Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 AM
One day at a time........

Default Got gassed at work today...

Advertise Here

Was a NBC refresher course (im in the navy) I forgot how much CS gas really gets your eyes watering and nose running. Had to pump out some push ups with the mask off.... Not fun haha

Anyone else been gassed or otherwise exposed to the fruits of mans chemical ambitions?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nabby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Prepared

In the AF we did the exercise portion with the mask on. You found out real quick who had a good seal and who didn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwings For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 AM

I keep a can in my get home bag. While taking the kids to school my 11 year old accidentally stuck her big foot on my bag. Later that night while at my in-laws due to the tornadoes in the area I had taken in my bag cause I had a couple flashlights in it and my weather radio. I notice the broke cap, apparently touched it the wrong way and it went off like a flea bomb. And straight in my face. Whoops........ Opened the doors turned on the fans and spent the rest of the night in the basement. Ohhhh the joys of kids!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crazyak2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,000 Posts

I gas my co workers each and every time I think a breakfast burrito is a good idea.

But seriously feel your pain, although I found it easier and easier to get CSed after so many years in the service. Breath through your nose with small controlled breaths and its seems you can stay in there a moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Been gassed once...probably won't be the last time either. Also been around VX (with gear on of course).
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby View Post
Was a NBC refresher course (im in the navy) I forgot how much CS gas really gets your eyes watering and nose running. Had to pump out some push ups with the mask off.... Not fun haha

Anyone else been gassed or otherwise exposed to the fruits of mans chemical ambitions?
Not gas but been pepper sprayed by myself! Used to work on a lumberyard and we were testing the range of a particular brand, which was up to 20 ft when there was no wind! Of course as soon as I pressed the trigger, the wind whips the spray right back at my face. Haha now but man did it burn my eyes.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Hiker

I am just glad to see your post is not gassed as in prison gassed (fecal matter and urine cocktail tossed in face) Consider yourself lucky!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,530 Times in 4,843 Posts

In the Army in Training. I kind of miss it. It sure would come in handy when you get a stuffy Nose and and need to evacuate your Sinuses.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,467 Posts

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about drinking at work.

Being in the navy for 20, I have been gassed more than I would like, but as jungle boy mentioned it makes for some good times.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Recent Blog: I'm back
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 4,199 Times in 1,367 Posts

LOL yup here in Bahrain they have riots on a regular basis and they pop CS like they have an unlimited supply and it gets everywhere.

In my predeployment training this time we were occupying an embassy in Quantico and they were throwing CS grenades at us. I had one literally pop in the air beside my face. We geared up, however, unbeknownst to us the OPFOR had thrown 3 grenades down into our sleeping area in the basement. I have now learned the ability to sleep with my gas mask on.. .
CS is uncomfortable however it is NO WHERE NEAR the level of discomfort caused by OC I PROMISE!!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby View Post

CS is nothing compared to OC Spray. I was in the Marines on MSG Duty (Embassy Duty) and we all had to go through it so we knew the effect of it after we sprayed a suspect and how to deal with it, WOW talk about pain and grown Marines FREAKING OUT! I however kept my composure very well but DANG it took a lot and there was definitely mind over matter in play there. A week later we went to the gas chamber and had to do push-ups without the mask inside the CS chamber...... I;'d take the CS gas chamber for a few hours with no mask over getting OC Sprayed again ANYDAY. Checlk out some video's on youtube on OC spray and see some folks crying like babies lol
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,653 Times in 2,103 Posts

I got gassed in basic in the Navy. Got spayed in the face by a faulty valve lineup with 30% ammonia solution, almost lot the sight in one eye over that. Once in the power plant I had to go through a cloud of ammonia fumes to close a valve without a mask, that was pretty nasty.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
CS is uncomfortable however it is NO WHERE NEAR the level of discomfort caused by OC I PROMISE!!
OOhRah Marine, you know the pain lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ROMAK47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,467 Posts

Oc'd back in 2006, so sailors know the pain too. Just so happened that it was a Marine SSGT that sprayed my group, I think he was having way too much fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swen_in_ca For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,142 Times in 2,844 Posts

Been through the CS chamber 11 times now. I'm a Drill Sergeant and after the last private goes through I take my mask off and see how long I can deal with it. Trying to work up a bit of an immunity...... it's not working.

Also been OC'd before a deployment, that's not fun at all.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Hiker

I've been gassed at work too many times to count and have done the CDTF 3 times. I guess it's the sadistic side of me, but I always loved burning extra CS for my students and making them try to recite the Airman's Creed. Ah...good times.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAK47 View Post
CS is nothing compared to OC Spray. I was in the Marines on MSG Duty (Embassy Duty) and we all had to go through it so we knew the effect of it after we sprayed a suspect and how to deal with it, WOW talk about pain and grown Marines FREAKING OUT! I however kept my composure very well but DANG it took a lot and there was definitely mind over matter in play there. A week later we went to the gas chamber and had to do push-ups without the mask inside the CS chamber...... I;'d take the CS gas chamber for a few hours with no mask over getting OC Sprayed again ANYDAY. Checlk out some video's on youtube on OC spray and see some folks crying like babies lol
RODGER THAT, Id raither pop a CS grenade sitting in a standard cab toyota with the windows rolled up than get hit in the face with the OC fire extinguisher again. THAT SUCKED!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 14,713 Times in 5,248 Posts

Yes, been exposed to CS and OC (at the same time), as well as "clear out". I think it's a proprietary CS.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
SEMPER FI

Believe it or not a guy in my class was an animal. During handcuffing techniques in MSG school one of the Marines could not get the cuff pressure point to break him down into submission so they called me over knowing I was stronger than most, I did it so hard it broke the skin and he just didn't feel it. Very weird.

He was also OC Sprayed and it only effected him like maybe 50%, but this was after like 10minutes of not feeling it until he put his hands up to his eye and rubbed and then got a little bit of OC feel. Never saw another guy like that before.

You hear about a .1% that it does not effect, i was hoping I was one of them but it seriously put a beating on me, got sprayed and about 2 seconds later I felt like my head/face/eyes were on fire, went through our combat course beating on Marines along the way, fun stuff, got to dunk my face on water after for literally 3 seconds and then I walked in a circle with a bunch of crying Marines for like an hour trying to get it to wear off. I almost couldn't see for 3 days since they sprayed it IN my freaking Eye, so looking up on the projector board basically with my eyes watering for 3 straight days, wow did that suck, I almost thought I had some permanent damage to my eye but all was well after day 3.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 14,713 Times in 5,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAK47 View Post
Believe it or not a guy in my class was an animal. During handcuffing techniques in MSG school one of the Marines could not get the cuff pressure point to break him down into submission so they called me over knowing I was stronger than most, I did it so hard it broke the skin and he just didn't feel it. Very weird.

He was also OC Sprayed and it only effected him like maybe 50%, but this was after like 10minutes of not feeling it until he put his hands up to his eye and rubbed and then got a little bit of OC feel. Never saw another guy like that before.

You hear about a .1% that it does not effect, i was hoping I was one of them but it seriously put a beating on me, got sprayed and about 2 seconds later I felt like my head/face/eyes were on fire, went through our combat course beating on Marines along the way, fun stuff, got to dunk my face on water after for literally 3 seconds and then I walked in a circle with a bunch of crying Marines for like an hour trying to get it to wear off. I almost couldn't see for 3 days since they sprayed it IN my freaking Eye, so looking up on the projector board basically with my eyes watering for 3 straight days, wow did that suck, I almost thought I had some permanent damage to my eye but all was well after day 3.

It took two days on the OC for my eyes to completely recover. Six hours after I still couldn't open my eyes, they were swollen shut. The "grit" was in there for the 2 days, and the stupid thing reactivated in the shower later that night on the first day. God only knows what it really does to our eyes.