Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Hiker

Default N S W E Building Interior Directions

Advertise Here

I was going to post this in the video game section but the more I thought about it this may be a real issue in a survival situation. While playing Fallout 3 I noticed that when entering a buliding the wall straight back from the entrance is considered north no matter if it really is north or not. Then I thought about my work place and what we call north really is north and it is also north of the front entrance. The local hospital also has a north wing that really is north and the main entry is south of the north wing. So here is my question, in real life do we consider north to be north (same inside or outside) or is north on the inside of a building considered north from the entrance. I hope this question is clear. I did several google searches and I cannot find any info on the topic. If I ran into a building and someone said head north I would head real world north not just straight back from the entrance so I can see where there could be confusion in an emergency.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Knowledge is portable...

I think the same etiquette applies inside as it does out. I think the game has you messed up. I've never heard of it being any other way than actual headings.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerberusassoc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,724 Times in 887 Posts

Cardinal Directions don't change based on whether or not you are indoors...
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Hiker

I always assumed it was same inside and out but the game is flawed I guess.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Tough as Woodpecker Lips

North is North. The layout of a structure has no bearing on your heading. In the fire service (at least where I work), the main entrance to any structure is deemed the "A" side. Working clockwise from there, you'll have the B,C,and D sides (assuming it's a standard 4 walled structure). In the event that you find yourself trying to communicate location to another party, use of this system simplifies things a great deal. If someone has no sense of direction, telling them to meet you on the west side of the building is going to cause problems. Establish the location of the main entrance and work your way around from there. If it's a multi-story structure, just add the floor number before the side (ex:4-C = fourth floor, rear wall). It's easy once you use it a few times.
The Following User Says Thank You to SQD5DRIVER For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD5DRIVER View Post
North is North. The layout of a structure has no bearing on your heading. In the fire service (at least where I work), the main entrance to any structure is deemed the "A" side. Working clockwise from there, you'll have the B,C,and D sides (assuming it's a standard 4 walled structure). In the event that you find yourself trying to communicate location to another party, use of this system simplifies things a great deal. If someone has no sense of direction, telling them to meet you on the west side of the building is going to cause problems. Establish the location of the main entrance and work your way around from there. If it's a multi-story structure, just add the floor number before the side (ex:4-C = fourth floor, rear wall). It's easy once you use it a few times.
Thank You very much, that is what I was looking for; someone in fire or police dept, I figured they would have this thought out.