Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Can you build a M1 carbine from parts?

Advertise Here

I have looking to get a M1 carbine and have been going to gun shows over the last few months here in the northeast and prices for a beat up M1 start at 750-800 with good ones going for 1000 or more. Even the after market crap like Universal, Plainfield, and AO are going for 600 plus.

I have been looking on the internet and I have been seeing a lot of places where you can get all kinds of USGI parts for M1s. My question is, do think it is possible to build a M1 for less then $700 , and do you think you would be able to find all the parts necessary?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,856 Times in 2,096 Posts

Anything is possible. If you bought on Ebay and rooted around piles of bits at gunshows you could get most of the stuff in this link second hand. I bought a stock, foregrip and buttplate for $30 last year (I dropped a Ruger .22 into it). It was grubby but looked unissued - no dents or anything.

http://www.riverbankarmory.com/parts1.html

But the barrel and receiver are going to cost you a fair bit.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 5,657 Times in 2,694 Posts

I don't think you should lump Auto Ordinance with Plainfield and Universal. The AO is GI spec and a great shooter. We have two Inlands in the safe and they are good shooters but the AO will smoke them on the range.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Hunter

I have had good luck with the Plainfields plus they take GI parts.

Remember...Universal is not!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Trapper

I would really consider getting a AO .. . . They are like USGI but new..
I saw one at a pawn shop for 300 bux a few months ago I should have picked it up...

the carbine is actually more expensive if you break them down and sell the parts..
you probably aren't going to be able to put one together..
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Trapper

For the same amount of money you could get a M1 Garand from CMP and have a rifle you can shoot in Garand matches and be good for a much longer range.

If you guy carbine barrels DO NOT GET THE ONE THAT IS CHROME LINED They are headspaced below min spec and it won't chamber a round till you ream it taking out all the chrome assuming you can find a carbine reamer that will cut chrome without ruining it. The gov't found this out at RIA back in 60s and they dumped them in the PDO yard and every once in a while you see one at a gun show but they cannot be utilized without a lot of work.

I believe I have a used barrel, a trigger group, bolt assy, op rod and maybe a stock. Not sure on that one. I am thinking I sold it a couple years back. Hit me with a PM if you are interested as I sure don't need them.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,096 Times in 28,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
I don't think you should lump Auto Ordinance with Plainfield and Universal. The AO is GI spec and a great shooter. We have two Inlands in the safe and they are good shooters but the AO will smoke them on the range.
The AOs are really good guns. My last Inland costed me $700. I've kicked myself ever since at not just getting an AO for the same price instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The AOs are really good guns. My last Inland costed me $700. I've kicked myself ever since at not just getting an AO for the same price instead.
yup, they are pretty much exactly the same but one is new.

the only draw back is the flip peep slight on the AO.. but that can be considered a plus
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,541 Times in 838 Posts
Default Yes You Can But Do Some Homework First

Been building all G.I. mix masters (various manufactures) since high school. There are two basic ways you can go...the first is to reproduce/restore a particular make and model as manufactured.....or as issued. This is a hobby onto itself and lots of fun.

The second way is to just build up an excellent, tight, all G.I. part Carbine from various manufactures just to have a good shooter that has much less resale value. This way is easier and just as much fun, but the intent and finished product is different and cheaper.

One must be very aware of fake cheap parts that may not work. Already excellent answers regarding the basics and thank you. How about joining the DCM forums? I did only a short time ago. Also consider buying some books that will help out a lot.

I would just stay away from new production or older production non-G.I. manufacture. Others will disagree. That's fine, no problem. G.I. (government issue) parts are still available if you know where to look. You will need some basic assembly tools.

Also you will need some mechanical ability, but not a lot. The 30 cal M1 Carbine is a very simple rifle to build, maintain and shoot. The kids and lady love this platform. Would make a perfect, G.I. BOB gun. HB of CJ (old coot)
The Following User Says Thank You to HB of CJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

Have you looked into the Civilian Marksmanship Program? They offer surplus M1 Garands and M1 Carbines for sale in different grades. You have to meet some basic requirements to purchase from it, such as taking a basic marksmanship class, but it is a great program.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Note that their stock varies throughout the year.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Fringe Element

Thanked 3,116 Times in 1,396 Posts

AO is made by Kahr!!

I would buy one of those, on that basis alone, over *any* "real GI" carbine.

(Note to the guy who passed one up in a pawnshop for $300: Go kick yourself HARD, Right NOW._
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM
New and yet, old

Thanked 2,618 Times in 709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollreeMappEsq View Post
Have you looked into the Civilian Marksmanship Program? They offer surplus M1 Garands and M1 Carbines for sale in different grades. You have to meet some basic requirements to purchase from it, such as taking a basic marksmanship class, but it is a great program.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Note that their stock varies throughout the year.
CMP is out of carbines and does not expect to ever have any again. They have a couple of returned carbines from various agencies in Bavaria on the auction side and they still sell receiver/barrel combinations but that's it.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 5,657 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
CMP is out of carbines and does not expect to ever have any again. They have a couple of returned carbines from various agencies in Bavaria on the auction side and they still sell receiver/barrel combinations but that's it.
Maybe if we don't have our current president by this time next year the Koreans will still have the M1's and M1 Carbines that were slated for CMP a couple of years ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ique-m-rifles/
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Trapper

I lost mine at a pawn shop .My wife pawned it while
I was in the hospitial for 30.00 back in 99. By the time
I found out about it they said the time ran out to pick it up
and they sold it .a long with my springfield 30-06 for 45.00
so became x wife we were get the big D any way . They were given to me by my granddad I think that hurt more because of that than any thing.