Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Setting up the Perimeter

Advertise Here

I was just thinking of the suggestions one needs a 100 yard clear field of fire fencing and barriers. Okay and acre is about 208 feet on a side so roughly 16acres would be needed to make up a 100 yard field of fire. That is a lot of realestate it is enought to produce the food a family would need and raise enough livestock as well. Dedicating that much for a minium field of fire may just be to much a dedication of resources besided it works two ways. If you are on the cleared area TAG YOU ARE IT.
For prospective a square mile of land will cost roughtly $1 million if priced at $1500 an acre. My retreat is 40 acres so well will have to come up with some other gorilla devices and traps.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Not that 40 acres is not preferable but according to my calculations, you could just about do it on a 10 acres square. Here are my figures please check them as my cold medication is making me feel a bit “spacey” today.
1. 10 acres = 43,560 ft2 (1 acre) x 10 = 435,600 ft2 with a perimeter of 660 ft on a side for a total of 2,640 ft. In my view, this could be a simple barbed wire fence meant to slow them down and make a “dead line” for shooting intruders.
2. To the center of the 10 acres is 330 ft. minimum so, after allowing 300 ft for your clear field of fire, you have a 30 ft (to center) left for your buildings.
3. A 60 x 60 ft area for your buildings in the center of the property may be a bit tight for some.
4. Next a tight strong inner perimeter fence goes out 35 to 40 ft from the edges of your buildings (the 60 x 60 ft area) all the way round.
5. The 35 feet will come out of your 100 yards of course but still give you 88 or 85 yards for a good clear field of fire especially if you are firing from protected positions, trenches or even fox holes within your inner fencing.
6. This 88 or 85 yards of field can be used for your potatoes, beans or, possibly, even corn if planted in hills with thought to firing lanes and so on.
Seem reasonable?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,509 Times in 735 Posts

230... that works for me....

FD... one of the possibilities that enters my mind when thinking on this very subject is sniping. At some point, the clear field of fire becomes an UNclear field of fire, at least in areas other than flat lands of desert, right? My mightmare scenario is some patient guy, or group of guys, hanging out at a treeline some 100-150 yds away, with a scoped Remington 700, waiting for whatever he /they consider to be the right conditions for a shot.

Whatever your field is, there needs to be a way to determine if someone is using it against you. I'd recommend that there be at least some technological defensive force multiplier... cameras, thermal imagers, sensitive microphones, trips sensors... you get the idea.

At some point there will need to be patrols or an active observation post. But I hate to think about the manpower require to do that, and the risks to them.

So.... it would appear that there needs to be a combination of the two... maybe with some dogs added in.

With the perimeter of the field of fire under a reasonable scrutiny, the perceived safety of it, from the intruders' perspective, can work for you.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,897 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

the best way to deal with that is to know the tree/scrub line and make some wooden stand offs that make it difficult to shoot from certain areas. Even ideally you cant set up standoffs everywhere, so you place them where you can and know where they arent. THAT is where you place your COPs (concealed observation posts).

Now with the time and resources I would sink some steel, Plastic, or concrete culverts into the ground to make a tunnel approach from a concealed area to prevent an observer from being seen getting into the COP.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Hunter

Awards Showcase

My answer to that is several lines of pine wind breaks. At the first or outer perimeter, the branches are cut to give a view of the fence line. The branches on the inner perimeter are thinned but still offer a good screen. It is not perfect, as those working in some parts of the fields would be exposed from certain angles. The house and inner gardens, work areas and outhouse would be much better screened.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Hunter

Here is one way to protect you perimeter from vehicles

The Following User Says Thank You to texasok63 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Hunter

I have played around with different ways to monitor fence lines. In our retreat area, it is fenced off by the standard metal t-post with 6 barbwires in use. We isolated 3 of the wires of the fence with electric fence insulators, the type that are black and look like a triangle (available in farm and ranch stores) that insulate the barb wire from the steel post. These are used in electric fence applications to keep livestock in. It is placed around the post and the steel clip attaches around it and the post to secure the barbwire. The entire perimeter is done this way and each of the insulated wires are attached to an electricians continuity and resistance tester. With a little bit of tweaking this device will take a measurement and after recorded will monitor the wires for changes. If anything comes in contact with one of the insulated wires or cuts it will change the continuity and resistance meter and sets off a alarm. It could only be bypassed by someone who was familar that you had the system setup. We have had a few false alarms caused on windy days by blowing tumble weeds. We have considered taking additional steps and breaking it down in quadrants or just using it in the vulnerable areas. Point is it works very well and yes we have it set up to be charged if necessary to fend off multiple intruders. Just something you can consider if you already have a standard livestock fence.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Crack A Joke, Split A Gut

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Bollards for cars, staggered reinforced bollards and ditches (big steep ones) for tanks, razor wire for perimeter, hardened observation points for sniping, dogs for patrols, flat and well kept (clear of debris) slightly sloping fields to make sure the 'ghilie wookies' don't approach extremely close inside the clear 'home area', and maybe a few claymores for confidence. Sure worked on D-Day quite well for a while for the Germans.

Another idea is to use woods around all this just to keep things a bit more hidden from view as to all that you have in store. While they can go up to the edge and snipe, you can have fake (or even real) mine field signs. Throw animal or garbage waste along this area to make it less pleasant to sit and stay parked there. Throw in some thick brush mixed with more wire and I'd even do trenches, near the hold, one last hole to fall in and a nice cover spot. As for snipers afar, why not set up dummy targets?

All this is a bit overboard I readily admit, but that's an idea on the ideal way to approach it. If you really are concerned with snipers, best way to ward them off is a bullet proof glass observation area. You can take shots cause your rifle just fits the hole in the glass, you can see through the glass easy with some 40x spotting scopes on floor mounted tripods. Can't shoot in, you can shoot out. They'd have a hard time with that except with a .338 Lapua or .50BMG rounds. In that case I'd camo the glass up with netting. Make it an 'unseen' nightmare.

Could even use some well placed bear traps or punji pits for that 'extra' touch.

(Yes I know this is overboard, as I said, but maybe this will give you some useful ideas on the methodology.)
Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase

He
Quote:
re is one way to protect you perimeter from vehicles
You should have something. The vehicle blitz is an old tactic and very dangerous. It takes only seconds to travel the hundred yards at speed. Raiders would then be right at you door with sledge hammers and shotguns. Most of my fence is RR tie and backed my multiple lines of close trees to prevent this but gates and entries will need to barricaded with something more mobile.

I like the idea of using the change the continuity to sets off an alarm with a resistance meter, therapidbandit. Using a battery powered elect fence charger with a Solar Charger could be very useful.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Crack A Joke, Split A Gut

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Could always set up some sort of curves to keep them out. They'd need to turn to clear them all, and couldn't do it at high speed. Used that to our advantage alot in Iraq. Cement blocks and they are funneled into them. Only way is to go slow, and that draws more fire.