Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Is the "Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter" as good as the Lifestraw?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,431 Times in 6,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInGa View Post
A couple of notes: Boiling will not desalinate water nor remove heavy metals either. So the real difference is virus. Of course there are some bacteria it won't filter out either but those are so rare its not worth mentioning.

Some things to know about virus. They are very species specific. So the otter up river defecating in your water source is not likely to spread a virus that will have any effect on you. In fact human effecting virus are very rare in surface waters in the developed world because of our sanitation systems. Now that's not so in the third world and if the power goes out here for long enough raw sewage will make its way into most surface waters here too.

In the end don't drink water pooled around an industrial site or land fill and don't drink flood water. Your life straw will likely be sufficient for everything else in the industrialized world until the power goes of for several months.
Good call. The real threat are bacteria and parasites for most all situations.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM

I bought a Lifestraw at the gun show in Dallas yesterday for $20. I need a couple more but my finances just don't allow me any wiggle room right now. My 8 year old sure was impressed by the guy drinking out of a muddy bowl with it.

I would put it in my GHB but I'm afraid it would melt in the car. Summers get awfully hot around here so I think I'll stick it in my BOB.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Location: In the Mountains of Madness... southern West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufferzone View Post
I do think that as close as I am to an unlimited supply of salt water 1k for a Desalination Filter may be a good investment in the long run but I am open to suggestions on a better less costly alternative.
$1,000? For what is basically a still? I guess there isn't enough moonshine down there for you to be that familiar with the technology, but you could easily make yourself a little still out of a copper pot and some copper tubing. You need a little more complex set up to distill alcohol but you could probably get copper tubing and enough sheet copper to make a pot lid good enough to distill water for like thirty bucks at lowes.

Then either start a campfire or use propane to boil the water. Just be sure it isn't illegal to possess such a thing where you live, the cops are pretty incredulous when you tell them its just for distilling water, thats the oldest tale in the book!

Last edited by aberrant; 04-16-2012 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Edit: I can't spell!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,902 Times in 981 Posts
Default You Really Will Need To Learn How To Suck Hard

With lifestraws because it takes a great deal of sucking power or vacuum to get them to work. One has to fight hard for every ounce of water produced. How about trying the various back pack sized foot operated filtures? They work much better. FWIW, IMHE. HB of CJ (old coot)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,889 Times in 6,838 Posts

The majority of the water filters on the market do not remove viruses, that is just the way it is.

If you viruses are a concern, I suggest using a steripen and letting the UV light kill them
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM

A few tips on LifeStraw. I have Highlighted the dont's.

What Are LifeStraw's Limitations on What It Filters?

LifeStraw has been created to filter drinkable water from surface fresh water and is designed with humanitarian aid for developing countries in mind. So in essence, rather than drinking water from a creek that may have a dead animal, faecal contaminants, or associated diseases in it, the LifeStraw filters the fresh water to significantly reduce the user's chance of catching disease that could be carried in the water. In humanitarian aid conditions this includes using the LifeStraw for the filtration of well water that can be tainted by nearby toilet trenches or burial areas.

LifeStraw has not been designed for, and does not filter out, the following:
Water polluted by chemicals or radiation
Salt water
Water with naturally occurring harmful chemicals

However for drinking safe water from fresh water flood water, creeks, dams, puddles, and animal troughs, Lifestraw is perfect for use by households, hikers, and outdoor professionals, saving the use of chemicals in water, and the need to carry heavy water in a water rich environment. LifeStraw filters out harmful suspended materials and biologicals that can be in fresh water.

LifeStraw does filter our Giardia cysts commonly experienced in creek water.

Does LifeStraw need maintenance?

LifeStraw has no moving parts and is constructed to function under the rugged conditions of the daily needs of those living in developing nations. As a result the maintenance requirements are minimal.
If drinking from fresh water that has suspended fibrous material the first level filter may clog or be restricted. Maintenance recommended is for a regular backflow to blow any materials out - in other words blow through the LifeStraw rather than suck. This will clean the filter and is all the maintenance required.

If having used the LifeStraw and then wishing to store, simply backflow the filter, shake as much water out as possible, and leave with the cap off to dry. If you find future use of the LifeStraw is difficult, suck and blow in water to clean the filter. Remember the nanotechnology can become clogged with silt or other matter, but is easily cleaned with care.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,305 Times in 33,023 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I'm not a fan of the straw type filters. It limits you to drinking directly from the source, or carrying dirty water in containers that could be used for clean water. I prefer a pump or gravity filter that lets me put clean water in my containers. If I felt the need for a backup, I'd have a seperate pump filter rather than a straw type. They are just too limiting.

I've heard all the pros and I'm still not convinced. But this is just my opinion. They don't fit my needs but they might fit someone else's needs perfectly.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,046 Times in 869 Posts
Default Lifestraw Water Filter?

I thought this little water filter looked like something that would be nice to have in a GHB or out camping/hiking.

But part-way down the page under 'specifications' it says it has a 3 year shelf life when stored at room temperature.

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Artic...60&Click=35519

It's reasonably priced, but I've never heard of a water filter having a 'shelf life' or needing to be stored at room temperature.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IdahoGard'ner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 PM

correct me if im wrong hit i think it has to do with the chems they use to remove the viruses
The Following User Says Thank You to demonfurbie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 PM

I wondered what kind of water filtration devices people were using. The only ones I've really looked at were the Katadyn series. They have a lifetime warrenty, filter out protazoa, and bacteria, but not viruses . . . how important is it that it be able to filter out viruses do you think?

It looked like you had to spend quite a bit more for virus removal . .
The Following User Says Thank You to CTREE For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM

I pay little attention to expiration dates but maybe this is one to consider? I've got one of these filters for this very reason... guess I should look into it.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,235 Times in 661 Posts

I'm not really sure why the LifeStraw has such a short lifespan. I will try to remember to ask next time I talk with the US distributor.

The LifeStraw has it's place and is extremely popular but if you are looking for better deal over the long term, a Sawyer water filter is a better way to go.

If you are going to buy one, don't pay $24. You can do way, way better than that. I'm not allowed to advertise, otherwise I'd provide a link.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREE View Post
I wondered what kind of water filtration devices people were using. The only ones I've really looked at were the Katadyn series. They have a lifetime warrenty, filter out protazoa, and bacteria, but not viruses . . . how important is it that it be able to filter out viruses do you think?

It looked like you had to spend quite a bit more for virus removal . .
I believe it's only the Katadyn Pocket that has a lifetime warranty. The other products have much less.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfurbie View Post
correct me if im wrong hit i think it has to do with the chems they use to remove the viruses
I don't think the lifestraw uses chemicals and it does not remove viruses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 PM

There is no chemicals or anything else that I know of that can deteriorate in 3 years used in it. The manufacturer has stated that they are changing it to a 5 year shelf life and it will be on new packaging. The original Lifestraw had some form of Iodine in it and I think that was the reason for the 3 year shelf life. The new model did away with Iodine. Water borne viruses are not common in the U.S. at this time and the only way to effectively prevent them is with heat or chemicals. I wouldn't trust a chemically treated straw in the first place and would rather independently add Iodine or a chlorinate to my water.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCHeel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGard'ner View Post
I thought this little water filter looked like something that would be nice to have in a GHB or out camping/hiking.

But part-way down the page under 'specifications' it says it has a 3 year shelf life when stored at room temperature.

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Artic...60&Click=35519

It's reasonably priced, but I've never heard of a water filter having a 'shelf life' or needing to be stored at room temperature.
i would recommend the sawyer for your BOB.

http://www.absolutesurvivalist.com/water-filters.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snowie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Wavering Democrat

Thanked 2,139 Times in 845 Posts

I looked at the views on Amazon and ordered one after that. I will keep it in my GHB in my truck. Never know if I will use it but it is one more level of protection.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Default LifeStraw Water Filter

Hey all,
I came across a cool new water filter system that is small and compact, but is very effective. It looks like a large straw, and you use it by putting one end of it into water, and then drinking out the other end. It supposedly filters up to 1000L of water and lasts for about three years before it cannot filter any more, but you know that it is expired because it will not allow you to drink any more from it. It filters out 99.99999% of waterborne bacteria, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites. You can buy them on Amazon for around 25$, so I'm thinking I'd like to get one of them. There is a link to buy them below.

US Link: Canada Link:
Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,981 Times in 909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellspawnedJawa View Post
Hey all,
I came across a cool new water filter system that is small and compact, but is very effective.
Did you read any of this thread Mr. Helper?