Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Prepared

Default glasses,if this is in the wrong section please tell me and i will delete it.

Advertise Here

I hate to admit it but my eyes are nowhere near as good as they were years ago.

My question is does anyone make prescription glasses that are wilderness tuff, that are made to wear while cutting through heavy brush in swamps and woods? Does anyone have a recommendation on glasses they may have used that can hold up to extreme conditions?

Many thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Prepared

Join the military and you will receive the sexist pair of glasses you can own, just kidding but you can get some nice ones at just about any eyeglass place now. They have some for mountain climbing and just say you play sports and they will show you the shatter proof brands.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM

For emergency use, I have several sets of prescription swim goggles. These are off the shelf, and fortunately my prescription is about the same for both eyes, and match the common sold prescriptions. They only cost ~ $20 or so, and would take a lot of abuse, not to mention work pretty well underwater.

Obviously, they'd be kinda dorky and uncomfortable for long-term use, not to mention a bit tunnel vision. But hey, they make good cheap emergency back-ups that would survive the toughest abuse.
The Following User Says Thank You to reppans For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Clear prescription shooting glasses
The Following User Says Thank You to ilivas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,374 Posts

Teddy R. took 10 pair on his Africa trip. Look at the ones basketball players use. The Ti Flexon's I had took getting stepped on many times. Cheap Ti one's only take it twice. Now with cateract fixed in left eye 20/20 but no close vision without cheaters. Right eye 20/400+ has a contact to get to 20/20 but works well for close work without the contact. I often go about without correction aids and its ok, however seeing the sights on a handgun sucks. I'll try add a link to an online place that has good prices for current perscriptions. http://www.zennioptical.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Prepared

the prices are great, I can afford to try out some different styles from this site.

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Trapper

Check out the eyeglasses that basketball players use. Those are tough.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 23,521 Times in 8,041 Posts

Poly carb lens ground safety-thick in a titanium frame. The best frame will come with a magnetic polar clip on. Around $160.00 from Eyemart Express. BTW ALL their frames and lenses are MADE IN THE USA Frames come with a one year warranty and for 29.95 you can warranty the lens a well. If you get even one little scratch on the lens, they will replace it FREE as many times as needed during that one year period. Others charge for a frame warranty and charge much more for the lens warranty. Their policies usually state you can only use the warranty once in that year period.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Hunter

I wear contacts but when shtf I can't go to Walmart and order more lol. So what I'm fixing to do us get the ESS ICE issue glasses kit. Comes with two pairs of ballistic safety glasses, one is clear other is smoke, hard case, etc for $65 from us cavalry. Then I'm going to order their prescription lense holders and have them fill them for $95. The small frame that holds the lenses clips on the nose guard of your safety glasses behind your safety lenses. Sounds rock solid to me!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Poly carb lens ground safety-thick in a titanium frame. The best frame will come with a magnetic polar clip on. Around $160.00 from Eyemart Express. BTW ALL their frames and lenses are MADE IN THE USA Frames come with a one year warranty and for 29.95 you can warranty the lens a well. If you get even one little scratch on the lens, they will replace it FREE as many times as needed during that one year period. Others charge for a frame warranty and charge much more for the lens warranty. Their policies usually state you can only use the warranty once in that year period.
So wait till the year is almost up then?

I use flexable titanium too with the very good lenses that are permanently slightly tinted, and also tint when in the sun. In addition to that I tell them I shoot hand guns and would like my optimum focus at my front sights, and hold my hands out when I do. I had one very good lady for this, but she relocated, she even made me a yellow shooting clip on Len's set like the tinted ones that come with the glasses. She asked me if I was a cop, because that is the only people that had ever requested the focus for the front sights before to her. I'm like, no, just a soldier.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 23,521 Times in 8,041 Posts

^^^Your salesperson sounds like she was great. I used to work in an optics lab we made lenses for all kinds of special uses. Did you know carpenters need bifocals on the top AND bottom of their glasses? They call them double D's LOL
I always use that free warranty right before the year is up but a couple of times I have had to use it more. My RX is pretty stable I usually only get glasses about once every three years and they hold up real well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufferzone View Post
I hate to admit it but my eyes are nowhere near as good as they were years ago.

My question is does anyone make prescription glasses that are wilderness tuff, that are made to wear while cutting through heavy brush in swamps and woods? Does anyone have a recommendation on glasses they may have used that can hold up to extreme conditions?

Many thanks.
Lens Crafters and others have Sports glasses..They are wrap around glasses with a band to hold onto your head.......Also check into those ballistic glasses i thought they can fill some prescriptions....
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Location: In the Mountains of Madness... southern West Virginia

Rec Specs! Used to play baseball in these, once upon a time.