Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevPaul View Post
I have owned several "folding" stock weapons, and currently own one AK factory folder.
For concealment or Airborne uses, a folding stock is fine, but the ergonomics are very poor.
Full stock gets it done every time.
Folders are a comprimise.
I can hit with what ever, because a tool is a tool, but some require more effort.
Think of the use, think of .......................
Think.
How do you intend too use this platform, will it fill your needs, or will it cause failure?
I can use it, but prefer fixed, but I may need concealment, and fixed will give me away.............
OP's specific.
Will it suffice in an all around senerio ?
.02 cents
This,

Folding stocks tend to wobble a lot and slow down target acquisition in my opinion. Now I have seen a difference in side folders vs under folders. Side folders seem to have less wobble, again in my opinion.

As for the original 1980's remark about underfolders messing with magazines etc. Unless you're using drums you're not going to run into an issue with magazines on an underfolder. Now activating the safety can be a small task with the stock folded under but there isn't an issue with deactivating it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 50calray For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,930 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I sent an email to J&T Distributing, about this folding stock. http://riflestocks.com/index2.htm

The reply email said the stock alone it $64.95. $65 for a metal stock aint bad in my books. I paid $39 or $49 for a mini-30 folding stock 10+ years ago.

Someone suggested an AR-15 stock, that is just ugly.

The other option is the TAPCO stock. Tapco would be the less expensive option. I think cheaper then dirt and midway USA both sell the tapco stocks.
That ACE stock requires you to also buy the rear trunion block to use with their stocks. It is about the same cost as the stock. I hear those are pretty durable though. The only thing better is the AK100 series folding stock, you can get the whole kit on Kvar.com, they are a bit pricey though. The good thing about the Kvar stock is that it doesn't look like a folding stock immediately.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=251&page=5

It requires you to make a perm. change to the receiver however.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Editor, Ready Magazine

The side folder on my Galil is quite comfortable and very stable, but is not as good for accurate shooting as a fixed stock. I would advise getting the same style is you want a folder.

On another subject, the bolt issue can be fixed by installing a Lightning Bolt from Colorado Shooting Sports (http://www.coloradoshootingsports.com/). It moves the bolt handle to the left side out of the way of the stock, and has the added advantage of allowing the right handed shooter to run the bolt without moving the trigger hand from the grip.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,263 Posts

Man...

Some of you guys here are such diva's when it comes to stocks.

I have underfolders and wire side folders and a couple of full stocks, even thumbhole stocks.

I'm a total AK whore and I'm indifferent as to whether or not its an underfolder or wire folder.

Once a folding stock is locked into my shoulder I cannot perceive any more movement than a fixed stock so long at the underfolder stock is not damaged.

I could be biased though, I love wire and underfolders. Even my FAL is a folder.

I have no input for the OP about left side folders.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Someone said earlier that they never heard of the TAPCO AK folder breaking. Well mine just did. Emailed TAPCO to see if they will replace or at least send the parts to fix it. If not, I will likely replace it with a collapsible M4 style or even a polymer American sized classic fixed stock.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Update: TAPCO sent me a replacement pin, this one is steel. Popped right in, works good, it seems like the stock has less play now, although it is a little harder to open and close.

Verdict: TAPCO is great. But when most stocks are $75-150, you get what you pay for with a $40 one. I might want something tougher if I was a PMC or knew the S was gonna HTF tomorrow, but for my needs and budget they work pretty good. That said, x2 to the guy who said folders are for storing a weapon, collapsible stocks are more reliable and more useful (i.e. when wearing a vest, or adjusting length of pull)
Old 05-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

My favorite AK (of those I own) is my Yugoslavian underfolder. It does NOT hit the magazine. It clears a 30-round mag no problem. This allows me to fire it in the folded position if there is no time to unfold the stock, and allows me to store it in a more concealed location if need be. A quick push of the button on the side and it comes down and locks place, ready for action.

The only drawback is that it wears on your skin along your jawbone if you fire it for very long.... left me with a bit of a friction burn after my last shoot.
The Following User Says Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,515 Times in 944 Posts

I'm going with the Romanian side folder with OST cheek piece.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/wir...heekpiece.aspx
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,039 Posts

i know this is an old thread but i had to chime in, the tapco side folder is rock solid. I have been running one on my old WASR beater for 2 years now. Like most stories on the net it is simply not true, for the $40 go buy one and try to break it if you do manage to do so just send back in. the only way i see it breaking is if you start using your rifle as a club.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM

I have a Yugoslavian AK with the underfolding stock. When I first bought it, the stock was angled to the right and would have problems clearing both the mag and safety. It also seemed a little loose and didn't appear to "engage" into the folding position. (Meaning that you could unfold it without pushing the release button). I disassembled the stock and bent the right rear side of it by the hinge area using vice grips. I also tightened it more than it was before.

Now, it is on tight. Perfectly clears both the mag and safety with confidence. It engages into the underfolder position without extra effort. The stock does have a slight up and down wobble to it that initially may appear as a problem for aiming, but once you firmly grip the AK and hold it against your shoulder, there is no way the stock can move anywhere.

And yes it is made by Century Arms
Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

I agree. Sonny Puzikas is the Master of the AK-47. Former Spetsnaz and now a proud American. Check his stuff out at www.gospelofviolence.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Kravist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Prepared

I have thee AKs that have folding stocks. I have a Tapco folding stock. It is functional but it is my least favorite. I have a Yugo underfolder. It's pretty sweet. Definitely my favorite. I also have a Frankenstein with an AMD65 folding stock on it. I like it too but it lacks a place for a good cheek weld.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Next month I am looking at getting another AK47, or at least putting one on lay-away.

I dont know about those tapsco stocks, they look nice but this is the kind I really want

http://riflestocks.com/AKStampedNoMods.htm
ACE.......ACE........ACE.......what can I say......I have 3 and currently I believe them to be 1. The most sturdy 2. The most useful/comfortable and 3. The best looking a.k.a. Galil/ FN PARA. The various factory stocks look best but are not very ergonomic besides the AK-74 triangle design. Being big and tall I used to be convinced that I needed more LOP in my stocks but they were boltguns. When I started working with carbine style guns with the squared up stance I realized that alot of the standard stocks fit me fine. I just find underfolders and the wire side folders on AK's do not fit. Just my 2
Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 PM

There is a company in russia called STK. They make the highest quality ones i have seen to date.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Keep your fists up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Man View Post
I have thee AKs that have folding stocks. I have a Tapco folding stock. It is functional but it is my least favorite. I have a Yugo underfolder. It's pretty sweet. Definitely my favorite. I also have a Frankenstein with an AMD65 folding stock on it. I like it too but it lacks a place for a good cheek weld.
I didn't the Tapco side folder either. Then I went to the side folding AIT http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS520-6.html but I wanted to get closer to the receiver so I just switched it out for the Tapco Interfuse T6 stock which I really like.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Parapup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch1 View Post
ACE.......ACE........ACE.......what can I say......I have 3 and currently I believe them to be 1. The most sturdy 2. The most useful/comfortable and 3. The best looking a.k.a. Galil/ FN PARA. The various factory stocks look best but are not very ergonomic besides the AK-74 triangle design. Being big and tall I used to be convinced that I needed more LOP in my stocks but they were boltguns. When I started working with carbine style guns with the squared up stance I realized that alot of the standard stocks fit me fine. I just find underfolders and the wire side folders on AK's do not fit. Just my 2
how difficult are the ace stocks to install? Can i do it myself, or do i need a smith's help?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,874 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone have a folding stock on their AK-47? If so, what is the brand name of the stock, do you like it, does it work ok?

I am interesting in a stock that folds to the left so it does not interfere with the safety and bolt operation of the AK.

Years ago I read an article that made perfect sense. The author said why do ak-47 stocks fold to the bottom, where they can hit the magazine, or fold to the right where they can interfere with the bolt and safety operation, when the stock can just fold to the left and be out of the way. It was like the designers of the folding stocks were stupid or blind or both. This article was wrote back on the 1980's. So I am wondering if designers of folding stocks have wised up any?

I am looking at buying a folding stock for am AK, so any suggestions or input would be helpful.

Saiga make a nice one. Locks up tight and doesn't wobble.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 AM
}:)~

I would say for the money the ACE stocks are the best quality, also you can mount it to go in either direction.

They are a bit on the price heavy side but worth every penny.

There are two mounting options.

One with a receiver block that extends out 1 or 1 1/2 inches. Then the hinge and stock assembly.

Second is an internal receiver block that sits flush with the rear of the reciever (you must cut the stock tang/tab off) then the hinge and stock mount to there.

The second sits more flush and makes for a smaller package. Even tho you have to remove the tab that holds the stock in. You get a better look and feel.

With the first option, you can change back to a normal stock if you want without modification.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Hey guys,
This is more of an FYI for people contemplating cutting off their tang.
Cut the tang off my Saiga 7.62 in the hopes of using an ACE sidefolder setup which I heard was rock solid.

I bought the Ace A500PB with the pushbutton. Almost $100 from Midway. As soon as I got it, I thought it was a tiny bit sloppy, but thought it a compromise since it was a folder.

The design looked flawed and had an adjustment screw that corrected the slop.
Well, over time it appears that the hardened set screw has warn it's way ..056" of the way deep into the other side of the folder. I keep adjusting it, but now the stock is 20 degrees off when the stock is in the shouldered position. I'm disappointed, but knowing that it's a US gun part, the manufacturer will stand by it.

So I email Ace last Wednesday. I include a model number and Tim's secretary emails me back the following day asking me some qualifying questions about the folder. I answer her questions within minutes of receiving the email, but don't get a response until the next day. Once again I get an email from Tiffany stating that the model is defective and they have a newer version. She doesn't tell me if they will replace it or anything else. That response was Thursday. I emailed her back immediately asking if they would replace it and no email as of yet.

First couple of posters were right, Tim (boss) was out of town. Man, I'm really impatient .

Kind of disappointed in the part and even more disappointed that is has been 3 business days of correspondence and I don't know if they cover it or not. I almost feel like returning it to Midway, even though I bought it a year ago. I might want to have the tang re-welded back on. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore.

I want to vent to you guys and set up some info on the web for other guys before they cut off their tang to put on one of the few options out there for a sidefolder.

I'll keep you posted if they rectify the situation.
**************** UPDATE ***************************
Email from Tiffany to me:
"Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately with it being a year and a half since you purchased the folding stock mechanism we will not be able pay for the shipping to us or the shipping back to you. In most cases if it has been over 30 days since you purchased the product we will not exchange it, unless it is a warranty issue. The mailing address you will need to send the FSM-PB to is"

I think that this is absolute garbage. This piece of crap was $100 bucks and now I have to spend $15 to get a new one, that'll probably be a piece of crap after a year, too.
I'm going to send it back to Midway for credit on my account. Unbelievable.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobravenom39 View Post
I think that this is absolute garbage. This piece of crap was $100 bucks and now I have to spend $15 to get a new one, that'll probably be a piece of crap after a year, too.
I'm going to send it back to Midway for credit on my account. Unbelievable.
I would just pay the $15 bucks. Most people have had good luck with them so more than likely you wont have any more.

I read your post on Ak47.net too.

welcome to the forum!