Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Advertise Here

Make sure you are not taking advice from arm chair generals who have spent their entire life living in a "good neighborhood" driving a green car, and worrying about subjects only the privileges can worry about.

There is no safe time to travel! Dealers, Pimps Hoes, and crocked cops are out at night!
Control yourself and stop looking like prey!

Does you heart beat race when you see Pete selling drugs on the corner?
Do you have the urge to stare at a woman selling herself for 5.00 and a warm half drinking soda?
Why is there a crazy White dude in the hood that no one messes with? Because everyone accepts him and knows win or loose he will bite your ear off and smash your skull in if you funk with him!
This site and others has suggestions to stop looking like a visitor.
Once again do not take advice from arm chair generals
Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,239 Times in 737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
In my situation, I live in Houston. Houston is a huge city, not just in population, but in geographic size. And, I live on one side of town and commute nearly 50 miles to the other side.

(Oh and for those who will advise me, "Move closer to work, or work closer to home"--Gotcha Thanks in advance for your advice.)

A further challenge, here in Houston is the way the neighborhoods are mixed. Most large city have wide sections of town that are bad places. In Houston, the neighborhoods can change drastically almost block to block. So mapping a safe route is difficult.

And, if my situation wasn't complicated enough, where I work, no guns are allowed. At all. And vehicles are routinely searched.
They search your vehicle... wow, your situation seems like it really sucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,326 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEyes View Post
They search your vehicle... wow, your situation seems like it really sucks.
Well, it is certainly full of challenges.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 6,341 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
I am looking for some ideas and so I am bringing this up to the most creative survivalists I know: You guys on this forum.

For those of us who will have to move through a large urban areas from work to home, or BOL, if SHTF, what are some good ideas on how to do it safely?

What are the pros and cons of moving during the day versus moving during the night?

What are places to avoid?

What are safe places to hide/hole up to eat and rest?

Is is better to move through residential areas or commercial areas?

I am looking for some good tips and tricks of the trade here.
There is no "safe" way to move, but......

If you can, aquire night vision equipment. Move in small groups of no more than four. Be patient and move cover to cover. Avoid lighting. Don't use a flashlight unless absolutely neccessary. ANY light will give your position away.
Know your area. Move accordingly and have at least 3 different ways out. DON'T go unarmed!

Moving in the day might get you sniped, or jumped. So can moving at night, although it's still safer than moving during the day.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM

Avoid being on foot when possible. Roller-blades, a skateboard, or a Razor-type scooter would be preferable in most cases, and are easy to carry of the situation demands traveling on foot.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 AM
No offense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
?? This is a silly comment. I have a night vision scope we use to night hunt coyotes. You better believe if I need to use it to spot people at night in a survival scenario I will. I agree moving at night is safer but you need to be aware that many civilians do possess this technology.
Its not silly. You are one person in millions who dont have NVG.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 AM
No offense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Watie View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but it is important to remember that one size definitely doesn't fit all. Case in point, in a SHTF scenario I'm probably more inclined to shoot first and ask questions later on the guy sneaking through the shadows versus the one tromping down the middle of the street. That is just me though.
my advice would be to not be so quick to shoot. You need to observe and evaluate the situation first. Assuming you are concealed watching the guy, take a look, see if hes armed, if he is carrying a ruck, where he seems to be going, and if he is alone or not.

give him a chance to pass you by. if he's alone, carrying a ruck, whether he is armed or not, and just looks like he is trying to make it down the street without being seen, he's probably just some poor guy trying to survive just like you.

also- if he isnt alone, his buddy(ies) will hear the shot or see the muzzle flash and you've given away your position. Even if they didnt mean any harm, they will now.

I'm a Texan too. Same goes for your property. Watch them for a bit. If they are just trying to pass through, let them pass. if they are stealing, its up to you whether to warn them or not.

Pretty sure you dont own the street though.

Use head before you use your weapon. you will probably live longer. If trouble comes to you, handle it. Don't go looking for it.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
No offense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
Huh. I have an NOD. It cost a couple hundred bucks. Works well enough to see someone moving around at night. Never assume you can't be seen or that a gadget you feel you have no use for has no utility. Good way to windup dead.

If it's the city you live in and are bugging out, you should already have an E&E plan in place. Stick to places no one else would consider. Golf courses. Bike paths or hiking trails. Alleys.

But again, as was pointed out earlier, stay put as long as possible then move once the dust settles.
see reply to other gear queer
Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,326 Times in 2,333 Posts

Think like a homeless person.

Dress down.

Go places no one want to be.

Learn the city and all its out of the way locations.

Prepare places in advance by doing stuff like finding wild bushes near buildings and making a hollow with some creative "pruning".

Wear and use your bug out gear so it does not look new and "rich". If it has field used look, it speaks to someone more competent and able to handle themselves.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Nadafinga!!

I think we tend to get a little tied up in the notion that a large city is all crack neighborhoods, prostitutes, gangsters and homeless people.

The majority of nearly all large US cities aren't that way.

Traversing a large urban area is more likely to take you though strip shopping centers and middle class neighborhoods. If the object is to blend in, looking like a normal, middle class American, albeit disheveled by being in a disater, may be the best way to go...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,402 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
...And, if my situation wasn't complicated enough, where I work, no guns are allowed. At all. And vehicles are routinely searched.
But don't you feel safe being in a "Gun Free" zone.

jk
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Nadafinga!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah525 View Post
But don't you feel safe being in a "Gun Free" zone.

jk
Oh, I am completely safe at work.

It is the to and from that concerns me.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
Huh. I have an NOD. It cost a couple hundred bucks. Works well enough to see someone moving around at night....
I do as well, but dont have the expensive true Infared. US military owns the night because of this technology.

Keep in mind once you turn on the Infared Illuminator you will make an easy target for someone else with night vision assuming they dont have their illuminator on - just looking thru their scope.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Oh, I am completely safe at work.

It is the to and from that concerns me.
they have been bringing bomb sniffing dogs thru my work since they found a bomb in ceiling above cafeteria that hadnt gone off. So no more CC for me, but I keep in car.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,618 Times in 651 Posts

Think outside the box if possible.

Night is your friend in most cases, Yes, there's night vision out there, but everyone has day vision.

Look for roads less travelled. In urban areas, that might be the sewer system, maps are available at the public library. But that's really something that only people who've done urban exploration before SHTF should attempt. You don't want to get stuck down there in a rainstorm.

Other avenues, Train tracks are good, but often in Urban areas, they are often surrounded by 10-12 foot tall noise barriers, making them effective bottlenecks, however these bottlenecks can be tens of miles long. So again, try to find out BEFORE you need it which areas are good and or bad.

Are you close to water? Maybe a canoe will be your best way out. Dark colored canoes on a cloudy night are all but impossible to spot.

Move fast when needed. But remember the To stop - look - listen and Plan whenever you get that chance. Most people have a tendency to walk themselves into trouble they could have avoided if they paid attention.

besides short rushes over dangerous zones, don't move faster than you can sustain normal breathing. If you're already panting, your ability to increase pace and get out of dodge is limited. You want the ability to go full sprint for at least 30 seconds at any time. If you are moving faster than that, you need to slow down.

Assume that everything will take three times as long as you think it will. Plan accordingly, and set short goals so that you can be out of sight when the light comes up.

Carry paper maps. A good thing to do is to recon your area. And make notes on TWO maps. Always have a backup since you don't know if you're going to fall into a ditch and lose one. The second should be kept in watertight storage.
Recon for things like possible hiding spots, bad areas, (Bad now, probably won't be any better post shtf) Supply points etc.

Mark access to water. A lot of stores etc, have taps on the outside in the back. You might be able to get some water out of them even if the system is out. Especially low mounted ones can have as much as a quart just in the pipes.

Pick your egress points, and scout the routes to get there. Never have just one point if you can avoid it. For all you know. that's going to be ground zero of whatever you're trying to avoid.

Once you have scouted paths, find cross paths between your egress routes. That way, if you get cut off, you know how to get to the next one.

Do all you can to avoid contact with unknowns. It doesn't matter how good you are with a gun. They just have to be lucky and you're out of the game.

Well, that's a starting point.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM

This is one of the reasons I joined this BBS (not that I can't join others).

Here's my scenario. I live in the East Bay Area of Northern California. My plan with my friends is to join up with them at their parent's place in Pleasant Hill as our rally point/BOL.

But I work in San Francisco, commuting via BART. For those who don't know, Pleasant Hill is about 25-ish miles east of SF, including the bloody Pacific Ocean. The challenge is not lost on me. Assuming I can get my azz across the Bay Bridge (I work in SOMA/FiDi) and in to Oakland at the very least, I still have a lot of footwork to make to get back to Pleasant Hill.

(Some suggestions have been made to me if WTSHTF and I need to skip BART and still cross the Bay Bridge, I may need to *you-know-what* a vehicle. Others have said that I can try to hitch a ride with someone who's driving in the same direction, for as long as I can with them, et al. I do have a Go Ped push scooter---i.e. without a motor---but not sure how long that will hold up or if it would be wise to use in that situation.)

I've got some decent gear that I've been bringing with me in my backpack, but I always feel like I'm lacking a few things here and there (it also depends on who you talk to, because everyone has different skillsets and needs). I'm still trying to collect gear, but I also feel the push to hurry.

Anyone else who has the same situation as me, I feel for you. Good luck in your prepping!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwind View Post
Get a good map of your area NOW and mark all choke points dead ends etc
Then check now if there are any sneaky bypass's to them! and mark them!

Tag on to the BACK of any rabble moving the way you are going, if the front meets a problem drop off the back!

Stay grey and remember the city is three D!
Also, carry a dogs choke chain with a padlock. Can lock a fence behind you to buy some time or be used as a weapon if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to toolman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM

I would make a plan to stay away from certain areas of the city, looters and crazies hitting the hopsital and pharmecies for drugs, food stores, places like that. Good ideas above wear nasty clothing, torn, add dirt to them and your face and hair, try and conceal your things in your clothes by tapeing them to inner clothing, try and stayed concealed but if you are spotted, i have always thought about acting crazy and looney and if that didnt work, i would pull out my pistol and hope with that and acting crazy would work.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Prepared

A whole lot of this sneaking across the city ninja-style could be avoided if
you pay attention to the warning signs of civil unrest.
Take the day off, call in sick, leave early... just get out of the area before the
crap hits the fan.
This idea won't work to well with natural disasters, like earthquakes, where you don't get a warning.
Best wishes.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
5--4--3--2--1

The sewers like shawshank redemption.