Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 AM

Question Lady's Hand Gun

Advertise Here

I asked this question on another board and got ignored. What hand gun do you have/recommend for a lady? Don't want a lot of kick, but I want stopping power and a ready supply of ammunition should I have to scavenge. One of my friends suggested a Glock 9, but I've heard they do have a kick to 'em.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Recent Blog: I'm back
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 4,345 Times in 1,391 Posts

My wife carries the S&W M&P 9mmC as her CCW and she can definitely handle it.

4-6" groups at 25 yds... with a 3" barrel..
She is a newer shooter as well and is 5'4" and 110lbs
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Curmudgeon/Raconteur

Thanked 3,397 Times in 1,578 Posts

I have worked Years as a Range Safety Officer at my local GunClub Range. I am Male.

Recoil is a Variable thing, and each person's perception changes with experience. So does their Tolerance of it.

Even something like changing the Grip on the Gun can make one that is Objectionable before, become Nicely Tolerated after.

Best way to find out what is OK for you is to shoot A Lot of Different guns.

Start Small (.22LR) and work up till you find one that is OK on First few shots, but is too much to shoot a whole box.

Follow this progression:
22LR*
25 ACP*
32 ACP*
380*
32 H&R Magnum
327 Magnum
38 Special
9mm
357 Magnum
45 ACP

Calibers Denoted above with the * are relatively Weak, but if that is what you will carry, it is better than the Higher Power Calibers that you will not practice with, or are scared of!

Also note that Heavier Guns of the Same caliber will have less perceptible recoil than Lighter ones of the same caliber.

My Wife and Daughter each settled on the 357 Magnum. Nice Bonus of this caliber is that you can practice with Lower-Power and Cheaper .38 SPL ammo, and then carry .357 Magnum for Defense use.

Arthritic older Woman Friend settled on the 327 Magnum, which also allows for use of a weaker practice ammo, but not much cheaper.

You need to do the actual Shooting Research, as a Friend or Acquaintance does not have your hands, nor your Recoil Tolerance. Don't let anyone pick for you, or you will likely be disappointed!!

You need to pick whether you want a Semi-Automatic, or a Revolver

Include the costs of your chosen Carry in your Purchase calculations - Holsters can get Pricey!

If you let someone else choose for you, you will likely have an expensive Drawer or Safe Ornament. If you like your choice, you will carry it more, use it better, and be safer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocamom View Post
I asked this question on another board and got ignored. What hand gun do you have/recommend for a lady? Don't want a lot of kick, but I want stopping power and a ready supply of ammunition should I have to scavenge. One of my friends suggested a Glock 9, but I've heard they do have a kick to 'em.
Thanks in advance.
I'd suggest shooting a variety of handguns to see which one feels the best. I'm a noob to the whole handgun ownership thing myself. I eventually settled on a Springfield XDM 9 mm. I shot my sis-in-law's twice and that is the one that felt best. It is especially good for someone like myself that has a smaller-than-average grip.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,352 Times in 1,736 Posts

My wife has an M&P 9c also, she likes it a lot.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM

I have a few different concealed carry options, including a 9mm, a .380, a .40 and a .45, but I have small hands and under pressure, I'd rather not have to worry about whether my hands are shaking too much to rack a slide, despite my practice time at the range. For me, a revolver is just easier to use.

My favorite is my S&W model 642, a 5-shot hammerless revolver which is lightweight enough that it doesn't tug on my waistband in its holster and is small enough that I can put it in a pocket or (if I absolutely must), I can put it in my purse.

The Following User Says Thank You to hijinks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Prince of All Trades

Handload seems to be all over this, but I have to suggest that you go with the largest caliber weapon you find comfortable.

Try to bring enough gun to the fight, don't settle from a small weapon that has terrible stopping power if you can comfortably handle a larger round. And be sure to become comfortable with the weapon you chose; load and unload it, fire it, be totally at ease with using it, and be certain in your own mind that you WILL use it.
The worst thing you can do is have a gun you won't use, because you will end up losing it to your assailant and having it used on you or someone else..
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM

I"m a woman and I have some pretty heavy firepower. I've got all .45 or .40 Caliber weapons and a couple .22 hand guns. I also have both semi autos and revolvers.

Honestly all you are asking depends on the individual. I've been shooting off and on since I was in High School so I'm comfortable with the bigger calibers. I highly recommend that you go to a range and test fire several weapons first before deciding.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Low on tolerance....

I've fired many different calibers of handgun, including Ruger .22 Raven .25,(crappy don't even think they make them any more!) S&W.32, Glock and Springfield 9mm, Ruger .357 and Glock and Springfield .45. I loved the Glock .45 but went with the Springfield Xd 9mm and haven't had any regrets, it's easier for CC and a lot less expensive to shoot than the .45. This is an important factor as you need to be familiar with your firearm and you can spend a small fortune on ammunition doing it Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM

Talking Thankee Sai

Thanks everyone for the great info. I'm off to a firing range next week I guess. Have a great weekend! (Please don't shoot the Easter Bunny)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 8,499 Times in 2,942 Posts

Why not make this gun your first gun? Go with something good, reliable, and cheap, like a typical .22lr caliber -- i think rim fire has less recoil then center fire. Practice a lot and then sell (or keep ) and get the "real" gun later?

In my opinion, it should be a like a motorcycle... it's your first bike, it's not supposed to be your last bike.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Last Oct I took an Introductory gun class -- it allowed me to try out a number of different makes of guns so I could determine which make I liked the best. If you can find a gun class in your area -- I highly recommend taking it.

I decided on a Sig Sauer P226 .22LR.

Reasons I decided on on the P226
1. Smaller guns have more kickback (the P226 has a LITTLE more weight and size to it which combats the kickback as compared to the really small guns)
2. The P226 .22LR is upgradable to a 9mm, a .38 and a .40 (Just slide off the current slide and slide on the new one! Like having multiple guns in one! Get used to one handle - and have multiple options)
3. .22LR and 9mm ammo is most popular and therefore cheaper ammo and easier to find.
4. I can play around on the range with the .22LR for target practice and shoot really cheap bullets getting used to how the gun handles, and then finish up my session with a magazine of 9mm.
5. 9mm hollowpoint is perfect for home defense -- so I can keep the gun with the 9mm slide on at home (or once I get my carry permit, with me)
6. I love the way it fits my hand
7. Easy beakdown for cleaning
8. The "Beavertail" protects the web of the hand between the index finger and thumb from injuries when the slide kicks back.

Regular bullets can go through walls/ people - hollowpoint are perfect for defense -- they will do a bunch of damage to the person, but there is less chance of going through walls/ inuring others you didn't intend to shoot.

I have back isues - so I also had to be careful of the kickback issue. I decided to get a membership at a local range -- that way when I finish with errands in town, I can run by and shoot a couple of magazines -- not too much too irritate the back. I'm doing pretty well, though -- just finished up on an Intermediate class last Friday, and we shot 200 rounds of ammo! I didn't even have to ice my back! (I did when I first started shooting - and then, I was shooting 20 rounds!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CherScoled For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Target Shooter

Lots of good advice here from the folks. Don't overlook a small .357 revolver.
Most ladies shoot them well and you can also shoot .38 Special.
Ruger SP101
Taurus
S&W
All make a good small revolver.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 19,719 Times in 6,486 Posts

My sister is..."delicate"...and she loves my Glock 19 (midsize 9mm 15+1 rounds)

She is training with it and will use it to get her ccw, at which time it will be hers.

^--- Cuz I'm a great brother

Go to the range and shoot some 9mm handguns and see what happens.

By the way, a gun in the store has to "talk" to you. More to the point, one will "sing" to you, and you will know which one to buy. Trust me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocamom View Post
Thanks in advance.
I don't recommend a semi auto pistol for anyone that will not practice frequently...With a semi auto pistol a person should shoot at least 50 rounds every 3 months and learn and repeat FTF (Fail to function drills) weekly....Look at the Smith & Wesson Air Lite PD....It is a 5 shot 357 magnum revolver which means you can use 38 caliber bullets...The so called kick comes from the type of bullet you use..You can get a good personal defense 38 caliber round from Corbon,Hornady ect..
This particular revolver is made out of a man made metal called Scandium...It is about the lightest weight revolver there is and it's lightweight and no exposed hammer makes it ideal to carry....I carry mine in my pants pocket or inside the waist holster....
My wife is small and it fits her grip real well and she shoots real well with it even one handed....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,442 Times in 973 Posts

There is no such thing as a lady's gun. There is no such thing as a man's gun. What ever your conferrable using and can keep on target is the best gun for you. If you plan on carrying it and how is another option to consider. If it's at home and sitting around different firearm for that. What ever fits you best you can shoot and you like the feel of is the best gun for you. If you have small hands you might want to look at a ruger SR9 its not a bad pistol for the price. You could also look at a Glock in 9mm or 40 S&W but I would try it first to see if you like it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Aim for Center Mass

I bought my wife a Springfield Armory XDm 9mm full size. We went gun shopping for over a year and she handled lots of guns. She kinda liked SIGs, the S&W M&P was a contender, Walther was in the mix too. She had issues with recoil and also weight since she had a traumatic head injury in 2001. We went to an indoor range in Columbus, GA. and she finally got to shoot the XDm and immediately fell in love with it. It has several interchangeable backstraps so the grip size can be adjusted, recoil is negligible, ammo capacity is GREAT (19+1), trigger is light and crisp.

Now that was our choice, but there are many other fine weapons out there. I would suggest that you NOT choose too Small a caliber. Any gun that you have when you need it is better than the super tacti-cool ninja slayer with titanium nuclear sights that's back in the gun safe.

A .380 is VERY marginal IMO. 9mm is kinda in the same category, but not quite. It's a fair choice IF recoil is an issue. If grip size is an issue, a single stack 9mm might be just the ticket. 40 cal. is a better defensive round, but the recoil is a LITTLE sharper, but not by much, it's 1mm larger and a weightier round, maybe not as fast as a 9mm, but that's not really a problem since there is less chance for over penetration since the energy is expended INSIDE the target. Personally I think almost any woman can master the .45 auto with a bit of training.

I have listed only semi- autos so far, but a good revolver is HARD too beat. I would go with a .357 magnum since .38 special can be used for both practice and defense. S&W mod. 66/19 with a 2 3/4" barrel, Colt Python (IF you got the MONEY) with a 2" barrel, Ruger Security Six/Speed Six/GP100 with 2-3" barrel, Taurus .357 with 2-3" barrel... These are GREAT choices. A revolver is simple, rugged and reliable, it is limited in ammo capacity and speed of reload, but as the saying goes "If 'ya can't get it done with six, 'ya can't get it done".

My advise is: (1) Handle LOTS of guns, find the one that fits YOU best. (2) Go to a range where you can shoot the guns you have chosen BEFORE you buy, just because a gun feels good in your hand doesn't mean it will shoot well for YOU. (3) Find the gun that "speaks" to YOU, some people will say that a gun has no personality, no soul...it's ONLY A TOOL...I disagree, a gun has to be an extension of YOU. You are trusting this "tool" to protect YOU and YOUR LOVED ONES.

I want the one that is going to be like a good, old friend... someone I trust with my life.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,673 Times in 4,074 Posts

A lady friend of mine wanted some shooting lessons and had been talked in to an smith feather weight 38 special.
worst gun I ever shot , all the energy backed up in my hand and I did not want to shoot it again and neither did she.
I let her fire my ruger security 6 .357 mag , and she fell in love so badly that she emediately bought a ruger .357 mag for her self, a full size 6" barrel revolver , I was so supprized.
Admitidly a heavier weapon, but something she can be comfortable practicing with.
Even with mag ammo it is more fun to shoot.
Some training and a lot of practice need to invested for a whille, to get the muscle memory established, othewise wiggling some gun in the face of danger is just going to make it laugh and take it from you .
Like driving a car proper skills should not be overlooked.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,301 Times in 634 Posts

I suggest something like a .38. I have S&W .38 Airweight. You can get one with/without a hammer. They are lightweight and easier to conceal. However, they do have some recoil (kick) that you will have to get used to; but it is really just a matter of getting used to it. Admittedly, they are not really a lot of fun to shoot at the range and are not really designed for that purpose. They have one purpose only, and that is to take out the bad guy. I have a small hand, and I am able to deal with the snappy recoil. If you get a different grip that might help with recoil but will probably make the gun bigger and harder to conceal. If you don't have much experience in shooting, I would strongly suggest a revolver, as opposed to a semi-auto pistol. Also, I have a S&W .22 mag revolver AirLite. It does not have that much recoil.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Former U.S.M.C. 0311

My wife uses a Ruger Revolver .327 Magnum
It is more than a .22 and more accurate than a .380.. easy on the recoil too.. Just perfect for a petite woman.