Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

I had the chance twelve year ago, my wife would not go

My best man went, he is earning big bucks, in mining. He works four weeks on and gets one week off. I will be chatting to him on Skype this week, it sounds like boom town
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Just plain snarky.

Thanked 12,463 Times in 3,620 Posts

Can be a boom town. Mining is going great guns- but much of the rest of the economy is idling in neutral. Real estate in most places is insane. Worse in the mining towns- many workers are FIFO (Fly In Fly Out) which can be hard on family life. Not to mention your body clock. Some folks thrive on it- some burn out.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Just plain snarky.

Thanked 12,463 Times in 3,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman View Post
You folks want migrants? We have millions of illegal ones here! Send a big boat!
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/illega...-1226200568050

Graphic showing where most of ours come from. Most arrive by plane.

We already have over 5000 Yanks overstaying their visa's here. Keep the rest over your side.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 11,037 Times in 5,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyogi View Post
Y'all got any openings for gunsmiths?
Nope. No guns = no need for gunsmiths.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Bravo Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYCHICKEN View Post
If they would change the ****ing gun laws I would go
They're changing them all the time.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,112 Times in 4,293 Posts

If the standard of living is driving people to work mines, it is no onder they are leaving the other job markets.
Here you do what you have to do to survive .
Some of us take jobs well beneth our skill level, because there are no jobs the match our skills, available .
Aust,is offering a false hope. like going to a right to work state, ya you can work ,,,$5. an hour. but living is geared well above that. What's the point ?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Bravo Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If the standard of living is driving people to work mines, it is no onder they are leaving the other job markets.
Here you do what you have to do to survive .
Some of us take jobs well beneth our skill level, because there are no jobs the match our skills, available .
Aust,is offering a false hope. like going to a right to work state, ya you can work ,,,$5. an hour. but living is geared well above that. What's the point ?
Miners here get paid six figure wages, union or not.

It's not the standard of living that's driving people to work in the mines, it's the high wages in the mines.

http://www.miningemployment.com.au/m...ruck+Operators
http://www.miningemployment.com.au/m...ator+Operators
http://www.miningemployment.com.au/m...nd+Electrician
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc79092 View Post
Wonder if they need Registered Nurses and certified occupational Therapy Assistants. I am the RN and my Fiance is currently working on her school for COTA
RNs are in hot demand in New Zealand (wife is one). We made to jump from the US to NZ a few years back. Best decision we ever made.

You won't get rich as a nurse here, but you will live comfortably. PM me if you want any more info.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 14,774 Times in 4,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
RNs are in hot demand in New Zealand (wife is one). We made to jump from the US to NZ a few years back. Best decision we ever made.

You won't get rich as a nurse here, but you will live comfortably. PM me if you want any more info.
How do paramedics do there?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
They do pretty well I think they are paid about the same as nurses, but not 100% on that. I am not sure how much of a demand they are in here as there are not a lot of paid positions and run a volunteer/paid staff mix most areas..

They need nurses so bad that they are recruited from overseas.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtpig67 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
http://jobview.careerone.com.au/MICA...108666958.aspx

Email them. If that is fly in fly out it will be over $150 a year.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 PM

It really sucks that such a great country like Australia that their citizens had their gun rights taken away. Im glad we have a constitution the cannot be infringed upon. Take back your country Australia from the liberal fu*ks and get your gun rights back.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metze View Post
It really sucks that such a great country like Australia that their citizens had their gun rights taken away. Im glad we have a constitution the cannot be infringed upon. Take back your country Australia from the liberal fu*ks and get your gun rights back.
No can't be bothered.

Why allways with the guns?
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 8,593 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM. View Post
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/illega...-1226200568050

We already have over 5000 Yanks overstaying their visa's here. Keep the rest over your side.
Westerns that overstay there visa's usally end up going home by themselves, just enjoying a extended working holiday. These refos that try to make it by boat are definatly planing to stay.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillin View Post
Westerns that overstay there visa's usally end up going home by themselves, just enjoying a extended working holiday. These refos that try to make it by boat are definatly planing to stay.
really?

Do you have a source for that?
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Hunter

Quote:
If your a true survivalist, the fact that gun ownership is harder in Australia is actually an advantage. If you want a gun here in AU its fairly simple to get one, but if the SHTF here there will fare less of the great unwashed running around with guns so gun owners will have a tackical advantage over most. I want bore you here with the other advantages Aust has over the USA post colapes like better climate, huge surplase in food production, much lower population density and stuff all nuclear reactors in the southern hemisphere. You want to stay in the US craderling your assult rifle, fair enough, no small thing to leave your country and we probably want see a societal colapes in our life time. But if you truelly believe the end is near and you had a chance to get yourself squared away in Australia or New Zealand you would be mad not to take it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dillin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
really?

Do you have a source for that?
Nope, just common sence. I could be wrong but I'm guessing I'm not. And evan if they did stay, at the risk of sounding like a racist, they would tend to blend in better.
The Following User Says Thank You to dillin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYCHICKEN View Post
If they would change the ****ing gun laws I would go

I"d back you on that................my Permanent Resident stamp still has some life on it............but can't see it happening anytime soon..
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Bravo Zulu

Quote:
It really sucks that such a great country like Australia that their citizens had their gun rights taken away.
No, Australians haven't had our gun rights taken away. We never had the right to keep and bear arms in the first place.

Quote:
Im glad we have a constitution the cannot be infringed upon.
Your gun rights are infringed upon every single day. For example, a US citizen living outside the United States is not allowed to purchase firearms in the United States. If that's not an infringement, what is? Adults under the age of 21 are not allowed to purchase handguns. If that's not an infringement, what is?

Quote:
Take back your country Australia from the liberal fu*ks and get your gun rights back.
Again...We never had gun rights in the first place, how can you take back what was never there?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillin View Post
If your a true survivalist, the fact that gun ownership is harder in Australia is actually an advantage. If you want a gun here in AU its fairly simple to get one, but if the SHTF here there will fare less of the great unwashed running around with guns so gun owners will have a tackical advantage over most. I want bore you here with the other advantages Aust has over the USA post colapes like better climate, huge surplase in food production, much lower population density and stuff all nuclear reactors in the southern hemisphere. You want to stay in the US craderling your assult rifle, fair enough, no small thing to leave your country and we probably want see a societal colapes in our life time. But if you truelly believe the end is near and you had a chance to get yourself squared away in Australia or New Zealand you would be mad not to take it.
As an American living now in NZ, I can say this is true. The biggest threat in a societal collapse will be your neighbour. Best to live in a place where your neighbour is not better armed than most armies and people are not so willing to kill each other off. For example, there are roughly 13-14,000 murders in the US each year. We had 36 in NZ last year.

When things get rough, which society would you rather be in to get through it?

The average "neighbour" in the US is relatively armed to the teeth compared to the average kiwi and when things rough the current trends you see in society today will only be amplified.