Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Prepared

Default Squirrel Calls

Advertise Here

Do you use them? Do they work? Who makes the best one? After reading the thread about hunting them I was just curious. I watched a few youtube vids on them. I kinda looks fun. i grew up eating squirrel cooked just about anyway momma could think of. Now I'm kinda getting a craving for some squirrel and dumplings. Feel free to throw in your recipes as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM

My grandfather used to have a caller that was a black tube about four inches long. You held it in one hand and made a clapping motion to create a sound much like a squirrel barking. With a bit of practice you could get pretty good with it. And it worked for him too as usually after a couple calls, at least one squirrel would poke his head out from somewhere and wind up in the freezer.

I myself have never used one, but I have on occasion resorted to making my own call (I can't really explain how I do it but it sounds pretty close to real). This actually works about 3/4 of the time. The place I do most of my hunting is crawling with squirrels but they are wild as all get out and now and then I get tired trying to wait one out, so I use the call.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 21,131 Times in 7,342 Posts

I've hunted for a long time, but I guess I'm old school, because I never knew you could buy a squirrel call. I just make the sound myself. It's a great trick to pull in a city park, those little guys aren't afraid of people at all and come running. Friends think it's funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Trapper

I had one a long while ago and it kind of worked. Mine was one like the Haydel's SW92 MR Squirrel whistle. I have also seen an old magazine article where someone made one out of a bottle cap with a hole drilled in the middle.

The best squirrel hunting method I've ever heard of was a squirrel dog. The dog barks up the tree at the squirrel and you manuver around to the other side while the dog is holding the squirrels attention and you've got a clear shot at one that would normally be hiding on the backside of the tree from you.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM

best Squirrel Call: "Here squirrel, I've got nuts."
I've never used calls. My dad did though. he swore by them. Not sure what kind he used.
The Following User Says Thank You to horsebackhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
one 'o the crazies!

They get real curious, I just kiss the back of my hand, just behind the thumb. Real sharp like. It works, if they try and stay on the backside of a tree from you, try throwing a heavy stick to the other side, when they jump to the side your on, shoot.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
camps in trees

Thanked 1,506 Times in 683 Posts

Never used em. If I aint using dogs and can't see any I just get in my deerstand.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Silent Defender

Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,000 Posts

Here's a good trick I use. It takes two people. Walk up to an area in the woods and start talking loudly enough that the squirrels will hide from you. Then stop talking and have one walk away. Since squirrels can't count, they'll think the coast is clear and come out of hiding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Octomonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,314 Times in 1,536 Posts

Well the best way I have found to attract squirrels is go up in a deer stand wearing hunter orange and only carrying a high-caliber deer rifle.

Beyond that, I make a loud kissing noise on the inside of my forearm that tends to get their attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtticusFinch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 AM
watcher

the little squeakers from inside of dog toys work great. You can buy a cheapo toy for like $1 at a discount store. The squeakers inside are like plastic bulbs.
just cut it out. Youd be surprised the squeals and chatter you can make with it.
Squirrels here can't help but freeze and look around when I use it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM
one 'o the crazies!

Here's where I get most of my calls. Impressive/Fast service.

Why waste your time on a dog toy? buy the real deal.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 AM
watcher

Because its a dollar, and It works, and it makes me feel creative and my dog happy, and its a dollar. And if I loose it in the woods,....its a dollar.
But if having something that costs more, but says "squirrel call" makes you feel better, roll with it!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM
5--4--3--2--1

No NO Find a big oak. You know the squirrel is on the other side. Just start running around the bottom clockwise. Counter-clockwise doesn't work. Don't give up keep running. You'll catch up.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Lohman used to make a squirrel in distress call. It mimicked a wounded baby squirrel. I used to have one and will tell you that the squirrels literally ran through the trees right to you. Works like a charm.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I Cant Relate To You

Thanked 1,249 Times in 560 Posts

I can say I have never eaten squirrel to my knowledge, not that I am against trying it though. Are all squirrels edible? This being a ground squirrel, has never shown any real human fear since it showed up here at work a few months ago and it is constantly fed seeds and nuts. The plant has named it Rosko, and it will literally follow you around outside.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
one 'o the crazies!

I don't think there is a single mammal that you can't eat....not wanting to eat is another story.

Don't think you'll get much favor in killing the plant pet, had that happen at a sawmill I worked at 30 years ago. That's not hunting, nor is it sport. That thing now qualify's as a Pet.

If you want to go out and hunt, sure get a call....but if you feel you need to "sneak" up on the company mascot, and smash its brain's in....I think you may just need some therapy.

If the boss is asking you to remove it for company hygienic reasons, then get it done.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

I used to pucker up and make a high pitched sucking , squeaking noise .
Squirrels are naturally curios and social ( with other squirrels ) .
Once a squirrel would start making alarm calls at me , I would squeak back at them and peak ther curiosity .
Not only would they come to my side of the tree , but theyre curiosity would bring them down the tre closer to me .
I once called one to about ten feet of my pellet gun barrel .
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I Cant Relate To You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks Mare View Post
I don't think there is a single mammal that you can't eat....not wanting to eat is another story.

Don't think you'll get much favor in killing the plant pet, had that happen at a sawmill I worked at 30 years ago. That's not hunting, nor is it sport. That thing now qualify's as a Pet.
Thats me feeding it a few days ago, its fed last years failed LTS dehydrated peas and corn, as well as sunflower seeds.
Quote:
If you want to go out and hunt, sure get a call....but if you feel you need to "sneak" up on the company mascot, and smash its brain's in....I think you may just need some therapy.
Now where did that come from, I dont once think I infered I was going to "smash its brains in". If I had a NEED to eat a squirrel it would not have lasted the months of being here as I stated in my post. If I had a NEED to eat a squirrel I would take it any way I could. I also think my therapy requirements may be a bit below yours.
Quote:
If the boss is asking you to remove it for company hygienic reasons, then get it done.
The boss is the one that named it
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 PM
one 'o the crazies!

Ah! Sorry! Misunderstood, and you might be right about the therapy....hehe.

We had a pet marmot at a mill I worked at years ago, somebody killed it and hung it over the entryway door with a noose. Course whoever did it wouldn't fess up.

In a survival situation, I'd eat them too.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM
I Cant Relate To You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks Mare View Post
Ah! Sorry! Misunderstood, and you might be right about the therapy....hehe.

We had a pet marmot at a mill I worked at years ago, somebody killed it and hung it over the entryway door with a noose. Course whoever did it wouldn't fess up.

In a survival situation, I'd eat them too.
No worries brother have a good one