Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Web Designer

Advertise Here

Make a hatch on the roof so you can easily defend your home from high ground.

Also security screens.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

Survival in the OC? WOW, you are brave. In Southern Cal the 2nd safest place gotta be http://militarybases.com/california/ pick one! The first would be on a flight to Anywhere Else, USA. No offense, just be safe and keep your head down. Lots of good ideas posted above. Reinforce everything you can! Doors, windows etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to theboonedockssaint For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,685 Times in 691 Posts

How about an M1A1 Abrams Tank?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 AM

unless its a brick house or made out of concrete, that door isn't going to do much since something could probably bring down the wall easily. Also I'd look into putting something underground, but at that point might as well tear it down and start over. At a minimum I would look into a good, solid brick facing, and add a secure room (possibly concrete walls, ceiling, vault type door, might include some air filters).
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,680 Posts

Put the money to better use an move... screw SoCal for SHTF, 1992 with Rodney King riots should have been enough to get you to move.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,692 Times in 1,838 Posts

A lot of people on Kauai have an extended safe room in light of two hurricanes that hit that island in 1982 and 1992.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,532 Times in 528 Posts

If you can't sell it, rent it. Having another income stream is always a good idea.
Voluntarily living in California when you know in your gut that the "golden age" won't last is NOT a good idea. If simply looking around you doesn't tell you that, then believe what those LEOs you talked to said. You deal with the criminal element nearly every day. You know what they're capable of. You know that if the "rule of law" broke down, they'd be predators with absolutely no consequences and nothing holding them back.

I understand being tied to a job. We are, too. But you've got some money and another location you can go to. Two and a half hours by car is not a HUGE deal - it's certainly better than nothing. 150 miles or so; you can walk that if you have to over a number of days. Start laying in supplies at that location. Spend time looking at a map and plan your route there. Lay in caches along the way. Buy a good mountain bike and a cart to hook to it in case you can't go by car. Stop pumping money into the OC house and instead pump it into the BOL. That OC house isn't going to last, no matter how "hardened" you make it. The harder it is, the more fun it will be to some amped-up wanna-be king and his thugs to break it - and you.

So like I said... if you can't sell it, rent it out. Use the money to help you prep out the BOL, or put it away so you can get away from that job even sooner.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,028 Times in 2,078 Posts

Move ASAP
Get farther out or out of the state.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Medic View Post
You're in California. There is no safe or worthy place in California. Move out while you still can. Liquidate what you own and take your cash and find a decent state to live in.

There is no amount of $$ that will make any part of California habitable or safe at any time, now or post SHTF.

The mass number of illegal aliens/thug/criminals (state sanctioned and otherwise) will negate any and every upgrade you put into a suburban house. the golden hordes will originate from california. your house and your preps will be the first consumed by the human locusts/lotus eaters.

With time and distance they will thin out to manageable numbers as they leave "the promised land" on their way to decimate the rest of the 48.

Seriously, move.

You're in the non Californian part of the Sonoran Desert? There is no safe or worthy place in the Sonoran Desert besides the California side. Move out while you still can. Liquidate what you own and take your cash and find a decent state like the California part of the Sonoran Desert to live in.

There is no amount of $$ that will make any part of Sonoran Desert except the California side habitable or safe at any time, now or post SHTF.

The mass number of illegal aliens/thug/criminals (state sanctioned and otherwise) will negate any and every upgrade you put into a rat infested desert house. The Desert hordes will originate from the non California part of the Sonoran Desert. Your house and your preps will be the first consumed by the human locusts/lotus eaters.

With time and distance they will thin out to manageable numbers as they leave "the deserted land" on their way to decimate the rest of the 48.

Seriously, move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Technologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM

How about some fire protection (sprinkler system) just in case your neighbors house goes up in flames.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Fringe Element

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchang1 View Post
Can't move. My family trust specifically states that I cannot sell the house and my lawyer can't find a way around it.
Sounds like a situation in desperate need of some Jewish Lightning...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Get a STRONG bus and turn it into an RV. Make the windows bullet proof and keep it stocked with food, water, fuel and spare parts.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Prepared

One of the biggest survivalist factor in Orange County is earthquakes. So have a large stash of food, guns, etc., INSIDE the house is good, but you also need a place OUTSIDE the house to store stuff...in case a Northridge-style earthquake hits and the epicenter is in your city and you have to live in the backyard for quite awhile.

Up until about 10 years ago, I spent my whole life in CA...was in the Bay Area during the Loma Prieta earthquake and was in southern CA near Northridge during that big earthquake.

Of course, don't make it obvious to your neighbors that you're a survivalist, so don't do something like put barbed wire around the top of your fence or something like that.

The rainwater collection thing is a good idea. You could also install solar electric panels on the roof, so you'd at least have an alternate noise-free power source if there was no electricity (i.e., I'm thinking of Kev's descriptions of what happened w/his family post-hurricane in Texas...the neighborhood hordes heard their generator and came to attack them to get their stuff).

You should also check your proximity to that one nuclear power plant that's right on the beach between San Diego county and Orange County (can't remember exact city it's in right now). If you're within so many miles of a radius, you'd have to evacuate...and you should have a plan for that.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Target Shooter

The power plant is San Onofri.

If your praying to "God" to kill people the problem is on your end.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,129 Times in 2,256 Posts

Stuff to reinforce the door frames and such is good. Tough door is nothing if the frame can't hold.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 AM

I'm sure all of us would chose to live in the perfect location if it ever does exist,but I don't think anyplace is perfect. So we all make do. I think keeping everything you do on the down low is the best idea. Live in the house or rent it, your choice of course. Making it not look like a good target best idea. Nothing will stop somebody/s if the think you have something they want. Giving everybody the idea that whatever they are looking for is someplace else should be your plan.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,406 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arozarks View Post
The power plant is San Onofri.

If your praying to "God" to kill people the problem is on your end.
It's San Onofre. I worked on that plant. Wow, $50 an hour as a 22 yo kid way back then.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 AM

Have highlumens LED floodlights around the house that can strobe the hell out of anyone inside the perimeter. + A very loud PA system with mindboggling sounds. Cook up some whacked remix of car alarms, crying babies(just from the internet, no need to poke a kid at the mall and record it ) and some sirens and stuff. Mix that in with the strobe lights, and a already slightly nervous bad guy, sure they'll go packing.

Gotta be creative. Worried about molotovs? add sprinklers on the roof.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 AM
a thorn in your side

Thanked 1,662 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchang1 View Post
I recently came into some money and a couple properties. I am planning to use one of them as my main residence, where renters used to live, its slightly run down, but its in a small and safe town in Orange Country, CA. The house is a one story 1400 square feet property. The backyard is enclosed so that helps. As I have chosen to use the house as my residence I am doing a general remodel on the property and am wondering if someone has recommendations or opinions on how to remodel the house.
*Money is not that big of an issue, but I prefer not to go crazy.

Planned upgrades:
Seismic retrofit.
Steel Frame/ steel door with multiple deadbolts.
Exterior opening steel screen door with dead bolt and door knob locks.
Security Laminate: ACE 400 Series
- Highest level of fragmentation retention
- Maximum burglary resistance
- High-end bomb blast protection
- Small arms fire resistance
Solar Panels
Industrial Rechargeable batteries hooked up to solar system.
Infrared illuminated night/ day vision cameras.
Exterior motion sensor lights/alarms
Alarm System synced with motion sensor
Anti climb spikes on backyard walls
High steel backyard door with deadbolt.
^ Costco Rocks

Desired upgrades
Concealed interior metal security shutters.

Any other suggestions?

I already have some general supplies:
Springfield XD 9mm
Remington 597 22LR
Lots of bullets
6 months worth of MRE, Oatmeal, Rice, Flour, Tuna, and canned veggies / meat
4 Months worth of bottled water
Night vision Goggles Gen II
Antibiotics / Tamiflu
Welcome to the Survivalist Boards
I think you are off to a good start, and you probably have more preps than some of our members. However there are a few things that I noticed that I didn't see in your general supplies. Might I suggest building a bug out bag (BOB) for yourself and any other members of your household, if you already haven't done so. It's great that you have all that food and water, but I noticed you didn't mention a means to cook your food, nor a stock pile of fuel for said stove.

I too live in Hellafornia, but I hope to change that after my wife gets out of the military and we are no longer stationed here. If we are still living in CA when TSHTF, my wife and I are getting out of dodge. Most likely we will head north, but that all really depends upon the circumstances. In my mind CA is not very defendable, there is just too high of a population density, not to mention an entitlement mentality.

If you can't move from Ca, I would recommend taking some of the money you are looking at spending on your upgrades, and buy property. For 19,900 in the moses lake area of WA there is a piece of property that is 63 acres, with some pretty good hunting. Also you can find cheap property in Idaho.
My suggestion is to buy a piece of property and build a brick house, or log cabin. If you can not afford to, then I would suggest a mobile home on a nice piece of land....It's better than trying to combat the hordes in CA.

This is the best advice I can give you, and its what I am actually doing.

If you are stead fast on staying in Ca and holding off a location, I would suggest finding others in your area (there is power in numbers). You may be able to find a survivalist group/mutual aid group, or if nothing else you can join the CA militia and gain extra training, and some back up.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPrepper View Post
It's San Onofre. I worked on that plant. Wow, $50 an hour as a 22 yo kid way back then.
If I had a $50.00 an hour Hob I could afford to learn how to spall too.