Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,961 Times in 1,696 Posts

Advertise Here

I agree with txplowgirl that if you are more self sufficient to begin with, it is lower than you think. I average 150 per month for all my animals. I don't go to the bars anymore so they are my activity.

It hasn't been until lately that it is a burden. With the price of hay hitting 18 dollars a bale I am finding different ways for feeding. Switching to alfalfa cubes and getting a semi- load of 3 way.

Have been thinking of getting rid of my Appaloosa too much trouble for what she costs. Quarter horses are great since they tend to be less headache.

As for the llamas they are really easy. Just got them for Christmas but they are extremely easy, and great pack animals. Looking forward to more backpack trips with them after the female drops her baby.
The Following User Says Thank You to swen_in_ca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Prepared

I've got two horses, 5 acres of pasture (more than enough for the fair weather seasons) and raise enough alfalfa to feed my horses through the winter and sale some each summer. I don't plan on bugging out, but if push came to shove, both my horses pack well, and both have been trained to drive as well. I work with them a lot. pretty much any day that it isn't raining or painfully cold, I go out and ride, or just play with them in the pasture. I love feeding them in the winter time, its usually colder than witches tit in the morning, but I can jump up on my appy and lay on her back to warm up. :-) - Horses can be expensive to own if you're not setup to care for them. otherwise they're pretty easy keepers.
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonsLan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 PM
QUANDOQUE PARATUS

Thanked 6,645 Times in 2,080 Posts

I grew up around horses, and it would be wonderful to have them if there was a long term collapse, but I don't have the time or money to keep them absent that happening. Luckily, there are over 10,000 wild horses nearby, so should there ever actually be a long term collapse, I expect there to be a thriving horse market. Well... or they'll be eaten.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 2,082 Posts

The biggest drawback that I see about horses after SHTF is their value. Defending them, either while they are out eating in pasture, or if I am riding them somewhere.

They will attract people to take them...for food or their own needs. They're an indicator that there might be more where they came from.

They can come into the barn at nite but must go out on pasture to feed and may need to be guarded that entire time. (Of course hopefully I'll have hay stored at first, but it wont last forever.)

I'm prepared to keep my horses on my property thru SHTF, but that doesnt mean that I'll be able to. It will require a neighborhood effort to keep undesirables out.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

I recently got ride of our hourse ... there expense seems to out wiegh the uses I could use them for ... I did buy a few bicycles at a garage sale. If worse case hits ... they will still work and require food. Just a little maintance. Plan on getting an extra set of tires and a chain form Walmart to put up .... my horse when it was well and lived in my yard still cost me $150 month ...

However, they are fun to ride!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Firefighter 129

I own 5. Had 21 last year. Sold or gave to friends the others. I kept 2 breeding pair. I am not going anywhere they can't go. I plan on bugging in. Chickens produce enough eggs to feed my family plus the loyal cats and dogs daily. I hope people think twice before buying horses if you haven't ever own them. When they get hurt, it can be costly. I sew or staple up most injuries myself. I keep their meds on hand at all times. Horses are a way of life for my family. A responsibility to not be taken lightly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulapForbes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
On Twitter @liamkfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRanchMedic View Post
Unless you use horses, mules, or donkeys on a regular basis to the point where they earn their keep (pre-shtf), they're a money pit. They eat more than cattle, require more maintenance than cattle, and have a smaller market than cattle.
This is more or less my point. I know horses well, one a horse now. I could be much better off by dumping that money on other preps -- were i not already well-prepped. Since I already have a barn, tack, and years of experience with the critters, and ride them as a hobby, it's no small thing to have horses as a survival prep. But, I would put them very low on a survival prep list.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM

The wife has a 1,258lbs draft horse that I feed. She could BOB out on him and I'll take the quad...Meals on wheels (Hoofs) if worst came to worst and one spendy dinner
The Following User Says Thank You to 45Homer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Anvils and Welders

Thanked 18,637 Times in 3,444 Posts

We've got 30 here at the ranch and have decided to slim down the herd some. If anyone is looking for a tactical bugout horse for when the ballon goes up, just let me know. All ages, all sizes, all colors and they are all Quarterhorse.

Anyone thinking of getting a horse to breed, dont. They are cheap enough that you dont need to raise them. If you dont have much horse experience, you have no business with a stud.

Tex
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 21,090 Times in 7,231 Posts

Ranch to keep horse = $1MM
Truck and trailer to haul horse = $90K
Feed = $3K annual
Insurance on said properties = $2K annual
Medical bills when horse hurts you = $50K

Horse = $500 dollars.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 8,874 Times in 759 Posts

Here in Australia, I dont ever need to feed horses, they live on grass all year round. I know many areas in north america are under snow for much of the winter, but there must be some areas over there were they can be kept on pasture all year round. Our horses arnt worked all the time, but they do have bursts of some really hard work and they handle it fine on just grass. Larger pony breeds would be the way to go, around that 14hand. look at the type of horses the mongels ride, bet they dont spend thousands a year to keep them.
I used to shoe horses but now if any of my horses have soft feet I sell them. most horses dont need shoeing. Really shouldnt cost much to keep a horse if you have a bit of land
The Following User Says Thank You to dillin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Military MOM

Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,568 Posts

I'm not sure where your numbers come from, but my 3 are not near that expensive. If you have the land, it is much cheaper. Plus, you learn to do things yourself. I also plant winter rye for the winter. I too buy alfalfa cubes in the winter, you can grow your own corn and store molasis for the sweet feed for heat in the winter if you need it. I guess if you are like I am, have the property, the know how, and the land, it makes sense. I'm just still not sure if it would be the best idea to buy a cart and train them to pull it instead of ride. Our bug out is about 40 miles away, and if I have no card, then I can't take my chickens. The feeding and taking care of them is not a problem. Like I said, they have enough on the 400 acres to keep them full, even in the winter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marcie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Target Shooter

I have a norwegian fjord and maybe 5 acers in grass I buy 2 bags sweet feed (20 bucks) a month and feed 18-20 bales hay (4 bucks a bale) in the winter I've had her since she was a puppy only had one vet bill in last 9 yrs she cut her eye lid almost off had to be sown back on (350.00 bucks) but other than that just easy to keep as a big dog.
Attached Thumbnails
honeybunch.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Legon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 21,090 Times in 7,231 Posts

They don't call 'em 'horse lovers' for nothing.

You gotta love 'em to keep paying for them while you allow time for your broken bones to set.

I'm yanking yalls chains. I love horses too.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Target Shooter

I love my Harley but it don't smell like a horse
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Military MOM

Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,568 Posts

BTW, I'm only talking about bugging out on horseback IF a vehicle is not an option. Yep, love our horses too!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR BAR 2 View Post
We've got 30 here at the ranch and have decided to slim down the herd some. If anyone is looking for a tactical bugout horse for when the ballon goes up, just let me know. All ages, all sizes, all colors and they are all Quarterhorse.

Anyone thinking of getting a horse to breed, dont. They are cheap enough that you dont need to raise them. If you dont have much horse experience, you have no business with a stud.

Tex
I'm looking for a quiet, younger (4-9) gelding to start in cowboy mounted shooting! My gelding is getting older and will do for a season or 2 more.

I love the fellas that have 'had jobs' and have developed a good work ethic, like on a ranch. PM me if you have anything that might work.