Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 PM
LaRue LaRue is offline
Simple Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 428
Thanks: 55
Thanked 282 Times in 142 Posts
Default Kerosene Shelf life?



Advertise Here

I have picked up some kerosene lanterns and I was wondering if kerosene has a shelf life like gas does? I can't find any clear answers on the net. Thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaRue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Ghostrider247's Avatar
Ghostrider247 Ghostrider247 is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 837
Thanks: 215
Thanked 369 Times in 181 Posts
Default

From what people have told me, Kerosene will last just about forever.
I asked this question once before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostrider247 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Scruggs's Avatar
Scruggs Scruggs is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,698
Thanks: 2,126
Thanked 2,893 Times in 832 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Ghostrider is correct. I am using kerosene that was stored decades ago. Long before they even put red dye in it at the gas stations. It doesn't even evaporate much and works fine for all lamps, including Aladdin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scruggs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Maverick88's Avatar
Maverick88 Maverick88 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: N.C.
Posts: 644
Thanks: 852
Thanked 207 Times in 140 Posts
Default

You can put kerosine in your oil lamps. I'm a little hesitant to try that but if you can that could come in handy.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
gunguy's Avatar
gunguy gunguy is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Puget Sound area
Posts: 172
Thanks: 235
Thanked 201 Times in 77 Posts
Default Kerosene storage.

Having worked as a refinery chemist one of the things we tested regularly was kerosene. To answer your question; it will last almost forever depending upon what kind of container you store it in. Where I worked it was a single cut product, in other words it came off a distillation tower on one tray and was never mixed with anything else. It is a pure product that if stored in tin or steel will last almost forever. Plastics can absorb light & change with time so if I was storing it I would keep it in 1 gallon tin cans. The distillation tower makes the following products from heaviest to the lightest; coming off the bottom was Kerosene, next up was JP4(jet fuel), followed by B Naptha or what is more commonly called white gas or camp stove fuel. These are all strait run products that usually do not have anything added except JP4 which they add a conductivity agent which reduces the ability for it to static spark.
Any of these products above can have a very long life shelf life if stored properly unlike gasoline which can have up to 8 different components mixed together.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to gunguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Thedishdoc's Avatar
Thedishdoc Thedishdoc is offline
audentes fortuna iuvat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 924
Thanks: 612
Thanked 1,012 Times in 384 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy View Post
Having worked as a refinery chemist one of the things we tested regularly was kerosene. To answer your question; it will last almost forever depending upon what kind of container you store it in. Where I worked it was a single cut product, in other words it came off a distillation tower on one tray and was never mixed with anything else. It is a pure product that if stored in tin or steel will last almost forever. Plastics can absorb light & change with time so if I was storing it I would keep it in 1 gallon tin cans. The distillation tower makes the following products from heaviest to the lightest; coming off the bottom was Kerosene, next up was JP4(jet fuel), followed by B Naptha or what is more commonly called white gas or camp stove fuel. These are all strait run products that usually do not have anything added except JP4 which they add a conductivity agent which reduces the ability for it to static spark.
Any of these products above can have a very long life shelf life if stored properly unlike gasoline which can have up to 8 different components mixed together.
Are you saying the plastic or the kerosene would absorb light and change over time? So can I store kerosene in plastic if I store the barrel in a dark area? It won't be pitch black but it won't be in direct sunlight either. Actually it's pretty light in the shed since I have two of those white corrugated panels installed in the roof for light during the day but the rest of the roof is tin. I bought some 15 white gallon drums I was planning to store kerosene in since they would weigh less when full than 55 gallon barrels would. Also do I need to worry about expansion, venting, condensation, etc or can I just fill them up and tighten down the lids? Should I fill them to the top or leave some space for expansion? It gets pretty hot here in the summer and they will be in a shaded shed stored outside away from the residence for safety reasons, so they would be exposed to pretty high temps during summer months. I read on a kerosene lamp site that one gallon of kerosene would allow you to burn about 5 standard lamps 4 - 5 hours a night for an entire month. So I figured 15 gallons would be go for an entire year. This is what I planned on using.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thedishdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 PM
gunguy's Avatar
gunguy gunguy is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Puget Sound area
Posts: 172
Thanks: 235
Thanked 201 Times in 77 Posts
Default Hydrocarbon storage

I would allow a minimum of 12 % outage for expansion & contraction.
There is usually a line with arrows pointing at the line near the top and you can always use that as a safe fill line.
If it is possible I recommend you install a small solar fan to vent out some of that hot summer heat to keep the temperatures down. I have seen these for $65.00 with solar panel. They start up when it gets hot & shut down when it cools off.

I posted this sometime ago regarding plastics & water storage.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...798#post217798
Post #17

Plastic or more correctly polymer compounds that are used for hydrocarbon storage must be able to withstand the hydrocarbon. It can be absorbed into the walls eventually causing the molecules to fail(soften) and breakdown. All the above ratings are for water, juice, acidic compounds etc.
Look at the symbol on you storage container. If it has one give me the data & I will tell you if it is hydrocarbon safe. Most of the strait run products can be stored in the heavier containers like you have. The UV will damage the container more than the kerosene.
I almost forgot.
We used Nalgene to store hydrocarbons in. Looks like plastic or polymer jug but is almost impervious to hydrocarbons.

Last edited by gunguy; 11-21-2008 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Added info on Nalgene.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gunguy For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
FerronBoy FerronBoy is online now
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy View Post
Having worked as a refinery chemist one of the things we tested regularly was kerosene. To answer your question; it will last almost forever depending upon what kind of container you store it in. Where I worked it was a single cut product, in other words it came off a distillation tower on one tray and was never mixed with anything else. It is a pure product that if stored in tin or steel will last almost forever. Plastics can absorb light & change with time so if I was storing it I would keep it in 1 gallon tin cans. The distillation tower makes the following products from heaviest to the lightest; coming off the bottom was Kerosene, next up was JP4(jet fuel), followed by B Naptha or what is more commonly called white gas or camp stove fuel. These are all strait run products that usually do not have anything added except JP4 which they add a conductivity agent which reduces the ability for it to static spark.
Any of these products above can have a very long life shelf life if stored properly unlike gasoline which can have up to 8 different components mixed together.
thankyouthankyouthankyou, just what I was looking for. Can you answer another question? I have a kerosene heater that requires clear kerosene but a five-gallon metal container I bought turned out to be pink. Does the color make a difference?
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 49,580
Thanks: 89,250
Thanked 100,515 Times in 32,625 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerronBoy View Post
thankyouthankyouthankyou, just what I was looking for. Can you answer another question? I have a kerosene heater that requires clear kerosene but a five-gallon metal container I bought turned out to be pink. Does the color make a difference?
You can burn the red kerosene in a heater, but it will foul the wicks a little sooner. You can help it burn cleaner by adding 1/2 ounce methanol per 5 gallons kerosene. Those clean burn kerosene additives are just methanol. You can get it in auto stores as Heet fuel line antifreeze.

I've burned 100 gallons of red kerosene through 2 heaters and the wicks on both are still in great condition.
__________________
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Old Warrior's Avatar
Old Warrior Old Warrior is offline
Not what I appear to be
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 2,447
Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default

MikeK, I see that gunguy hasn't posted since 2009, but is listed as a VIP member. The information on fuels that he contributed when active was quite valuable. Is he still around ?

I know there have been many threads since then that he could have shared his knowledge as a refinery chemist, yet he did not post. Just sayin'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
billwilla's Avatar
billwilla billwilla is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 774
Thanks: 130
Thanked 659 Times in 303 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedishdoc View Post
Are you saying the plastic or the kerosene would absorb light and change over time? So can I store kerosene in plastic if I store the barrel in a dark area? It won't be pitch black but it won't be in direct sunlight either. Actually it's pretty light in the shed since I have two of those white corrugated panels installed in the roof for light during the day but the rest of the roof is tin. I bought some 15 white gallon drums I was planning to store kerosene in since they would weigh less when full than 55 gallon barrels would. Also do I need to worry about expansion, venting, condensation, etc or can I just fill them up and tighten down the lids? Should I fill them to the top or leave some space for expansion? It gets pretty hot here in the summer and they will be in a shaded shed stored outside away from the residence for safety reasons, so they would be exposed to pretty high temps during summer months. I read on a kerosene lamp site that one gallon of kerosene would allow you to burn about 5 standard lamps 4 - 5 hours a night for an entire month. So I figured 15 gallons would be go for an entire year. This is what I planned on using.

I used to get those barrels for free from a place I worked. They got them with laundry detergent, fabric softener, other laundry type stuff. I store fuel in a few, store water in some that would be used for non drinking purposes. I also cut a couple in half for the wife to use as starter planters in early spring. I wish I could still get them for free, better yet if they were safe to store potable water in.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
willthrill81 willthrill81 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 469
Thanks: 826
Thanked 809 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy View Post
Any of these products above can have a very long life shelf life if stored properly unlike gasoline which can have up to 8 different components mixed together.
Actually, gasoline can actually be comprised of up to 200 different substances.

Kerosene will oxidize and turn yellow if left exposed to oxygen for long periods of time. Sealed up in an airtight container, it will stay good for a long, long time.

Put it in some 15 gallon HDPE drums that you can find locally for $20 or less ($5 where I live), use a bung wrench to tighten it down well, and you're good to go.
Old Today, 09:38 AM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 49,580
Thanks: 89,250
Thanked 100,515 Times in 32,625 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Warrior View Post
MikeK, I see that gunguy hasn't posted since 2009, but is listed as a VIP member. The information on fuels that he contributed when active was quite valuable. Is he still around ?

I know there have been many threads since then that he could have shared his knowledge as a refinery chemist, yet he did not post. Just sayin'.
He's still around and has been active recently. Hopefully he'll share some of his knowledge with us.
__________________
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:42 AM
mmamom's Avatar
mmamom mmamom is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 325
Thanks: 23
Thanked 620 Times in 199 Posts
Default

I'm glad this thread was brought out of mothballs. DIL and I were talking about this yesterday morning.
Old Today, 10:52 AM
diana's Avatar
diana diana is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 153
Thanks: 1,499
Thanked 350 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Can I store kerosene in my garage?
Old Today, 11:43 AM
Old Warrior's Avatar
Old Warrior Old Warrior is offline
Not what I appear to be
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 2,447
Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
Can I store kerosene in my garage?
Some here would say no, but I do. Kerosene is a combustible liquid, it is not a flammable liquid as defined by CFR 49.

In simple terms, it will burn if the liquid is ignited, but it will not flash like gasoline does because the gasoline fumes will ignite.
Old Today, 12:47 PM
willthrill81 willthrill81 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 469
Thanks: 826
Thanked 809 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Warrior View Post
Some here would say no, but I do. Kerosene is a combustible liquid, it is not a flammable liquid as defined by CFR 49.

In simple terms, it will burn if the liquid is ignited, but it will not flash like gasoline does because the gasoline fumes will ignite.
The only rational argument that storing kerosene is dangerous is because it is flammable. But kerosene does not have flammable vapors like gasoline. The kerosene itself burns similarly to diesel, and like diesel, it will not explode.

Think about this for a minute though. We all travel thousands upon thousands of miles at high speeds with internal combustion engines and hot exhaust only a short distance from gasoline, which is potentially much more dangerous. I know of no one who refuses to ride in a car due to the risk of a fire or explosion.

If you are storing gasoline properly in airtight containers that will not vent (you must retain the gasoline vapors for it to burn properly), fires are only a risk if the gasoline container is itself compromised.

I've heard of guys putting out their cigarette by dunking it in liquid gasoline. I wouldn't recommend that, but it illustrates the point: gasoline vapors are what are flammable. Contain them, and the risk of fire plummets.
Old Today, 06:28 PM
Old Warrior's Avatar
Old Warrior Old Warrior is offline
Not what I appear to be
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 2,447
Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default

Me thinks thee did not comprehend my post.

What do you think you stated differently, other than folks putting a cigarette out in gasoline, which is not a source of ignition because it is not an open flame or a spark.
Old Today, 08:33 PM
FerronBoy FerronBoy is online now
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Found the answer to why some kerosene is red. Read about it at this link - http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/WM/Kerosene.html
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
kerosene, kerosene for shtf, stockpiling kerosene, storing kerosene



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net