Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid > Fitness Blogs
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Keep Honking. Im Reloadin

Thanked 3,163 Times in 996 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default FarmerChad's WeightLoss

Advertise Here

I have really debated in the recent weeks about starting a thread pertaining to weight loss and fitness. I guess its the idea of one putting there selves out there, in view of the world, for critique and criticism. But maybe thats whats needed?

Lets be totally honest, I've always been obese. With one exception from about 2001-2002 I had lost quite a bit of weight. I was down to about 190. Don't know why I gave up. I think I became to comfortable, thinking that I could start over anytime.

So back in February I went for my yearly check-up. I really dreaded stepping on the scales. 290 pounds. Egaads. I knew I had and was putting on weight, but not that much. Oh yeah, Im only 5'7". Then, to help pour some more salt on the wound my Doctor put me on Blood Pressure medicine. He also gave me information pertaining to the "Dash Diet".

At that moment I knew I had to do something. I don't want to be on BP meds forever, and not to mention all of the side affects of obesity. Back pain, leg pain, etc. I decided I have to lose weight.No more fulling around.

So here is what I have been doing, in a nut shell, and I always add in some fruit with each meal. Usually a Banana. Also eliminating as much salt as possible.

B: High Protein, usually an omelet or a scramble. Such as Eggs and Homemade Sausage (to control salt, and no questionable ingredients).

L: A Salad. Usually Lettuce, Banana Peppers, Black Olives, and Onion. NO DRESSING. I can live with out, and its useless calories and salt that I don't need.

D: It varies, depending on my wife and daughter. We try to grill as much meat, pork, and chicken as possible. But with dinner I am certainly more flexible. Sometimes just a salad. Sometimes a slice of pizza, with salad. Sometimes a huge sweet potato with butter and cinnamon.

As you notice I try to avoid excessive carbohydrates. Far as I am concerned, carbs and sugar is what is wrong with most folks that are obese. Now, Im not talking every carb, just the refined junk found in soda, bread, etc.

Carbs found in fruits and veggies I am totally ok with. No problems there.

Also, recently, my wife, daughter, and I go for a walk every evening. Unless nasty weather, etc. We have currently settled on a 3 mile walk. Hopefully in the next few weeks that will increase, to say a 4 or 5 mile walk.

So originally I had over 100 pounds to lose. Thats a huge number. As of this morning I am down to:

268 lbs. So about 22 pounds lost so far. Ill keep this updated as often as possible. If anyone has ANY input, or criticism's feel free to share.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,098 Times in 368 Posts

Congrats! Keep it up. Easy as pie once you settle into a routine.

I yoyo myself. In high school I weighed 275 and then I went down to 205 with a 32" waist. Then I let myself get up to 280. Then I went back down to 220. Now I am back up! I hate this crap! I just started a new diet myself!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Trapper

About 10 years ago I lost 100lbs and thought the same. It all came back. I started again a few months or so ago and i`m down 48lbs. I feel I have about another 45lbs to go to get to the weight I want to be at. So we shall see where I end up. Keep up the great work and keep us posted how its going. I thiink I will do the same.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Awards Showcase

So todays info:

B:Banana and an Omelet with Smoked Sausage, Onions, Peppers, and Cheese.

L:Banana and a Salad, with Lettuce, Onions, Olives and a Tbsp of Mayo. (not terribly often do I add condiments)

D:Thick cut Pork Chops on the grill, Corn and Green Beans. And a Banana.

S:Small Tortilla rolled up with some strips of Pork Chop.

You'll notice I eat a lot of bananas. I like them, there filling, and supposedly the potassium is good for High Blood Pressure.

Exercise: Walked 4.8 miles, avg. 3.4 miles per hour, and burned 731 calories. The workout lasted 1:23. My legs burned for about the first mile, then it was all good.

For anyone interested, I run "My Cardio Trainer" on my HTC smartphone. Its pretty snazzy, uses GPS to give you your totals, takes into account your weight and such things.

While I was walking, I was listening to "The Survival Podcast". The hell with music.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Awards Showcase

For Today:

267 Pounds

B: Omelet with Sausage, Peppers, and Cheese. Followed by a Banana.

L: Salad with Peppers, Olives, and a leftover Pork Chop. And a Banana.

D: HotWings (not the smartest choice, but hey, its FRIDAY!) And a Banana.

Exercise: A bit disappointing, but walked 1.21 Miles, with an avg. speed of 3.0 MPH, burned 184 calories.

I spent most of my day at work shoveling gravel and spreading it with a rake. I felt that I could take it easy.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Good for you! Keep up the good work. My DH and I just started using loseit.com and it seems to be working so far. No foods forbidden....you plug in your weight, height, age and how much you want to lose per week (no more than 2lbs/wk) and it tells you how many calories you can eat per day. If you exercise, you get more calories that you can eat. Kind of like a checking account. You log everything you eat and it tells you how many calories you have have left for the day. It really makes you think twice before shoving something in your mouth Plus, it is free on iphone or on line www.loseit.com. Some of my friends use myfitnesspal which is pretty much the same thing. I think it is accountability for what you eat. Anyway, good luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to kristyc3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Awards Showcase

Ok, so today:

266 lbs.

B: Egg and Sausage Scramble, with Onions and Cheese

L: Salad and a leftover PorkChop

D: 2 Chicken Enchilada's.

Late Snack: 2 More Enchilada's

Also some Bananas throughout the day.

Excersise: 2.49 Mile Walk. Burned 385 Calories.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 AM
CTP

Thanked 1,144 Times in 605 Posts

This is awesome Chad. I actually was going to start my own weight loss thread too. You and I seem to be in a similar boat. I have actually lost 22lbs myself in the last 10 weeks. Keep up the great work and stay motivated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Blzn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Prepared

Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon.....I'm down more than 120 lbs from my highest and down about 80lbs since September 2011. I got about 100 more to go so it will be awhile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tripsigg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Wilderness Survivalist

Great to hear you're doing so well with your diet and sticking to your plan

I used to work in IT and with that spent a lot of time on my a** in front of a computer, drinking soda and eating garbage. Age 28 I one day stepped on the weight and found myself at 99.7kg (we use the metric scale over here) ~just over 200 pounds. I swore to myself I would never see myself over three figures, even though I knew I had been over just not seen it. At this time I was no longer working in IT but with private security. My job consisted of a lot of walking (used a pedometer a few days, averaging 17000 steps per shift).

I joined a gym, studied anatomy and dieting and went over my daily intake. Started very slowly with the workout the first week, but stepped it up from there. I spent 1 hour in the gym before getting to work and at least 1 hour after work, every single day. When I had a day off, I spent no less than 2 hours at the gym. This was to balance out the walking and to "convert" the fat to muscle.

I started eating a lot more than I used to, but paying attention to what I ate. All in all I ate 5-7 meals a day, with some fruit in between. Bananas are a great dietary supplement. They're packed with just what the body needs. No large meals, but plenty of small meals. I've always liked my meat rear, but no more. All red meat (though I ate very little of it, because it's not a good diet) was cooked well done. I ate a lot of chicken, without the skin, and rice as the staples.
Many people think when dieting it's important to eat less, when the opposite is usually the best. Eating often, but small, with physical work is usually the best diet.

Two and a half months with this and I was down to 74kg (~150 pounds). This left me in great physical shape and I felt better than ever.

I've now realized I'm gaining weight again, due to a very traumatic last two months. My fiance left me two months ago, three months pregnant with our child. Just up and left out of the blue. I got a text message a few weeks after saying she had applied for an abo*****, and had been to the hospital and been "diagnosed" mentally unstable. Another couple of weeks later I got news she apparently already had an abo*****... The worst part was, the pregnancy was planned and something we both looked forward to (at least that's what I thought).

I guess it's time for me to start thinking about my health again, though that's been at the very bottom of my mind these last couple of months.

I hope you continue sticking to your plan and keep up the excellent work loosing weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Prepared

Here's a gem: No one talks about this but turn down the thermostat in the winter to lose weight. Out of the thermo-neutral zone of about 75 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, the body burns more calories over and beyond the Basal Metabolic Rate to keep the body in its comfort zone.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripsigg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Awards Showcase

Today:

265 pounds

B: Usual Eggs and Sausage

L: Usual Salad except add some sliced pepperoni and guacamole

D: MeatLoaf, Sweet Potato, and Green Beans

Exercise: 2.56 Miles, Burned 392 Calories.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,339 Posts

Good job Chad, keep up the good work.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsigg View Post
Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon.....I'm down more than 120 lbs from my highest and down about 80lbs since September 2011. I got about 100 more to go so it will be awhile.
Coold deal Trips'. Get on the train and start a thread. As much as I like SB it is nice to read something other than threads about paracord and bug out canoes.

Question for you. What are your main components to weight loss? Types of exercises, etc? Always looking for new things. Best of luck in your loss.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Awards Showcase

Ok guys and gals, thought it was time for an update, cause its been a while. Don't worry, I didn't fall of the wagon or anything. Simply, not much has been going on. The last week the weather has been really crappy and I honestly think I strained my lower leg muscles, including shin splint pains. A week rest was definitely worth it.

So today I stepped on the scales:

262 pounds.

B: Omelet with shredded chicken.

L: Salad

D: Chicken in a rich wine tomato sauce, served with rice and a side salad.

Exercise: Walked 5.9 miles, burning 789 calories.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 25,169 Times in 7,074 Posts

Tip:

Only weigh yourself once a week at the exact same time of day

Been on my own plan for a while, just need around 15 pounds to get to my target.

Keep it up!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Military MOM

Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,568 Posts

Congrats on your weight loss. The most important thing is to READ the labels! Olives are not a good thing to be eating on a diet. And let's not call it a diet. Le'ts call it healthy eating. All of us have problems with this. Drinking very cold water causes you to burn more calories to process it. Of course, drink lots of water. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 AM
CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
Ok guys and gals, thought it was time for an update, cause its been a while. Don't worry, I didn't fall of the wagon or anything. Simply, not much has been going on. The last week the weather has been really crappy and I honestly think I strained my lower leg muscles, including shin splint pains. A week rest was definitely worth it.

So today I stepped on the scales:

262 pounds.

B: Omelet with shredded chicken.

L: Salad

D: Chicken in a rich wine tomato sauce, served with rice and a side salad.

Exercise: Walked 5.9 miles, burning 789 calories.
You should take another week off. Hell, you lost 3 lbs not doing anything.

It is funny how you take 2-3 days off and find out how much your body appreciates it. I have been working out 5-6 days a week for the past 12 weeks and even taking one day off helps me heal my sore body enough to have a great workout the next day after a break. Maybe I need to have more breaks myself?.?.?

Chad, what device are you using to count the burned calories? I only know when I'm on the 'mill but not walking or jogging the street.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 AM
CTP

Been a week Chad. Where you at? Updates please.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Prepared

+1 where are you chad.I've been eating better and you are one of my allies.

Murfdog