Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default 9x13 food-grade ziplock bags bulk - buy where? how? water storage



Advertise Here

OK, i'm aware people have waterBOB, but i prefer the below option if available:

For emergency water storage:

Is there any major local outlet such as Walmart [or whatever] that carries 9x13 ziplock bags in bulk? (food grade)
...and at reasonable cost.

How many 9x13 ziplocks would make, say, 100 or 200 gallons worth?

Then I could fill them with water, and store them in such type of buckets as emergency storage:
http://www.aquabuys.com/mm5/graphics...-5g-bucket.jpg

Then it wouldn't matter even if the bags freeze (unlike frozen rain barrel & unlike BOB).
I.E. if i need water, I can take a 9x13 water bag, which would fit into a pot, and warm the water on my wood stove (that's if i can light the stove which i haven't dared try yet, due to fear of fire, due to the stove having been installed by a jerk. That's aside from having less than 1/2 cord wood..

..at least I think a water-filled 9x13 would fit into a large pot.
Does anyone have same, to test it, say in an 8-qt. pot with ?? circumference?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM
goose3's Avatar
goose3 goose3 is offline
Capability, not scenarios
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 25,059
Thanked 25,606 Times in 7,717 Posts
Default

I've stocked a large number of both quart and gallon ZIPLOC bags (hundreds, bought on sale at Menards in big boxes containing 4 normal-sized boxes). But I haven't bought them specifically for water storage, just for general preps for things like storing food, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure if ziplocs are freeze-proof if completely filled with water--I would, in fact, bet they are not.

I don't want to rain on your parade (sorry : ), but IMO there are better ways to store water in 5-gallon buckets. You can get a 5-gallon liner from Emergency Essentials with a spout that is used in their "boxed" water application. I have five of those, and they're fine. Just leave enough slack to allow for freezing.

Will they stand freezing? Again, I very much doubt it unless you're careful how you do it. But if storing water where it can possibly freeze is a condition you need to work with, I'd look for other alternatives.

Here's the kit, which happens to be on sale now:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...%20Water%20Kit

Here are the 5-gallon mylar water bags by themselves, which go for $3.49:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...ylar+Water+Bag
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Bobbers Bobbers is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,146
Thanks: 1,165
Thanked 1,318 Times in 573 Posts
Default

Local farm supply store has five gallon "gas" cans on sale for like $5 each. Great way to store water. So is buying the 4,5, or 6 gallon water bottles, the type that go into water coolers. An inexpensive rack can be built to reduce the floor space used.

My concern in filling ziplock bags would be the durability of the bag, the overall integrity of the seal over time, and the sheer number of bags you'd be using to meet your water storage goals. I generally figure a minimum of 3 gallons of water a day for two people, that'd be over 20 bags I'd be messing with every week.

I've purchased a few 35 gallon water tanks, filled them, and tucked them away in various spots in the basement where they aren't in the way. In addition, some five, some six, some seven, some eight gallon durable plastic jugs. Not saying that'd work for everyone, it works for me however.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I hear, but for me, the 9x13 bags would be best, since they can then be emptied into a pot for heating in case of frozen conditions.

they can even be double bagged inside standard food-storage bags, and then filled (sorta like sandbags in a dam) inside a large bucket.

So even if they burst, what the heck, they'd simply leak inside the bucket.

I can't understand why survivalist stores don't make allowances for people who may be stuck in a frozen house (with only one tiny room containing wood stove).

Because then, they might provide leak-proof, pot-sized, ziplock bags available in bulk.

Which factor causes bags to be either leak-proof or not leak-proof?
Thickness of gauge?
...or reinforcement of edges?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 AM
goose3's Avatar
goose3 goose3 is offline
Capability, not scenarios
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 25,059
Thanked 25,606 Times in 7,717 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post

I can't understand why survivalist stores don't make allowances for people who may be stuck in a frozen house (with only one tiny room containing wood stove).

Because then, they might provide leak-proof, pot-sized, ziplock bags available in bulk.
Well, to give them the benefit of the doubt, the market for people who have only one tiny room containing a wood stove who need leak-proof, pot-sized ziploc bags in bulk strikes me as rather small.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Wind Breaker's Avatar
Wind Breaker Wind Breaker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 128 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
I hear, but for me, the 9x13 bags would be best, since they can then be emptied into a pot for heating in case of frozen conditions.

they can even be double bagged inside standard food-storage bags, and then filled (sorta like sandbags in a dam) inside a large bucket.

So even if they burst, what the heck, they'd simply leak inside the bucket.

I can't understand why survivalist stores don't make allowances for people who may be stuck in a frozen house (with only one tiny room containing wood stove).

Because then, they might provide leak-proof, pot-sized, ziplock bags available in bulk.

Which factor causes bags to be either leak-proof or not leak-proof?
Thickness of gauge?
...or reinforcement of edges?
You might want to look into some regular or the 'zip lock" mylar bags to satisfy this requirement. Several places sell them, and they should be fairly leak proof, since they are designed not to let air pass through them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wind Breaker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Illini Warrior's Avatar
Illini Warrior Illini Warrior is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 7,230
Thanks: 24
Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default No gas cans for water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbers View Post
Local farm supply store has five gallon "gas" cans on sale for like $5 each. Great way to store water. So is buying the 4,5, or 6 gallon water bottles, the type that go into water coolers. An inexpensive rack can be built to reduce the floor space used.

My concern in filling ziplock bags would be the durability of the bag, the overall integrity of the seal over time, and the sheer number of bags you'd be using to meet your water storage goals. I generally figure a minimum of 3 gallons of water a day for two people, that'd be over 20 bags I'd be messing with every week.

I've purchased a few 35 gallon water tanks, filled them, and tucked them away in various spots in the basement where they aren't in the way. In addition, some five, some six, some seven, some eight gallon durable plastic jugs. Not saying that'd work for everyone, it works for me however.


Absolutely never store water in anything that is not FOOD GRADE rated by the manufacturer ..... and plastic gas cans are at the very top of that pile .... there's all kinds of FDA rules on top of other FDA rules in regard to FOOD GRADE container manufacture ......

besides, it's wayyyyy to easy to mix something up and poison someone .....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM
FoodNut FoodNut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 45
Thanks: 27
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Costco has 6 packs of large boxes. They aren't particular cheap compared to a sale or a good coupon, but sometimes there's no sale or coupon and the Costco price doesn't change.

You said you wanted the smaller bags in case of freezing, but if the bags are packed in a bucket and frozen, wouldn't they all freeze together anyway? Unless I'm picturing this wrong, you'd probably have to do a fair amount of thawing before you could get one out.

How about using stackable water jugs and making a "wall?" They would absorb heat from your living area in the day and radiate it at night, and shouldn't freeze.
The Following User Says Thank You to FoodNut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Breaker View Post
You might want to look into some regular or the 'zip lock" mylar bags to satisfy this requirement.
Is there any link to a pic you can post, so I can see which you mean?
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodNut View Post
Costco has 6 packs of large boxes.
Not sure which you're referring to. Is there a pic online? Note, I'm not a member, and never really get there. I appreciate the info. though.

Quote:
You said you wanted the smaller bags in case of freezing, but if the bags are packed in a bucket and frozen, wouldn't they all freeze together anyway?
I could always up-end the entire bucket, to separate a bag from the rest.
If each ziplock is double-bagged inside a food-bag, it could work better.
I wish there were rectangular plastic troughs which could hold an array of, say, 24 square-shaped containers (i.e. an array of 8+8+8), with a dispenser via which water can be poured into a channel which would dispense into each container in the array.
(with the dimension of each container fitting into a pot with a 9" diameter opening.)

Quote:
Unless I'm picturing this wrong, you'd probably have to do a fair amount of thawing before you could get one out.
I answered this above.
Quote:
How about using stackable water jugs and making a "wall?" They would absorb heat from your living area in the day and radiate it at night, and shouldn't freeze.
Is there any pic of such a configuration? Has it been done before?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Wind Breaker's Avatar
Wind Breaker Wind Breaker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 128 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Is there any link to a pic you can post, so I can see which you mean?
Thanks!
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/e...orage_bags.htm

Here's a link for mylar bags. Down toward the bottom are sizes very near to what you were looking for. Some have the zip lock top and some do not. All are 5 mill thick, which is a good thing.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Thanks for the link, though I just found this on Amazon for approx. $16 per 100:

9" x 12" 4 Mil Clear Zip Lock Bags, Pack of 100 (Collecting Warehouse)

also:
12" x 15", 2 Mil Clear White Block Zip Lock Bags, Pack of 100

It states that it meets FDA food storage requirements. Do you think that would work, if each 9x12 is double bagged inside each 12x15?

Is there a big diff. between 4 Mil and 5 Mil?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Synical1's Avatar
Synical1 Synical1 is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Pa.
Posts: 2,485
Thanks: 10,439
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,459 Posts
Default

Considering the cost of what you're looking for, I would try them all and see what happens.

I would pursue another solution. But, if I was to try this, I would just start with some 1 or 2 gallon Ziploc freezer bags and take it from there.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM
FoodNut FoodNut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 45
Thanks: 27
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Not sure which you're referring to. Is there a pic online? Note, I'm not a member, and never really get there. I appreciate the info. though.
I just checked their web site, but they don't have it. They don't have a lot of run-of-the-mill stuff online.

I should say *my* Costco has the bags -- not all stores carry the same thing. We don't have a "business" Costco here, so other than rice there are no big bulk unprocessed food items.

Quote:
Is there any pic of such a configuration? Has it been done before?
The Aqua-Tainers stack quite nicely and securely. I have mine stacked 4 high -- I don't know what the max height is.

Using water as a thermal sink is a passive solar technique that's been around for a long time.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Thanks! Thing is, the Sam's Club bags aren't so thick, whereas the Amazon ones are.
I'm considering the Amazon (collecting warehouse) ones, but I'll first see if I can reach CW to ask them if they're waterproof.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
64duracraft 64duracraft is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 1,412
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,092 Posts
Default

Is that really going to take a freeze?

Here's my experience:
I bring home fish from fishing trips and store them for YEARS in a deep freeze. I *try* to get the filet in a solid block of ice inside the bag so it doesn't get freezer burn. When I thaw them in the sink I thaw them in the bag. Most of the time when I pick the bag up out of the water, it's leaking, usually at the seems and usually a corner.

YMMV.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

duracraft, which brand bags have you used to store your fish?
Simple ziplock, or zipper ziplock?

I had contacted CW and they naturally responded that they wouldn't advise it, unless maybe they're double bagged (which is what I'd had in mind).

Another Q: Has anyone tried Hefty Ziplock for liquids?
Because Hefty states they're good for sauces and even ice cubes.
But they're a bit smaller than 9x12.

I'm thinking i should invent something similar to below, but with each compartment being quart size.
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/497...e_cube_bag.jpg

like maybe:
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 AM
rabiddog9's Avatar
rabiddog9 rabiddog9 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,282
Thanks: 1,308
Thanked 3,192 Times in 1,325 Posts
Default

How about double bagging and then store the bags in clean 5 gal buckets. if there is a leak the 2nd bag should hold up if not you still have the bucket?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 AM
ShellbackBill's Avatar
ShellbackBill ShellbackBill is offline
Patient Zero of WWZ
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Back in Baton Rouge
Age: 58
Posts: 5,138
Thanks: 3,557
Thanked 9,806 Times in 3,233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post

Is there any major local outlet such as Walmart [or whatever] that carries 9x13 ziplock bags in bulk? (food grade)
...and at reasonable cost.

How many 9x13 ziplocks would make, say, 100 or 200 gallons worth?
This is pretty close to what you are looking for.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...%20Water%20Kit

Cheaper than the methods most recommend, and they come in 5 gallon as well.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Minni Minni is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks: 81
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

That wouldn't meet requirements as per my OP re: possibility of the water freezing & therefore needing to be heated in a pot to be drinkable.

So I found some junky, probably toxic, 3-quart food-containers:
http://www.regentproducts.com/images/41523-48.jpg

I bought 15 of them, which I'll make do with (unless I win the lottery

I figure I can line them with gallon size food storage bags, after first rinsing the containers out to hopefully detoxify the cheap plastic.

So even if they freeze, I can probably get them out by upending one of them into a large pot to heat on my wood stove (that's if i can get the fire started...
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food grade blackstrap molasses in bulk? Allamakee County Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 66 04-12-2013 10:44 AM
NZ/AU suppliers of mylar bags & food grade buckets shag Australia and New Zealand 11 03-31-2013 08:35 AM
Non Food Grade Mylar Bags Barbie Food and water 8 02-25-2012 05:29 PM
storing food in ziplock bags tonyt Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 01-10-2012 07:51 AM
Mylar Ziplock bags...good or bad pepoke Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 07-10-2009 01:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net