Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 AM

Default PDF after SHTF ?

Advertise Here

I have a thumb drive with lots & lots of PDF files.. maybe I'm just not seeing the obvious, but how will we access these files after an EMP or loss of grid ? I can't print them all out, it would take months.

Thanks !!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 AM

Your computer will be fried. You won't be able to turn it on, let alone access files from a thumb drive. Start printing?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts

use the search option .... read up on "Faraday cages" ....
Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,535 Times in 7,688 Posts

I'm in the process of getting a Kindle reader or similar. It would have to be protected in a Faraday cage, but they will do PDF files.

The reason I haven't done it yet is that I want a reader with user-replaceable batteries. None of the Kindles, to my knowledge, have that. You have to send it back to Amazon to get the battery replaced. That makes it not a really good long-term prep item, IMO.

It may be that if the battery is bad, they perhaps could be run off a laptop or similar low-voltage supply. Something like a battery pack connected to it. I can recharge normal batteries, I just need to be sure I can feed that power to the e-reader.

FWIW: I just bought, and returned, a Kindle Fire. It's neat, but my smart phone does most of what I'd need a Fire to do. It's also heavy, and some of the storage is in the cloud, which means if the internet is down, or the grid is down, it can't access that cloud. It does have about 6 gb of local memory (depending on apps and such), so it's not bad, but I want something with which I am not dependent upon the system.

The FIRE is nice at many levels, just not for me.

I'm looking seriously at the other Kindles. Also will look at the Nook, and a few other offerings.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,764 Times in 649 Posts

IMHO I think it would be advantageous to you if you printed them. This way you would always have a hard copy and if anything happened to your electronics, you would still keep all your info with in being stored in your "survival notebook."
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post

The reason I haven't done it yet is that I want a reader with user-replaceable batteries. None of the Kindles, to my knowledge, have that. You have to send it back to Amazon to get the battery replaced. That makes it not a really good long-term prep item, IMO.

It may be that if the battery is bad, they perhaps could be run off a laptop or similar low-voltage supply. Something like a battery pack connected to it. I can recharge normal batteries, I just need to be sure I can feed that power to the e-reader.

I have a small solar charging panel array that has several charging options, with a USB port. You can plug the reader directly into it and charge it during the day....presuming you store both in a Faraday cage.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,535 Times in 7,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGunn View Post
I have a small solar charging panel array that has several charging options, with a USB port. You can plug the reader directly into it and charge it during the day....presuming you store both in a Faraday cage.
But will that work after the battery has gone bad? In other words, does it bypass the battery?

If I buy one today, and TSHTF five years from now, and that battery is done, can I still use it by the method you propose (which method, btw, I also have)?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

maybe, I have a never tried it since the battery in mine is still good. If the solar charger puts out enough current then, theoretically, it would work. I have an old laptop that has a pooched battery and will work when plugged in.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Hardcore survival

It would be a good idea to save them on a CD (or DVD - more space) as well as having them on your thumb drive. CD/DVD's are pretty EMP proof.

...and keep one computer in the "family" in a good EMP-safe place.
"Faraday" box, or bunker or what have you...

- Basey

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to basecampUSA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Stayin' above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecampUSA View Post
It would be a good idea to save them on a CD (or DVD - more space) as well as having them on your thumb drive. CD/DVD's are pretty EMP proof.
I agree with Basey; make as many different copies as you can stand. Two thumb drives, two DVD's (bury one set in a safe stash), copy to Kindle and laptop, sign up for DropBox (free) to keep a copy in the cloud. And by all means, print as much as you can.

You never know what will survive and what will fail, so it's best to be ready for anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to MCopes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,331 Times in 3,754 Posts

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=153878

The more solutions you have, the more storage space you need, and the more trade goods you got....
Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM

I have thought about this same scenario. I'm planning on using my last Android smartphone that is just collecting dust. I can upgrade the SDCARD to 32GB and install apps that work offline from the Android market using wireless.

Spare batteries usually drop way down in price after about a year. The battery should also last longer as it doesn't have to run the radio but the screen draws huge amounts of power as compared to the other CMOS components.

I'm currently researching how to totally disable the cellular portion for opsec.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Hiding in plain sight

Thanked 1,228 Times in 372 Posts

As far as CME's and EMP's I don't think anyone knows what will or won't be effected besides the power grid. I would think if something is plugged up when it happens then it may be toast nobody really knows for sure. I have an ereader I don't use anymore because I just got myself a tablet and will now store the ereader away with some other things I would like to keep in some sort of an event. If you have as many books as me on your kindle/reader then printing them all is not an option. I would print the most important to you and stick them somewhere. I would take the time now to read the most important stuff because if EVERYTHING gets toasted then reading will be something you will have little time for at least for a long time in the beginning.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Desert Rat

A SHTF isn't the same as TEOTWAWKI, an EMP is the latter. In such a situation, most documents will be worthless. A flash drive is great for a BOB but you should have originals and copies in a safe place. If a wide scale EMP were to take place, I think your documentation would be the least of your worries. I don't mean to be off subject or mean at all, just my $.02, hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to captianpattson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,375 Times in 2,007 Posts

I think a kindle in a Faraday cage would solve your issues (Note: the screens are weak). A rechargeable battery and a solar panel will solve your power issue. Just my opinion.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 PM

You are at ground zero if your devices are fried by an EMP. If it was nuclear, you will be dying soon of radiation poisoning or be maimed. There is a term called RAD HARD. Its what the military uses to spec out electronic devices. The biggest threat an EMP poses is disrupting currently running computer systems as the EMP can cause devices to flip bits which can cause the computer systems to behave in an undefined manner (blue screen of death so to speak). An EMP also has the potential to flip bits in non-volatile devices (non-volatile means that the device doesn't lose its contents when power is removed). For example, a smart phone operating system is stored in non-volatile memory, if that memory is disrupted, your phone could cease to boot even if it was powered off during the EMP.

Documents would be the last of your worries if you were at ground zero of an EMP as someone posted earlier. However, if you were not at ground zero and was close (say 15 miles away) to an EMP, then SJHTF (j=just) because chaos will ensue.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 AM

After reading everyone's thoughts.. Obviously an EMP is not likely, but a grid down for an extended period might be. I'm going to starting looking for an early generation Ipod Touch with 8gb or 32gb size, then I can update and charge on a regular schedule and otherwise keep sealed up in an ammo can.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,511 Times in 514 Posts

I am one of those individuals that love writing and reading. I am a Pen Junkie. I love old Fountain Pens and Ink. I write everything down, I have journals of thoughts, serial numbers, notes, a couple of Survival / Camping Journals. I have printed alot of pages and posts that I found interesting and keep them in a binder. I have plenty of pens and journals stored in my preps. I plan to pretty well abandon computers if the grid goes down for whatever reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Pow Pow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM

The multiple backups of data on thumb drives, discs, etc. mentioned above are just common sense. If it's important, it's important enough to have multiple copies.

However, I'm also a big supporter of having a printed copy of everything as well.

The paperless society is an idea - - - that looks great on paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to darkskies25 For This Useful Post: