Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,201 Times in 434 Posts
Default A little more stealth for my vehicle... (lights out)

Advertise Here

I spent most of my weekend tackling a couple of projects that I had been considering for a while.

My daily driver is a newer style truck. It had crossed my mind a couple of times about the stealth of my truck or lack thereof. My truck has "constant on" headlights when cranked, a light sensor that adjusts the brightness of my dash and accessories, other various lights and of course break lights. How could I possibly get anywhere without the lights giving me away? (other than push the truck)

After studying wiring diagrams extensively, I set out to make a "black-out" option. Some of the wiring was easy to access, some took a bit of disassembling of the dash.

After all was said and done, I had the headlights/running lights, fog lights, break lights, license plate illumination lights, dash sensor, and all interior lights wired to a multi-rocker switch panel (to control them individually), and the switch panel run to a master switch (to shut everything off at once). Of course all of these switches are out of plain site and have covers to prevent accidental activation/deactivation.

I should have probably done this to the primary BOV first, but that is my next weekend project.

Anyone have other stealthy tips?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 PM

tint windows, get security numbers etched in the glass in case of theft, there are some nice options for locking boxes for inside of newer trucks, don't add any stickers that could brand as anything but a sheeple (S&W, Gadsden Snake, Molon Labe) maybe an Obama 2012 sticker would tell the world you have no guns, extra food, or sense of personal freedom...oops too much?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ala5ka For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,857 Times in 2,881 Posts

Some way to cut down on reflection. This doesn't make your truck stealth so much while driving it, but it does help when you park it in the woods. The glass and chrome are especially reflective - naturally, and can be seen miles away (I have often seen houses in the hills tens of miles away when the morning or evening sun reflects off their windows).

Some people advocate a spray of light oil then a "dusting", but that can wash off - which is the idea, but if it is raining it makes your prep moot. Another idea that is more permanent is the ability to sand blast any reflective surfaces - but that takes time, which you may not have. Some people go ahead and bite the bullet and paint their BOVs with a non-reflective paint, some even going so far as to use bedliner.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
...all out of bubble gum

I may tint the windows. The primary BOV already has flat paint and flat black primer instead of chrome. My daily driver... can't make myself cover the chrome.

As for stickers there are none of any type. I actually find it a bit funny to see people with "Ruger", "S&W", or other gun logos on their vehicles. It just screams "break in to me FIRST". Reminds me of the guys back in high school with the big "KENWOOD" logo across their windshield, and they guys wondered why someone broke in to their car and stole their car stereo equipment.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 AM

Paint them Dark colors ( or have the chrome bedlined) and add black out lights( pretty cheap if you look for used ones).
The Following User Says Thank You to 911regular For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Target Shooter

How to make your headlights invisible:

1. Remove your head- and taillights
2. Put on a black pantyhose over the housings
3. Reinstall the lights

Glare and shine of the lights is removed while obtaining full function.
Also called poor man tinting...
The Following User Says Thank You to weasel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Curmudgeon/Raconteur

Thanked 3,870 Times in 1,740 Posts

Coupla Tricks I put In My Vehicles, but they are either Security, or ANTI-STEALTH.

SECURITY: I put a Magnetic Reed Switch somewhere that You wouldn't think to look, and put it in series to either the Start Solenoid Actuate wire, or in series with the Fuse Block to Ignition. Places like: Inside the GloveBox or Winshield Pillar by Passenger Door. Then, you use a small magnet on the outside to close the reed switch and complete the circuit. Remove the Magnet, and Your car becomes an Unresponsive Lump!

ANTI-STEALTH: I Link the Low and High Beams so that if I want High beams, I get Both Sets of FIlaments on at the same time. I cross-Link the Air Horns with the Headlights, Foglights, and Driving Lights, so that when I hit the Horn, Every Forward-Facing Lamp on the Vehicle Lights up! Yeah, It is Me, and I am Wanting You To Pay Attention! Defeat switch included.

I used regular Relays on the Cross-Link, so that if I just want to give a little "Bip" on the Horn Button, it illuminates the Lamps without Sounding the Horns.

Reminder - You will have to Know how to figure out your Loom, and how to use a Blocking Diode. Otherwise, when You turn on Your headlights, you will get the Horns, Too!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
tint windows, get security numbers etched in the glass in case of theft, there are some nice options for locking boxes for inside of newer trucks, don't add any stickers that could brand as anything but a sheeple (S&W, Gadsden Snake, Molon Labe) maybe an Obama 2012 sticker would tell the world you have no guns, extra food, or sense of personal freedom...oops too much?
You have to draw a line somewhere. LMAO
The Following User Says Thank You to Robphillips00 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenurse View Post
I spent most of my weekend tackling a couple of projects that I had been considering for a while.

My daily driver is a newer style truck. It had crossed my mind a couple of times about the stealth of my truck or lack thereof. My truck has "constant on" headlights when cranked, a light sensor that adjusts the brightness of my dash and accessories, other various lights and of course break lights. How could I possibly get anywhere without the lights giving me away? (other than push the truck)

After studying wiring diagrams extensively, I set out to make a "black-out" option. Some of the wiring was easy to access, some took a bit of disassembling of the dash.

After all was said and done, I had the headlights/running lights, fog lights, break lights, license plate illumination lights, dash sensor, and all interior lights wired to a multi-rocker switch panel (to control them individually), and the switch panel run to a master switch (to shut everything off at once). Of course all of these switches are out of plain site and have covers to prevent accidental activation/deactivation.

I should have probably done this to the primary BOV first, but that is my next weekend project.

No sure if you've tried this but it's a simple way I found to keep my lights off on a car that I used to have, not sure if it will work on ur truck but for free it's worth a shot. Before you start the truck engage the parking brake a tiny tiny amount just enough that it makes the truck think ur parking brake is on. On the car I had I could have the parking brake on just barely 1 click which wouldn't actually engage the brake, but it would let me keep my headlights off when I was driving if I needed to. Not a total black out but would help if it works on your truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZSrvr For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Hmm I might have missed something but I got an 03 Avalanche and an 05 f-250 not new new persay but all the lights auto on. Both of those I can turn the light switch to the off position well the 05 all the way right than all the way left and it will turn my headlights off till I flip it back to auto. There should also be a gauge dimmer again both mine have that and all the way it's very dark all the way my over head light comes on. I don't have a regular work around for tail lights.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,580 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSrvr View Post
No sure if you've tried this but it's a simple way I found to keep my lights off on a car that I used to have, not sure if it will work on ur truck but for free it's worth a shot. Before you start the truck engage the parking brake a tiny tiny amount just enough that it makes the truck think ur parking brake is on. On the car I had I could have the parking brake on just barely 1 click which wouldn't actually engage the brake, but it would let me keep my headlights off when I was driving if I needed to. Not a total black out but would help if it works on your truck.
Hey, I tried the parking brake trick on my chevy van and it works great!

Was a pain at the "drive-in" to warm up the van and have the lights come on. outstanding.......thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM

If you locate your auto light sensor, you can put a resistor in place of the sensor to defeat the auto lights.

Daytime running lights can be disabled by pulling a fuse or bending a tab on a fuse sometimes depending on your vehicle.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Trapper

Kev
Anti theft measure
2 160db sirens in each headrest
2 160db sirens under the dash
and 4 160db sirens in the sunvisors

There is no way in hell you can stay in the cab with the sirens going even with hearing protection! even if you are deaf!!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,440 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenurse View Post

Have a switch to shut off everything but left side head and tail lights. At night it makes u look like a motorcycle.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Tinted windows are a huge thing for me. On any vehicle I own, that is one of the first things I have done. The privacy factor is a very great improvement and it looks very nice as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSrvr View Post
Thanks for the tip. I had already tried it because I used that trick with my old Chevy. Sadly, it doesn't work on a Tundra.