Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Prepared

Default the main reason i'm here

Advertise Here

after surfing the internet for a few weeks, i feel like i've found the site to ask the questions i most need answered....so, any and all info is welcome and considered.
we are fortunate to live in the country, on acreage, in a great small community. it's the way we live and i have certainly taken it for granted until now. we've always lived on the self reliant side of things, and our huge ice storm a few years ago showed us we have what it takes, but definitely needed to "step up our game", so we've made alot of changes over the last couple of years!
my question is this...my dad is a HUGE prepper...and lives in town...his BO plans are to come here (and we r blessed with the room)...so i guess i'm bugging in? i don't see a scenario where we would have to BO...so do i just make more food storage plans? anything else anyone can think of in this scenario? medical? just trying to cover all my bases...
The Following User Says Thank You to winegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Preparing for my Family

Good for you on being in a good location. I'd encourage you to work on becoming self-sufficient if you aren't already. Master gardering, put in a greehouse, raise chickens, add fruit and nut trees around the place.

Develop your skills in canning, and dehydrating the food you grow. Assess your water situation, on a well? How are you going to get water without electricity. Heat? Same thing. Maybe you need to convert to wood heat. You get the idea.

Anything you can begin to do so you aren't relying on outside trade will be a benefit if the is a major SHTF event, or economic crisis. Good luck! And, glad to have you on board.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,535 Times in 7,688 Posts

Lots of people here are planning on bugging in. You only bug out if your situation is untenable or unsustainable. Many who live in cities, for instance, expect that they may have to bug out to remote locations to avoid the chaos that will result from societal breakdown.

Your situation sounds like what many would like to have. As long as you're not too close to a major city where you can expect an exodus that overwhelms you, and you can sustain yourself with your preps and your ability to provide food, then it sounds like you're right where you want to be.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,628 Posts

Having a prepper father that's headed to your place sounds like a fantastic deal to me! You probably need the backup, as people will act stupid before going to desperate to insane in my view.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
III%

Thanked 28,030 Times in 3,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegirl View Post
after surfing the internet for a few weeks, i feel like i've found the site to ask the questions i most need answered....so, any and all info is welcome and considered.
we are fortunate to live in the country, on acreage, in a great small community. it's the way we live and i have certainly taken it for granted until now. we've always lived on the self reliant side of things, and our huge ice storm a few years ago showed us we have what it takes, but definitely needed to "step up our game", so we've made alot of changes over the last couple of years!
my question is this...my dad is a HUGE prepper...and lives in town...his BO plans are to come here (and we r blessed with the room)...so i guess i'm bugging in? i don't see a scenario where we would have to BO...so do i just make more food storage plans? anything else anyone can think of in this scenario? medical? just trying to cover all my bases...
Jerry Young has an excellent "Prepper 101" post here, I'll try to find it for you and post up a link.......

Edit: Here you go! http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=228875
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Having a prepper father that's headed to your place sounds like a fantastic deal to me! You probably need the backup, as people will act stupid before going to desperate to insane in my view.
i think he will be on security detail and then machinery resource and gardening supervisor. (a very bad back and hip will limit his actual physical involvement, to a degree, but he pushes himself to that level) i'm just concerned that if they have to come on foot (earthquake scenario), then he will be limited on what he can bring
i hope 25 miles for the nearest large town is far enough, but you never really know.
and sweeper, i will check that link out! thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,059 Times in 446 Posts

How's your defensive position?

When the SHTF, the human locusts will be heading your way. They will have no ability to take care of themselves and as they filter into the countryside, they will quite literally pick everything clean.

Granndad's old bird hunting gun is not going to get it done. You'll need a serious deterrent.

Me, I'm bugging out and have a bolthole right around 11,000 feet. The unprepared will have about a one in a thousand chance of even making it to my location and those that do will either survive the first winter, or they wont.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluntForceTrauma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Dog Walker

Quote:
i think he will be on security detail and then machinery resource and gardening supervisor. (a very bad back and hip will limit his actual physical involvement, to a degree, but he pushes himself to that level) i'm just concerned that if they have to come on foot (earthquake scenario), then he will be limited on what he can bring
i hope 25 miles for the nearest large town is far enough, but you never really know.
and sweeper, i will check that link out! thanks
Have you father pre-position supplies at your place. You should also pre-position a small cache at his place (just in case). The only reason you would need to bug out to his place would be something very specific to your home (fire, flood), but if Dads filling one of your closets, you can fill one of his (& have stuff when you're visiting).

Best of Luck
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lemon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
How's your defensive position?

When the SHTF, the human locusts will be heading your way. They will have no ability to take care of themselves and as they filter into the countryside, they will quite literally pick everything clean.

Granndad's old bird hunting gun is not going to get it done. You'll need a serious deterrent.

Me, I'm bugging out and have a bolthole right around 11,000 feet. The unprepared will have about a one in a thousand chance of even making it to my location and those that do will either survive the first winter, or they wont.
since i am new to the more serious side of prepping, i'm not sure about the defensive position...our house is on a hill, but with scattered small to medium woods...if my dad makes it to our house in a shtf scenario in a vehicle, firepower will NOT be a problem. we r a hunting and fishing family, so we have moderate firepower, but he has purchased multiple firepower over the last year...i don't know all the #'s...(i'm a shotgun and rifle girl)...of all that he's bought, the AK is the only one i had at least heard of.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
Have you father pre-position supplies at your place. You should also pre-position a small cache at his place (just in case). The only reason you would need to bug out to his place would be something very specific to your home (fire, flood), but if Dads filling one of your closets, you can fill one of his (& have stuff when you're visiting).

Best of Luck
i will suggest this to him...and i work in the town he lives in, so makes COMPLETE sense for me to do the same!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,287 Posts

Food is good. Water is golden. If you have a source that does not rely on the powergrid, you will be OK. Me, I am putting in a sand point in my basement this next weekend. I am buggin in for now. It could change. I have that option.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,185 Times in 795 Posts

i bet fuel would be your biggest concern.

You already have food and security in your location and farm. When gas supplies collapse small towns will go without the longest.

You can stock up on gas for your tractors and generators. Everything else sounds great. What is your defense security position?
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWStiner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 PM

I would always count on needing some supplies to bug out, even if bugging in is the most likely case. You never know when mother nature or a massive fire is going to wipe out the things you have built to be your back up.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

You are fortunate to have a place to "bug in" but that does not mean you need to ignore the possibility of a bug out. History has proven that people that have not prepared will migrate out of the cities and into the rural areas and do whatever they need to do for self preservation...up to and including murdering.

Many people confuse a bug out with an evac. IDK why...maybe because there are so many new comers to the prepping community that spread misinformation...who knows but they are different.

A bug out is a hasty retreat from a compromised area. It’s fast and at the last minute, when all else has failed. A bug out is entirely possible anywhere at any time...you are less likely to have to evac. I would mainly focus on making your location more sustainable and increase your preps. Having a strong security plan would be top priority for me in your situation aswel. Just think of all the things a city needs to function; sanitation, food/water services, medical, security, fire responders.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWStiner View Post
i bet fuel would be your biggest concern.

You already have food and security in your location and farm. When gas supplies collapse small towns will go without the longest.

You can stock up on gas for your tractors and generators. Everything else sounds great. What is your defense security position?
i've thought about this and questioned DH some. it would probably depend on the time of year, if something happened. our house is generator ready, and he said we had enough fuel to run that for a month, not counting propane (i'm just not familiar with some of this and that's my biggest downfall, KNOWLEDGE, lack of...i can cook and can and garden allll day long, but if DH is not here when something happens, i wouldn't know how to hook up the generator, but that's a whole other prob, i'll be working on that...)
and i'm still not sure about the security defensive position...how would that change from now? i don't mean to be harsh or dumb (this could go either way), but if someone shows up on our property, i don't know them, i don't answer the door. the dogs even scared the mailman pretty bad the other day, he just sat the package down and hurried back to his car, and that's someone we know if someone tried to come in anyway, i'd shoot them, so what other things do i need to do/prepare for? hope that doesn't seem like the most stupid question on this site...

Last edited by winegirl; 04-16-2012 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: added more
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,628 Posts

Quote:

i will suggest this to him...and i work in the town he lives in, so makes COMPLETE sense for me to do the same!
Exactly! Just try to have a good balance of supplies at both locations.

If you're living in an earth quake prone area it might be good to figure on having no utilities. So look at it from that angle to see what you might need, such as a generator and fuel, oil lamps, candles, flash lights and batteries, fire wood, etc.

Oops, just read that this was already covered, but you're on a good site to accumulate knowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Son of the Republic...

Sounds like you are in a pretty good situation, winegirl...so I'll start with the most obvious thing...drinking water. How much do you have stored? Do you have a way to purify more? Are you near a good water source like a stream or a lake? If not...how far would you have to travel to get water?

Next is food...how long can you and yours sustain yourself with what you have stored? A month...3 months...6 months...a year? Do you have seeds put away to grow more food? How about extra fishing supplies like hooks, line, sinkers, etc.? Do you plan on doing much hunting? How much ammunition do you have on hand for getting game?

Next is security...Does everybody have a handgun, a rifle or a shotgun? How many rounds does your family have put away to defend your homestead?

These are just some of the questions we all must ask ourselves, as we prepare for what's top come.

Anyway...welcome to the forum!

Zulu Cowboy
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
... and i'm still not sure about the security defensive position...how would that change from now? i don't mean to be harsh or dumb (this could go either way), but if someone shows up on our property, i don't know them, i don't answer the door. the dogs even scared the mailman pretty bad the other day, he just sat the package down and hurried back to his car, and that's someone we know if someone tried to come in anyway, i'd shoot them, so what other things do i need to do/prepare for? hope that doesn't seem like the most stupid question on this site...
Lord knows that I'm not the most knowledgeable or prepared but a couple of things strike me about security. Part of this is mindset, "... if someone shows up on our property I don't know them I don't answer the door. ...". That works fine in today's civilized society however, if I were one of the hoards from the city and I was going to take over your place, I wouldn't knock at your door. If I was good enough, and particularly if I had some help I might do anything from knocking at your door to distract you and having some of my homies bust in the back, or maybe even snipe at you.

The point I'm making is that in a SHTF situation, don't expect civilized behavior.
The Following User Says Thank You to NovaSeeker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Cowboy View Post
Sounds like you are in a pretty good situation, winegirl...so I'll start with the most obvious thing...drinking water. How much do you have stored? Do you have a way to purify more? Are you near a good water source like a stream or a lake? If not...how far would you have to travel to get water?

Next is food...how long can you and yours sustain yourself with what you have stored? A month...3 months...6 months...a year? Do you have seeds put away to grow more food? How about extra fishing supplies like hooks, line, sinkers, etc.? Do you plan on doing much hunting? How much ammunition do you have on hand for getting game?

Next is security...Does everybody have a handgun, a rifle or a shotgun? How many rounds does your family have put away to defend your homestead?

These are just some of the questions we all must ask ourselves, as we prepare for what's top come.

Anyway...welcome to the forum!

Zulu Cowboy
we have the recommended 3 gallons per person per day for a couple of weeks. we have immediate access to more drinkable water in certain seasons. (large tanks for irrigation) there are a multitude of ponds/lakes in our area, so a higher level of filtering is on my "want" list.
food is decent, but DH and i are stepping up our canning and freezing this year...and i am starting saving seeds from this years heirloom crops! (i am excited about this, even from a hobby perspective!)
my crew is hunting/fishing fiends, we are in great shape there, but i personally feel like we could store more ammo for hunting, when the ducks are flying they can sure can deplete the supply
security also needs to "step up", i can't vouch for what DH/kids would reach for, but i rely on my 30-30 and 20g. i am planning on adding my own personal handgun in the near future, as i don't like our 9mm.
thanks so much for helping me through this step by step...
as i posted, "it's why i'm here!"
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Recent Blog: Good guy with a gun
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,646 Times in 6,803 Posts

One thing is not to get obsessed with the "bug out" mentality, you want to stay in your home as long as possible.

If there are valid reasons to leave your home, then do so.

I see a lot of "survivalist" and "preppers" that say they are going to pack up and live in the wilderness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post: