to Wetwork For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Vigilant

Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal_immigrant View Post
The people who want to get these dogs banned should be taken out back and shot. Through the face. With a knife. A dull one.
Why???????????
The Following User Says Thank You to Karnus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 AM
it is what it is

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
I'll never understand it. Not around kids.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/29...est=latestnews

Mastiff/Rodesian mix kills one year old at family's birthday party. What a tragedy.
are you saying these people trained there dog to kill kids?then i would change the topic to why to people train there dogs to kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I love this forum

I love my two Rhodesian Ridgeback's, great dogs and fiercely protective.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Silver Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmParabellum View Post
are you saying these people trained there dog to kill kids?then i would change the topic to why to people train there dogs to kill.

Yeah, the title of the thread kind of sucked. I didn't think that one through.

And I still can't think of a good title as to why you would have lethal dogs around kids. And by lethal I mean a dog with the size and bite pressure capable of killing a small child with a single bite.

I guess it's kind of hypocritical because you could say our Aussie heeler's could do it for sure on an infant, but I've never heard of a case of that happening. Not like a berserk massive sudden attack and clamping on and not let go like you see with other breeds.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM

the real question is why do people have kids? i mean they are so vulnerable. it's just asking for trouble to have kids. no one should have kids unless they are licensed and registered to have them. and i think a 4 year college degree should be required to throw a kid's birthday party.

j/k. that's not my real opinion. but it makes just as much sense as the "taste's great" vs. "less filling" arguments.

my dad told me once that life isn't fair. some people are going to die horrible deaths. do what you can to not be involved. i just turned 6 when he told me this. that was a great birthday party. i got a chowchow.
The Following User Says Thank You to zeddsdead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Silver Wings

OK OK, it was a stupid ****ing question, OP, whatever you want to call it...

I was ****ed off reading the story about the kid getting killed.

Believe me, if I had mod powers, I'd drive a stake through the heart of this thread and kill this mthrfkr like dracula.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 36,628 Times in 12,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddsdead View Post
the real question is why do people have kids? i mean they are so vulnerable. it's just asking for trouble to have kids. no one should have kids unless they are licensed and registered to have them. and i think a 4 year college degree should be required to throw a kid's birthday party.

j/k. that's not my real opinion. but it makes just as much sense as the "taste's great" vs. "less filling" arguments.

my dad told me once that life isn't fair. some people are going to die horrible deaths. do what you can to not be involved. i just turned 6 when he told me this. that was a great birthday party. i got a chowchow.
Did that chow ever snap?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

I am sorry but just because you have a dog doesn't make it a dangerous or killer dog.
and just because your dog does something aggressive doesn't make the owner a **** bag

fact is the kid could have done something to trigger a natural predatory response or maby the dog was trying to play

they ddnt say anything about training the dog to fight or anything of the sorts so my guess it is just some freak accident that ended up killing a frail little child and 1yr olds are pretty frail my 4 mo old puppy prol could kill one trying to play

now dangerous dogs act would be ones trained or conditioned to be aggressive like mine is being trained to track and attack on command that would be different if it ate a kid but I dont see that being the case here just someone has a big dog that gave a kid a shake we do not know the circumstances of the attack

SO stop sensationalising it