Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Right now I use an Osprey Atmos 65 as both my camping/hiking pack, and as my BOB. It has proven itself to be an awesome pack, and is by far the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

If you do choose to use a backpacking pack for your BOB instead of a surplus/tactical pack, you need to understand it's limitations. Most backpacking packs are not built to haul the same amount of weight as a surplus pack of the same size. I don't consider this to be a short coming in any way, just something you need to be aware of. In fact, I believe it is a positive, as it keeps me form adding unneccessary gear to my BOB. I see far too many people loading their packs up with excessive amounts of gear that "they might find a use for." Not saying you should go the bare-bones, ultra-light route, but do people really need a multi-tool, 3 knives, a machette, a hatchet, a saw, and an e-tool in their BOB? I say no!

Recently I've been looking at getting a Kelty Redwing 3100 to use as a dedicated BOB. It appears to be a great compromise between a traditional backpacking pack, and a surplus pack. It is build to be used as a backpacking pack, and has what appears to be a decent suspension system to keep you comfortable while humping through the backcountry. At the same time, the material feels much more durable than what is being used in most of today's lightweight backpacks. Another plus is that the pack is offered in many different colors, many of which are neutral earth tones.

It would depend on exactly what purpose you envision your BOB serving, as this is not the biggest pack on the market. But I know that for me, it would be more than enough pack for a simple 72hr BOB.

Here are some pictures, specs, and reviews on the pack:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/redwing-3100/
Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Surviving down under.

I'm currently using a 5.11 Rush72 which has been serving me well so far. I've also got an Israeli-surplus pack (65L) with all my 'second-tier' gear and extra supplies, to be carried by anyone who's at my place, and a 5.11 range bag which has been great.

I couldn't agree more with the previous posters about panel-loading bags over top-loading, a definite advantage for getting to important gear in a SHTF scenario. However I did pick a top-loader for the second bag, because you can dramatically over-stuff them if need be.

I'm looking to pick up a new daypack filled with gear to get home and get to the rest of my stuff on foot, or make an emergency evac if necessary. Something to leave in the office or take to mates' places. At the moment I'm tossing up between a Maxpedition Condor II or Falcon II - I'm leaning towards the Condor, but I'd love to hear some opinions on the two.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,315 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus View Post
I have been reading the forums for a week or so and am curious if anyone uses a regular hiking back for a BOB. Like an REI brand. I know they are very light and comfortable which could make long treks and quick movement better. They probably are not AS durable but they are durable.

I have been researching bags and would like one I could use hiking too since it would have the same items almost.

Your thoughts?

i dont know alot about civilian backpacks but i do know dont go cheap in this area buy quality.and if you want a civilian backpack there are alot of ppl on this forum that has ALOT of exp on this subject and beware of e-bay on this. there are ALOT of chinese clones that arnt even 1/2 the quality but look just like the one you want. if they dont tell you who made it dont buy it .
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,002 Posts

Most civie backpacking backpacks are great in terms of wieght distribution and comfort. They blow military packs out of the water in that sense. But.....they arent the most durable. They are meant for people who backpack on weekends and on trails, not for people who push through thick brush. They arent that flimsy though, i just wouldnt use them if your going to be on the bush for months on end.
If your willing to shell out the cash, look at the usmc ilbe or kirafu packs. They have the same advanced comfort and weight distribution as advanced civvie packs but are made for hunters and military, so you know that they will last.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Hello Everyone!

My name is Peter. I found your board looking for a good MOLLE pack. I found Arizzon Packs through this site and ended up ordering some. I am now in a position to import them in quantity. I joined the site with a Merchant Membership.

My goal is to establish a group buy of the packs and then bring them in saving everyone on shipping and overall cost.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. I will be posting this in other pack related spots. on the site.

I have access to the whole line of Arizzon Wolverine Packs in Black, Olive or Multicam.

Please get with me. My goal is to get commitments from as many people as possible. Once a number of packs is determined, then I will take payment and get them ordered. You should have your pack in hand with in 30 or so days of the order!

I am 3gunguy on eBay. You can check out my feedback there.

If this goes well and people are happy, I have access to a number of products from the shooting, outdoor and survival industries.

Survivalist Boards Only Pricing will be as follows:

16L WOLVERINE
BLACK/OD $79.95
MULTICAM $94.95
32L WOLVERINE
BLACK/OD $174.95
MULTICAM $204.95
50L MONOLITH
BLACK/OD $359.95
MULTICAM $489.95
70L MONOLITH
BLACK/OD $399.95
MULTICAM $429.95
90L MONOLITH
BLACK/OD $439.95
MULTICAM $479.95
SIDEPOUCH
BLACK/OD $39.95
MULTICAM $49.95

Shipping (CONUS Only) will be a Flat Rate of $25.00 for the 32-90 L packs and 12.00 for the 16 L. If you decide on more than one pack, let me know and we can combine shipping. My goal is to have commitments from interested parties by, Friday August 5; confirm availability and collect funds from everyone by August 15; have the packs on hand By Sept 7 and in everyone's hands by Sept 15.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns?
Peter Roccisano
754-224-0249
Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM

I am looking for a good backpack for my BOB. The question is, do I go with the Maxpedition Typhoon Backpack, or do I get an ?

Also, I hear recommendations other than the ones listed above.

BTW, best site for a survivilist.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,608 Times in 6,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivingInCR View Post
I am looking for a good backpack for my BOB. The question is, do I go with the Maxpedition Typhoon Backpack, or do I get an Osprey?

Also, I hear recommendations other than the ones listed above.

BTW, best site for a survivilist.
Wow... apples and oranges here. The Maxpedition is a tough and durable pack. But it does not have a frame. It is a frame-less pack. So it will not handle heavy loads as comfortably as the Osprey.

The Osprey is a backpacking pack. Lightweight materials that are less durable than the Maxpedition. But it has an internal frame which allows it to carry loads better and with less fatigue.

The Maxpedition has more pockets for organization. And you can customize it better with the webbing BUT it is only 750 Cubic inches (11-12 Liters) Whereas that Osprey is about 4000 Cubic inches (65 liters). So you are looking at 5x the space.

So apples to oranges here.

As far as other suggestions, I am a big fan of Mystery Ranch packs. They cost more, but last practically forever and there are many many options. I have also seen more than a few of them in Costa Rica.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html

This looks in that price range of the Osprey Atmos 65 and is smack in the middle of the two packs you showed as far as features,function and capacity (Check shipping rates though to Costa Rica):
http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/c.9...11&category=10

Kifaru also makes durable packs.
http://kifaru.net/index.html

But really, think about your purpose and what you are going to carry before choosing the right pack. By looking at the two examples you pulled up, you are choosing the pack first. The problem with that is that you are then designing what you need around what you can fit into it... and it should be the other way around. Choose what you need first and THEN get a pack of the appropriate size.

OHH! And if you can, always try on the pack first (with some load in it) to see how it fits and feels. I looked hard at Osprey before but when I tried it on at the store, the way the suspension is designed, it dug into my back and created hot-spots. Happened with their entire line. Apparently my back is not shaped with the "curve" it was designed for. If you can not try the pack on, make sure you can get a full refund if you try it at home and find it doesn't feel right.

Last edited by vicdotcom; 07-13-2011 at 02:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Thanks for your reply. I need to pack for 2 adults, 2 kids. I am thinking about getting the two. The stuff I get, I get it from US online stores and send it to CR. If you have been here, you know how the tag prices multiply by 2 .

Regarding that Kifaru backpack. Is it a real good option? I need to get a lot in there, and the pack needs to be water resistance. I
will see wich of the ones listed under tactical fulfills my needs.

Good advise on the Osprey, I guess I have no curvatures either so I will face the same issue as you did.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,608 Times in 6,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivingInCR View Post
Thanks for your reply. I need to pack for 2 adults, 2 kids. I am thinking about getting the two. The stuff I get, I get it from US online stores and send it to CR. If you have been here, you know how the tag prices multiply by 2 .

Regarding that Kifaru backpack. Is it a real good option? I need to get a lot in there, and the pack needs to be water resistance. I
will see wich of the ones listed under tactical fulfills my needs.

Good advise on the Osprey, I guess I have no curvatures either so I will face the same issue as you did.
Ohh yea shipping is a pain and definitely something to consider price-wise as well as returns. But you are pretty much at the mercy of that

With 4 people, I really think that the Maxpedition model you were looking at is too small. They might have other models. Even if you were going with just the bare 3 day necessities for 4 people, that is very little.

My spine is straighter near the tailbone and that is where I ran into trouble with the Osprey suspension system. Theirs had a cure near the illiac crest above the hips that put a hotspot there. So I had to rule them out.

Kifaru is a solid pack made of 1000D cordura for their tactical packs. It is water resistant but not water proof. You can also add on a lot of options through the webbings. I have not heard of many complaints from this company or Mystery Ranch besides price. Only thing is some models may have a waiting period of months. So be sure to ask ahead of time.

Good luck on your search and again, try to see how much you are going to put in the packs first to help you narrow the choices. If you need to go with a less expensive option, there are plenty of other companies on par with Osprey that would fit your needs also.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM

I have a Kelty Coyote 80 that works great for me. It holds everything that I need and is actually quite affordable and very comfortable.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellis95 View Post
I have a Kelty Coyote 80 that works great for me. It holds everything that I need and is actually quite affordable and very comfortable.
From Kelty, this is the one I found useful.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
Got a High Sierra backpack for my BOB.
I love high sierra, I used a regular backpack for a school bag for 8 years now. Best 85 bucks I ever spent. I use it for other stuff now since its all dirty and nasty.

You can't beat military surplus for durability for the price. Your surplus bag will almost always beat a civilian bag for the same price. From experience, they lack in the comfort department. The arm and leg civilian ones will have the same durability as the surplus ones but with added comfort.

Personally, I can't justify buying a $200-500 backpack, especially the tall ones that are designed for hiking. I'll forego the comfort for durability.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 PM

My Bob is a coleman max 65l bag Coleman Max 65liter. I have it stuffed full, its just waiting in a sleeping bag and extra clothes. As it is now though its has everything in it to let me survive. I do take it with every time I enter the woods. It also sits in my vehicle when not being used or added to.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 AM

I have a Northface Terra model which sells for around 150. I shopped and researched awhile for that and really like it but it is big for quick grab and go. I picked up a Maxpedition falcon for its smaller size and versatility as a backpack and for light hiking. Even though its smaller, with high quality and small size gear you could fit everything you need for a camping trip.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylus View Post
My Bob is a coleman max 65l bag Coleman Max 65liter. I have it stuffed full, its just waiting in a sleeping bag and extra clothes. As it is now though its has everything in it to let me survive. I do take it with every time I enter the woods. It also sits in my vehicle when not being used or added to.
I have a Coleman 65 liter also. I like it a lot as since I have had to take multiple long distance trips with it. It wears good and I also have a multicam pack made by BLACKHAWK I believe, and it is an awesome pack for hunting or short little 3 day trips when you only need the essintials. Not to mention it has a bladder for water and a waist belt. I also think that a good old fashion ruck sack would be a good option.